KC Chiefs

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Re: KC Chiefs

In Response to Re: KC Chiefs:
    A few of those losses you have to blame on the D.  San Diego in particular, our secondary (what was that guys name, Deltha somethin ...) got lit up.
    Posted by themightypatriotz

SD beat us sound but I think we scored 7 points. Game could play out different if the Pats were scoring as well. A vet QB might have been able to get more 1st downs and help T.O.P. This might have brought a different outcome, but yeah Oneal was burnt toast a few games.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

No, I'm actually Scott Pioli. I obviously think Cassel is terrible since I gave him a huge contract. Obviously I'm an idiot too since I just was attached to Belichick and owe most of my success to him.

I just disagree with the general Brady/Belichick ballwashing. I'm a huge fan of them both (and they both are great), but I'm objective enough to admit Cassel did a good job. The defense was ranked 11th that year? They did so well they fired their d coordinator after the season. Are you seriously saying that defense was good? Are you basing it on yards or scoring? Because anyone with two eyes and a brain (or anyone who had to watch Delta O'Neal cover anybody) saw that the D that year was lackluster.

You bring up some stats, but how did the offense play in the fourth quarter of games last year? How about two years ago? Which team played better in the fourth quarter? Take away the Buffalo game and the offense straight up choked last year. I can't say the same about '08. Cassel was a baller in those incredibly important games against Miami and the Jets, but I guess that was coaching. That fourth down pass to Moss was only pedestrian. How many good teams did the Pats beat last season? 

You just watch, time will tell and Cassel will be known as a good QB.

In Response to Re: KC Chiefs : Matt Cassel threw zero tds 6 times in 2008. He threw 1 td 5 times. So 11 out of 16 games he threw 1 or fewer tds. So yes I think my point is valid about having a veteran QB to throw the ball to Moss/Welker and co. Cassel lost 5 games to the only 5 good teams we played that year. The easiest schedule maybe ever is what people called it before and after the season. I have nothing against Cassel and he played good ball control offense....and that was the problem. We had to play ball control offense even though we had the best wr tandem in the NFL. This is my main point. We could have opened up the offense a lot earlier then we did and probably could have won a few more games. Who is crazier here? The guy who says BB and great team were more responsible for the 11-5 outcome or the guy who says Matt Cassel is responsible, a guy who had never started before and threw ZERO TDS 6 TIMES and 1 td 4 other times???? Then followed that up by almost leading the league in sacks AGIAIN and throwing 16tds to 16 INTS in 2009! Also that defense that you say was so terrible was #11 ranked D in the league. They were 2nd in 3 and outs in the NFL. So I guess they were not too bad. Are you Cassel's cousin or something?
    Posted by TrueChamp

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolltide1963. Show rolltide1963's posts

The Chiefs are putting all the pieces in place:

Excellent talent in the coaching ranks.  We in NE can not argue against the Pedigree - ready to provide schematic advantages.

abundance of developing young talent

The Royals ?  what else do the people of Kansas City have to get wild and crazy about ?

They are a team with a bright future.  They may not be a strong team today, but let us check back in come 2012 at this time.  My guess, this is a whole different conversation.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

Cassel was absolutely brutal in those games. I remember the play where Cassel panicked on a goal line play and just ran into the line of scrimmage instead of hitting an open pats player in the end zone. He was awful early on. Belichick was quoted several times about how much Cassel improved as the season grew, and I truly believe Cassel was a very good QB by the end of the year. Passing for 400 yards two games in a row is remarkable. Not even Brady did this, but it's easy for people to crap on his accomplishments because he was a backup as USC? That's just lame. Money talks, and Pioli is a pretty smart football guy who went all in with Cassel.

And that game against the Colts was a tremendous game for Cassel and the team. Your whole argument about them not winning against a good team (which actually works for last years team post Cassel) would've gone out the window without a dropped touchdown on a perfectly thrown DEEP ball or a personal foul by David Thomas. I saw a QB in that game that performed well in the big games.

In Response to Re: KC Chiefs : SD beat us sound but I think we scored 7 points. Game could play out different if the Pats were scoring as well. A vet QB might have been able to get more 1st downs and help T.O.P. This might have brought a different outcome, but yeah Oneal was burnt toast a few games.
    Posted by TrueChamp

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolltide1963. Show rolltide1963's posts

In Response to Re: KC Chiefs : Matt Cassel threw zero tds 6 times in 2008. He threw 1 td 5 times. So 11 out of 16 games he threw 1 or fewer tds. So yes I think my point is valid about having a veteran QB to throw the ball to Moss/Welker and co. Cassel lost 5 games to the only 5 good teams we played that year. The easiest schedule maybe ever is what people called it before and after the season. I have nothing against Cassel and he played good ball control offense....and that was the problem. We had to play ball control offense even though we had the best wr tandem in the NFL. This is my main point. We could have opened up the offense a lot earlier then we did and probably could have won a few more games. Who is crazier here? The guy who says BB and great team were more responsible for the 11-5 outcome or the guy who says Matt Cassel is responsible, a guy who had never started before and threw ZERO TDS 6 TIMES and 1 td 4 other times???? Then followed that up by almost leading the league in sacks AGIAIN and throwing 16tds to 16 INTS in 2009! Also that defense that you say was so terrible was #11 ranked D in the league. They were 2nd in 3 and outs in the NFL. So I guess they were not too bad. Are you Cassel's cousin or something?
    Posted by TrueChamp

This will be the year to truly evaluate Cassel in KC.

Last years team in KC was a rudderless ship.  The whole Larry Johnson debacle.  Bowe and his suspension.  A woeful defense that generally had the chiefs behind the 8-ball before the 2nd quarter was more than 2 minutes old.  None of that helped Cassel a new QB on a team with a New Head coach and new direction.  

No one will ever confuse Cassel with the greats in the NFL, but let us see what this year brings.  His performance will be a lot closer to his final season in NE than they were to his inaugeral with the Chiefs.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

I could also be Josh McDaniels, who also liked Cassel a ton and was willing to basically trade away Cutler to get him. He must be an idiot too (along with Pioli) since Cassel clearly is no good in your opinion. 

You know what, let's agree to disagree. I'll take Cassel, and you can take that defense that started Delta O'Neal and Ellis Hobbs at CB and Junior Seau and ILB. 

Posted by TrueChamp

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Cassel was absolutely brutal in those games. I remember the play where Cassel panicked on a goal line play and just ran into the line of scrimmage instead of hitting an open pats player in the end zone. He was awful early on. Belichick was quoted several times about how much Cassel improved as the season grew, and I truly believe Cassel was a very good QB by the end of the year. Passing for 400 yards two games in a row is remarkable. Not even Brady did this, but it's easy for people to crap on his accomplishments because he was a backup as USC? That's just lame. Money talks, and Pioli is a pretty smart football guy who went all in with Cassel. And that game against the Colts was a tremendous game for Cassel and the team. Your whole argument about them not winning against a good team (which actually works for last years team post Cassel) would've gone out the window without a dropped touchdown on a perfectly thrown DEEP ball or a personal foul by David Thomas. I saw a QB in that game that performed well in the big games. In Response to Re: KC Chiefs :
    Posted by Rockdog1293000

That's funny because the Colts game I saw was one where that terrible defense you keep mentioning held the best offense in the league to 18 points in their own stadium. A game where the Pats had to kick 5 FG's to stay in the game. It would have been nice if this game wasn't one of Matt's 6 Goose egg td games, that Thomas penalty wouldn't have mattered much then huh? Maybe an NFL vet with some live game experience could have lofted one into Moss?

Like I said before I am not tearing down Cassel but I think it was a big gamble on Pioli's part to pay him that much coin when a lot of his results can be based on playing with what was the best offense in the history of the game. This is something that is hard for you to debate. He was handed the best offense in NFL history and he threw 1 or fewer tds in 10 games with the easiest schedule in the league.

So I ask you this. Do you honestly believe that if the Patriots had a seasoned NFL veteran QB then they would have been worst off in 2008? Say a guy who could have expanded on 6 games of zero tds. If you answer yes then you must be Cassel's next door neighbor or something.

Good Luck with your Chiefs this year, I honestly wish Charlie,Romeo and Mr. Pioli the best of luck....as long as they don't beat us in the playoffs I'm happy.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

I agree with the last part about hoping the Pats all the best, but you can't even compare the '07 offense at the beginning of the season to the '07 offense at the end of the year. How many points did 'the greatest offense ever' score in the superbowl? That best offense ever sure tore up San Diego in the AFC championship. I would argue that the league caught up with the spread and that '07 was not replicable anyway (which is what the entire team said in training camp in '08).

Again, Josh Freakin McDaniels basically ruined his relationship with Jay Cutler to get Cassel. Scott Pioli gave Cassel a huge contract. These guys aren't idiots. I'm sure if Belichick didn't have Brady, then Cassel would've been locked up here long-term. 

In Response to Re: KC Chiefs : That's funny because the Colts game I saw was one where that terrible defense you keep mentioning held the best offense in the league to 18 points in their own stadium. A game where the Pats had to kick 5 FG's to stay in the game. It would have been nice if this game wasn't one of Matt's 6 Goose egg td games, that Thomas penalty wouldn't have mattered much then huh? Maybe an NFL vet with some live game experience could have lofted one into Moss? Like I said before I am not tearing down Cassel but I think it was a big gamble on Pioli's part to pay him that much coin when a lot of his results can be based on playing with what was the best offense in the history of the game. This is something that is hard for you to debate. He was handed the best offense in NFL history and he threw 1 or fewer tds in 10 games with the easiest schedule in the league. So I ask you this. Do you honestly believe that if the Patriots had a seasoned NFL veteran QB then they would have been worst off in 2008? Say a guy who could have expanded on 6 games of zero tds. If you answer yes then you must be Cassel's next door neighbor or something. Good Luck with your Chiefs this year, I honestly wish Charlie,Romeo and Mr. Pioli the best of luck....as long as they don't beat us in the playoffs I'm happy.
    Posted by TrueChamp

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmbill. Show gmbill's posts

In Response to KC Chiefs:
    Does anyone want to discuss the Chiefs?  It should be interesting to see how Charlie Weis does in his first year as OC.  The Chiefs put up a decent number of points last year with 294.  Thier problem was giving up 424 on defense.  But thier defense should be alot better with DE Tyson Jackson and DT Alex Magee entering thier 2nd year and S Eric Berry and CB Javier Arenas adding to the mix.  They also have DE Glen Dorsey to make thier front 3 one of the best in the NFL. Thier offense looks pretty good as well with QB Cassell coming back for his 2nd year with the Chiefs.  The backfield has two newcomers with RB Jones arriving via FA and small but versitile rookie RB McCluster.  This team seems well rounded from top to bottom and might surprise alot of teams in the AFC West.  But my true interest lies with the Raiders losing to every one of thier division rivals and although the Playoffs may be too much to ask for KC this season, all I'm hoping for is for the Chiefs to win both games vs Oakland.
    Posted by PatsFanGermany

I will say this about the Chiefs: Great stadium and fans, fun place to see a game. I met Lamar Hunt a few times over his other team, the Columbus Crew. He was a class act and love his Chiefs.

That said the do not have a very strong team. Castle is a good guy but his best year was with the Patriots.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmbill. Show gmbill's posts

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

I agree with the last part about hoping the Pats all the best, but you can't even compare the '07 offense at the beginning of the season to the '07 offense at the end of the year. How many points did 'the greatest offense ever' score in the superbowl? That best offense ever sure tore up San Diego in the AFC championship. I would argue that the league caught up with the spread and that '07 was not replicable anyway (which is what the entire team said in training camp in '08). Again, Josh Freakin McDaniels basically ruined his relationship with Jay Cutler to get Cassel. Scott Pioli gave Cassel a huge contract. These guys aren't idiots. I'm sure if Belichick didn't have Brady, then Cassel would've been locked up here long-term.  In Response to Re: KC Chiefs :
    Posted by Rockdog1293000

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Saw most of the Chiefs games last year since that's all they show on CBS here. They will get better once they get a line that can protect and WRs that can catch the ball. They already have a good RB. The defense needs alot of help. The fact they are becomeing stacked with old new england coaches and have Piloli means they will be trying to blueprint off the Patriots which isn't a bad thing.

I don't think haley is the right coach for them though. If he falters this year, they'll go after Cowher

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TroyBrown80. Show TroyBrown80's posts

Posted by TrueChamp
    He had 21 TD's, 11 Int's, for an 89.3 comp percentage, 47 sacks.  
    Look at the jets game.  He did his job, put up 400 yards and 3 tds.  I didn't say he was perfect, but he was good, for a first year start.  Looked alot like Brady in his first year starting.  Was he God?  No.  Can he win?  I think so.  And I think a decent OC and DC in KC will mean wins.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In Response to Re: KC Chiefs : He had 21 TD's, 11 Int's, for an 89.3 comp percentage, 47 sacks.   Look at the jets game.  He did his job, put up 400 yards and 3 tds.  I didn't say he was perfect, but he was good, for a first year start.  Looked alot like Brady in his first year starting.  Was he God?  No.  Can he win?  I think so.  And I think a decent OC and DC in KC will mean wins.  
    Posted by TroyBrown80

Again none of what I said is to tear down the job Cassel did. Going into 2008 I as well as most fans wanted a Vet back up QB. It only made sense in case the un- thinkable happened and it did. Yes Cassel became a "Game manager" and had a few games where he finally started opening up the offense in the last 1/2 of the year...But I think with that schedule and offensive weapons a good Vet could have led us to more 1st downs more tds and more wins.

I'm not sure where Rockdog( apologize if wrong name) is coming from with the"I guess Mcdaniels is an idiot too" and Pioli is an idiot. I never said that and have not insinuated that. However I do still think 50 million was too much to give Cassel. The quality of the Pats offense coupled with the lack of strong opponents on the schedule played a major role in Cassel's production. He has potential going forward for the years he put in with the Pats system and getting valuable experience in live game action. With Weiss as his OC I think he will get better.

Finally with all that said....The Pats go to the playoffs if we had a solid Vet instead of Cassel in 2008!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

Ok, let's go into specifics then. You think the Pats make the playoffs and go at least 12-4 in '08? I think that's just crazy, as the '08 team was just not the '07 team. '07 was just not going to happen again. The eagles and ravens formed a blue-print on how to beat the Pats, and this showed in the playoffs for the '07 team.

Specifically, what veteran NFL QB would've been an improvement over Cassel? Vinny Testaverde? Doug Flutie? Does the fact that Belichick decided not to go after a QB after Brady was hurt influence your thinking in any way? I just think you're selling Cassel way short here.

Again, it doesn't really matter as I don't care how the Chiefs do. I just think Cassel deserves some respect after what he did in his last year in NE.

In Response to Re: KC Chiefs : Again none of what I said is to tear down the job Cassel did. Going into 2008 I as well as most fans wanted a Vet back up QB. It only made sense in case the un- thinkable happened and it did. Yes Cassel became a "Game manager" and had a few games where he finally started opening up the offense in the last 1/2 of the year...But I think with that schedule and offensive weapons a good Vet could have led us to more 1st downs more tds and more wins. I'm not sure where Rockdog( apologize if wrong name) is coming from with the"I guess Mcdaniels is an idiot too" and Pioli is an idiot. I never said that and have not insinuated that. However I do still think 50 million was too much to give Cassel. The quality of the Pats offense coupled with the lack of strong opponents on the schedule played a major role in Cassel's production. He has potential going forward for the years he put in with the Pats system and getting valuable experience in live game action. With Weiss as his OC I think he will get better. Finally with all that said....The Pats go to the playoffs if we had a solid Vet instead of Cassel in 2008!
    Posted by TrueChamp

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Ok, let's go into specifics then. You think the Pats make the playoffs and go at least 12-4 in '08? I think that's just crazy, as the '08 team was just not the '07 team. '07 was just not going to happen again. The eagles and ravens formed a blue-print on how to beat the Pats, and this showed in the playoffs for the '07 team. Specifically, what veteran NFL QB would've been an improvement over Cassel? Vinny Testaverde? Doug Flutie? Does the fact that Belichick decided not to go after a QB after Brady was hurt influence your thinking in any way? I just think you're selling Cassel way short here. Again, it doesn't really matter as I don't care how the Chiefs do. I just think Cassel deserves some respect after what he did in his last year in NE. In Response to Re: KC Chiefs :
    Posted by Rockdog1293000

So in your line of reasoning the Pats had to be "07" in order to win 1 more game and make the post season in 08?   You do not think that a veteran QB with live game experience could have expanded on 6 ZERO td games? I have said the entire time that Cassel played well as he learned but a vet would not have had that learning curve and been able to open up the offense and play book. I do not understand how you can call this statement "Crazy".

If Belichick was going to go after a QB it would have to have been in the off season which is what I and lots of fans wanted before 2008. As much as I think BB is the greatest coach in NFL history I also think he makes mistakes( As every man does). I think not having a veteran QB in 08 is one of them. I think not having a vet QB this year is another. I think losing Asante Samuel with no CB to replace was another, and the worst mistake so far was to go into 2006 with Reche Caldwell as the #1 wr. You give Brady 1 reliable offensive weapon that year and I think we have our 4rth Super Bowl!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TroyBrown80. Show TroyBrown80's posts

KC is now trailing Atlanta 0-3 deep into the 2nd quarter.  Cassel looked fair, a bit spooked.  Biggest thing i saw (jamal charles is a monster) about it is Charlie Weis playcalling with the screens, misdirections and whatnot.  Very Weislike.  I miss the guy.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TroyBrown80. Show TroyBrown80's posts

They need to do some work, for sure.  but they have some playmakers, and also the defense looks solid.  Cassel still has to run for his life though, that needs fixing

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsFanGermany. Show PatsFanGermany's posts

In Response to KC Chiefs : Sorry, not feelin' your enthusiasm for KC. Better coaching will help. That team will be 7-9 at best.
    Posted by jbolted

They are looking pretty good so far this season.  Their D is holding up well and Cassell threw 3 TDs against the 49ers so far.  They will have a Bye week and then play the Colts.  If they beat the Colts, they are an easy lock for the playoffs.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

In Response to Re: KC Chiefs : They are looking pretty good so far this season.  Their D is holding up well and Cassell threw 3 TDs against the 49ers so far.  They will have a Bye week and then play the Colts.  If they beat the Colts, they are an easy lock for the playoffs.
    Posted by PatsFanGermany

Wish we had their D...or at least their D coordinator.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In Response to Re: KC Chiefs : They are looking pretty good so far this season.  Their D is holding up well and Cassell threw 3 TDs against the 49ers so far.  They will have a Bye week and then play the Colts.  If they beat the Colts, they are an easy lock for the playoffs.
    Posted by PatsFanGermany

was keeping an eye on this game. they looked pretty good. maybe it pays to hire ex-new england coordinators

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsFanGermany. Show PatsFanGermany's posts

In Response to KC Chiefs : Sorry, not feelin' your enthusiasm for KC. Better coaching will help. That team will be 7-9 at best.
    Posted by jbolted

Hey Jbolted, are you still around?  

I'm loving this prediction of yours.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ReeGzUSMC. Show ReeGzUSMC's posts

In Response to Re: KC Chiefs : Hey Jbolted, are you still around?   I'm loving this prediction of yours.
    Posted by PatsFanGermany

LOL HAHAHAHA That toolbag is closed for season like an Ice Cream Parlor. How's SD???? I'm glad I don't have to see anymore " I am Scared to play SD in the playoffs " threads this season...SD Is the Best team that NEVER was....Rivers can have his cute numbers, but where does that get him EVERY year?? an impressive month of December which misleads SD fans, and ESPN reporters, and well...we all know how they make out in January each year...Best part is: We didn't even have to wait until January this year!! YAY!!! :)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

Are you willing to give Cassel some credit now?

The '08 teams had Deltha O'Neill and Ellis Hobbs at CB. The last 4 games they had Junior Seau and Rosie Colvin starting at LB. That's not a 12 win team with any QB. Any veteran QB does not win that game in Miami or that game in Seattle. 

In Response to Re: KC Chiefs : So in your line of reasoning the Pats had to be "07" in order to win 1 more game and make the post season in 08?   You do not think that a veteran QB with live game experience could have expanded on 6 ZERO td games? I have said the entire time that Cassel played well as he learned but a vet would not have had that learning curve and been able to open up the offense and play book. I do not understand how you can call this statement "Crazy". If Belichick was going to go after a QB it would have to have been in the off season which is what I and lots of fans wanted before 2008. As much as I think BB is the greatest coach in NFL history I also think he makes mistakes( As every man does). I think not having a veteran QB in 08 is one of them. I think not having a vet QB this year is another. I think losing Asante Samuel with no CB to replace was another, and the worst mistake so far was to go into 2006 with Reche Caldwell as the #1 wr. You give Brady 1 reliable offensive weapon that year and I think we have our 4rth Super Bowl!
    Posted by TrueChamp

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

Who's the solid vet who would bring the pats to the playoffs? Just wondering...

In Response to Re: KC Chiefs : Again none of what I said is to tear down the job Cassel did. Going into 2008 I as well as most fans wanted a Vet back up QB. It only made sense in case the un- thinkable happened and it did. Yes Cassel became a "Game manager" and had a few games where he finally started opening up the offense in the last 1/2 of the year...But I think with that schedule and offensive weapons a good Vet could have led us to more 1st downs more tds and more wins. I'm not sure where Rockdog( apologize if wrong name) is coming from with the"I guess Mcdaniels is an idiot too" and Pioli is an idiot. I never said that and have not insinuated that. However I do still think 50 million was too much to give Cassel. The quality of the Pats offense coupled with the lack of strong opponents on the schedule played a major role in Cassel's production. He has potential going forward for the years he put in with the Pats system and getting valuable experience in live game action. With Weiss as his OC I think he will get better. Finally with all that said....The Pats go to the playoffs if we had a solid Vet instead of Cassel in 2008!
    Posted by TrueChamp

Sections
Shortcuts