Just read Tony Gonzalez might be open to the idea of playing with an Elite QB

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Re: Just read Tony Gonzalez might be open to the idea of playing with an Elite QB

In response to 49Patriots' comment:

Gronk is a 4 year pro, I don't think he needs a mentor, but Gonzo would make a nice complement to Gronk.

Gonzalez is what? 37-38 years old?

Gronk is what? 25?

I am sure there are things about the pro game, the position of TE and how to conduct oneself as a man that will rub off on Gronk in a positive way from having Tony next to him.

It'd be the same as when he had Crumpler year 1. Although that obvious did nothing for Hernandez, giving both that TE's 40-65 million extensions age 22-23 and having no great mentor as a 3rd string guy (Fells definitely wasn't it) probably helped lead to the issues of the past 2 years.

Even if Gronk's are 90% injury related and Hernandez was probably a lost cause sociopath from day 1.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sobchack. Show Sobchack's posts

Re: Just read Tony Gonzalez might be open to the idea of playing with an Elite QB

If he wants to win a SB, he needs to go to Seattle or SF for the minimum.    

The Pats road to a SB next year will involve beefing up the D to a Top 5 NFL level.  Gomer's "show" got shredded like balsa wood last week.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to Sobchack's comment:

If he wants to win a SB, he needs to go to Seattle or SF for the minimum.    

The Pats road to a SB next year will involve beefing up the D to a Top 5 NFL level.  Gomer's "show" got shredded like balsa wood last week.

Yes, except he can't. It's Atlanta or the golf course.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In response to agcsbill's comment:

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

Would like to know the source and see the actual quote. The statement is interesting for two reasons.

1) He's saying Ryan is not elite even though getting paid elite money.

2) He could be referring to either PM or TB. However, given everyone knows the problems the Pats is having now at TE, he was probably talking about TB.

3) At what price to the Pats? Acquiring him at a reasonable price could be great for the Pats. That could relieve the pressure to pickup a TE high in the draft, so the Pats can get other needs at OL and DL.

If Gonzalez has a team in mind, and if it is the Pats, what he may have seen is a team that made it as far as it did with all those injuries and without much of a TE to throw to when Gronk was out.

Consider:

Gonzalez playing on the Pats would be the 2nd TE to Gronk and not the primary.  It would also bring back to the Pats a one-two punch at TE they missed this past season.  Gonzalez was still mighty good given his age.  Plus, he does not have to play as much as he did with the Falcons.  Being on the Pats may give him that very good chance to get that elusive SB ring.  We have all surmised what the Pats would have done if the D didn't all go on IR and Gronk stayed healthy through the playoffs.

Gonzalez could get a decent workload in the warmer first two months of the season, especially if Gronk goes on the 6 week PUP, which may be wise even if he says he is ready in August.

Gonzalez also would save the team from having to use a draft pick on another TE right now. A big help, even if he is 17 years older and going to cost 3x as much as a 2nd-3rd rd pick at that position.

When it get colder and Gronk gets healthier the team can rely on Gronk more and more but would have the luxury of easing him in. There are only 3 TE's in the draft and one (Pitta) in free agency who can do that (Graham is going nowhere and it wouldn't be to us if he was).

Come December, Gronk playing 75% of the snaps instead of 95% would be awesome. Gonzalez playing 50% of the time and Hooman like 15% of the time... 40% of our offense goes back to the familiar two TE sets. Red zone becomes a terrifying situation for opposition.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

“Matt’s an excellent quarterback. But he’s not elite. He’s this close. He’ll get there, but he has some learning to do,” 

He also said he's the best QB he ever played with. Never once indicated that he wants to play for any team other than the Falcons, and only for them if they're contending for a SB late in the season.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

I was ready to trade 4th and 6th rd. picks to Atlanta for Roddy White (restructure down from 6 million to 3 million next year). I'd trade a 2nd rd pick for both of them, plus 2-3 conditional later round picks in the '15/'16 drafts depending on performance.

Gonzalez has a 4 million base salary in 2014, with a 3 million 'roster bonus'. He also has 1.75 million of his signing bonus left on Atlanta's cap. Atlanta would rather cut him than pay him 7 million I bet. They obviously are going into a 2-3 year rebuild after cutting Samuel and Nicholas.

Not sure if the roster bonus counts on the 2014 or 2015 cap. Either way, our best bet is his being released and coming here for the veteran minimim, or not much over it. If it were a trade I would say it would have to come after we get the 3.5 million of Hernandez's bonus back, and he would have to play for that amount.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjbag. Show jjbag's posts

Only problems i see with Gonzalez is how much his skill would have fallen off in a year, trust me at that age, 1 year makes a HUGE difference, that and the fact he was never known to be a blocker, so having him on the field almost certainly will give out the hand that we are passing. I would prefer to see Homan on one side Gronk on the other, wont know if we plan to run or pass, if not Homan, another young TE that can block decent but be feared as a catcher.

just my 2 cents.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to jjbag's comment:

Only problems i see with Gonzalez is how much his skill would have fallen off in a year, trust me at that age, 1 year makes a HUGE difference, that and the fact he was never known to be a blocker, so having him on the field almost certainly will give out the hand that we are passing. I would prefer to see Homan on one side Gronk on the other, wont know if we plan to run or pass, if not Homan, another young TE that can block decent but be feared as a catcher.

just my 2 cents.

not sure what they would demand but I like Fred Davis and Jermichael Finley. Probably  not the best blockers but can fill hernandez role and most likely block better than he could. If you wanna a blocking TE that will make the easy catches when asked....Bear Pascoe. Coughlin owes us a tight end. The guy we stole bummed out. I think Pascoe had more catches in the SB than Gronk. 4 I believe in Ballards absense.

I agree Tony IS getting up there and its a longshot.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

In response to jjbag's comment:

just my 2 cents.

not sure what they would demand but I like Fred Davis and Jermichael Finley. Probably  not the best blockers but can fill hernandez role and most likely block better than he could. If you wanna a blocking TE that will make the easy catches when asked....Bear Pascoe. Coughlin owes us a tight end. The guy we stole bummed out. I think Pascoe had more catches in the SB than Gronk. 4 I believe in Ballards absense.

I agree Tony IS getting up there and its a longshot.

Jermichael has hands of stone.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to rameakap's comment:

Gronk is a 4 year pro, I don't think he needs a mentor, but Gonzo would make a nice complement to Gronk.

Gronk is what? 25?

I am sure there are things about the pro game, the position of TE and how to conduct oneself as a man that will rub off on Gronk in a positive way from having Tony next to him.

It'd be the same as when he had Crumpler year 1. Although that obvious did nothing for Hernandez, giving both that TE's 40-65 million extensions age 22-23 and having no great mentor as a 3rd string guy (Fells definitely wasn't it) probably helped lead to the issues of the past 2 years.

Even if Gronk's are 90% injury related and Hernandez was probably a lost cause sociopath from day 1.

Whatever Gronk hasn't learned at year 4, after he's gotten his monster contract, he's not going to learn now.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In response to rameakap's comment:

Gronk is what? 25?

Whatever Gronk hasn't learned at year 4, after he's gotten his monster contract, he's not going to learn now.

I guess you must have been successful and felt you were all done growing/learning/improving at 24 then huh?

I learned a lot more about life and what it takes to be a man ages 24-30 than I did 18-24. Having some good bosses/mentors and older 'been there done that' guys around me iat the same level/position as me helped a lot.

If you get out of college and start your first job at 22 and the two other guys in your position next to you were an ignorant punk/thug who was 1 year younger than you and a guy with a fraction of your talent one year older than you... would you be more or less prepared for the rest of your professional career if you replaced that thug with a 37 year old widely considered to be the best man to ever do the job you are asked to do every single day?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from phatcatvirginbuttbuster45. Show phatcatvirginbuttbuster45's posts

In response to PhatVirgin's comment:

this was debated mid-season.  I guess the circumstances are a little different oer the link. Thanks for posting.

sure, if an opportunity is there, why not look into it? we need depth at the TE position.

BUST-CHISEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did you think I wouldn't do my job for this board and let them know you are the one and only BUST-CHISE, the world’s biggest and most ridiculous NY Jets Troll? That you hunt for the backsides of your neighbors kitties at night? That you carry an old rag, a torn up Mark Sanchez Jets T-Shirt, and a bottle of chloroform which you use to incapacitate your young feline victims and that it's the reason you call this BUST-CHISE persona "Phat Virgin"?

You will be known whenever you come here….this I swear to this board….the NY Jets are the worst franchise in the history of the NFL…44 years of laughable failure and ridicule, like Kellen “Vaseline Jazz Hands” Winslow….RUB-A-DUB-DUB, BUST-CHISE, RUB -A--DUB-DUB

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from phatcatvirginbuttbuster45. Show phatcatvirginbuttbuster45's posts

In response to JIMMYPROFFER's comment:

In response to Brady2Welker47's comment:

Wow! I'm excited just thinking of the possibility....he would be the perfect mentor for Gronk! I know the defense needs to be addressed but if there is a chance for this guy to play in NE it should be explored!

What, is he going to teach gronk how to stay healthy?

Did you think I wouldn't do my job for this board and let them know you are the one and only BUST-CHISE, the world’s biggest and most ridiculous NY Jets Troll? That you hunt for the backsides of your neighbors kitties at night? That you carry an old rag, a torn up Mark Sanchez Jets T-Shirt, and a bottle of chloroform which you use to incapacitate your young feline victims and that it's the reason you call this BUST-CHISE persona "Phat Virgin"?

You will be known whenever you come here….this I swear to this board….the NY Jets are the worst franchise in the history of the NFL…44 years of laughable failure and ridicule, like Kellen “Vaseline Jazz Hands” Winslow….RUB-A-DUB-DUB, BUST-CHISE, RUB -A--DUB-DUB

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from phatcatvirginbuttbuster45. Show phatcatvirginbuttbuster45's posts

Dick, You're doing a great job as the Forum Fool. Keep up the good work Laughing

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from phatricosbuttbuster45. Show phatricosbuttbuster45's posts

Dick, AKA Rusty Trombone is back in da house!!!

Great job, Forum Fool....

And how about all your other names BUST-CHISE ?

Among them are:

Bustify

Uncle Rico

Manning Rules

Meadowland Mike

Mile High Mike

Bungalo Bill

Wewerrdat

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:

And how exactly would Gonzalez "mentor" Gronk? The most dominant TE in the game today.

Maybe he can teach Gronk to drink slower, and party just 6 nights a week instead of 7, lol

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

I'd say sweet if it was 1999.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from phatricosbuttbuster45. Show phatricosbuttbuster45's posts

Dick, You're doing a great job as the Forum Fool. Keep up the good work Laughing

And how about all your other names BUST-CHISE ?

Among them are:

Bustify

Uncle Rico

Manning Rules

Meadowland Mike

Mile High Mike

Bungalo Bill

Wewerrdat

Fletcherbrook

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Sections
Shortcuts