Kaepernick has guts!

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Re: Kaepernick has guts!

In response to RockScully's comment:

So did Eli Manning, who is now a QB that everyone calls "elite".   That was a low scoring defensive battle. 

So, why did Eli Manning play bad, but somehow only Smith did? That doesn't make any sense. Smith is in last year's SB and possibly beats us.

Smith was player of the week at least ONCE this year and I can tell ya right now, he wouldn't have lost that game vs the lowly Rams either.

And no, I didn't say he wouldn't lead them to the SB, I said if they don't win it all, it wouldn't have been worth making the change.  Good job by the 49ers to beat GB and the Seattle at home, but it's also a good thing a rookie kick returner didn't fumble twice on his own 20, too.

LMAO

PS Randy Moss also wasn't available to Smith last year like he was to Kapernick this year.

The fact is, the Harbaughs have massive egos. It worked for one, hurt the other.

Lame points, lame arguments.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

In response to pcmIV's comment:

Smith was in last year's SB barring 2 fumbles by a rookie kick returner.  Who knows if Smith would have led them to a win, but the whole move was implying that Kaepernick would.  FAIL

Dude you need to quit with your Kaepernick hating.  Smith played like complete dogs hit in the NFC Championship game last year.  Even if they had won that game it wouldn't have been because of Smith.  Whether you like it or not they made it to the SB with Kaepernick (something you said wouldn't happen) and you are now trying to shift the goalposts because they didn't win.  You act like it was a given they would have even made the SB this year with Smith.  Last time I checked it's pretty dam hard to make it to a SB.  I do not understand why you have such a man crush on Alex Smith.

Right on, you get it.  RockSkully has a very hard time admitting when he is wrong, which seems to be most of the time.  And yet, not once has he admitted he has been wrong.  Talk about ignorant!  I have yet to see any of the former players or analyists on tv say they would have won with Smith.  Doubts were out early after Kaepernick took over but he has proved himself and all have been on board since.  The dude has been getting high praise since he has taken over the QB spot. 

Current players, former players and analyists have talked Kaepernick up about being the future of the league, the pistol offense, better then RG3 and Wilson.  The Pistol Offense is here, it's not a fluke like the wildcat and nobody runs it better then Colin Kaepernick.  Everyone sees it and the only one who seems to be in the dark about it is RockSkully.  Smith will be gone and will probably never help lead a team to the SB, while the 49'ers will be in the running for the next several years.  I said Kaepernick was legit back when he took over, said I was worried about him against the Pats and he ended up having a huge game against them, yet people here, RockSkully, said differently and continues to ignore the fact that the kid is good, very good.  Unreal!

It's a fluke.  Bruce Arians, OC for Roethlisberger and coach of the year, now new head coach of Arizona, was asked about it and he politely smiled and said it's a fluke.

You sound like a very impressionable teenager, but I thought you had said you had kids yourself? Odd.

Gimmicks and fads never last, nor will the read option run by QBs who happen to have good arms.

NFL defenses are too fast, too smart, too well coached, generally speaking, for a gimmick to be a base part of an offense.

All we heard about was the Wildcat starting in 2008 and now where is it? 

Pistol vs. Wildcat is apples to oranges. One features a run-oriented, normally run-only player taking a direct-snap and running the ball. You're telling the defense exactly what you plan to do.. not terribly hard to figure it out, and it's understandable that it no longer is prominent in the NFL. The pistol features a capable thrower taking a direct-snap and having the option to hand it off, run it himself, or throw the ball. 

The pistol isn't a fad, nor is it a gimmick. It's an effective offensive system as we saw this year. 

I'm sure that a lot of people said that draw plays were gimmicks when they started. Or play-action passes, or the shotgun. 

The pistol will be around so long as it's effective, which I envision will be for awhile.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

Smith was in last year's SB barring 2 fumbles by a rookie kick returner.  Who knows if Smith would have led them to a win, but the whole move was implying that Kaepernick would.  FAIL

Dude you need to quit with your Kaepernick hating.  Smith played like complete dogs hit in the NFC Championship game last year.  Even if they had won that game it wouldn't have been because of Smith.  Whether you like it or not they made it to the SB with Kaepernick (something you said wouldn't happen) and you are now trying to shift the goalposts because they didn't win.  You act like it was a given they would have even made the SB this year with Smith.  Last time I checked it's pretty dam hard to make it to a SB.  I do not understand why you have such a man crush on Alex Smith.

So did Eli Manning, who is now a QB that everyone calls "elite".   That was a low scoring defensive battle. 

So, why did Eli Manning play bad, but somehow only Smith did? That doesn't make any sense. Smith is in last year's SB and possibly beats us.

Smith was player of the week at least ONCE this year and I can tell ya right now, he wouldn't have lost that game vs the lowly Rams either.

And no, I didn't say he wouldn't lead them to the SB, I said if they don't win it all, it wouldn't have been worth making the change.  Good job by the 49ers to beat GB and the Seattle at home, but it's also a good thing a rookie kick returner didn't fumble twice on his own 20, too.

LMAO

PS Randy Moss also wasn't available to Smith last year like he was to Kapernick this year.

The fact is, the Harbaughs have massive egos. It worked for one, hurt the other.

If you think Randy Moss had a big effect on this offense, or provided Kaepernick with a dangerous weapon, you're kidding yourself. The guy caught a few passes here and there, had a nice few plays, but he's a shell of his former self, and really not a big concern to defenses. 

There's a reason that Manningham was above him on the depth-chart prior to his injury.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Right on, you get it.  RockSkully has a very hard time admitting when he is wrong, which seems to be most of the time.  And yet, not once has he admitted he has been wrong.  Talk about ignorant!  I have yet to see any of the former players or analyists on tv say they would have won with Smith.  Doubts were out early after Kaepernick took over but he has proved himself and all have been on board since.  The dude has been getting high praise since he has taken over the QB spot. 

Current players, former players and analyists have talked Kaepernick up about being the future of the league, the pistol offense, better then RG3 and Wilson.  The Pistol Offense is here, it's not a fluke like the wildcat and nobody runs it better then Colin Kaepernick.  Everyone sees it and the only one who seems to be in the dark about it is RockSkully.  Smith will be gone and will probably never help lead a team to the SB, while the 49'ers will be in the running for the next several years.  I said Kaepernick was legit back when he took over, said I was worried about him against the Pats and he ended up having a huge game against them, yet people here, RockSkully, said differently and continues to ignore the fact that the kid is good, very good.  Unreal!

It's a fluke.  Bruce Arians, OC for Roethlisberger and coach of the year, now new head coach of Arizona, was asked about it and he politely smiled and said it's a fluke.

You sound like a very impressionable teenager, but I thought you had said you had kids yourself? Odd.

Gimmicks and fads never last, nor will the read option run by QBs who happen to have good arms.

NFL defenses are too fast, too smart, too well coached, generally speaking, for a gimmick to be a base part of an offense.

The wildcat was a gimmick, used only once in a while... as a gimmick play.  The Pistol, the read option is being used as a complet offense by at least 3 current teams, 49'ers, Redkins, Seahawks.  It takes the right QB to run it, these 3 players RG3, Wilson and Kaepernick are the right QB's with Kaepernick being the best of the 3 running it.  It's huge for the passing game too, not just the running game.  Of course Arians is going to say that, he doesn't have the talent to run it, he probably won't run it and his ignorance towards it will cause him to fail when he faces offenses that do run it.

Impressionable teenager? I wish, lol!!  Naw, I have just seen the Pistol offense ran first hand, seen it develop since conception and seen the success it has.  It's legit, but you need the right QB for it.  And we are seeing more and more of those "right QB's" coming out of college these days so it will be around for a while I would imagine.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

InThere is no way on earth I would have allowed him autonomy in that situation.  Run your best plays and keep it simple.

[/QUOTE]

Hmmm. Don't you think that the Ravens would have picked up on this and stacked the line to counter it? It's not like we've never seen a offense stopped cold inside the 10 yard line, right? Especially an All Universe offense, against the, GASP!, same Ravens. When do they get credit for stopping the Niners? They bottled up the Niners running game all night, finding a way to control the kid all night, one long TD run excepted.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

LMAO

Eli was playing against a much better defense for one.  He got sacked 6 times and got hit probably like 20.  The key point is that Smith completely left his defense out to dry the entire game.  SF was 1-13 on 3rd down.  1-13!!!!!  The Giants ran over 30 plays more than SF and dominated ToP because of it.  Eli didn't play great, but Smith was terrible.  Had he even been average they would have won by double digits.  The 49ers defense was on another level in that game.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Eli was playing against a much better defense for one.  He got sacked 6 times and got hit probably like 20.  The key point is that Smith completely left his defense out to dry the entire game.  SF was 1-13 on 3rd down.  1-13!!!!!  The Giants ran over 30 plays more than SF and dominated ToP because of it.  Eli didn't play great, but Smith was terrible.  Had he even been average they would have won by double digits.  The 49ers defense was on another level in that game.

Good post. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

How is it apples to oranges? They're variations of run based plays with the QB involved, vs a traditional hand off.

The Wildcat also featured someone throwing it they so chose. All these things are offenses that are intended to protect a weak throwing QB so it can confuse and buy time.  Gimmick.

If you don't have an accurate arm, quick decision making on reads, in the NFL, you're not going to make it.

The Wildcat and Pistol are a crutch for these young QBs. I want to see them run a modern offense without it before jumping on these gimmick bandwagons.

Wow!  Really?  The wildcat is far different then the Pistol offense.  The Pistol offense is just as much about the pass as it is about the run.  Crutch?  Seriously?  Weak armed QB's?  I wouldn't even mention weak armed QB's and RG3, Wilson, Kaepernick in the same breath as they are far from it.  You need to do some study on the Pistol offense. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

The "pistol" as it were is not a gimmick, it's an evolution of the West Coast Offense with Steve Young at the helm. Unlike the Wildcat it won't fade away into obscurity because there are a bunch of mobile QB's who can actually pass and offensive coordinators who understand that the play action is deadly. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

RockScully getting owned in here.  Once again shows how completly ignorant he is.  Continues to argue points even when he is wrong and proven wrong.  How can we take anything this guy say's seriously?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

The wildcat was a gimmick, used only once in a while... as a gimmick play.  The Pistol, the read option is being used as a complet offense by at least 3 current teams, 49'ers, Redkins, Seahawks.  It takes the right QB to run it, these 3 players RG3, Wilson and Kaepernick are the right QB's with Kaepernick being the best of the 3 running it.  It's huge for the passing game too, not just the running game.  Of course Arians is going to say that, he doesn't have the talent to run it, he probably won't run it and his ignorance towards it will cause him to fail when he faces offenses that do run it.

Impressionable teenager? I wish, lol!!  Naw, I have just seen the Pistol offense ran first hand, seen it develop since conception and seen the success it has.  It's legit, but you need the right QB for it.  And we are seeing more and more of those "right QB's" coming out of college these days so it will be around for a while I would imagine.

Not true. The Wildcat was new to the NFL and used as a base offense in many games in 2008 until it was snuffed out.

It's no different with Tebow running it last year with no film on him in Denver. Once teams got up to speed studying it, it was snuffed out.

Look at the SB, for crying out loud. Their pistol did nothing! Nothing. It actually did nothing against us as well.  Take out our own 4 turnovers giving them chances to score in other ways in the air, just like they did on Balt, and we beat SF.

This is Tebow Part II last year in Denver, but with a QB who can throw.  So he can throw? Big deal.

He's going to get crushed running at some point, too.

dont compare Tebow with Kaepernick

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Can someone please explain to me what Rusty means when he says the "Pistol did nothing" in the SB?  I mean he realizes that they run basically every play out of the pistol and that they scored 29 points and put up over 400 yards of offense right?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

In response to AZPAT's comment:

InThere is no way on earth I would have allowed him autonomy in that situation.  Run your best plays and keep it simple.

Hmmm. Don't you think that the Ravens would have picked up on this and stacked the line to counter it? It's not like we've never seen a offense stopped cold inside the 10 yard line, right? Especially an All Universe offense, against the, GASP!, same Ravens. When do they get credit for stopping the Niners? They bottled up the Niners running game all night, finding a way to control the kid all night, one long TD run excepted.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Agreed. I am just saying, in that situation, you pull out your best 4 plays and execute each to the best of your ability until you score a TD.

Did you really think that playcalling and clock management was good? It was terrible!  That cocky kid was audibiling like he's Brady on the 5 yard line, wasting timeouts, etc. They could have run at least one running play and still saved that timeout after that running play was over if those so chose.

That series in itself shows the crutch that is the Pistol offense.  He was not confident in passing in tight windows in the red zone, because he relies a lot on the Pistol for his base offense.

FAIL

I would have run at least ONCE and targeted Moss on a lobb play in the end zone at least once.

Why neither of these occurred is beyond me.

[/QUOTE]

And, what if they don't score? Who devines their "best plays"? I believe this falls under the "coaching" category. Hit them with something unexpected, like the fake FG attempt. Caught them by surprise, and almost worked. Great 8 yard call from 9 yards out, though. 

As for clock management, perhaps you need a reminder of how they tied the Broncos with 31 seconds left? It's not like Flacco hadn't hit a 56 yard pass for a TD, or that it couldn't, wouldn't, or wasn't going to work again. How long did it take for that play to be completred? Let's leave the coaching to the guys who get paid to do it. We can all second guess, and we sure have done a LOT of that here, but our jobs aren't the ones on the line. How often do we see/hear that a 5 yd penalty there isn't so bad, as it gives the offense an addt'l 5 yards to run plays in, especially if you throw the ball. Running games don't like it much, as it's rare that a 5 yd gain ensues on the next play. Plus, at that point of the game, it's the clock that matters, NOT the yards.

Again, where's the credit to the Ravens for shutting the kid's running down, except for that one TD sprint? I seem to recall many no gains, small losses, or minimal gains on those plays. Again, if you know what's going to be coming your way, you can defend it better. Except if you have Adrian Peterson in your backfield. Then, you pray you get a stop before 30 yards have gone by.

A lob pass to Moss (aka: Mr Soft) wasn't goignt o work, as the DB's were playign physical, which he dznt like,a dn they were on a short field. he's better in a longer, more open field, when a DB loses coverage. Wasn't happening inside the red zone.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

So the Ravens shut Kaepernick down in the run game but here is the beauty of the Pistol... He had over 300 yards passing and Gore had over 100 yards rushing.   I don't think the Ravens shut them down.  Thats pretty impressive if you ask me.  And here is another beautiful thing about the Pistol with Kaepernick running it, he is a dual threat and it doesn't take anything away from Gores game.  Gore averaged more rushing yards per game with Kaepernick running the offense then he did with Smith running it.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Can someone please explain to me what Rusty means when he says the "Pistol did nothing" in the SB?  I mean he realizes that they run basically every play out of the pistol and that they scored 29 points and put up over 400 yards of offense right?

I'm not sure anyone can explain what Rusty means.  He just doesn't make sense.  He can't even explain what he means, he tries to but he is so wrong that he can't even explain.  His posts are just shake your head moments, imo.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

You're also an idiot if you don't think teams figured out how to stop it last year. They scored over 20 points just 4 times. 

They tried to use it a lot in the 1st half and they scored 2 FGs.

Good thing the power outage happened! lmao

Oh my good god. I feel like I am conversing with 10 year olds on a short bus here.  Kaapernick running for a TD from 20 yards out or Ginn returning a punt to the Balt 20 has nothing to do with the Pistol and its proficiency.

Nothing.

Kaepernick was AWFUL in it in the 1st half with an INT and only 6 points scored.

So because it didn't work in the first half means its useless? Guess I forgot that every other formation never has a scoreless half. That offense Brady, Rodgers, Ryan, Manning, Luck must all be gimmicks. Ryan and Brady were shut out in the second halves of their games and couldn't capitalize in red zone opportunities. Luck couldn't get into the endzone at all. Manning's offense only mustered 21 points and Rodgers could only score  24, 7 of which came in garbage time.

They moved down the field against the Ravens. Ravens stiffened up in the redzone, just like they did for most of the playoffs.

And the Tebow thing...a Tebow led offense scored 20 points just 4 times last season. Teams weren't confused by him. Saying that Tebow was effective is idiotic. Their defense is what stepped up.

Alex Smith has shown that he can't comeback from a multiple possession deficit this season. Couldn't do it against Minn or NYG. SF was terrible for the first halves of all three of their playoff games. Quit talking like Smith is a pro bowl caliber QB. His numbers were decent because his defense often put him in a position where he didn't have to take control of a game. He had one great game against the Saints last season. Quit acting like that's a routine thing for him.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

LMAO

This is an asinine statement.  It worked for one, hurt the other????????

How can you say such a thing?  Each one of them got as far as they could until one had to beat the other, and if that hadn't happened then the other would have beaten the one!

If you think their massive egos were some kind of catalyst, then it must have been the catalyst that propelled them to the Superbowl having beaten all comers leaving only themselves to figure out which ego was the correct one to earn the Lombardi. 

Asinine.