Justin Jones re-signed

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Justin Jones re-signed

Interesting.  He's probably just a camp body at this point.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

Re: Justin Jones re-signed

Yeah what does this say about our TE depth?!

"Giggedy, Giggedy!"

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

why wouldn't they just sign him for practice squad?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

I'm wondering about the D's ability to cover TE's since they don't really get to practice against any.

Maybe other teams won't use their TE's against us, just to make it fair.  LOL

"The worse New England has gotten on defense, the better Brady has been forced to become -- with 109 touchdowns, 20 interceptions and a 39-9 record the past three seasons. "

CLARK JUDGE______7/13/13_____________________________________

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

In response to pezz4pats' comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'm wondering about the D's ability to cover TE's since they don't really get to practice against any.

Maybe other teams won't use their TE's against us, just to make it fair.  LOL

"The worse New England has gotten on defense, the better Brady has been forced to become -- with 109 touchdowns, 20 interceptions and a 39-9 record the past three seasons. "

CLARK JUDGE______7/13/13_____________________________________

[/QUOTE]

if it were only that easy :)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

One has to wonder what's up with Hoomanawanui and Williams, neither of whom has been practicing for a while now. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Agree.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from cyncalpatfan. Show cyncalpatfan's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Possibly...or, maybe BB likes some of what he has seen, but felt he needed a strong message to get him a little more focused.  He cuts him, lets him hang in the wind for a bit, and then reels him back in for another opportunity.  It seems to me that the reports on him, through training camp, were that he was showing improvement.  We'll see.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

More likely, Belichick simply felt Jones was on the margin and wanted to try a few other alternatives.  After trying those alternatives, he felt they were worse than Jones and so brought Jones back.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

As BB has put it "were on a little bit on thin ice there" (from ODT's thread). BB knows we are very thin at the position and he also knows the OL he tossed out there Friday are just that OL so Jones might just be the best of the best out there right now. Makes sense to give him another look if you have 1 other TE on the roster and he's a converted OL who doesn't know how to turn around after 6 yrds, even after practicing it.

Trust me, I'm an engineer!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

More likely, Belichick simply felt Jones was on the margin and wanted to try a few other alternatives.  After trying those alternatives, he felt they were worse than Jones and so brought Jones back.

[/QUOTE]

I think you got it right

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Speaks to the paucity of options.  That he wasn't picked up elsewhere means he is a PS option.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Cant hurt to bring him back. He is got to be better than Maneri, a converted lineman. I am wondering what is wrong w/Hooman. Too bad we didnt have a decent TE so that we could cut him. BB has done strange things w/ our TE group the last 4 or 5 years. There have been guys like Crumpler, C.Baker, Shianco, Fells, etc and they all were cut and the guy we ended up settling on was Hooman?!  I just dont see how this guy comes in as the sole backup and he is hardly ever healthy for a guy who plays so little. Why is it so hard for us to just have a decent, healthy TE on the roster!/  Very puzzling. I mean Wow...J.J is gonna have to play if they dont get guys back soon. This guy went all the way through waivers with no one biting. That tell me all I need to know.

Maybe we can call N.O. and try to trade for Ben Watson. He would look good right about now.

"A lot of bookies are probably mad at us right now, but we don't give a damn, ... We're the champs!!"

Ty Law after his team defeated the Rams in SB 36.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

This happens every year, back end players get cut so BB can get a look at who else is out there, I'm sure he told Jones not to pack his things and that he would be back.  We may see other players who got cut come back as well, don't read too much into it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Jones is probably a good example of how thin the tight end pickings are at this point, I'm sure we will see another couple of tight ends signed and then cut by the end of next week.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

In response to Quagmire3's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Yeah what does this say about our TE depth?!

"Giggedy, Giggedy!"

[/QUOTE]

It says that it is very good and they are doing due dilligence for a potential 3rd spot with develin as the fb/hb.

i love it.

gronk

hooman

jones?

Develin

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

In response to OnlyDaTruth's comment:
    [QUOTE]

why wouldn't they just sign him for practice squad?

[/QUOTE]

Because you do not have to delcare one until camp breaks.  Are you new to football?

Bb probably just told him to sit tight.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

This happens every year, back end players get cut so BB can get a look at who else is out there, I'm sure he told Jones not to pack his things and that he would be back.  We may see other players who got cut come back as well, don't read too much into it.

Exactly.  Plus he likes to see how people respond probably after they have been cut once.

i find it fascinating how the trolls do the handwringing thing and are so new to watching bb work the roster as the master gm.

bb has been here for over a decade.  If he ever read this board, he'd probably chuckle for days and days with all these faux gms running around here.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

Smacks of desperation due to the current state of our TE roster.  Considering we had everyone but Brady line up at TE last week, it makes sense why they would bring in a body that actually plays the position. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to agill1970's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Smacks of desperation due to the current state of our TE roster.  Considering we had everyone but Brady line up at TE last week, it makes sense why they would bring in a body that actually plays the position. 

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Considering even BB said we are on thin ice at the position only a fool would say we have good depth.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Justin Jones is desperately bad at blocking anyone and anything.  He hasn't played football for a year and on top of that he's naturally clumsy.  Then there are Justin's study habits. Oh, and he can drop the pass pretty well. 

Just to put together a story, I'll assume that BB had to send a message to the other players, "If you don't study, you get passed by."  Justin was a royal mess.  They gave him two months and he wasn't on the learning curve.

Then came the fact that there are zero healthy tight ends on the roster.  BB and staff went back and looked at the videos.  Lo and behold, the other team was actually respecting Justin Jones's route running.  Jones was wide open when that Garoppolo pass was thrown a bit behind him and clanged off of him.  The guy's wingspan was so huge that not covering Jones was an automatic first down, and a damaging hit suffered by a cornerback after that.  Leave Jones alone and his prodigious lateral acceleration gets him open.  The guy may be academically ineligible for long division, but he fills a hole. 

Guys who are cut and then get a second chance (through the miracle of multiple injuries) might have better studying habits.  Or they might not.  We'll see.

On occasion BB cuts somebody and then brings him back, somebody who then turns into an all-time great linebacker.  If BB can get Jones to the practice squad, then Jones works on his clumsiness, works out with the jugs machine, learns to run an NFL route and actually gets almost average at blocking. 

I don't think BB needs a "camp body" as much as he needs someone who might someday improve the team.  If the staff can eventually trim down Jones's notable inadequacies, his natural height and length make him a player.  Even if he can't block, he can go out at wide receiver in a trips formation and maybe screen somebody.  Then he can accelerate laterally and get open 6 yards downfield.  Then, IF he can catch the football, he can plow forward for a few more yards.  Who is big enough to stop him?

This team has way too many Joneses to use Justin's last name alone.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_1807930. Show user_1807930's posts

In response to Paul_K's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Justin Jones is desperately bad at blocking anyone and anything.  He hasn't played football for a year and on top of that he's naturally clumsy.  Then there are Justin's study habits. Oh, and he can drop the pass pretty well. 

Just to put together a story, I'll assume that BB had to send a message to the other players, "If you don't study, you get passed by."  Justin was a royal mess.  They gave him two months and he wasn't on the learning curve.

Then came the fact that there are zero healthy tight ends on the roster.  BB and staff went back and looked at the videos.  Lo and behold, the other team was actually respecting Justin Jones's route running.  Jones was wide open when that Garoppolo pass was thrown a bit behind him and clanged off of him.  The guy's wingspan was so huge that not covering Jones was an automatic first down, and a damaging hit suffered by a cornerback after that.  Leave Jones alone and his prodigious lateral acceleration gets him open.  The guy may be academically ineligible for long division, but he fills a hole. 

Guys who are cut and then get a second chance (through the miracle of multiple injuries) might have better studying habits.  Or they might not.  We'll see.

On occasion BB cuts somebody and then brings him back, somebody who then turns into an all-time great linebacker.  If BB can get Jones to the practice squad, then Jones works on his clumsiness, works out with the jugs machine, learns to run an NFL route and actually gets almost average at blocking. 

I don't think BB needs a "camp body" as much as he needs someone who might someday improve the team.  If the staff can eventually trim down Jones's notable inadequacies, his natural height and length make him a player.  Even if he can't block, he can go out at wide receiver in a trips formation and maybe screen somebody.  Then he can accelerate laterally and get open 6 yards downfield.  Then, IF he can catch the football, he can plow forward for a few more yards.  Who is big enough to stop him?

[/QUOTE]

I think that you are discounting the genius of BB on this move. Knowing that the LS position was in good hands (relief to me), he was able to switch out a LS for a TE. Pure genius, but it gets better. He switched out a Crimson for a wannabe Pirate. Arrgh! I am probably making too much of this.

I hope you are right, because TE remains clouded in suspense. We have to be careful of wishful thinking, however as Rkarp has proclaimed zero chance of him making any team. Who knows maybe BB's juju will be more powerful than Rkarp's.

Thanks BB.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to user_1807930's comment:

In response to Paul_K's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think that you are discounting the genius of BB on this move. Knowing that the LS position was in good hands (relief to me), he was able to switch out a LS for a TE. Pure genius, but it gets better. He switched out a Crimson for a wannabe Pirate. Arrgh! I am probably making too much of this.

I hope you are right, because TE remains clouded in suspense. We have to be careful of wishful thinking, however as Rkarp has proclaimed zero chance of him making any team. Who knows maybe BB's juju will be more powerful than Rkarp's.

Thanks BB.

[/QUOTE]

Still a chance that Keller comes in after the season starts no? I mean has this guy officially announced his retirement? If not, Id say he still wants to try and play and no other team has signed him so I am holding out hope that Rkarp was right about Keller. His agent said back in April that the knee was good and no one else is bringing him in? Later that month, Pats gave him a physical and said "It went very well"

Probably not healthy yet but could help later in the year when Im sure injuries will have hit. I have to think he is atleast a couple months away or else he would be here, no?.... Here is all I could find....

In less than one week’s time, the Patriots have released two tight ends (Justin Jones and Asa Watson) and brought in three more (Ben Hartsock, Steve Maneri and Terrence Miller) then cut ties with two of them

Given the fact that he’d just arrived the previous Sunday, Maneri deserves a mulligan – speaking of which, perhaps the Patriots should have made more of an attempt to re-sign Matt Mulligan. A blocker first in the mold of Maneri, Mulligan had four receptions in the Chicago Bears’ 20-19 win over Jacksonville on Thursday night.

Halfway through the preseason schedule, Rob Gronkowski remains limited as he rehabs from his most recent trip to the operating room (to repair the anterior cruciate ligament he tore in December) and both Michael Hoomanawanui and D.J. Williams are ailing.

Considering all that, what kind of condition must Dustin Keller’s knee have been in if, after having him in for a visit during the offseason, the Patriots haven’t brought him in since?

I recall fans saying Mulligan wasnt enough but Id love to have him right now. He has produced more in one game than all of our tight ends this summer. Be careful what you wish for. Fells is doing good in N.Y and Ballard just announced his retirement last week. Thanks BB

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

more news on our tight end situation..

http://www.sportsworldreport.com/articles/32913/20140813/rob-gronkowski-injury-rumors-new-england-patriots-out-week-1-jermichael-finley-dustin-keller-free-agent-options-tom-brady-bill-belichick-concerned.htm" rel="nofollow">http://www.sportsworldreport.com/articles/32913/20140813/rob-gronkowski-injury-rumors-new-england-patriots-out-week-1-jermichael-finley-dustin-keller-free-agent-options-tom-brady-bill-belichick-concerned.htm

"A lot of bookies are probably mad at us right now, but we don't give a damn, ... We're the champs!!"

Ty Law after his team defeated the Rams in SB 36.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from GO47. Show GO47's posts

I'm not sure if anyone else has mentioned this but I heard on EEI late this afternoon that Gronk has been cleared to practice 11 on 11 which he did today in pads. He expects to play all 16 regular season games. Hooman also has returned to practice.