Justin Tuck would be a good fit if the price were right

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

Justin Tuck would be a good fit if the price were right

Judging by last years market, and the fact that he had a so-so season, (11 total sacks, but 8 in 3 games) tells me he shouldn't expect a big deal. If it's in the Freeney range, I would hope the Pats consider it.

1. He's a big game player. I think he might take off plays when things are going well, but in the Giants two post season runs, this guy is a monster. Pats need a playoff performer, not someone who plays well in the regular season and does nothing in the playoffs.

2. He can play DE/DT. Can come up with a mini nascar on third downs with He, Jones, and Nink/Collins...The pass rush was inconsistent this season, and nonexistent against the game against DEN. This should also help with those third and longs that the Pats always seem to give up.

3. He fared well against the run? Didnt watch enough GMEN games to know, but I read that he did pretty well.

4. It's a risk. But like all Second-Middle Tier FA's, it's a risk signing. However, if I'm taking a risk, I would take it on a 31 yr old who has had a history of showing up in big games. Not someone who pads stats in the regular season.

If he's looking for 3 years, I say no. If it's a 2 year deal where you can cut him after the first with no huge cap implications, I say definitely. This guy has more rings than anyone on the roster not named Brady. He can offer a lot, and while he's 31 next season, I still think he has a few good years left.

Again, only if the price is right. If someone else wants to give him a huge contract, so be it.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Re: Justin Tuck would be a good fit if the price were right

good post. i agree with you, tuck could be a great situational rusher on 3rd downs maybe ad some more. he would take or force attention off on Jones and Nink

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Tuck if Kelly or Vince do not come back. Don't think pats can go with all 3. Personally, I prefer Vince and Kelly over Tuck if medicals a check out.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Tuck likes NY, and a guy that got 11 sacks last year doesn't have to take a second level contract from anybody - and he won't - wish he would, but if he does it will be from NY not us. I think he can ask - and most likely receive - anywhere from 5.5 million per season, up to 6.5 million. And I think he easliy will get a 4 year deal.

I'd like to have him here though.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

Tuck if Kelly or Vince do not come back. Don't think pats can go with all 3. Personally, I prefer Vince and Kelly over Tuck if medicals a check out.

agree with this. KElly can get pressure on the QB as shown first few weeks of the year. Difference b/w kelly and tuck is Kelly can be a much better run stuffer than Tuck imo

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from stegall85. Show stegall85's posts

If the price is similar would you rather have Tuck or Jared Allen?

Allen should be flexible as he's got no ring.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

I LOVE Tuck as part of the DE rotation, and the 3rd down NT when Vince goes to the sideline.

1st down and 10:

Jones, Tuck, Wilfork, Ninkovich on the line. 

Collins, Mayo, Hightower on the next level.

That's a front 7 I am drooling over!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from wmasschilly. Show wmasschilly's posts

Shame Bequette has contributed zilch...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

Absolutely grab Tuck if you can at right price, no questions...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

Tuck likes NY, and a guy that got 11 sacks last year doesn't have to take a second level contract from anybody - and he won't - wish he would, but if he does it will be from NY not us. I think he can ask - and most likely receive - anywhere from 5.5 million per season, up to 6.5 million. And I think he easliy will get a 4 year deal.

I'd like to have him here though.

Tuck sounded like he played his last game in NY. I dont see Tuck getting a 4 year deal.

Look at the top pass rushers from last season: Avril, Umenyiora, Abraham, Freeney, etc.

Tuck is no longer a premiere pass rusher. Orakpo, Michael Johnson and Greg Hardy will be the guys reeling in the big bucks this off season. I would then say Jared Allen and Michael Bennett are considered the next tier guys.

I would prefer Tuck over Allen just because of the versatility. Allen is a better pure pass rusher, I just like the fact that Tuck has played a lot on the inside too.

And I would choose Tuck, VW and a rookie DT than VW, Kelly and a rookie DE. This is Tommy Kelly's second ACL tear and he's 33. If you told me the Kelly we saw in the first 5 games was coming back, I'd take Kelly. I'm not optimistic about that right now. I also think rookie DT's have more of an impact than rookie DE's.

Nink might be an odd man out, but if they can afford him, I like the fact that Nink can be a 4-3 DE and a 4-3 OLB.

This team needs a better pass rush. Tuck gives us that from the outside and the inside.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

1. Greg Hardy

2. Brian Orakpo

3. Michael Johnson

4. Michael Bennett

5. Jared Allen

6. Justin Tuck

That's my list as of the pecking order as of right now on the highest paid pass rushers as of right now. I think Hardy gets franchised/resigned...however, more guys will be on the market after releases too.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SANPAT. Show SANPAT's posts

Our LB core is ok but I think if we can get him on cheap then its ok.  I would rather place higher priority on free agent PURE Pass Rusher....Chandler Jones faded towards end of season and they could could use some help with rotational guy...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

In response to SANPAT's comment:

Our LB core is ok but I think if we can get him on cheap then its ok.  I would rather place higher priority on free agent PURE Pass Rusher....Chandler Jones faded towards end of season and they could could use some help with rotational guy...

Tuck isn't a linebacker...he's a pass rusher....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SANPAT. Show SANPAT's posts

In response to dapats1281's comment:

In response to SANPAT's comment:

Tuck isn't a linebacker...he's a pass rusher....

I would rather take Jared Allen as pass rusher...

Sections
Shortcuts