Just Look at the Versatility

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Re: Just Look at the Versatility

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

Well of course, but it seems like there's a lot of revisionist history going on here as folks try to argue that Amendola (who's not accomplished nearly as much as Welker has yet in his career) is clearly going to be better in 2013 than Welker would have been.  I'm not convinced.  Sure, Amendola has some skills that might make him more versatile than Welker and he hasn't been playing on as good a team as Welker has, but that doesn't prove that he will perform at the same level as Welker.  Plenty of guys with lesser skills have better careers than guys with greater skills because of various intangibles.  Welker has a lot of intangibles.  Amendola, to date, hasn't shown the same intangibles.  Part of that is because he's spent so much time on the bench--as a deep-down-the-depth-chart back-up for several years and then as an oft-injured player.  We all hope Amendola lives up to the potential we can see . . . but the jury is still out and we won't know until the season is well underway what we have . . . and what we may have lost. 

Spot on.  pcmIV keeps talking as if it's fact about Amendola.  Well it isn't.  Numbers don't lie and as of now Amendola has not done anything to prove what pcmIV says about him.  Other then he is taller then Welker.  Until he proves and backs up what everyone anticipates from him, it's just a bunch of hot air.  Man, I hope he is a weapon all over the field, but again, there isn't anything he has done in his career yet that proves he will be.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

Spot on.  pcmIV keeps talking as if it's fact about Amendola.  Well it isn't.  Numbers don't lie and as of now Amendola has not done anything to prove what pcmIV says about him.  Other then he is taller then Welker.  Until he proves and backs up what everyone anticipates from him, it's just a bunch of hot air.  Man, I hope he is a weapon all over the field, but again, there isn't anything he has done in his career yet that proves he will be.

You are being obtuse again.  I haven't made any claims that Danny will be better than Welker. I haven't made any claims that he will put up the same numbers as Welker did here.  I certainly didn't claim he will remain healthy.  I am saying they are different players.  Similar?  Yes, but different so simply viewing the trade as the older dependable receiver for the younger injury prone one is simple minded.  I keep saying it was a risk.  Why would I say that if I thought it was guaranteed Amendola was going to be some dam star.  Jesus christ your strawmanning in defense of Wes is pathetic.  I am not some troll cheering about how "Butterfingers" is gone, but your argument that Amendola is just an injury prone version of Wes is wrong as well.  For the last time.  THEY ARE DIFFERENT PLAYERS.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from csylvia79. Show csylvia79's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

You are being obtuse again.  I haven't made any claims that Danny will be better than Welker. I haven't made any claims that he will put up the same numbers as Welker did here.  I certainly didn't claim he will remain healthy.  I am saying they are different players.  Similar?  Yes, but different so simply viewing the trade as the older dependable receiver for the younger injury prone one is simple minded.  I keep saying it was a risk.  Why would I say that if I thought it was guaranteed Amendola was going to be some dam star.  Jesus christ your strawmanning in defense of Wes is pathetic.  I am not some troll cheering about how "Butterfingers" is gone, but your argument that Amendola is just an injury prone version of Wes is wrong as well.  For the last time.  THEY ARE DIFFERENT PLAYERS.

Dude this whole argument was with Rusty over two threads now?  It started because Rust went off the cuff and stated Amendila is going to change the Pats philosophy and be under center more because he is better and totally different then Wes.  Your jumping in the middle of an arguement in which I think TFD made valid points which Rusty had yet to address. You steping in midstream, answering a post that was for Rusty.....I think so he was being sarcastic asking if your Rusty.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to csylvia79's comment:

Dude this whole argument was with Rusty over two threads now?  It started because Rust went off the cuff and stated Amendila is going to change the Pats philosophy and be under center more because he is better and totally different then Wes.  Your jumping in the middle of an arguement in which I think TFD made valid points which Rusty had yet to address. You steping in midstream, answering a post that was for Rusty.....I think so he was being sarcastic asking if your Rusty. 

Read this thread.  I made one post and TFB immediately calls me out specifically and has been ever since.  I don't think Rusty is entirely correct, but I don't think TFB is either and he keeps posting the same stuff over and over again as well.  That is the problem with this board.  People tend to categorize you as someone who agrees with Rusty or doesn't.  There is no room for nuance.  I happen to take a more nuanced view of the situation.  I think Rusty is correct on some things and I think he is wrong on some things.  In this case I think the truth is somewhere in the middle.  I will disagree with who I disagree with.  Sorry.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

well according to you idiots, everyone who isnt crying in their beer over welker leaving, is a rustyclone. you guys need to get over it. welker was a great patriot and his production will be missed. but dont exaggerate what he did here. he was great in the regular season and seemed like the perfect receiver for brady.....but theres a reason he didnt win any rings as a patriot....if he makes those catches that he missed in those big games, he may have 2-3 rings right now. dont get me wrong, im appreciative of what welker did here, but the patriots dont play for regular season stats, they play for rings....and in welker's 6 seasons as a patriot, they didnt win one championship.

as far as the defense goes, pezz you are just wrong. when you donate all of your time and money into making the offense good, and it is a machine during the regular season, you expect them to be productive in the playoffs. when they arent, theres obviously going to be some problems. the defense did all they could in those games to keep giving the offense chances, but the offense continued to sputter. ill give you sb42 because brady did make a play at the end to take a lead, however they only scored 14 points regardless....but sb46 and this past years loss are on the offense. you cant expect to win when you are going quarters and HALFS without scoring a single point on offense.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Well . . .  I'm certainly excited about what Amendola might be able to do if and when he's on the field, but realistically, we've heard all this before.

How many of these "unstoppable" offenses have we seen light up the dregs of the league all year and then sputter and die when New England meets a team of relatively commensurate ability in the post season?

Right now I'm thinking of the number 13 and trying to remember the last time the Pats won a game scoring that many points.

I know nobody wants to hear it, but the Pats haven't won a thing since they've adopted the Peyton Manning approach.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Well of course, but it seems like there's a lot of revisionist history going on here as folks try to argue that Amendola (who's not accomplished nearly as much as Welker has yet in his career) is clearly going to be better in 2013 than Welker would have been.  I'm not convinced.  Sure, Amendola has some skills that might make him more versatile than Welker and he hasn't been playing on as good a team as Welker has, but that doesn't prove that he will perform at the same level as Welker.  Plenty of guys with lesser skills have better careers than guys with greater skills because of various intangibles.  Welker has a lot of intangibles.  Amendola, to date, hasn't shown the same intangibles.  Part of that is because he's spent so much time on the bench--as a deep-down-the-depth-chart back-up for several years and then as an oft-injured player.  We all hope Amendola lives up to the potential we can see . . . but the jury is still out and we won't know until the season is well underway what we have . . . and what we may have lost. 

Amendola has done nothing? He caught 85 passes one year with a mediocre QB throwing to him. What was the most WW caught before he came here? It was in the 60s. And Amendola played in 11 games last year and did that. So to talk abount Amendola like he has not done anything is just to ignore his record.

On another level you could look at all the big plays he ahs made in the pros - cathcing and returning. Those plays show what kind of player he is.

In short he is not a draft choice.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:

Amendola has done nothing? He caught 85 passes one year with a mediocre QB throwing to him. What was the most WW caught before he came here? It was in the 60s. And Amendola played in 11 games last year and did that. So to talk abount Amendola like he has not done anything is just to ignore his record.

On another level you could look at all the big plays he ahs made in the pros - cathcing and returning. Those plays show what kind of player he is.

In short he is not a draft choice.

Amendola is averaging 49 receptions a year in four years and 8.8 yards per reception.  Welker is averaging 77 receptions per year over ten seasons and 11.5 yards per reception.  Welker has far better stats and far more proven consistency season after season.  Amendola has, at this point, one truly good season--and it was three seasons ago.  Sorry, Amendola has potential, but Welker has done it year after year.  There's simply no comparison in careers at this point. Amendola may indeed be on the upswing and Welker on the down, but until we play next season, we won't know for sure. 

Them's the facts. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

A PERSPECTIVE FROM ST LOUIS . . . .
      Should the Rams Really Risk Re-Signing Oft-Injured WR Danny Amendola?   BY  TYSON LANGLAND  (NFC WEST LEAD WRITER) ON MARCH 7, 2013

3,529 reads 

19 Icon_comment

Use your ← → (arrow) keys to browse more stories Next Hi-res-153117586_crop_exact   David Welker/Getty Images

For the sake of everyone's health, let's just be happy that the start of free agency is only five days away. Since the beginning of February until now, it seems as if every potential big-name free agent has been talked about 100 times over as they are linked to a 100 different teams.

Yet outside the St. Louis media market, wide receiver Danny Amendola hasn't received that same treatment. I've seen him linked to a total of three teams, the Rams,49ers and Patriots. Which really makes me think about this year's quote, unquote "weak" free-agent wide receiver class. 

Are teams slowly becoming more and more like the Pittsburgh Steelers of the world by focusing on building through the draft and not overspending on free agents? Because you see it every year—there's always that one organization that just goes hog wild and signs every high-dollar free agent possible. 

Or are potential free agents just not drumming up interest because of the tight cap implications so many teams are dealing with? We truly won't know until the opening bell sounds on March 12, but one thing we do know is that St. Louis is one of those organizations that will need every ounce of salary cap space possible to keep a couple of its own and potentially sign one or two newcomers. 

Leading me to my next question: Should Les Snead and Jeff Fisher do whatever it takes to re-sign Sam Bradford's favorite target? Less than a month ago, I said yes, at the right price, but now with potential competitors driving the price up on the Rams, I say no. 

Obviously, the most alarming issue when it comes to Amendola is his extensive injury history. One year (2010) after leading the NFL in all-purpose yards and the Rams in receiving yards, the former Texas Tech Red Raider was injured for the entirety of the season on the team's 40th offensive snap.

At the time, St. Louis was trying to mount an unprecedented comeback againstPhiladelphia, but any momentum garnered during its comeback attempt stopped after his injury. Initially, it was believed that Amendola had broken his arm after awkwardly landing on it, yet later on, after further examination, it was revealed that he had actually dislocated his elbow—a gruesome injury to say the least. 

There was hope within the Rams front office that No. 16 would return late in the season. However, that thought quickly dissipated when Amendola had a setback while rehabbing his elbow. It's probably for the better anyway, considering St. Louis' record was in the tank and the team had zero shot of making the playoffs. 

Before the 2012 season started, the 5'11'' wideout vowed to come back better than ever. Through the first four games of the season, it appeared as if he was keeping his word, but then Thursday Night Football happened.

For the second straight year, Amendola was going to miss an extended portion of the season due to an upper extremity injury. Sure, he didn't miss 15 games like in 2011, but he missed a quarter of the season after being diagnosed with a possible life-threatening collarbone injury. I know it doesn't sound all that logical, but Jay Glazer of Fox Sports does a great job of breaking it down in the video below.

In addition to all of the injury hubbub, the fourth-year wide receiver simply doesn't have the numbers to back up the mega payday some feel he deserves. He has never amassed more than 689 yards receiving in a season or more than three touchdowns. In 42 career games, he has gained 1,726 yards, caught 196 passes and scored seven touchdowns.

By analyzing those numbers, you realize he only averages 41 yards a game, four catches and his probability of catching a touchdown pass is around 16 percent. These are not exactly numbers that would put him into an elite category. 

Fans and media members alike have enjoyed overvaluing Amendola for one simple reason. He has been a standout player on an offense that has been wide-receiver starved since The Greatest Show on Turf left town. Not to mention the fact that the highest the Rams have finished on offense since his arrival in 2009 is 23rd. 

Surely, that's not his fault. He doesn't have any control over who St. Louis brings in during the offseason. But take a minute to think about it, who has been his biggest internal competition? The answer to that question may upset your stomach, but ultimately it has been Brandon Gibson through the years.

This year your answer could change to Chris Givens, given the fact he led the team in receiving yards and yards per reception. If you reflect back on the days of Billy Devaney and Steve Spagnuolo, you can confidently say that they successfully added one playmaker to the wide receiving corp in three years. 

Any guesses as to who the one playmaking upgrade was? If you guessed Brandon Lloyd, you hit the nail on the head. Outside of him, the most dynamic addition was Amendola himself. For a guy who has only found the end zone seven times and has a career long catch of 56 yards, that's not saying much. 

Don't get me wrong, there is some playmaking ability in his body, but it just doesn't show up enough on tape to warrant $6 million annually. Shoot, I don't even feel as if he deserves $4 million annually. There are plenty of veteran wide receivers who have stayed healthy and turned in better performances, while making a lot less than that. 

Yet, that's the overall nature of the market. A buyer's market always dictates the price. As they say, the beauty lies within the eye of the beholder. Which team is going to fall in love with Amendola when he is making the free-agent rounds? 

Will it be the Patriots, or will it be the 49ers? That remains to be seen, but for the sake of the Rams and their future, they just need to walk away. Every year since he joined their organization, they have gotten the better end of the deal because of his contract. 

Let someone else pay his second contract. Snead and Fisher have already proven they are fine evaluators of talent, so finding his replacement shouldn't be too monumental of a task whether that's in free agency or the draft. 

I realize amongst some this may not be a popular opinion, but no matter which way you slice it, it's the most logical decision all things considered. Gone are the days of 8-8 being acceptable, the new regime in place holds itself to a higher standard—and so should Rams fans by wanting a wideout who offers the complete package.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to p-mike's comment:

Well . . .  I'm certainly excited about what Amendola might be able to do if and when he's on the field, but realistically, we've heard all this before.

How many of these "unstoppable" offenses have we seen light up the dregs of the league all year and then sputter and die when New England meets a team of relatively commensurate ability in the post season?

Right now I'm thinking of the number 13 and trying to remember the last time the Pats won a game scoring that many points.

I know nobody wants to hear it, but the Pats haven't won a thing since they've adopted the Peyton Manning approach.

Agreed.

Looks like I'm hitting the bottle early today.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

i couldn't read much of this thread. Somebody give it to me in a nutshell... Is it the negatives saying Amendola doesn't answer anything and the positives saying he has loads of potential much like WW in in the 07 off season?

One thing I know is that I like this kids fire, and anybody who catches 15 of 16 targets with Sam Braford throwing him the ball has some sure hands.

Sun 9/16 W 31-28 15 16 160 10.7 56 1

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKingII's comment:

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

In response to p-mike's comment:

Agreed.

Looks like I'm hitting the bottle early today.

Cue the Welkerites and BBWs to now blame BB for that.  You know it's coming.

Get Brady a plethora of weapons in an offensive era, only to watch his ceberbral QB skills fade away at the same time, which is what Gomer struggled with from 1999-2005.

Hard to admit, but only Brady can really change that aspect.

No, Brady needs good offensive coaching and timely play calls to win against great teams.... much like most human beings who play football on this planet. If you don't think Brady is still the smartest QB in this LG then you have lost it.

Save the long response we've been over this.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from csylvia79. Show csylvia79's posts

i couldn't read much of this thread. Somebody give it to me in a nutshell... Is it the negatives saying Amendola doesn't answer anything and the positives saying he has loads of potential much like WW in in the 07 off season?

One thing I know is that I like this kids fire, and anybody who catches 15 of 16 targets with Sam Braford throwing him the ball has some sure hands.

Sun 9/16

W 31-28 15 16 160 10.7 56 1

-------------------------------------------------

Rusty just thinks adding Amendola is going to force Brady to be under center more and it has nothing to do with BB.

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from csylvia79. Show csylvia79's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKingII's comment:

In response to csylvia79's comment:

Sun 9/16

W 31-28 15 16 160 10.7 56 1

-------------------------------------------------

Rusty just think adding Amendola is going to force Brady to be under center more and it has nothing to do with BB.

It does have to do some with BB. Hey, I wonder if BB knows that Brady said he prefers being the shotgu back in 2010 on WEEI?

Odd.

Brady is really great at not divulging anything, but he did there. Hmm. Maybe he slipped up in a case of being honest?

Name me one starting Qb that does not use or preferr the shotgun and is on record saying so.

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts