Just Look at the Versatility

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimmytantric. Show jimmytantric's posts

Re: Just Look at the Versatility

In response to TFB12's comment:

In response to teegee's comment:

TFB,  Take a deep breath, man.

I know.. It gets a bit tiring knocking these people down who make comments like they are facts, yet their comments are only their speculation.  Like all of Rusty's comments and ones like this......

From pcmIV "Because he is fast enough and big enough to run routes in the route tree that Welker cannot. Whether you like it or not this is a fact.  Read any analyst that watches tape and they will say this.?

I mean really?  Where is the proof of this?  Then why didn't the Rams not do so?  Amendola was in the slot position a higher percentage of snaps then Welker was.  Please tell me, what can Amendola do in this offense better then Welker? 

I have to agree with TFB here simply due to the fact that NO ONE in the NFL has matched Welkers stats the past 4-5 years-and to assume Amendola will is well, presumptous.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to redsoxfan94's comment:

In response to 42AND46's comment:

tfb u agree with my posts? isn't is funny all these flaws and limits welker suddenly got?

I don't agree with much of what you say around here (hahahaha) but you are speaking the truth when you say that.  Everyone is clung onto Amendola's nads and he hasn't proved a whole lot during his career yet.  With the exception of not being able to play complete seasons.  And he hasn't even played 1 down for the Pats and several here are already anointing him as this star playmaker that the Patriots offense has been lacking for so many years.  After 6 years of lighting up the field, being the most dependable and productive player on offense (outside of Brady) missing what.. 3 games out of 6 years, taking the hits that he took and then refusing $5mill a year, the guy is treated as a slouch.  Pretty sickning!

And let's get this straight everyone, I would be arguing just as much had this happened with another top player on the team.  Well, matter of fact I did when they let Moss go.  And guess what, I was correct then. They still have not got a deep threat to fill that void!

what rusty won't hear of and so doesn't add into the equation is the fact that i never feared the pats D, not in 07 or 11...i did have major concerns about pats O both games and welker was a real pain in the a** who made me yell at the tv

you mean screaming in excitement after welker dropped that pass in super bowl 46?

look, welker was great here and i appreciate everything he did. but enough of this sense that the patriots will be much worse off without him. the pats have continually put up great offensive numbers during the regular season, the problem is they have sh*t their pants every time they had to go up against a tough, physical defense[jets, ravens, giants]. obviously what danny will do as a pat is unknown at this point...but it was obvious a change was needed on the offensive side and thats just what is happening. the offense and brady need to know that putting up 17, 14, and 13 points in key playoff games is just flat out unacceptable.

Which Offense is more productive?

27 points in 13 posessions or 17 points in 8 possessions?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

In response to jimmytantric's comment:

Their are some very intelligent posters on this board and I think all can agree on one thing--IF Amendola STAYS healthy, and thats a big if, TB will get him the ball a lot and his catches and stats will go WAY up--the kids a talent but that does NO good if you can't suit up!

yes, the kid is incredibility talented. he is more versatile than welker could ever dream of being. but yes he has to stay healthy. if he does, he is going to put up big numbers in that offense. i get why people are upset that welker is gone, he was great....but sometimes you just have to trust the team is doing the right thing. they are also most likely far from being done at adding players to brady's arsenal. we could see lloyd back and sanders.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

In response to pezz4pats's comment:

tfb u agree with my posts? isn't is funny all these flaws and limits welker suddenly got?

I don't agree with much of what you say around here (hahahaha) but you are speaking the truth when you say that.  Everyone is clung onto Amendola's nads and he hasn't proved a whole lot during his career yet.  With the exception of not being able to play complete seasons.  And he hasn't even played 1 down for the Pats and several here are already anointing him as this star playmaker that the Patriots offense has been lacking for so many years.  After 6 years of lighting up the field, being the most dependable and productive player on offense (outside of Brady) missing what.. 3 games out of 6 years, taking the hits that he took and then refusing $5mill a year, the guy is treated as a slouch.  Pretty sickning!

And let's get this straight everyone, I would be arguing just as much had this happened with another top player on the team.  Well, matter of fact I did when they let Moss go.  And guess what, I was correct then. They still have not got a deep threat to fill that void!

what rusty won't hear of and so doesn't add into the equation is the fact that i never feared the pats D, not in 07 or 11...i did have major concerns about pats O both games and welker was a real pain in the a** who made me yell at the tv

you mean screaming in excitement after welker dropped that pass in super bowl 46?

look, welker was great here and i appreciate everything he did. but enough of this sense that the patriots will be much worse off without him. the pats have continually put up great offensive numbers during the regular season, the problem is they have sh*t their pants every time they had to go up against a tough, physical defense[jets, ravens, giants]. obviously what danny will do as a pat is unknown at this point...but it was obvious a change was needed on the offensive side and thats just what is happening. the offense and brady need to know that putting up 17, 14, and 13 points in key playoff games is just flat out unacceptable.

you can beat that dead horse all day long if you want to....but no matter how you slice it, scoring in the low teens in big playoff games, not to mention not scoring at all in the second half, is not good. your spin just isnt going to work. intelligent people know the offense has stalled in the big games. if you want to blame the defense to protect brady and the offense from being blames, go ahead, but nothing will change the fact that the offense couldnt muster up HALF of their regular season scoring averages come the big playoff games.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I know.. It gets a bit tiring knocking these people down who make comments like they are facts, yet their comments are only their speculation.  Like all of Rusty's comments and ones like this......

From pcmIV "Because he is fast enough and big enough to run routes in the route tree that Welker cannot. Whether you like it or not this is a fact.  Read any analyst that watches tape and they will say this.?

I mean really?  Where is the proof of this?  Then why didn't the Rams not do so?  Amendola was in the slot position a higher percentage of snaps then Welker was.  Please tell me, what can Amendola do in this offense better then Welker? 

as an outside fan it is funny as hell to me to see all these flaws and weaknesses welker suddenly got in the last couple of months

Gints, the only thing I want to see less than Bill Belichick in short shorts is Bill Parcells in short shorts. I don't mind you on here talking about the Giants all the time, but please do us all a favour and change your avatar. I mean really, after all the Pats have done to help the Giants win their last two Super Bowls, that's the least you could do for us. Maybe try Ronald McDonald, since we've already got the Burger King?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

sure russ

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

Great. Thanks for the contribution BG. You are a valued contibutor to a board of a team you hate. Does it make you heel better about yourself to be on this board, or conversing with your giant friends about the team you actually follow? 

uh....what?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

as an outside fan it is funny as hell to me to see all these flaws and weaknesses welker suddenly got in the last couple of months

Gints, the only thing I want to see less than Bill Belichick in short shorts is Bill Parcells in short shorts. I don't mind you on here talking about the Giants all the time, but please do us all a favour and change your avatar. I mean really, after all the Pats have done to help the Giants win their last two Super Bowls, that's the least you could do for us. Maybe try Ronald McDonald, since we've already got the Burger King?

ronald macdonald? jeez i dont know....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

you can beat that dead horse all day long if you want to....but no matter how you slice it, scoring in the low teens in big playoff games, not to mention not scoring at all in the second half, is not good. your spin just isnt going to work. intelligent people know the offense has stalled in the big games. if you want to blame the defense to protect brady and the offense from being blames, go ahead, but nothing will change the fact that the offense couldnt muster up HALF of their regular season scoring averages come the big playoff games.

Just answer the question.  Which offense is more productive?

They scored less than their regular season average which BTW, is an average which ranges between 17 and 49 points,  BECAUSE THEY HAD LESS OPPORTUNITY TO SCORE!!!!

Only a DEAD HORSE, wouldn't understand that.!!!!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

They scored less than their regular season average which BTW, is an average which ranges between 17 and 49 points,  BECAUSE THEY HAD LESS OPPORTUNITY TO SCORE!!!!

the other thing rusty and his myriad accounts and disciples won't hear of or acknowledge is the opponent's D...they blame brady and the pats O for "failing" but nary a mention that they faced a couple of pretty good and tough D's in the Ravens and Giants

gotta give them credit though-not many could insult 3 franchises-including their own-at once!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

the other thing rusty and his myriad accounts and disciples won't hear of or acknowledge is the opponent's D...they blame brady and the pats O for "failing" but nary a mention that they faced a couple of pretty good and tough D's in the Ravens and Giants

gotta give them credit though-not many could insult 3 franchises-including their own-at once!

That's because he (they) have tunnel vision and think the game resolves around offense,

never acknowledging defense of any kind. 

Wonder if that's because the D has been non-existent for half their (his) life time.

Has to be , 13-14!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

That's because he (they) have tunnel vision and think the game resolves around offense,

Wonder if that's because the D has been non-existent for half their (his) life time.

Has to be , 13-14!

real happy to see you have made a friend out of the giants troll.....and yes the game does revolve around offense....its an offensive oriented league. just look at all the numbers qb's put up this day in age. even the best defenses in the league allow some points, just look at the super bowl for example....it was 1 34-31 game....and dont give me that possessions bullsh*t, such a cop-out answer.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

here u go prolate

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to APpats21's comment:

In response to RidingWithTheKingII's comment:

He's being obtuse because he has an illness. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.

I had no idea he was from California and a bandwagon fan either.  Not a fan of that kind of behavior especially when I had been going to games since the early/mid 80s.

He thinks it's all about a few offensive players in an offensive era for stats and no cap era responsibility.

His whole reason for being here is BB and his cap era genius.

Dude youre so full of it hahaha people like to argue and disagree with you because youre so annoying. What does going to games mean? I havent been to many and I started watching the season Bledsoe went down. Does that make me a bandwagoner or a pink hat? Im 19 years old. Just because someone has a different view than you doesnt mean they are wrong. Its called opinions. Just like you think TFB12 has a mancrush on Welker, it really seems like you got a little thing for BB ;) I dont know anyone who has called him master more times than you have hahaha kinda creepy bro. The funny things is too is im glad people like 42and46 and lessphatrex are here because its funny to see you get so mad. If you were more humble and less pompous, then people would like you better. I will argee with you that BB is a genius. Im excited by the aspect that our offense can be so explosive next season. I still think we will be in spread a lot but its not like our running game was bad at all. All in all, learn to admit when youre wrong and stop being stuck up. Its really not that hard haha but who knows, you may be a lost cause.

u made a key mistake unfortunately: u said ur age-and worse it's only 19

now rusty will call you a "millenial" and say how ur whole generation is dragging western civilization down and how ur just a kid blah blah blah...just wait it will be in his next post

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKingII's comment:

He's being obtuse because he has an illness. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.

I had no idea he was from California and a bandwagon fan either.  Not a fan of that kind of behavior especially when I had been going to games since the early/mid 80s.

He thinks it's all about a few offensive players in an offensive era for stats and no cap era responsibility.

His whole reason for being here is BB and his cap era genius.

Dude youre so full of it hahaha people like to argue and disagree with you because youre so annoying. What does going to games mean? I havent been to many and I started watching the season Bledsoe went down. Does that make me a bandwagoner or a pink hat? Im 19 years old. Just because someone has a different view than you doesnt mean they are wrong. Its called opinions. Just like you think TFB12 has a mancrush on Welker, it really seems like you got a little thing for BB ;) I dont know anyone who has called him master more times than you have hahaha kinda creepy bro. The funny things is too is im glad people like 42and46 and lessphatrex are here because its funny to see you get so mad. If you were more humble and less pompous, then people would like you better. I will argee with you that BB is a genius. Im excited by the aspect that our offense can be so explosive next season. I still think we will be in spread a lot but its not like our running game was bad at all. All in all, learn to admit when youre wrong and stop being stuck up. Its really not that hard haha but who knows, you may be a lost cause.

u made a key mistake unfortunately: u said ur age-and worse it's only 19

now rusty will call you a "millenial" and say how ur whole generation is dragging western civilization down and how ur just a kid blah blah blah...just wait it will be in his next post

Hahaha yes I know and im expecting it but its fine. Our generation is pretty impressive and technology is the future, is it our fault we have embraced it?

pay him no mind

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

yes, the kid is incredibility talented. he is more versatile than welker could ever dream of being. but yes he has to stay healthy. if he does, he is going to put up big numbers in that offense. i get why people are upset that welker is gone, he was great....but sometimes you just have to trust the team is doing the right thing. they are also most likely far from being done at adding players to brady's arsenal. we could see lloyd back and sanders.

See, this is what I mean.  Are you Rusty with a different screen name??  How can you say Amendola is more versatile then Welker could ever dream of being?  Where is your proof of this??  Do we hope he is more versatile??? Yes!  But he hasn't shown it yet.  You have no facts of this, this is only your assumption!! 

Have you not been paying attention?  In the last 4 years Amendola has ran his routes from the slot position 85% of the time while Welker has 74% of the time.  Since 2009 Amendola has 5 receptions running deep routes while Welker has 17.  In 2012 Welker was targeted in screen passes 22 times, Amendola just 7.  So please tell me how you come to the conclussion that Amendola is more versatile.  Is Amendola playing running back or QB that I didn't know about?? Because he certainly hasn't shown to be more versatile anywhere else. 

Just another person who is spouting off comments that are untrue.  Maybe you should say you think he could be more versatile then Welker or I hope he can be more versatile then Welker but to say he is as a matter of fact is plain wrong!!  Are you Rusty's twin or something?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from csylvia79. Show csylvia79's posts

TFB ... Stop using facts! Lord knows you can't disprove Rusty's eye tests and blind faith that BB has never made any personnel mistakes.  Lord know Welker has no highlights on YouTube showing how good he is.... 

I hope he will be great because i love the team. Don't mind rusty and rust clone, one would argue his grandmother over the best way to bake cookies the other is going to pop right in afterward to agree an explain why she is wrong. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to csylvia79's comment:

TFB ... Stop using facts! Lord knows you can't disprove Rusty's eye tests and blind faith that BB has never made any personnel mistakes.  Lord know Welker has no highlights on YouTube showing how good he is.... 

I hope he will be great because i love the team. Don't mind rusty and rust clone, one would argue his grandmother over the best way to bake cookies the other is going to pop right in afterward to agree an explain why she is wrong. 

Hahahaha!!  Well done!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

Has to be , 13-14!

real happy to see you have made a friend out of the giants troll.....and yes the game does revolve around offense....its an offensive oriented league. just look at all the numbers qb's put up this day in age. even the best defenses in the league allow some points, just look at the super bowl for example....it was 1 34-31 game....and dont give me that possessions bullsh*t, such a cop-out answer.

That's funny.  Last time I checked. offenses play against Defenses and not the other O.

Wonder why they even bother to have defenses at all?

Here's another question for you, since you didn't like the first one.

Which D is better?  One that allows 29 points in 13 possessions or one that allows 19 in 8?

You don't know do you?   The answer is the opposite of the first question, I'll tell you that..

Well possessions do matter.  That's what makes the game unique, unlike baseball where each team has 9 times to score and the one with the most points win. You can 8 or 18 and that all depends on how well the D is doing their job.  No offense is going to keep the ball for 5 minutes a possession unless the D lets them.  And that's a major fail.

Each and ever time the D is on the field for huge amounts of time, whether the other teams scores or not, they've lost.  Time can be your friend or your enemy.

For each 5 minute drive on D, that's 1 less opportunity for your offense to score.  Even if they settle for three, that's 3 PLUS no opportunity for you to score.  It's worse than your O getting a pick because they NEVER get the opportunity.  Now multiply that by 8 possessions.  That's 16 minutes your qb never sees the field and should have or would have if your D did their dam job.  If you didn't notice the difference in TOP was 16 minutes.

If you don't understand that, there's no hope for you.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

here u go prolate

Much better! You're now officially the anti-Rusty.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

You mean the 27th ranked Giants defense in 2011, and the 17th ranked Ravens in 2012? Those defenses? Both were below average as far as I can tell.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Why am I being so obtuse on Amendola being used on the outside?  Because some of you take it as a fact that he can.  How do you know?  Just because of his physical attributes, even though he has not proved it in his entire career?  A guy who played 83% of his snaps in the slot position, has only 5 deep route receptions since 2009, for 163 yards and has only been in 12 out of the last 32 games is going to come in and be used on the outside and be effective?  I'm not so sure about that!  Welkers outside numbers were more impressive then that!!  But for some reason, based solely on physical attributes at 5'11", and ignoring all other data, you and a few others think he can come in and do so?  And you act like I'm the ignorant one!!

Listen, I hope he does but it's foolish to act like he can without any type of proof!  Oh, except his physical attributes... which don't happen to be very impressive compared to your normal wideouts. 

Now you tell me, Am I really off base here?  I don't think so.  Oh, and you are counting on Gronk and AH81 staying healthy enough to be on the field together to take up the middle.  Again, past history shows they can't stay healthy enough to be on the field together a lot during the season so Amendola will need to be in the slot more when that happens.

Do you happen to be Rusty?

Spare me.  There should be an equivalent of Godwin's law on this forum.  You lose an argument the second you accuse someone of being Rusty.  If you seriously think I am Rusty I feel bad for you.  I really do.

As to your other points they are irrelevant.  I've already pointed out that your stats are flawed because they don't take into account the context of the team each player is on nor do they capture the more important point of what kind of routes they run.  If you really think the Patriots had Wes running a full route tree when he lined up "outside" I suggest you watch some game tape and get back to me.  Again I fully expect Danny to spend a lot of time in the slot, but I expect him to be used in more creative ways on the outside as well.  I mean christ Belichick is on record saying he thinks Amendola can play inside and outside in our system.  That is the whole point here.  What he did in St. Louis is moot.  It is how you project him to fit in our system.  That is the nature of scouting.  What the hell do you think we were doing when we traded for Welker?  Projecting how he would fit in the system.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Everyone is clung onto Amendola's nads and he hasn't proved a whole lot during his career yet.  With the exception of not being able to play complete seasons.  And he hasn't even played 1 down for the Pats and several here are already anointing him as this star playmaker that the Patriots offense has been lacking for so many years.  After 6 years of lighting up the field, being the most dependable and productive player on offense (outside of Brady) missing what.. 3 games out of 6 years, taking the hits that he took and then refusing $5mill a year, the guy is treated as a slouch.  Pretty sickning!

This is a strawman.  I certainly haven't anointed him the star playmaker we have been lacking.  Nor have I argued letting Wes go wasn't without risk.  I am simply arguing that the justification for taking the risk of letting the dependable Welker go is that Amendola is a DIFFERENT PLAYER.

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You were not correct.  Yeah we haven't had a guy like Moss since he left, but Moss hasn't been Moss since he left either.  Get real.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

There's too much rusty on these boards. The majority of posts are either those from him, those against him, those defending him or those accusing someone else of being him. It's getting tiresome.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

Why am I being so obtuse on Amendola being used on the outside?  Because some of you take it as a fact that he can.  How do you know?  Just because of his physical attributes, even though he has not proved it in his entire career?  A guy who played 83% of his snaps in the slot position, has only 5 deep route receptions since 2009, for 163 yards and has only been in 12 out of the last 32 games is going to come in and be used on the outside and be effective?  I'm not so sure about that!  Welkers outside numbers were more impressive then that!!  But for some reason, based solely on physical attributes at 5'11", and ignoring all other data, you and a few others think he can come in and do so?  And you act like I'm the ignorant one!!

Listen, I hope he does but it's foolish to act like he can without any type of proof!  Oh, except his physical attributes... which don't happen to be very impressive compared to your normal wideouts. 

Now you tell me, Am I really off base here?  I don't think so.  Oh, and you are counting on Gronk and AH81 staying healthy enough to be on the field together to take up the middle.  Again, past history shows they can't stay healthy enough to be on the field together a lot during the season so Amendola will need to be in the slot more when that happens.

Do you happen to be Rusty?

Spare me.  There should be an equivalent of Godwin's law on this forum.  You lose an argument the second you accuse someone of being Rusty.  If you seriously think I am Rusty I feel bad for you.  I really do.

As to your other points they are irrelevant.  I've already pointed out that your stats are flawed because they don't take into account the context of the team each player is on nor do they capture the more important point of what kind of routes they run.  If you really think the Patriots had Wes running a full route tree when he lined up "outside" I suggest you watch some game tape and get back to me.  Again I fully expect Danny to spend a lot of time in the slot, but I expect him to be used in more creative ways on the outside as well.  I mean christ Belichick is on record saying he thinks Amendola can play inside and outside in our system.  That is the whole point here.  What he did in St. Louis is moot.  It is how you project him to fit in our system.  That is the nature of scouting.  What the hell do you think we were doing when we traded for Welker?  Projecting how he would fit in the system.

Well of course, but it seems like there's a lot of revisionist history going on here as folks try to argue that Amendola (who's not accomplished nearly as much as Welker has yet in his career) is clearly going to be better in 2013 than Welker would have been.  I'm not convinced.  Sure, Amendola has some skills that might make him more versatile than Welker and he hasn't been playing on as good a team as Welker has, but that doesn't prove that he will perform at the same level as Welker.  Plenty of guys with lesser skills have better careers than guys with greater skills because of various intangibles.  Welker has a lot of intangibles.  Amendola, to date, hasn't shown the same intangibles.  Part of that is because he's spent so much time on the bench--as a deep-down-the-depth-chart back-up for several years and then as an oft-injured player.  We all hope Amendola lives up to the potential we can see . . . but the jury is still out and we won't know until the season is well underway what we have . . . and what we may have lost. 

Sections
Shortcuts