Justin Jones

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Re: Justin Jones

From the Globe's Erik Frenz today:

— During that same drill, Justin Jones made a pair of nice grabs. The first came against Devin McCourty, with Jones using his massive wingspan to reach away from McCourty and make the catch. The second came against Shamiel Gary, with the big tight end using his surprising quickness to elude the coverage and make the grab in open space.

McCourty is one of the premier free safeties in the NFL.  If Jones is taking advantage of his own wingspan vs McCourty, he'll certainly do the same or better against Kyle Mini-Me Williams of the Jets.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to Paul_K's comment:

From the Globe's Erik Frenz today:

— During that same drill, Justin Jones made a pair of nice grabs. The first came against Devin McCourty, with Jones using his massive wingspan to reach away from McCourty and make the catch. The second came against Shamiel Gary, with the big tight end using his surprising quickness to elude the coverage and make the grab in open space.

McCourty is one of the premier free safeties in the NFL.  If Jones is taking advantage of his own wingspan vs McCourty, he'll certainly do the same or better against Kyle Mini-Me Williams of the Jets.

[object HTMLDivElement]

I don't think anyone is questioning if he can use his size against FSs I think the question comes in can he do it consistently against players like Collins, can he run the right routes, and will he be a liability in the blocking game. If the answer is yes, yes, and no then he'll have a spot on the team. If the answer is something different then you'll have to ask how much will it take to change it to the right answer before giving him a spot.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Early reports seem promising. Let's hope he keeps developing.couldnt hurt to have another massive TE.

if Gronk and Hooman are locks, assuming we keep 3 TE, it may come down to Jones. develin and Williams. Each offering something a bit different. Of the 3, I think only jones can go to the PS? Maybe Williams...not sure. Williams is more in the mold of AH, develin maybe closer to hooman, jones tough to tell but it doesn't seem he excels in any one thing. The reality is the 3rd TE won't be seeing much time unless Gronk goes down. At this point, I am assuming he misses some time. If you believe this, which of the 3 is start ready? I say develin. 

My pick would be to roll with develin. I like his blocking ability both on the line and out of the backfield, and I think he can develop into a decent catcher...not a primary target by any means but kind of how they used hooman the last couple of years.  Put jones on the PS, kick him some extra cash and hope he stays to develop. 

My real hope is that hooman can develop and get more opportunity as a pass catcher. He has done well here when given the opportunity.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheTinMan. Show TheTinMan's posts

IF Jones does well in camp and, as Patslifer says, Devlin is closer to Hooman, do we keep Devlin, drop Hooman and keep Jones especially for RZ offense?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

Right now JJ is doing better than Jace Amaro for the jets

Pat's Fan lost in Jet Land

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

In response to seawolfxs' comment:

Say it ain't so!  And to think, we could have drafted that guy.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

In response to Salcon's comment:

The fisrt question he had to anser ion camp was " can he block?

and now he is dropping alot of passes

per my post

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[object HTMLDivElement]

lol, I think almost all the draft guys (maybe 1 or 2 felt differently) but most didn't want Amaro. Ebron, Niklas, Fiedorowicz were the hot names, ASJ was a bit more than luke warm with some questions and really Amaro was spoken more as a joker type TE where it seems most wanted more of a "Y" type. But, point taken. 2 years down the road though someone might pull up this quote and you might have to eat some crow is Amaro puts it together and Jones takes the Sudfeld route.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

well. I am saying little bad about Amaro - my only point is that

JJ has shown some agility, his wig span is enormous and can catch the ball, He has the sizes at 275 to block and    until now Amaro has shown very little - altho I am sure Rex thinks he is great lol

I didnt like any of the TE's in thios years draft and am glad that they didnt take Amnaro in round 2 and jsut as glad they got JJ at no cost. Remember 50% of the first roundes dont ever really make it and a whole llot of free agents do

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to TheTinMan's comment:

IF Jones does well in camp and, as Patslifer says, Devlin is closer to Hooman, do we keep Devlin, drop Hooman and keep Jones especially for RZ offense?

I would rather keep hooman than develin if it came down to it. When I compared the 2, I was looking broadly. Like they both are good blockers, and not known for pass catching. Very broad terms. However, if blocking inline, I prefer the size of hooman compared to develin. I also prefer hoomans catching ability from the line compared to develin. Develin is a good all around player, but for a 2 TE, I think hooman wins out. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

[object HTMLDivElement]

lol, I think almost all the draft guys (maybe 1 or 2 felt differently) but most didn't want Amaro. Ebron, Niklas, Fiedorowicz were the hot names, ASJ was a bit more than luke warm with some questions and really Amaro was spoken more as a joker type TE where it seems most wanted more of a "Y" type. But, point taken. 2 years down the road though someone might pull up this quote and you might have to eat some crow is Amaro puts it together and Jones takes the Sudfeld route.

I don't have a problem eating crow.  I just hope I don't have to do it at the expense of the Jets making the right choice.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I don't have a problem eating crow.  I just hope I don't have to do it at the expense of the Jets making the right choice.

[object HTMLDivElement]

We both can agree to that and I hope you don't have to because that means we got the better end of the deal  :p

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

I'm not even buying into this kid until he does something in an actual game. The Zach Sudfeld's of the world make me wary this time of year

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

Don't really think anyone should be eating crow, I greatly enjoy the differences in opinions, even when I disagree. We all want the pats to do it this YEAR. I root for every player who comes into camp . We have all been let down at times. But all these kids work really really hard. jj looks to be a gigantic, pun intended, red zone possibility. A pair of Gronks would be a lot of fun,(I know he isn't as fast, or blocks as well, but in red zone it could be devasting, any player on the bubble and can go to the PS is what I want. JJ will get picked up

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

Don't really think anyone should be eating crow, I greatly enjoy the differences in opinions, even when I disagree. We all want the pats to do it this YEAR. I root for every player who comes into camp . We have all been let down at times. But all these kids work really really hard. jj looks to be a gigantic, pun intended, red zone possibility. A pair of Gronks would be a lot of fun,(I know he isn't as fast, or blocks as well, but in red zone it could be devasting, any player on the bubble and can go to the PS is what I want. JJ will get picked up

A pair of Gronks!  Wow.  Now that is really dreaming but hey, one can dream.  No harm in that.

I'll settle for one 'healthy' Gronk.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

A pair of Gronks!  Wow.  Now that is really dreaming but hey, one can dream.  No harm in that.

I'll settle for one 'healthy' Gronk.

yeah a dream, here is hoping, and I am not holding my breath

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Just in case anyone missed last season here's a recap of the TE position without GRONK.  It sucked!!!  Hoosawhatthefck stinks and if he's a lock that doesn't say much about BB's talent assessment abilities. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

Just in case anyone missed last season here's a recap of the TE position without GRONK.  It sucked!!!  Hoosawhatthefck stinks and if he's a lock that doesn't say much about BB's talent assessment abilities. 

yes but sometimes the golden coin is not laying on the ground to pick up

we had Gronk and ah, how many gold coins do expect to pick up?

not being hars to you, just saying it's not so easy

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I have seen Jones specifically 3 times now, each time in pads. Granted, it is practice, but even in practice, you can see the kid is extremely limited.

the reports are true. He has nice hands. If the ball is near him, he will catch it. But the limitations are numerous. His footwork is really poor. He struggles to get off the line, and has practically zero separation ability. His route running is not good at all. He is 275 pounds, but weak at the point of attack. Seriously, his ability to catch the football should make him a move TE, but he simply does not move well enough for the NFL. His size should make him an in line TE, but he is a really poor blocker. 

There are tools there, including size and hands. The kid needs the full year on PS to work on his route running, footwork and technique. He needs to get stronger. He is intriguing, but for 2-3 years down the road. He has zero shot at this roster. The bigger question is do they see enough in him to use a PS spot, and do other teams try and poach him as they see the same potential the Pats might see? 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

who knows, mebbe Jones will get "injured" and end up on IR if he hasn't developed enough by the time the roster is trimmed down completely.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to OnlyDaTruth's comment:

who knows, mebbe Jones will get "injured" and end up on IR if he hasn't developed enough by the time the roster is trimmed down completely.

That means guaranteeing him $$$$. Granted, not a lot, but still it comes off the available cap number. The next few weeks will determine his route the the NFL . PS. IR. Outright release for another team to work with him.

Honestly, I watched Sudfeld last year also quite closely. I was sucked into his camp performance, and posted so here on the board. I thought Sudfeld was a legit NFL TE prospect, still do, but I do not feel the same on Jones. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

I have seen Jones specifically 3 times now, each time in pads. Granted, it is practice, but even in practice, you can see the kid is extremely limited.

the reports are true. He has nice hands. If the ball is near him, he will catch it. But the limitations are numerous. His footwork is really poor. He struggles to get off the line, and has practically zero separation ability. His route running is not good at all. He is 275 pounds, but weak at the point of attack. Seriously, his ability to catch the football should make him a move TE, but he simply does not move well enough for the NFL. His size should make him an in line TE, but he is a really poor blocker. 

There are tools there, including size and hands. The kid needs the full year on PS to work on his route running, footwork and technique. He needs to get stronger. He is intriguing, but for 2-3 years down the road. He has zero shot at this roster. The bigger question is do they see enough in him to use a PS spot, and do other teams try and poach him as they see the same potential the Pats might see? 

okay,

buyer beware

Sections
Shortcuts