Kaepernick has guts!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

Kaepernick has guts!

So apparently Kaepernick was the one who checked into the fade on that controversial final play for the 49ers. He said a play was called for coverage, he saw cover zero, and audibled out of the original play.

I don't know if a fade is the best call for a fourth down play, but I'll commend the kid on the guts he took. There is no almost no bigger play in the game of football than that 4th down. He saw something,  trusted his himself on what he saw and tried to take control.

Obviously, it didn't work out. But this was just his 10th start. I think he'll be more adept to know what works and what doesn't work in those situations with more playing time. Out of all the starting QBs who finished out the season, only Hoyer, Pryor and Foles had less playing time than him. 

I like the kids confidence. I like his ability. Don't know of his worth ethic is, but if it's good he's got a really great chance of developing into something very special. I was impressed with a lot of his passes in the game. Teams may figure out the pistol, but he's got the arm to compensate

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Re: Kaepernick has guts!

They should have ran it every down. They would have won the game. he could've bootlegged it

Instead they invited a full on blitz on the 4th down, who didn't know that was gonna happen

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

My sense tells me he is a bit overconfident and will have to learn the hard way. Nobody will be mistaking him for a really smart savvy leader anytime soon.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

My sense tells me he is a bit overconfident and will have to learn the hard way. Nobody will be mistaking him for a really smart savvy leader anytime soon.

Porbably rubs off from his coach a little too. Alex Smith seems a little more level headed

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnTAlouette. Show JohnTAlouette's posts

I would hate to see a Super Bowl won with the fade. Ed Reed had it covered.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

In response to kansaspatriot's comment:

They should have ran it every down. They would have won the game. he could've bootlegged it

Instead they invited a full on blitz on the 4th down, who didn't know that was gonna happen

I agree on this completely. I would've went with the pistol read option for the first 3 plays on the final 4 plays. Also use Gore not James.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to RockScully's comment:

In response to dapats1281's comment:

So apparently Kaepernick was the one who checked into the fade on that controversial final play for the 49ers. He said a play was called for coverage, he saw cover zero, and audibled out of the original play.

I don't know if a fade is the best call for a fourth down play, but I'll commend the kid on the guts he took. There is no almost no bigger play in the game of football than that 4th down. He saw something,  trusted his himself on what he saw and tried to take control.

Obviously, it didn't work out. But this was just his 10th start. I think he'll be more adept to know what works and what doesn't work in those situations with more playing time. Out of all the starting QBs who finished out the season, only Hoyer, Pryor and Foles had less playing time than him. 

I like the kids confidence. I like his ability. Don't know of his worth ethic is, but if it's good he's got a really great chance of developing into something very special. I was impressed with a lot of his passes in the game. Teams may figure out the pistol, but he's got the arm to compensate

I call it stupidity.  It's very easy to argue Harbaugh's stupidity/arrogance cost them the SB.  They very likely could have been in the SB with Smith anyway, but to seriously give him autonomy as a rookie to audible? Dumbest thing ever. He's running a pistol base as they sprinkle in some random passing plays over the top.

He's cocky, brash and the deer in the headlights in the first half basically cost the win. The kissing of the bicep thing is also lame.

The arm is clear, but I also think the pistol is a huge way for him to draw zone coverage in to make what are really routine passes, regardless of Simms fawning over those.  The rest of us are yelling at the tv, wanting SF to win, as he throws high, late or to the wrong player.

Those 4 plays, one timeout burned, an almost second delay of game near the goal line was also horrendous.

There is no way on earth I would have allowed him autonomy in that situation.  Run your best plays and keep it simple.

I agree. Give NFL D Coordinaters an entire offseason to scheme against Kaepernick and we will see how he looks then. That 1st and goal from the 5 was a golden opportunity and he totally blew it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

I Agree,KanasPat Should Have Run The Ball, He Will Learn From This Great Come Back Try...

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:

I call it stupidity.  It's very easy to argue Harbaugh's stupidity/arrogance cost them the SB.  They very likely could have been in the SB with Smith anyway, but to seriously give him autonomy as a rookie to audible? Dumbest thing ever. He's running a pistol base as they sprinkle in some random passing plays over the top.

He's cocky, brash and the deer in the headlights in the first half basically cost the win. The kissing of the bicep thing is also lame.

The arm is clear, but I also think the pistol is a huge way for him to draw zone coverage in to make what are really routine passes, regardless of Simms fawning over those.  The rest of us are yelling at the tv, wanting SF to win, as he throws high, late or to the wrong player.

Those 4 plays, one timeout burned, an almost second delay of game near the goal line was also horrendous.

There is no way on earth I would have allowed him autonomy in that situation.  Run your best plays and keep it simple.

I agree. Give NFL D Coordinaters an entire offseason to scheme against Kaepernick and we will see how he looks then. That 1st and goal from the 5 was a golden opportunity and he totally blew it.

the kid's not yet 24 and started 10 games-he'll be back

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

i thought harbaugh cost them the entire season when he switched to kaepernick from smith in mid-season...some know-it-all on here said that at the time...

who was that? hmmm...let me see

i might be wrong but i think it was the same one who said ravens would never win again with ray lewis...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

In response to stan17's comment:

I agree on this completely. I would've went with the pistol read option for the first 3 plays on the final 4 plays. Also use Gore not James.

I am a Pat fan(all Boston teams) first as first 21 years in Maine but now live in SF.

First, I blame Harbaugh for the loss as if 49ers scored at the end, all the calls/non calls issues would have been moot ! First and 7 he calls a running play & gets 2. So has 3 downs to get 5 yards. It's 2 min 20 sec and he lets clock run down burning the 20 secs. This is tremendous overconfidence they are to score & he wants no time left on the clock. I prefer to get the score and then, yup, there's still a min or so where good defense is needed as they did in the Atlanta game. But if they don't score & hold Balt as they did from the 5 yard line, they would have had 20 more secs & maybe 2 pass plays Hail Mary's or not.

Ok, the egregious non holding call on 4th down as defender had his arms around Crabtree as if Dancing with the Stars. How about 1st and goal with 1 min left ?

But on the 4th down Kaep should have called the last time out as he saw the defense was going to blitz and he was rushed in the pass to Crabtree.

On the safety play, Balt was holding...no call...& penalty would have left clock at 11 sec & not 4 sec so time for 1 Hail Mary.

I felt Balt was holding on the 2 pt conversion the 49ers did not make.

How about Rice's run which was 1 yard short & they were given a 1st down. Harbaugh threw the flag & won the call but they did get the 1st on the next play.

On the 106 yard kick off return a block in the back was not called.

Again, if they scored in the last minute all these bad calls/non calls wouldn't have mattered.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

Pistol is nothing like the wildcat.

The wildcat died out because it largely consisted of having players who couldn't throw the ball take the snap. You rarely saw teams throw from the wildcat, teams just figured you could stack the box and it would work.

Under the pistol, theyre still using a QB. And if the QB can throw from the pocket, then it's going to be effective. It's not like they ran the read option on every snap either. The only problem I have with the read option is that it's going to get QBs killed. But Kaepernick, RG3, and Russ Wilson are much more competent passers than Ronnie Brown, Brad Smith, Tim Tebow and whoever else ran the wildcat. Wild cat is more comparable to going to an empty backfield with an immobile QB...pretty much just giving away whether or not you're going to pass or run.

Kaepernick still has a lot of development left. But compared to other QBs who started Super Bowls in their second years, I thought he compares favorably to what Brady and Roethlisberger did in their first Super Bowls, and he did it with less experience. Biggest difference is that the Pats and Steelers D rose to the occasion.

Also, he fared much better than Luck, Manning and Brady did against this Ravens D.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Porbably rubs off from his coach a little too. Alex Smith seems a little more level headed

Thats the difference between good and great, Smith and Kaepernick.  Look who was leading the team in the SB.  They were 6 yards away from winning the game.  Legends take chances, playing safe doesn't get you a head and make you great.  Had Crabtree ran the route better instead of running straight into the CB he might have been able to make the play.  He ran a terrible route, imo.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

Thats the difference between good and great, Smith and Kaepernick.  Look who was leading the team in the SB.  They were 6 yards away from winning the game.  Legends take chances, playing safe doesn't get you a head and make you great.  Had Crabtree ran the route better instead of running straight into the CB he might have been able to make the play.  He ran a terrible route, imo.

It's not like Kaepernick led some group of players to the Super Bowl after Smith was a failure. This team was two misplayed punts away from being in the Super Bowl last year with Alex Smith at QB and no "pistol" offense. In my opinion, Kaepernick got WAY too much credit for the 49ers success. In the regular season, the team was 6-2 with Smith at QB, and 5-2 with Kaepernick (they tied the Rams the game that Smith got injured).

This was not like Brady taking over that was 5-11 the season before and in the process of losing it's second game when took over and leading to 11-3 over the rest of the season.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

It's really hard to be that critical of a young player who did some very good things as QB of a superbowl team.  He will learn from his mistakes, and the Niners will be heard from again.  On the other side of the field, Flacco really impressed me in the playoffs.  I didn't think he had it in him to play like he did, but he proved a lot of us wrong.  Both SB QBs are solid. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to FrnkBnhm's comment:

It's not like Kaepernick led some group of players to the Super Bowl after Smith was a failure. This team was two misplayed punts away from being in the Super Bowl last year with Alex Smith at QB and no "pistol" offense. In my opinion, Kaepernick got WAY too much credit for the 49ers success. In the regular season, the team was 6-2 with Smith at QB, and 5-2 with Kaepernick (they tied the Rams the game that Smith got injured).

This was not like Brady taking over that was 5-11 the season before and in the process of losing it's second game when took over and leading to 11-3 over the rest of the season.

I get it, I like Smith and think they would have done well with him playing but I don't think they would have made it to the SB.  I don't think they would have beat the Packers with Smith.  Kaepernick adds multiple weapons, threat running and he can throw the deep ball so much better then Smith.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Smith was in last year's SB barring 2 fumbles by a rookie kick returner.  Who knows if Smith would have led them to a win, but the whole move was implying that Kaepernick would.  FAIL

Dude you need to quit with your Kaepernick hating.  Smith played like complete dogs hit in the NFC Championship game last year.  Even if they had won that game it wouldn't have been because of Smith.  Whether you like it or not they made it to the SB with Kaepernick (something you said wouldn't happen) and you are now trying to shift the goalposts because they didn't win.  You act like it was a given they would have even made the SB this year with Smith.  Last time I checked it's pretty dam hard to make it to a SB.  I do not understand why you have such a man crush on Alex Smith.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Did the win the SB with Kaepernick? I don't think so. In fact, he choked.

Smith was in last year's SB barring 2 fumbles by a rookie kick returner.  Who knows if Smith would have led them to a win, but the whole move was implying that Kaepernick would.  FAIL

Did they make it to the SB last year with Smith?  Fumbles....excuses, excuses!  All losing efforts have excuses, part of the game.  Davis dropped a sideline catch in the SB that would have been huge, probably a td.  Crabtree dropped a big one over the middle in the SB that would  have been huge, possibly a TD. There's 14 points right there.  Crabtree ran a horrible route on 4th and goal, running right to the CB instead of the corner, vey possibly a game winning td.  Did Kaepernick choke? I sure wouldn't say that.  Thats foolish talk.  I doubt they would have even been in the game at the end with Smith.  Doubt they would have even been in the SB with Smith.  They don't get bye GB with Smith. 

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

Dude you need to quit with your Kaepernick hating.  Smith played like complete dogs hit in the NFC Championship game last year.  Even if they had won that game it wouldn't have been because of Smith.  Whether you like it or not they made it to the SB with Kaepernick (something you said wouldn't happen) and you are now trying to shift the goalposts because they didn't win.  You act like it was a given they would have even made the SB this year with Smith.  Last time I checked it's pretty dam hard to make it to a SB.  I do not understand why you have such a man crush on Alex Smith.

Right on, you get it.  RockSkully has a very hard time admitting when he is wrong, which seems to be most of the time.  And yet, not once has he admitted he has been wrong.  Talk about ignorant!  I have yet to see any of the former players or analyists on tv say they would have won with Smith.  Doubts were out early after Kaepernick took over but he has proved himself and all have been on board since.  The dude has been getting high praise since he has taken over the QB spot. 

Current players, former players and analyists have talked Kaepernick up about being the future of the league, the pistol offense, better then RG3 and Wilson.  The Pistol Offense is here, it's not a fluke like the wildcat and nobody runs it better then Colin Kaepernick.  Everyone sees it and the only one who seems to be in the dark about it is RockSkully.  Smith will be gone and will probably never help lead a team to the SB, while the 49'ers will be in the running for the next several years.  I said Kaepernick was legit back when he took over, said I was worried about him against the Pats and he ended up having a huge game against them, yet people here, RockSkully, said differently and continues to ignore the fact that the kid is good, very good.  Unreal!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to bobbysu's comment:

That fade pass was uncatchable, thats why no flag. If he threw it more in Field of Play would have been called.
    Wish more games were Ref, like this. I see plays were recievers have absolutely no chance at catching the ball and the flag will come out.

It was a great no call.  Crabtree ran straight into the CB, could have ran a much better route and gave himself a chance at catching it.  Still can't believe they didn't run one run play down there.