Karft Group settles in lawsuit

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxrockursox. Show soxrockursox's posts

Karft Group settles in lawsuit

Settlement Reached in Countryfest Lawsuit Against Kraft Group Posted by Daniel Libon (Editor) , November 04, 2013 at 11:17 PM patch Comment    Recommend      Credit: WHDH Credit: WHDH Loading...   x ×   Next Previous Slideshow Download 47 0 0 Popular Stories

Only minutes after a jury was expected to be seated, a settlement has been reached in a lawsuit against the Kraft Group.

The lawsuit pertained to a fatal drunken driving accident on Route 1 on the day of the 2008 New England Country Music Festival. The crash took the lives of two women, a 20-year-old and a 19-year-old.

The Davis family, who lost their daughter in the crash, claimed the Kraft Group allowed the underaged drinking to take place in the parking lot. While the two victims did not have tickets to the show, they were reportedly tailgating prior to the 2008 Country Music Festival.

The Kraft Group argued that they were not responsible because they did not supply the two women with alcohol.

“We are glad that it’s come to a close. I'm sorry that it took so long. It's been five long years. But hopefully, there is a positive message out there to other parents. You know, to check for tickets. And to realize, you know, that whole scenario and keep your kids safe,” said Maryann Davis, mother of victim told WHDH.

The terms of the settlement were not disclosed and the attorneys left the courthouse with no comment

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

Re: Karft Group settles in lawsuit

I fail to see where "The Kraft Group" is responsible for two minors drinking in their parking lot. Lawsuits like this make me sick.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to tanbass' comment:
    [QUOTE]

I fail to see where "The Kraft Group" is responsible for two minors drinking in their parking lot. Lawsuits like this make me sick.

[/QUOTE]

I'm inclined to agree. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxrockursox. Show soxrockursox's posts

Thats what I dont understand ethier,guessing cause they were under age on thier property and had no tickets so shouldnt have been thier in the first place.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

Maybe they should have taught their daughters to use better judgment .   not sure the circumstances of the crash...  WEre they drinking and crashed their car or did some one crash into them...? I got hammered plenty of times at concerts starting when I was 15.  Nothing ever happened to me or my friends.  Maybe because I was drinking younger I learned to handle it.    2 schools of thought there...lol.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

+1, In a crowd of over 50,000 were they suppose to go to everyone tailgating and ask for ID? Last time I checked if you weren't serving them you have no legal right to ask for ID even if you see them drinking unless you are a cop. Does the suit say there weren't enough cops on scene to police all the tailgaters. 

Lawsuits like this usually favor the victims because of the emotional response for the jurors. The Kraft Group most likely settled because it might have cost them less in terms of both money and bad press. But, it's victories like this that convince others they can sue and settle for anything even if it was their dumb fault to begin with. I wonder how much lawsuits like this end up costing the general public because you know the groups who got sued will get the funds back one way or another and usually by raising prices.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In this society it is always "Someone else is to blame for MY bad decision."  These girls chose to drink and the parents blame the Kraft business for that decision?  Until suits like this do not make it to court, there will always be someone, and a lawyer willing to take the case, who will sue to win at the lottery of lawsuits.

On a secondary note - I could never understand how parents will sue for millions for the death of their child, as tragic as it is, as if that child is monetarily that important to them.  That's where your mind goes - sue for money after your child dies?  How does money resolve such an issue?  Could anyone here walk away from a court case accepting the fact if not for the death of their child and the successul lawsuit, the hundreds of thousands, if not millions of dollars, in your bank account is there because your child died?  I recall reading that some parents claim they will put the money to other uses and not for personal gain... how much of it and how true?  This is not meant to be judgemental, but again, why is money the "painkiller"?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

I blame the ambulance chasing dirtbag lawyers, trying to make a killing over a tradgedy like this. Absolutely no way to police a concert so everyone has tickets or is old enough to drink.

I doubt the parents decided to do this on their own....they were convinced by a lawyer.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

[QUOTE]

I blame the ambulance chasing dirtbag lawyers, trying to make a killing over a tradgedy like this. Absolutely no way to police a concert so everyone has tickets or is old enough to drink.

I doubt the parents decided to do this on their own....they were convinced by a lawyer.

[/QUOTE]

Most likely the truth.  Also, when you see cases like this all over the place, with many having successful outcomes, why not give it a shot and get some for me.  The lawyer is not all so altruistic as doing it for the "benefit" of the grieving parents.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

What a load of garbage this is.The Kraft group isn't anyone's babysitter.Don't get me wrong,the loss of life for these 2 young ladies is terrible,but in no way should the Kraft group be held liable for their poor judgement.Whatever happened to taking responsibility for your own actions?

Maybe I'm wrong,but it would seem to me if these 2 women didn't have tickets to the event,it should be considered trespassing when they were in the parking lot.  

And I agree that this lawsuit was probably due to a lawyer. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

This is BB's fault. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

I kind of expect this same scenario to play out with the AH situation. They will hold back his money for as long as they can. Then there will be an out of court settlement and AH's lawyers will get what they settle for.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

No comment.  I couldn't imagine losing a child.  Might make people do crazy things.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

These women were old enough to get married or join the military with out their parents consent.  They were old enough to come and go as they please without parental controls.

But the Kraft group was responsible because the women chose to drink and drive?  

Kraft's kids drinking in a parking lot and driving?  

The women were responsible for themselves.  It's sad for the family but Kraft is only guilty of having deep pockets.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

No comment.  I couldn't imagine losing a child.  Might make people do crazy things.

[/QUOTE]

No debate there. 

What the underlying issue is parents who decide to sue someone when their child dies, blaming that party for the actions of the child or should have prevented the child for doing what they did. As Bostate says....  go after deep pockets and hope to get some $$$$.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to Harvey-Wallbanger's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Agreed. An outrage.   Maybe the parents should have known where their kids were.

[/QUOTE]

Certainly not saying I agree with this lawsuit, but I'm pretty sure my parents didn't know where I was all the time at 19 and 20 years old.  I'm not going to blame the parents at all for what the girls did.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

Companies don't usually self insure liability.  Property, yes.  Liability,no.  The decision to settle would be made by the insurance company.  They have an obligation to pay for Kraft's defense as well as pay any judgement up to policy limits.

The insurance carrier makes the call to settle or defend.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Agreed. An outrage.   Maybe the parents should have known where their kids were.

[/QUOTE]

Certainly not saying I agree with this lawsuit, but I'm pretty sure my parents didn't know where I was all the time at 19 and 20 years old.  I'm not going to blame the parents at all for what the girls did.

[/QUOTE]

Well, the parents shouldn't be suing and deflecting with what was an accident.  That's the point.

Those tickets were likely pretty expensive for a 19 year old. I remember being 19 and struggling to afford a $30 concert ticket on my own, my car insurance, gas, etc.

The parents cannot be dumb enough to send them off to a tailgate knowing there is booze around and then pretedning their kids won't be partaking.

So, if they didn't have tickets, what were they doing there?   They paid to park and to drink.

Maybe the parents didn't know, sure.  But, that's not Kraft's fault. Kraft is more responsible for the accident than the adult (or parents) over the age of 18?

[/QUOTE]

I certainly agree with what you are saying about the lawsuit and I think I have made that clear.  I don't see where Kraft was one bit responsible.  But I certainly wouldn't blame the parents for their children drinking and driving either.  That's all I am saying here. Also, even though I might not agree with the parents filing a lawsuit, I am not going to comment on that.  I would imagine losing a child would be pretty difficult.  Might make you do some things that don't make sense to others people.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Some thoughts about this, since I (unfortunately) have a close friend whose child died.  These are just my opinions based on observing my friend's situation from afar:

1) A personal injury lawyer got involved early and I'm sure the calls the parents got from potential lawyers was more than a few.  The lawyer fees -  if they successfully sue - are staggering, believe up to 1/3 of the settlement. 

2) Even if the parents don't want to sue initially, as part of the grieving process they eventually become more angry and vulnerable. See comment #1, attorneys are persistent and the parents' state of mind and outlook gradually moves toward making something positive out of a tragic situation.  Trust me on this.   

3) A parent involved in a loss like this is in the state of mind to feel like they "need to do something".  I don't blame the parents, they'll never get over their loss and it's not really about the money to them.  It's about justice and, right or wrong, they're going to do something to change the way things happen in Gillette's parking lot.  Those parents don't want to see something like this happen to anyone else's family, and if the Kraft Group implements a system to better police its property that's a win in the eyes of the parents. (Note: I agree with those who say that no matter what, the Krafts can't be responsible for the conduct of every last person on their property.) 

Just my opinion based on having to witness a similar situation.  I severely doubt the money means anything to the parents.  But I'd bet part of the settlement had something to do with changes to Gillette's security policy, whether or not if it will make a difference. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

[QUOTE]

It's a tragedy. I am not trying to blame anyone here, but ask yourself this:

If this accident happened at a camp site or leaving a camp site, would the parents sue? Answer? No.

Bob Kraft as a LOT of money. That's why they sued. It comes off petty and greedy on their part, looking to cast blame.

[/QUOTE]

To be honest, I don't know.  In this day and age it wouldn't surprise me if someone did.  I'm not saying it's right.  All I have been saying all along is I couldn't imagine losing a child.  I don't think the parents are to blame here.  And I am certainly not saying that the Kraft Group is to blame either. 

I could imagine that when parents lose a child I believe they could do or be talked into doing things they normally would never do.   So the filing of the lawsuit does not surprise me at all and once again, I am not saying it is right.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

I don't blame the parents...I don't blame the Krafts.....I don't blame anyone but the lowlife lawyers looking to collect everytime a tragedy takes place. Clearly the only negligence was at the hand of the victims who made the (choice) to drink & drive. How the place that they chose to drink is even relevant is beyond me.

Bottom line is that lawyers like this are pure pond  s c u m

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from provpats. Show provpats's posts

As I understand it thre father is the brother of one of the bulger / flemmi victims Debra Davis  maybe there is some transference as we'll?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

Welcome to MA - the number 1 litigation state in the country.. During a regular football game its not uncommon to have 10,000 people in the parking lots according to a friend of mine who works parking lot details on game days. Interesting part is for a Pats game the majority of parking is on non Kraft owned property - basically all the businesses on route 1. I wonder if Krafts parking fees will increase because of this - game I went to last year was 40.00 to park

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bingobilly. Show bingobilly's posts

Carpetbagger I say!  And, some wonder why the legal and judicial "professions" in the United States are openly labeled as something less than upright.  Obviously, the key ingredient here is Kraft's financial capability and for sure he does not want any more "bad vibes" hanging over his investments.  I wouldn't doubt Kraft is protected to some level for this kind of thing with insurance, although costly in itself.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

[QUOTE]

Most camp sites protect themselves, if not all in this day and age, with "no alcohol" signs on site. That's for a reason.

They could sue, but they'd be wasting their money.

People need to be responsible for themselves.  It's a sad, sad situation, but the parents saying "it's been 5 years" is their own doing.  

[/QUOTE]

I don't know if it has been a while since you have been camping but we try to get out at least a few times every summer and most camping areas allow alcohol. 

I agree with this.. "People need to be responsible for themselves."

Sections
Shortcuts