Just sayin', maybe the problem people have with Tim Tebow...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

Re: Just sayin', maybe the problem people have with Tim Tebow...

In Response to Re: Just sayin', maybe the problem people have with Tim Tebow...:
    [QUOTE]I'm not a religious person and don't go to church. But I have no problem with an athlete that gives thanks for his talent to a higher being or believes in a strict moral code of decent behavior. 25:41- "Then He will also say to those on His left, 'Depart from Me, accursed ones, into the eternal fire which has been prepared for the devil and his angels"
    Posted by kansaspatriot[/QUOTE]

Exactly. As the person who started the thread; this thread frankly has nothing to do with Tim Tebow's football acumen. This thread has everything to do with asking people to THINK ABOUT why they have a problem with (or lose sleep over) Tim Tebow pointing to the sky and recognizing a saviour.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rerun85. Show Rerun85's posts

I like Tebow. He's certainly a better guy than I am and I would also agree that I never hear anyone on the radio say anything good about him. It's usually ridicule and sometimes pertaining to his beliefs. If I had children He's one athlete I wouldn't mind having them use as a role model. Not specifically because of the religion but this guy does charity work like there is no tomorrow. He's also a pretty good football player.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmbill. Show gmbill's posts

In Response to Re: Just sayin', maybe the problem people have with Tim Tebow...:
    [QUOTE]I have no problems with Tebow or his religious beliefs. But Elway was 100% correct in has assessment yesterday and right in saying he has not stopped looking for a franchise quarterback. Tebow had one great drive against the Jets, the rest of the night was filled with 3-and-outs. He needs to improve on that greatly if he is going to be successful.
    Posted by BostonSportsFan111[/QUOTE]

I like Tebow, I could care one way or the other if he is a success in football, he will do fine either way. I do remember living in Chicago when Jim McMahon was the QB for the Bears. Stats said he did nothing right, won every game he played in (sorry lost one to the fins) and a super bowl. Just saying that we don't know nothin yet about Tebow.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmbill. Show gmbill's posts

[QUOTE]I'll give you my two cents. I think it's because one; he gets more publicity than he deserves as a NFL quarterback but for me it's different. I started out totally not liking him and then I broke down why...........I listened to sports radio hosts and they told me to. The more I looked and thought it's because he's a better person than I am. He does things for others, he helps build churches in the Phillipines, he works with underprivaledged children, he goes to hospitals and sits with the dying, he truly cares about people and 99% of the rest of us don't. I'm not a fan but I'm also not a hater, I look at what he does on the field and what the Bronco's record is and that's it....maybe the rest of us should too and this topic may finally fizzle out?
    Posted by Sam-Adams[/QUOTE]

I think is is more like 98.5% don't care, just saying.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

[QUOTE]If I had children He's one athlete I wouldn't mind having them use as a role model.
    Posted by Rerun85[/QUOTE]

Good words. But I've even heard him say he doesn't want his faith to be a role model for kids, he feels the kids should direct to Christ for the role model.

I grew up a catholic, did the alter boy thing, ect. ect. But in 1971 I listened to the first three records by Black Sabbath, and that's where i really began to understand religion.

And the funny thing is Black Sabbath was not only the first heavy metal band, but one could consider them the first Christian rock bamd, as they sang songs that warned of evil, and the teachings of Christ, and of peace.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmbill. Show gmbill's posts

[QUOTE]I couldn't care less about Tebow, I actually think he's a great guy. A bit full of himself but he's using his fame to help a lot of people out. What I get annoyed by are the self righteous people who go to the nth degree about Tebow. Honestly Tebow is not a great QB. A good leader yes a good QB, no not even close. But, some people take this as a personal attack and then make it about his religion. I can't stand people who make it a personal problem because I don't think Tebow is great QB.
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

I agree and for that matter, how do we know Jesus was a good carpenter? I have never seen one chair or table with (Made in Nazareth) on it, you figure their would be one if the guys stuff was not crap..man that gets me...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmbill. Show gmbill's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Just sayin', maybe the problem people have with Tim Tebow... : Maybe you can point out what part of the Word teaches you to be bigoted towards people who don't believe as you do. And isn't there something about the sin of pride?
    Posted by Evil2012[/QUOTE]

Read the old testament, there were some major a-- whoopins for non believers...so he has you there...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Just sayin', maybe the problem people have with Tim Tebow... : Maybe you can point out what part of the Word teaches you to be bigoted towards people who don't believe as you do. And isn't there something about the sin of pride?
    Posted by Evil2012[/QUOTE]

Evil...you've accused me of being a bully toward you in the past. For no reason. Now you accuse me of being bigoted. I've re-read my post many times and I just don't see it. Help me out here. Having to threaten people by bludgeoning them with something they never said? Hmmmmm...peace dude! Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your heart(s) be troubled and do not be afraid Evil...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichFan. Show MichFan's posts

I'm just shocked that the ACLU hasn't filed a suit yet against the NFL and the players for subjecting those that don't believe to the players actions.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from saigonsmuggler. Show saigonsmuggler's posts

[QUOTE]The only time it really bothers me is when someone is forcing their religion on someone else.
    Posted by CaptainZdeno33[/QUOTE]
    How's Tebow forcing his religion on you? You can always look away after he scores. I doubt Tebow is converting you by you watching his routines.

If anything, it should be the networks that are doing that. They love to interview him and zoom at him after he scores, knowing full well that he'll go thru his routines.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

One more time, folks, the ONLY reason we are so aware of Tebow's love of his faith is because the MEDIA continually asks him about it. They know that the subject is "controversial", and has lots of folks (like us) talking about it. There has NEVER been a time when Tebow called a press conference on his own just to profess his beliefs. There has NEVER been a time when, at the start of any pre or post game interview that he's talked about his beliefs BEFORE the game at hand.

Question: If you folks are sick of him "pointing", or taking abrief knee in teh endzone, where's the angst when other players do this? When baseball player hit home plate after just hitting a home run (ever notice how the rarely do this when safely hitting a ball that is not a home run? Or a play on the field?, Or after a strike out?). How about when college players do this and other publically profess where their "thanks" need to go, or how they are truly blessed (by whom?)?

Time to get off the Hate Tebow For His Profession Of Faith. In any interview, you know what he's going to say. Either turn the channel or leave the room. Better yet, contact the networks and demand they stay away from any questions that could lead to Tebow's profession of faith. He seems to be the most interviewed/most talked about athlete that is having miserable performances. Why's that? Because he's THE story right now. Can't throw, can't lead, is just 4-1 since taking over at QB. None of eh "experts" can successfully give an answer as to why this is happening, so why not consider a "higher power" intervention? Can you justso easily dismiss it?

If it works for Tebow, all the power to him.   

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In Response to Just sayin', maybe the problem people have with Tim Tebow...:
    [QUOTE]...is his attitude about who he is pointing to? READ THIS FIRST: Don't judge who Tebow is pointing to based on anything Tebow says or does. ...so why judge Tebow?
    Posted by WesternOregon[/QUOTE]

I'm glad he points to the sky, cuz I'm sick and tired of the antics  of the other players when they score

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

I will restate my point, as it may not come across the way I meant it.  I don't have a problem with his religion.  I think I feel the same way about his overcelebration as I feel about ANY overcelebration.  When a DE gets a sack, and is pumped, ok.  But stopping and doing a dance about it is stupid.  Tebow overcelebrates, period.  He can tell his "wife" he loves "her", just stop making out every three steps.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Just sayin', maybe the problem people have with Tim Tebow... : Evil...you've accused me of being a bully toward you in the past. For no reason. Now you accuse me of being bigoted. I've re-read my post many times and I just don't see it. Help me out here. Having to threaten people by bludgeoning them with something they never said? Hmmmmm...peace dude! Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your heart(s) be troubled and do not be afraid Evil...
    Posted by WesternOregon[/QUOTE]

I think he believes you were calling the last poster a hypocrite.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Just sayin', maybe the problem people have with Tim Tebow... : I agree and for that matter, how do we know Jesus was a good carpenter? I have never seen one chair or table with (Made in Nazareth) on it, you figure their would be one if the guys stuff was not crap..man that gets me...
    Posted by gmbill[/QUOTE]

I take it by your sarcasm you disagree with me if not disregard below if so then please read on

Actually the bible never said Jesus was a good carpenter or not. It never once mentions his carpenter skill, so yes it very well could be that he was a bad carpenter or he could have been the best ever but we have no evidence so who knows.

But, in Tebow's case we have game film and yes he is not a good QB in the Pro's. But, nice comparing him to Jesus. Considering Jesus is the son of God (hence is part of God) and there is a little rule about not idealizing someone/thing to the same level as God wouldn't this mean all those looking at Tebow as if he was Jesus are in fact breaking commandments? Just saying (I knew all those years of Sunday school would pay off someday)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

honestly, i have no problem with tebow doing that, because if i understand correctly, he's always been like that even before he became famous. he decided way back that this is how he was going to live his life and this is what defines him as a person. last i heard, this is america and we are free to practice religion anyway we want so long as it does not harm anyone.

maybe the reason peple get unconfomfortable with him is this...
    he is living his life for a higher purpose
    we are defensive about the fact that we don't live our life for a higher purpose

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

for a supposedly smart guy, elway was a deekhed for saying what he said when asked if denver was closer to finding the right qb.

he could easily have said that tebow is their qb now, and will be for the rest of the season. that and winning are all that currently matters to the team and therefore the team will provide tebow all the support he needs to succeed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

[QUOTE]honestly, i have no problem with tebow doing that, because if i understand correctly, he's always been like that even before he became famous. he decided way back that this is how he was going to live his life and this is what defines him as a person. last i heard, this is america and we are free to practice religion anyway we want so long as it does not harm anyone. maybe the reason peple get unconfomfortable with him is this... he is living his life for a higher purpose we are defensive about the fact that we don't live our life for a higher purpose
    Posted by seattlepat70[/QUOTE]

Maybe. I posted this so people might THINK ABOUT why Tim Tebow's actions offend them...I believe it could be for a number of reasons. One reason may be their own attitude toward the one he is pointing to when he points toward the sky. Just sayin'...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rerun85. Show Rerun85's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Just sayin', maybe the problem people have with Tim Tebow... : Good words. But I've even heard him say he doesn't want his faith to be a role model for kids, he feels the kids should direct to Christ for the role model. I grew up a catholic, did the alter boy thing, ect. ect. But in 1971 I listened to the first three records by Black Sabbath, and that's where i really began to understand religion. And the funny thing is Black Sabbath was not only the first heavy metal band, but one could consider them the first Christian rock bamd, as they sang songs that warned of evil, and the teachings of Christ, and of peace.

He's a humble guy annd I'm not surprised he said that. Unfortunately kids will always look to athletes and entertainers as role models. Black Sabbath fan back then myself. Funny thing is The only people that called it devil worshiping music were the people that didn't listen to it.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Just sayin', maybe the problem people have with Tim Tebow... : How's Tebow forcing his religion on you? You can always look away after he scores. I doubt Tebow is converting you by you watching his routines. If anything, it should be the networks that are doing that. They love to interview him and zoom at him after he scores, knowing full well that he'll go thru his routines.
    Posted by saigonsmuggler[/QUOTE]

Clearly you didn't read my first post in this thread

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from laurienyc13. Show laurienyc13's posts

It's FOOTBALL not a Jesus revival! He can be religious , I really have no problem with his beliefs but I believe that there is a time & place for things, everytime he talks he talks about Jesus & that he loves him, it is a little much., it's a little much. I really don't think Jesus cares about football or any sport!!! I wonder what people would be saying if a player started praising Allah? I'm sure it would cause some controversy.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]It's FOOTBALL not a Jesus revival! He can be religious , I really have no problem with his beliefs but I believe that there is a time & place for things, everytime he talks he talks about Jesus & that he loves him, it is a little much., it's a little much. I really don't think Jesus cares about football or any sport!!! I wonder what people would be saying if a player started praising Allah? I'm sure it would cause some controversy.
    Posted by laurienyc13[/QUOTE]

he lives, breaths his religion. he decided long ago that he does not want to compartmentalize his life the way that you choose to. to him it's not too much. it's simply living the teaching.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

[QUOTE]One more time, folks, the ONLY reason we are so aware of Tebow's love of his faith is because the MEDIA continually asks him about it. They know that the subject is "controversial", and has lots of folks (like us) talking about it. There has NEVER been a time when Tebow called a press conference on his own just to profess his beliefs. There has NEVER been a time when, at the start of any pre or post game interview that he's talked about his beliefs BEFORE the game at hand. Question: If you folks are sick of him "pointing", or taking abrief knee in teh endzone, where's the angst when other players do this? When baseball player hit home plate after just hitting a home run (ever notice how the rarely do this when safely hitting a ball that is not a home run? Or a play on the field?, Or after a strike out?). How about when college players do this and other publically profess where their "thanks" need to go, or how they are truly blessed (by whom?)? Time to get off the Hate Tebow For His Profession Of Faith. In any interview, you know what he's going to say. Either turn the channel or leave the room. Better yet, contact the networks and demand they stay away from any questions that could lead to Tebow's profession of faith. He seems to be the most interviewed/most talked about athlete that is having miserable performances. Why's that? Because he's THE story right now. Can't throw, can't lead, is just 4-1 since taking over at QB. None of eh "experts" can successfully give an answer as to why this is happening, so why not consider a "higher power" intervention? Can you justso easily dismiss it? If it works for Tebow, all the power to him.   
    Posted by AZPAT[/QUOTE]

Very well said....Thread should be closed after AZPAT's post!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from hang3xc. Show hang3xc's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Just sayin', maybe the problem people have with Tim Tebow... : funny thing is Black Sabbath was not only the first heavy metal band, but one could consider them the first Christian rock bamd, as they sang songs that warned of evil, and the teachings of Christ, and of peace.

Have you ever thought about your soul - can it be saved?
    Or perhaps you think that when you're dead you just stay in your grave
    Is God just a thought within your head or is He a part of you?
    Is Christ just a name that you read in a book when you were in school?

When you think about death do you lose your breath
    Or do you keep your cool?
    Would you like to see the Pope on the end of a rope
    Do you think he's a fool?
    Well I have seen the truth, yes I've seen the light
    And I've changed my ways
    And I'll be prepared when you're lonely and scared
    At the end of our days

Could it be you're afraid of what your friends might say
    If they knew you believe in God above?
    They should realize before they criticize
    That God is the only way to love

Is your mind so small that you have to fall
    In with the pack wherever they run
    Will you still sneer when death is near
    And say they may as well worship the sun?

I think it was true it was people like you that crucified Christ
    I think it is sad the opinion you had was the only one voiced
    Will you be so sure when your day is near, say you don't believe?
    You had the chance but you turned it down, now you can't retrieve

Perhaps you'll think before you say that God is dead and gone
    Open your eyes, just realize that he's the one
    The only one who can save you now from all this sin and hate
    Or will you still jeer at all you hear?
    Yes! I think it's too late.

AFTER FOREVER, Black Sabbath

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from saigonsmuggler. Show saigonsmuggler's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Just sayin', maybe the problem people have with Tim Tebow... : Clearly you didn't read my first post in this thread
    Posted by CaptainZdeno33[/QUOTE]
    Yep mea culpa!

Sections
Shortcuts