Just me...or is this board dying?

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

Re: Just me...or is this board dying?

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

In response to UD6's comment:

Its definitely dying.  Its been going downhill for about a year or so.  This change to the new format makes it even worse.

When every thread became an epic BB can't coach and Brady can't play thread it caused arguing, as it should have. Oh well. I've got no argument left. Throw out a fact or two. That's about it for me at this point.

yes and who can forget all of the threads bashing BB and his defense! it just got old. this is a new season and a new team, i don't think that we will be seeing any of that this year on any of those arguements. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

Gee, I duuno, seems like the same ole place to me.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

In response to Dessalines' comment:

It is. Just less user friendly.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

I remember when I started reading this board (which is well before I started posting) that if I didn't check it at least once every few hours that most of the material on the first page was completely new.  We aren't even close to that now.  Now it's true that maybe we are just posting less idiotic threads or that things will pick up a lot more once we get farther into the season, but it definitely seems dead here to me.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

I don't think that Boston.com really care much about this chat board. If it doesn't generate revenue, how big of a priority do you think it is to them? It's pretty funny of people to expect some great service for something that is free. Of course having some of the fuctionality back would be great....especially the "ignore" button....but I'm not holding my breath.

By the way...if anyone thinks "Dottie" is a real name of a real person, I have some wetlands for sale for you. I'm sure it's just a handle used by a group of people monitoring this board.

It's free folks....whatever happens.....happens.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to tanbass' comment:

I don't think that Boston.com really care much about this chat board. If it doesn't generate revenue, how big of a priority do you think it is to them? It's pretty funny of people to expect some great service for something that is free. Of course having some of the fuctionality back would be great....especially the "ignore" button....but I'm not holding my breath.

By the way...if anyone thinks "Dottie" is a real name of a real person, I have some wetlands for sale for you. I'm sure it's just a handle used by a group of people monitoring this board.

There are numerous free boards offered that work and are feature laden. It's no big deal whatsoever to provide a board. If you get traffic, you can make money. The thing with this place is the BDC traffic.

I made a board a few years back. It's free, works, has good features... just doesn't have the one thing you need.... traffic.

http://patsfanforum.proboards.com/

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

We still have a Jets troll so there's some continuity.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from part-timer. Show part-timer's posts

In response to tanbass's comment:

Tell us....where is there a PAY messageboard???? First time I hear about that...Boards support them selves with hit through the adds....You know those anoying pop ups....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

[/QUOTE]

I suspect they are not sitting on thier hands..they just invested $$ in this site upgrading the technology. I suspect big $$ cause it seems custom (due to the bugs) not a packaged forum solution. Custom means real programmers and orignal code more money but more flexibility in the long run.

Just in case you are right what are the best other options you are talking about?

Here's one for you :   http://www.patsfans.com/

[/QUOTE]

Just spent a few minutes checking that site out. Here's a few immediate thoughts:

1) The site is a little confusing at first...as they have EVERYTHING you could want as a Pats fan. They link Pats related articles from any and all sources. They have recent activity from the message board, and most relevent Patriots Twitters. All this is on the front page.

2) It takes a few clicks to get to the actual message board...so I saved you the trouble: http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/10/patsfans-com-patriots-fan-forum.html

3) In the past 24 hours, 25 individual threads have been posted to. That's about equal to BDC. Except the content of the threads are ALL team related, none venturing off about individual posters, and few about other teams (noticed one thread ragging on the Jets). Also, though the same NUMBER of threads have been posted to as here, those threads have been posted to with a lot more frequency.

4) Best case scenario for BDC...would end up looking a lot like what Patsfan already is. There are about 8 threads pinned above the regular message board...and none of them are from a month old game. They all make sense, such as the "new member area" where new posters are ENCOURAGED to introduce themselves, and get used to the layout before posting. This is in stark contrast to the BDC "you haven't posted enough to have that opinion" nonsense I hear from time to time that posters impose on one another.

I, for one, will be trying it out over the next few days. I'll share my experiences here, I'm curious if anyone else has experience over there?

And thanks PT, that was a solid suggestion.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from neinmd. Show neinmd's posts

Great site. Thanks for spreading the word. I am not quite ready (almost there though!) to abandon this board but now I will regularly visit both sites.

[/QUOTE]

Here's one for you :   http://www.patsfans.com/

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOTBLITZ. Show HOTBLITZ's posts

Love this board and all of it's members. The new format certainly stinks for many reasons but I refuse to abandon the only board I've followed since I starting following any sort of message board.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

I've been pretty busy the past month. I always look forward to the game threads now.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

The board is experiencing technical issues as the powers that be try to 'upgrade'.  Not uncommon on a popular chat board.  Quite frankly, regardless of what posters think both Babe and Rusty generate activity on the board.  I don't always agree with either of them but simply because their posting styles have an 'edge' doesn't mean that they don't bring worthwhile dialog to the table.

Once the wrinkles get ironed out I think posting activity will increase. 

On a personal note, I haven't posted much lately simply because I'm recovering from some injuries I incurred in an automobile accident.  I expect to be back to battery here in the coming weeks and hope to be more active on the board.

Hang in everyone. 

atj,

recover well.

look forward to your getting back up to speed (in general and here)....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

The board is experiencing technical issues as the powers that be try to 'upgrade'.  Not uncommon on a popular chat board.  Quite frankly, regardless of what posters think both Babe and Rusty generate activity on the board.  I don't always agree with either of them but simply because their posting styles have an 'edge' doesn't mean that they don't bring worthwhile dialog to the table.

Once the wrinkles get ironed out I think posting activity will increase. 

On a personal note, I haven't posted much lately simply because I'm recovering from some injuries I incurred in an automobile accident.  I expect to be back to battery here in the coming weeks and hope to be more active on the board.

Hang in everyone. 

Hope you're feeling better soon, ATJ. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I assume the change was a cost-saving move.  I'm not an IT guy, but I assume they were paying some kind of licencing fee for the old software.  The other expense I imagine they have for this board is server space.  It's a profitable venture for the Globe/NYT only if the visits here allow them to increase their ad revenue above what it costs to maintain the board.  I know nothing of the economics of this particular business, but it strikes me that providing a free chat board is a difficult way to make profits.  I've seen this on other sites, where the owners keep "upgrading" the software to reduce costs and eventually just kill the chat room.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Dottie isn't her name? Well I would like to take a look at that swamp land. Pay no attention to them Dottie. Don't forget about the knockout pool... You get a week 1 freebie just cause its you. So about that edit function?

As far as them not making money. If it wasnt for this board I'd never read any article here, never look at their popup advertisements, or never even visit this paper. If they treat the board like a profit center it'll be one. A small amount of moderation they could get a lot of traffic here.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

WOW! This board is dead.  You can hear "Taps" playing in the background.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from csylvia79. Show csylvia79's posts

In response to pezz4pats' comment:

WOW! This board is dead.  You can hear "Taps" playing in the background.

Very slow for the day before a game....

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from NESportnut. Show NESportnut's posts

Not dead, just a littie less animated than in the past. It does seen to have far less annoying trolls than before...............

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

The world is full of egotistical corporate executives.  Somebody somewhere said that people won't mind if we go backwards in time to when posters couldn't edit their posts, when people couldn't link from the sports page to the forums and when multi-meaning words such as hi t and ho le were considered never to be used in polite company.  The Globe's new editing software costs too much, and once the Globe is committed to a glorious great leap forward, nothing can stop their juggernaut.  Besides, once the trial period is over they think they can paywall us for using this dreck. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Changes to the board notwithstanding, is anybody besides me looking at this season as a foregone conclusion?

I look at the Pats . . .   and I look at the division . . .   and I look at the schedule . . .  and I'm just waiting for the rematch with Baltimore in the conference championship.

Who gives a(n) **expletive deleted** about Tennesee and Arizona?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

In response to p-mike's comment:

Who gives a(n) **expletive deleted** about Tennesee and Arizona?

lmao.  Another reason why the site is dying....all the posters who have a sense of humor don't participate as much as before....or took the off-season away from this board.......

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

Nothing like a tough loss to breathe life into an otherwise dead board.

Sections
Shortcuts