Karft Group settles in lawsuit

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: Karft Group settles in lawsuit

If you're going to have a party, you are responsible for the people at your party.

Anyone who's saying bad things about the parents is a terrible person.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

I'll say it again.  Companies don't self insure liability.  they will self insure property but not liability.

insurance companies pay for the defense and pay the damages.

the insurance company makes the call to settle.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If you're going to have a party, you are responsible for the people at your party.

[/QUOTE]

I agree whole heartedly regarding your statement about the parents. No parent should ever have to carry that burden around with them.

Loss of any life is tragic regardless of the circumstances.

In regards to your statement I don't beleive they had tickets to the event which means they didn't have an invite to the "party". Putting it in your terms they were crashing the "party" and should not have been there.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to CablesWyndBairn's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Some thoughts about this, since I (unfortunately) have a close friend whose child died.  These are just my opinions based on observing my friend's situation from afar:

1) A personal injury lawyer got involved early and I'm sure the calls the parents got from potential lawyers was more than a few.  The lawyer fees -  if they successfully sue - are staggering, believe up to 1/3 of the settlement. 

2) Even if the parents don't want to sue initially, as part of the grieving process they eventually become more angry and vulnerable. See comment #1, attorneys are persistent and the parents' state of mind and outlook gradually moves toward making something positive out of a tragic situation.  Trust me on this.   

3) A parent involved in a loss like this is in the state of mind to feel like they "need to do something".  I don't blame the parents, they'll never get over their loss and it's not really about the money to them.  It's about justice and, right or wrong, they're going to do something to change the way things happen in Gillette's parking lot.  Those parents don't want to see something like this happen to anyone else's family, and if the Kraft Group implements a system to better police its property that's a win in the eyes of the parents. (Note: I agree with those who say that no matter what, the Krafts can't be responsible for the conduct of every last person on their property.) 

Just my opinion based on having to witness a similar situation.  I severely doubt the money means anything to the parents.  But I'd bet part of the settlement had something to do with changes to Gillette's security policy, whether or not if it will make a difference. 

[/QUOTE]

Lawyers in the U.S. are not permitted to solicit accident victims or their relatives. Doesn't mean it doesn't happen from time to time through a friend of a friend or whatever, but the penalties can include disbarment. So more than likely the parents had to make the first call. An exception is if the lawyer had a prior relationship with the parents.

Any sort of pestering as suggested is definitely verboten. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree whole heartedly regarding your statement about the parents. No parent should ever have to carry that burden around with them.

In regards to your statement I don't beleive they had tickets to the event which means they didn't have an invite to the "party". Putting it in your terms they were crashing the "party" and should not have been there.

[/QUOTE]

Then tickets should be checked upon entering the lot.

If I have a party at my house and some underage kids get loaded in my driveway, drive away and die because they're driving drunk, you're damn right I'm on the hook.  "But I didn't invite them" won't stand a lick in court.  

It's my driveway.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to melswitt's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to TFB12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

No comment.  I couldn't imagine losing a child.  Might make people do crazy things.

[/QUOTE]

Have two children...the pain of that kind of loss in completely unimaginable...have a friend who lost an 18 year old daughter to a drunk driver...changed their life forever...a huge piece of them, their own life esence , died that night, not just their childs...it shows permanently...that kind of pain WOULD drive you to lash out...it's sad and wrong, but I understand it...

That being said, like Stalin (or Lenin) commeted, dig a ditch and shoot all the lawyers.....I'm sure they did some talking to the parents at their most vulnerable moments...they are all to blame...not the Krafts.

[/QUOTE]

Very sad!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimmytantric. Show jimmytantric's posts

In response to tanbass' comment:
    [QUOTE]

I fail to see where "The Kraft Group" is responsible for two minors drinking in their parking lot. Lawsuits like this make me sick.

[/QUOTE]

Totally agree--more people looking for someone else to be accountable instead of the ones who should be accoutable--and NEVER trust anyone who wears a SUIT--Politicians, Lawyers, Cops, Insurance and Corporate types, Judges etc --get the point?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

If I have a party at my house and some underage kids get loaded in my driveway, drive away and die because they're driving drunk, you're damn right I'm on the hook.  "But I didn't invite them" won't stand a lick in court.  

It's my driveway.

[/QUOTE]

Really so tell me what sporting event or concert checks tickets going into the lot? Sorry it doesn't work.  Like a said it was tragic but not the fault of the Kaft's or anyone else.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

It's my driveway.

[/QUOTE]

This argument would have been the basis for the case, I believe.  Personally, I believe the girls are responsible for their own actions, but I can see an argument being made that the Kraft Group has some responsibility to monitor what happens on their own property, particularly if they know there is significant drinking occurring.  I could also see an argument that they are, in part, responsible for creating an environment in which underage and/or excessive drinking is likely to occur and therefore have some responsibility to try to prevent that behaviour as well as some liability for any negative consequences. I wonder if a case like this (even though settled) will have any impact on how the NFL treats tailgating.  Could you see a greater police presence in the parking lots prior to games to discourage underage drinking or driving while intoxicated? 

Again, I personally don't feel the Kraft Group is negligent, but the case does raise a few liability issues that I'm sure the NFL (and maybe even colleges) have to consider. 

Addendum: Found this through a Google search--it's a peer-reviewed article on risk management for those who sponsor events where tailgating occurs. An interesting perspective on the issues involved:

http://www.hrsm.sc.edu/JVEM/Vol2No2/Article2Tailgating.pdf

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]

Really so tell me what sporting event or concert checks tickets going into the lot? Sorry it doesn't work.  Like a said it was tragic but not the fault of the Kaft's or anyone else.

[/QUOTE]

Great Woods

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Great Woods

[/QUOTE]

That is the gate itself to an outside Amphitheater. Most arenas and stadiums that host sporting events and concerts do not require a ticket to get into the lot. The only time you need a ticket to get into a lot is if you are a clubseat/special box seat ticket holder where the ticket comes with special parking priviliges.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

You said name a place so I did.

Every lot has a gate.  It where, you know you pay.

Let this one go.  Fight elsewhere.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

[QUOTE]

You said name a place so I did.

Every lot has a gate.  It where, you know you pay.

Let this one go.  Fight elsewhere.

[/QUOTE]

every lot has a gate and it is where you pay we are in agreement. They don't ask for your ticket unless you are in a special parking area and they only ask for 1 ticket not everyone in the car.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]

every lot has a gate and it is where you pay we are in agreement. They don't ask for your ticket unless you are in a special parking area and they only ask for 1 ticket not everyone in the car.

[/QUOTE]

They could ask to see the tickets for everyone in the car.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

I wonder, did the parents sue the parties responsible for SERVING the beer to their daughters or did they simply go after the deep pockets of the Kraft business which only owned the property on which the event was held by a 3rd party?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to agcsbill's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I wonder, did the parents sue the parties responsible for SERVING the beer to their daughters or did they simply go after the deep pockets of the Kraft business which only owned the property on which the event was held by a 3rd party?

[/QUOTE]

Concerts aren't third party events.  The venue puts on the party. The act is the entertainment.

The drinking took place on Kraft's property.  If they're going to have a mad party like this and allow/encourage tailgaiting, they have to enforce the local laws.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Concerts aren't third party events.  The venue puts on the party. The act is the entertainment.

The drinking took place on Kraft's property.  If they're going to have a mad party like this and allow/encourage tailgaiting, they have to enforce the local laws.

[/QUOTE]

The event was called "CountryFest" which was held on Kraft property.  Wouldn't it be the responsibility of the organizers of the event to "police" what is going on, IE - underage drinking?  No different than you renting a hall for your wedding.  Would the owner of the hall be responsible for the acts of the attendees you invited?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]

The event was called "CountryFest" which was held on Kraft property.  Wouldn't it be the responsibility of the organizers of the event to "police" what is going on, IE - underage drinking?  No different than you renting a hall for your wedding.  Would the owner of the hall be responsible for the acts of the attendees you invited?

[/QUOTE]

No.  It's up to the venue to provide security.  The promoters don't handle that stuff.

Renting a hall is different than a concert at a stadium.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

This lawsuit is consistent with existing laws on the books that hold parents liable for underage drinking that occurs in their house even if they don't condone it or know about it.  Now you can choose to disagree with those laws, but this situation doesn't strike me as so different.  It explains why the lawsuit was not thrown out and therefore why Kraft settled (cheaper, less bad PR).

Sections
Shortcuts