Just sayin', maybe the problem people have with Tim Tebow...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from passfirst. Show passfirst's posts

Re: Just sayin', maybe the problem people have with Tim Tebow...

In Response to Re: Just sayin', maybe the problem people have with Tim Tebow...:
    [QUOTE]Just sayin'... What would be American society's reaction if Tebow were Jewish and sat out on a Saturday game for his faith?  Or if Tebow were Muslim and kneeled and bowed his head down on the ground in the endzone to thank God? Or if Tebow were Hindu and thanked Vishnu and multiple gods for his success? Just askin'......
    Posted by ipot[/QUOTE]

If there was a Hindu kicker that hardly ever missed field goals, and then celebrated with Hindu rituals on the field I think we'd probably be very entertained by it and even embrace it in a sort of tourist fashion.  And we'd likely feel a little more connected to the people in India, who cared, who rooted for him just because he was Indian.            

And owners might embrace the marketing opportunity.  I'd build a wading pool behind the end zones, call them the Ganges West and hire Hindus to bath in them throughout the games.  However I wouldn't go as far as hiring widows to perform a Sati ritual because that's just not right.  

The key here is that he would have to be good first, not miss 4 field goals a game and then make the game winner.  Oh, and that he probably wouldn't think others who weren't Hindu would be shut out from salvation.  But I forgive Tebow for this and still think he seems like a good guy.  Actually very impressive with how he has handled the scrutiny of his play.  Seems to believe in himself, whatever his avenue is.   

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

In Response to Re: Just sayin', maybe the problem people have with Tim Tebow...:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Just sayin', maybe the problem people have with Tim Tebow... : You missed his point altogether. He was pointing out that every major religion (including Christianity) has not only been the source of evil acts but they have used their very religion to justify it. He was not commenting one way or another about God.
    Posted by portfolio1[/QUOTE]

You can believe (or not believe) that he wasn't commenting one way or another about God. I'll choose to believe he WAS commenting about God and I fully comprehend what he was saying. His commentary was toward men IN JUDGING THEIR RELIGION and THEIR GOD.

My comment and the reason for this thread is: Never consider a man to be a representative of God. Consider God. He can represent himself quite well.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Just sayin', maybe the problem people have with Tim Tebow... :   If there was a Hindu kicker that hardly ever missed field goals, and then celebrated with Hindu rituals on the field I think we'd probably be very entertained by it and even embrace it in a sort of tourist fashion.  And we'd likely feel a little more connected to the people in India, who cared, who rooted for him just because he was Indian.                And owners might embrace the marketing opportunity.  I'd build a wading pool behind the end zones, call them the Ganges West and hire Hindus to bath in them throughout the games.  However I wouldn't go as far as hiring widows to perform a Sati ritual because that's just not right.    The key here is that he would have to be good first, not miss 4 field goals a game and then make the game winner.  Oh, and that he probably wouldn't think others who weren't Hindu would be shut out from salvation.  But I forgive Tebow for this and still think he seems like a good guy.  Actually very impressive with how he has handled the scrutiny of his play.  Seems to believe in himself, whatever his avenue is.   
    Posted by passfirst[/QUOTE]

Again...you write on about what MAN does in representing God. I call your attention to God. What do you think of Him?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

[QUOTE]The only time it really bothers me is when someone is forcing their religion on someone else.
    Posted by CaptainZdeno33[/QUOTE]

Most often it is Atheists who push their religion on everyone else - and they use the full force of government to do it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

If I were from some other planet and saw what Tebow does on the field I would just think it was just another variation of the ritual dancing, posing and gesturing that goes on after a touchdown...actually thats the way I think of it now.

And as far as it being a sin...hmmm, it might be...but I thought a sin was not anyones business really but the person doing the sin and God and anyone who might have been victimized and God...

So whatever motivates TT to do whatever he does is his business...all part of the entertainment for me.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

If we really want to be controversial we should discuss how Tebow would be treated if he were a black QB.

There would be endless chatter about what a "great athlete" he is; the media would talk about his "raw explosiveness";  they would heap praise on his "natural talent" and "physical gifts"; they would praise Coach Fox for "harnessing Tebow's athleticism."

But Tebow is white so he just gets ripped by the media.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Just sayin', maybe the problem people have with Tim Tebow... : Religion is but one factor, but it seems obvious to me (to UGH steal from good ole Rush) the media is desirous of seeing Tebow succeed even to the point of inflating his accomplishments. The other part is the Florida pedigree, but mostly, I think, they play him up because he generates ratings with people who do think of him as an evangelical champion. 
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

Denver isn't exactly the bible belt.  I find the evangelical champion a bit much.  But never be surprised as to what a newspaper would say to create some controversy.  It does make for the perfect story if you want to sell papers in Denver and see the Broncos on the sport networks.  Put Elway in the middle of all this and we have a little drama brewin'. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

religion is like a dick, it is fine to be proud that you have one but don't go whipping it out in public and shoving it down peoples throats.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Just sayin', maybe the problem people have with Tim Tebow... : Denver isn't exactly the bible belt.  I find the evangelical champion a bit much.  But never be surprised as to what a newspaper would say to create some controversy.  It does make for the perfect story if you want to sell papers in Denver and see the Broncos on the sport networks.  Put Elway in the middle of all this and we have a little drama brewin'. 
    Posted by garytx[/QUOTE]

Dever is not the bible belt but Colorado Springs is Christian Central........

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Just sayin', maybe the problem people have with Tim Tebow... : Denver isn't exactly the bible belt.  I find the evangelical champion a bit much.  But never be surprised as to what a newspaper would say to create some controversy.  It does make for the perfect story if you want to sell papers in Denver and see the Broncos on the sport networks.  Put Elway in the middle of all this and we have a little drama brewin'. 
    Posted by garytx[/QUOTE]

Have you spent much time in Colorado?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from passfirst. Show passfirst's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Just sayin', maybe the problem people have with Tim Tebow... : Again...you write on about what MAN does in representing God. I call your attention to God. What do you think of Him?
    Posted by WesternOregon[/QUOTE]

Wow, reconciling the fact that we care amid a universe that's indifferent is definitely a struggle.  I appreciate the question.  And I hope not to annoy anyone on this board with a fleeting glimpse of my thoughts. - I don't know, it's beyond me.  To call it a he or a she or anything less than anything and everything and then some.., can only by nature limit what is supposed to be omni.  Perhaps we can call it the "big it", or "thee great everlasting is".  Regardless of name accuracy and without promise of a next life, I'm still willing to care, even when the insights feel dark at times.  Why shouldn't this be enough?  Why can't we still be fulfilled even though we may go "poof" someday and then off into the abyss.  Why should we think that salvation exists somewhere else?  or hinges on the existence of another sphere?  Or is imposed upon us from anywhere else that exists on the outside? (this is probably when you reference Jesus and the statement that the kingdom of god lives within all of us.  Then good, and thanks for the insight or translation of an insight that's been had and will be had again)  

Since you are presenting yourself as a Christian, I'll continue to reference Jesus.  His message was, forgiveness and active compassion as the way to achieve peace, togetherness, and so on...  He was realizing a higher state of human consciousness, a concept we have been able to conceptualize yet not been able to actualize as societies.  Perhaps we are not meant to have this realization as anything more than individuals, and that, in and of itself is universal?  Either way, the name of the man, the fact of whether or not it is a man, his hair color and face are secondary at best to the insight itself.  An insight capable of being had by others who don't call themselves Christians or never heard of Jesus.  

You ask me, "what do I think God is?"  God is the Chinese man and his daughter I saw playing tag on a busy sidewalk in polluted city 21rst century China, among other things.                 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Find one QB in the history of the NFL that was supremely athletic who couldn't throw the ball with any accuracy that won a Super Bowl. You'll look long and hard but won't find any, at least in the modern age, that's because it doesn't work. 

Even the best example of this in the game today, Mike Vick, doesn't throw with precision, he has a 56% completion average with many more years as a sample size to examine. This type of QB will win regular season games but cannot hang with playoff caliber defenses. Tebow is not nearly as gifted as Vick either running or passing, what does that say?

To be frank, if Bill Cowher can't win with Kordell Stewert (56% career completion average) as his QB, than Tebow will never win, even with a supremely talented coach like Fox.  Trent Dilfer was one of the least talented passers I've ever seen win a Super Bowl (56%), he needed an all world defense and power running game, Mark Rypien (56%) same deal, amazing defense and one of the best O lines ever with a power run game, but Doug Williams probably takes the cake with a 50% completion average, although his best season was the Super Bowl winning season where he averaged 56%.

45-46% that Tebow throws... none of these guys worst seasons were close to as bad as Tebow's best. I've been equally critical of Vick his entire career, color, religion none of it matters. I commend Tebow for being a nice guy, he's never electrocuted any dogs as far as I know, but there are social workers in today's cities that do more good than he ever has or ever will who receive no accolades and minimum wage... sorry but this is a football forum, I won't walk on egg-shells for Tebow, Vick or anyone else.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

In Response to Just sayin', maybe the problem people have with Tim Tebow...:
    [QUOTE]...is their own attitude about who he is pointing to. READ THIS FIRST: Don't judge who Tebow is pointing to based on anything Tebow says or does. ...so why judge Tebow?

Nope

I *HATE* the clusterf**k offense.  It doesn't belong in the NFL

and 45% just doesn't do it for me

God is his business.  I'm a confirmed Catholic and my parents are devout and get much peace from it.  Good for him.  He needs to put more points on the board to beat good teams

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

[QUOTE]If we really want to be controversial we should discuss how Tebow would be treated if he were a black QB. There would be endless chatter about what a "great athlete" he is; the media would talk about his "raw explosiveness";  they would heap praise on his "natural talent" and "physical gifts"; they would praise Coach Fox for "harnessing Tebow's athleticism." But Tebow is white so he just gets ripped by the media.
    Posted by Schumpeters-Ghost[/QUOTE]

You just had to make this into a race thing, huh? 

Nothing makes me roll my eyes any faster than hearing white guys whine about how oppressed they are in America. This is, arguably, the stupidest thing I've ever read on this boards. 

There's one starting black QB in the entire NFL, why isn't the media demanding that these black QBs start so that they can 'praise their athleticism'? Perfect example, Vince Young is much better at throwing the ball than Tebow (58% beats 45%), Vince is much faster than Tebow (4.56 beats 4.71). Where is the outcry to see Vince Young start in the NFL? Yeah, it's so hard for Tim Tebow and other white QBs to get a shot in the NFL. 

Once again, no one cares if Tebow is white and Christian, both of which happen to be the majority in America so how can he be hated because of it(?)! He sucks eggs, that's why I don't like him. I also don't like him because everyone DEMANDS that I'm supposed to. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Just sayin', maybe the problem people have with Tim Tebow... : You just had to make this into a race thing, huh?  Nothing makes me roll my eyes any faster than hearing white guys whine about how oppressed they are in America. This is, arguably, the stupidest thing I've ever read on this boards.  There's one starting black QB in the entire NFL, why isn't the media demanding that these black QBs start so that they can 'praise their athleticism'? Perfect example, Vince Young is much better at throwing the ball than Tebow (58% beats 45%), Vince is much faster than Tebow (4.56 beats 4.71). Where is the outcry to see Vince Young start in the NFL? Yeah, it's so hard for Tim Tebow and other white QBs to get a shot in the NFL.  Once again, no one cares if Tebow is white and Christian, both of which happen to be the majority in America so how can he be hated because of it(?)! He sucks eggs, that's why I don't like him. I also don't like him because everyone DEMANDS that I'm supposed to. 
    Posted by 49Patriots[/QUOTE]
    Where do you get these numbers?  Didn't you tell us a week ago that 95% of HC's were white.  There is more than one black QB starting in the NFL. 

Young had a chance, acted like a baby and generally stunk.  That's how it works. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from patthepatriot666. Show patthepatriot666's posts

even if tebow is a grandstander is it fair to call a christian a hypocrite because they are not perfect by the bible's standards- you see this charge often from the communists in the press and general public- i don't think practicing christians think they are prefect- i mean didnt they come up with that all that original sin jazz anyways- 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

After reading all this? It DOES appear that some people who have a problem with Tim Tebow showing thanks toward God have an attitude about God.

If so? Why judge Tim Tebow as a man. You will heap coals upon your own head in doing so...just say you're judging God and leave it at that.

The best practice is to say nothing or at least keep it to football.
    ...shhhhh!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

"The best practice is to say nothing or at least keep it to football."

Agreed, but you're the one who started this thread. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

[QUOTE]"The best practice is to say nothing or at least keep it to football." Agreed, but you're the one who started this thread. Posted by Muzwell[/QUOTE]

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Just sayin', maybe the problem people have with Tim Tebow... : Again...you write on about what MAN does in representing God. I call your attention to God. What do you think of Him?

Yeah, a lot of people have a problem with god. A lot of people think he doesn't exist. A lot of people think craven individuals hide behind god to indulge their most perverse and hateful emotions.

What do I think of god? The fictional figure head of history's greatest political party. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from FenwayChuck. Show FenwayChuck's posts

In Response to Just sayin', maybe the problem people have with Tim Tebow...:
    [QUOTE]...is their own attitude about who he is pointing to. READ THIS FIRST: Don't judge who Tebow is pointing to based on anything Tebow says or does. ...so why judge Tebow?

It is pretty apparent what the problem is with TEBOW.....
    I look at him and say GREAT for him, I am glad that he found something that he likes to do and can be good at it... If it is his desire to give credit to GOD then that is his right....

People who in no way want anyone to be better than their mediocre selves hate the act of someone being willing to THANK GOD for something that went well in their life.

Those same A-holes demand their right to spew hatred as it is their freedom of speech.... but wow do they hate it when someone else uses that right against them.

I am happy for Tim Tebow...it in NO WAY upsets me that he gives thanks to God....  Through my entire life there have been challenges that I wonder how I was able to meet... if he feels in his heart it is because a greater being than him looked after him.... TOUGH CRAP for those that do not like it.
    I WISH TIM LUCK.....

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

!.) Tebow is pumped up by the media, part of that is his christianity and it's appeal to that demographic.
    2.) He isn't as good as the media leads you to believe, in fact he is bad. 
    3.) He runs/sponsors hate campaigns on national television. 
    4.) In the act of 'praising' so lavishly after each score he is in fact making the TEAM score about himself, with his false god as a mere prop to hide behind (typical). He is a heretic in every sense of the word.

Many, many reasons to hate Tebow. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

[QUOTE]!.) Tebow is pumped up by the media, part of that is his christianity and it's appeal to that demographic. 2.) He isn't as good as the media leads you to believe, in fact he is bad.  3.) He runs/sponsors hate campaigns on national television.  4.) In the act of 'praising' so lavishly after each score he is in fact making the TEAM score about himself, with his false god as a mere prop to hide behind (typical). He is a heretic in every sense of the word. Many, many reasons to hate Tebow. Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerh5. Show jerh5's posts

Wow Z, You must be reaaaal close to Tebow, to know him on such a personal level.  I am sure there is truth to the media angle, but to attack Tebow and thrust your own insecurities apon him is low.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerh5. Show jerh5's posts

Show me an example where he sponsored hate campaigns.