Keenan Allen vs Dobson , Boyce !!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yakv. Show yakv's posts

Keenan Allen vs Dobson , Boyce !!!

BB as usual traded down instead of trying to draft a WR or talent player in the first round 

instead we ended up drafting Donson and boyce and signed thompkins as UFA.

had BB tried to get cordarrelle patterson or terrance williams or even allen , but instead we went for boyce and dobson.

the bottom line is that keenan allen looks like the steal of the draft

posting 71 receptions

for 1046 yards 

with 8TD 

compared to dobson: 36 receptions 

513 yards 

3TD 

Boyce : 9 receptions

121 yards 

even if we add thompkins to the equation :

31 receptions 

450 yards 

4TD 

we get that keenan allen produced as out 3 rookies WR , thats not good.

dobson hasnt shown me the ability to create seperation or the ability to fight for balls as a red zone target 

boyce had a non existent year , thompkins was a good surprise but still isnt the guy to go to.

i think we should draft another WR but this time the scouting deperatment has to do a good job after years a failures drafting a WR .

we all had high hopes for taylor price or chad johnson, brandon tate  and you know how that turned out .

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

Re: Keenan Allen vs Dobson , Boyce !!!

if you think Dobson hasnt shown the ability to seperate you havent been watching. Dobson is a good WR and will surpass Keenan Allen. What you failed to mention is that we not only got Dobson, but we also got Boyce Ryan and Legarret Blount in the pikcs we recieved for #1. So would you rather have Keenan Allen or Dobson, Logan Ryan, Boyce and Blount? Personally I thought Ryan had a great season. Also checking your own math above when you said Allen outperformed all 3 of our WR's; Allen = 71 catches for 1046 yards. Our 3 WR's = 76 catches for 1084 yards. Personally it bothered me much more to see DL Kendall Reyes out there playing well for the Chargers while Tavon Wilson sat on our bench!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

How about strengthening our OL so the WRs have time to run their routes?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from yakv. Show yakv's posts

In response to Quagmire3's comment:

if you think Dobson hasnt shown the ability to seperate you havent been watching. Dobson is a good WR and will surpass Keenan Allen. What you failed to mention is that we not only got Dobson, but we also got Boyce Ryan and Legarret Blount in the pikcs we recieved for #1. So would you rather have Keenan Allen or Dobson, Logan Ryan, Boyce and Blount? Personally I thought Ryan had a great season. Also checking your own math above when you said Allen outperformed all 3 of our WR's; Allen = 71 catches for 1046 yards. Our 3 WR's = 76 catches for 1084 yards. Personally it bothered me much more to see DL Kendall Reyes out there playing well for the Chargers while Tavon Wilson sat on our bench!

dobson has shown flashes , but he had too many drops and he has been injured all season , and i cant remeber one catch where i said wow he beat out a cb on a contested ball , maybe didnt utilize him the right way i dont know but he hasnt been there for tom brady as a reliable target .

boyce had a redshirt year , thompkins like i said had a surprising year but i watched keenan allen he had a good qb like rivers throwing to him but he made plays great catches and fought to get into the red zone , i think his upside is much higher than all the pats WR

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from yakv. Show yakv's posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycartZndL8o

great highlights

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Not sure who will better between Allen and Dobson honestly. Pre draft I really liked Allen and thought he had higher upside then Dobson. One knock on Dobson was that he had issues fighting for balls and gaining seperation for a guy his size. Though, everyone raved about his hands it never sat right with me how he caught with his body and not his fingers and thought that could be an issue (as it was). Now don't get me wrong about Dobson, I think his ceiling is a top end #2 low end #1 WR and he has shown flashes of great plays but he needs some more development for sure and needs to add consistency to his game. As of right now Allen is the much better receiver and Dobson is playing catch up.

As far as the trading back portion look at that trade again and the players you mentioned. It wasn't actually Dobson but it was Collins, Ryan, Boyce, and the 7th that later got traded for Blount. Now I actually had them picking Collins in the 3rd and do think they could have had either Collins with the 59th pick (the one they took for Dobson). Then in the 3rd they took Ryan at #83 and Harmon at #91. 8 picks seperation with only Webster the only CB going between them (Webster looked pretty good himself this year too). So there was a high likely hood they could have gotten Ryan with #91 or it wouldn't have cost much to move up and grab him if he was their guy. Now Boyce we wouldn't have gotten but really that extra 7th for Blount, they had 2 other 7's so that wouldn't have been an issue but they wouldn't have gotten both or backend players. So in reality the difference in that trade was Dobson, Boyce, Harmon, and one of those 7th round picks for Allen. Now if Boyce can become a good #3 slot guy then I'd rather have a #2 in Dobson and a #3 in Boyce then Allen just by himself but only because we have nothing else at WR. If Amendola was close to what he was paid for then a true #1 like Allen would be much more valuable. Lets face it Harmon is a backup S, you can find them if you really want one and the 7th's most likely won't make it past camp this year or next. So, in the end the trade boils down to Allen who in his rook year was a 1000+yrd #1 WR or Dobson and Boyce who both need to develop before we even know what we have. This trade might go down as a bad one in the end esp considering Patterson looks like the real deal too towards the end of the season.

Btw I was a big Reyes guy too and the T. Wilson pick killed me. I also really loved Wilkerson (who's playing great for the Jets right now), but we traded away from grabbing him and ended up with Ras I hurtling.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

+1

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Not sure who will better between Allen and Dobson honestly. Pre draft I really liked Allen and thought he had higher upside then Dobson. One knock on Dobson was that he had issues fighting for balls and gaining seperation for a guy his size. Though, everyone raved about his hands it never sat right with me how he caught with his body and not his fingers and thought that could be an issue (as it was). Now don't get me wrong about Dobson, I think his ceiling is a top end #2 low end #1 WR and he has shown flashes of great plays but he needs some more development for sure and needs to add consistency to his game. As of right now Allen is the much better receiver and Dobson is playing catch up.

As far as the trading back portion look at that trade again and the players you mentioned. It wasn't actually Dobson but it was Collins, Ryan, Boyce, and the 7th that later got traded for Blount. Now I actually had them picking Collins in the 3rd and do think they could have had either Collins with the 59th pick (the one they took for Dobson). Then in the 3rd they took Ryan at #83 and Harmon at #91. 8 picks seperation with only Webster the only CB going between them (Webster looked pretty good himself this year too). So there was a high likely hood they could have gotten Ryan with #91 or it wouldn't have cost much to move up and grab him if he was their guy. Now Boyce we wouldn't have gotten but really that extra 7th for Blount, they had 2 other 7's so that wouldn't have been an issue but they wouldn't have gotten both or backend players. So in reality the difference in that trade was Dobson, Boyce, Harmon, and one of those 7th round picks for Allen. Now if Boyce can become a good #3 slot guy then I'd rather have a #2 in Dobson and a #3 in Boyce then Allen just by himself but only because we have nothing else at WR. If Amendola was close to what he was paid for then a true #1 like Allen would be much more valuable. Lets face it Harmon is a backup S, you can find them if you really want one and the 7th's most likely won't make it past camp this year or next. So, in the end the trade boils down to Allen who in his rook year was a 1000+yrd #1 WR or Dobson and Boyce who both need to develop before we even know what we have. This trade might go down as a bad one in the end esp considering Patterson looks like the real deal too towards the end of the season.

[/QUOTE]

If you consider what they have to perhaps dish out for Edelman this year, I see Boyce as a backup plan for possibly a healthy Edelman contract. Now did bb know at the time he drafted Boyce that Edelman would have a breakout year? Probably not otherwise he would have locked him up long term. However, Boyce if he progresses should be able to fill in for Edelman assuming we have some other decent weapons around him. So I am not saying Boyce will record 100+ receptions, but he should be able to pick up 50 or so in this offense others things being equal. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Btw I was a big Reyes guy too and the T. Wilson pick killed me. I also really loved Wilkerson (who's playing great for the Jets right now), but we traded away from grabbing him and ended up with Ras I hurtling.

[/QUOTE]

Definitely some snafus with Wilson and dowling picks. I remember a lot of us on MB's draft post liking Reyes and Wilkerson. Both would have made a formidable line with or without VW, and would have provided significant leverage on the vw situation in terms of getting him to restructure or just outright letting him walk. I can imagine a 3-4 with Reyes, Wilkerson at ends, and siliga or vw in the middle...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If you consider what they have to perhaps dish out for Edelman this year, I see Boyce as a backup plan for possibly a healthy Edelman contract. Now did bb know at the time he drafted Boyce that Edelman would have a breakout year? Probably not otherwise he would have locked him up long term. However, Boyce if he progresses should be able to fill in for Edelman assuming we have some other decent weapons around him. So I am not saying Boyce will record 100+ receptions, but he should be able to pick up 50 or so in this offense others things being equal. 

[/QUOTE]

I can see that too, but Boyce is still and unknown right now. He flashed for the breif time he was on the field but so many inactives have me really concerned he's not picking up the game. I agree that I did see Boyce eventually taking over the inside slot WR role after a year, now I'm not so sure and with Edelman pending a bigger contract there is a chance they let Edelman walk and Boyce will have to step up into a much larger role when so far he hasn't shown able to step up yet even when healthy. But yes I understand the pick itself. I do wonder though, an early 4th if they really wanted Boyce how much would it have taken to trade up to get him if they didn't have that 4th? This years 3rd maybe? If so, given our track record with 3rds would you say Allen/Patterson, Collins, Ryan, Boyce, and one of the 7ths with Blount but giving up this years 3rd would have been better or worse then what we ended up with right now?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I can see that too, but Boyce is still and unknown right now. He flashed for the breif time he was on the field but so many inactives have me really concerned he's not picking up the game. I agree that I did see Boyce eventually taking over the inside slot WR role after a year, now I'm not so sure and with Edelman pending a bigger contract there is a chance they let Edelman walk and Boyce will have to step up into a much larger role when so far he hasn't shown able to step up yet even when healthy. But yes I understand the pick itself. I do wonder though, an early 4th if they really wanted Boyce how much would it have taken to trade up to get him if they didn't have that 4th? This years 3rd maybe? If so, given our track record with 3rds would you say Allen/Patterson, Collins, Ryan, Boyce, and one of the 7ths with Blount but giving up this years 3rd would have been better or worse then what we ended up with right now?

[/QUOTE]

Good points, they also have TJ Moe stashed unless I missed something? 

Given the choice, I would have rather cashed in a 3rd this year for Allen and the rest. I would have also preferred cashing in a 3rd last year for sanders And NOT using big money to get amendola. to me that is the crime of the century. would have preferred sanders over amendola in a second and he could have been had for half of amendolas salary, freeing up valuable money to sign edelman or a decent cb..talib or other.   

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Given the unknowns with the rookie wr's, and adding amendolas lack of production on top of it, I don't see how bb could not sign Edelman or another vet. That is way too much risk to put on your passing game. Can you imagine a receiving corps of Dobson, amendola, boyce, thompkins? Ouch. Bb is in a very tough position with Edelman. Edelman has all the leverage. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from yakv. Show yakv's posts

TJ Moe tore his ACL and didnt show too much in training camp boyce has shown us nothing to assume that he might have a 50+ ctaches a year , even taylor price had one big game in the season ender against miami but we know where he has goen , instead of going for talent 

we draft guys like t. wilson , d. harmon where we might have drafted a reciever , or drafting tate ahead of mike wallace none of the young WR have shown.

we need to draft talent in the first round where is the big physical reciever we have been waiting for ???

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to yakv's comment:
    [QUOTE]

TJ Moe tore his ACL and didnt show too much in training camp boyce has shown us nothing to assume that he might have a 50+ ctaches a year , even taylor price had one big game in the season ender against miami but we know hwre ehe has goen , instead of going for talent 

we draft guys like t. wilson , d. harmon where we might have drafted a reciever , or drafting tate ahead of mike wallace none of the young WR have shown.

we need to draft talent in the first round where is the big physical reciever we have been waiting for ???

[/QUOTE]

I think Boyce has shown more than price for sure. Just watching Boyce this year, you can see he has rare athleticism and is dynamic once he gets in the open field.if, big if, he progresses, I don't see why he couldnt catch 50 balls. Heck, would anyone have thought 3-4 years ago Edelman would catch 100? Boyce is ahead of edelmans progress at similar times, Boyce has played WR longer, and is every bit as athletic as Edelman. He's capable.

dobson is supposed to be that big, physical WR you are talking about. He has potential. Question is will he reach it and how long might it take?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from yakv. Show yakv's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to yakv's comment:
    [QUOTE]

TJ Moe tore his ACL and didnt show too much in training camp boyce has shown us nothing to assume that he might have a 50+ ctaches a year , even taylor price had one big game in the season ender against miami but we know hwre ehe has goen , instead of going for talent 

[/QUOTE]

I think Boyce has shown more than price for sure. Just watching Boyce this year, you can see he has rare athleticism and is dynamic once he gets in the open field.if, big if, he progresses, I don't see why he couldnt catch 50 balls. Heck, would anyone have thought 3-4 years ago Edelman would catch 100? Boyce is ahead of edelmans progress at similar times, Boyce has played WR longer, and is every bit as athletic as Edelman. He's capable.

dobson is supposed to be that big, physical WR you are talking about. He has potential. Question is will he reach it and how long might it take?

[/QUOTE]

i have a couple of unanswered questions 

did boyce look like a good route running WR nope , i saw a couple of screens thrown to him and an occasional turn around .

edelan as a rookie in 2009 had a couple of great games and was labeled as a "mini welker" , boyce had his share opf drops but the main thing he didnt gain brady's confidenece and thats a problem .

Dobson didnt show any physical imposing treats in any game that i have watched did he fiight for balls or go one on one against CB , no he caught a lot of passes in the slot and one fluky TD against the jets that was dee milliner fault.

sorry for not feeling quite sold out as you on the WR core 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I am not sold in the least bit on this WR corps. Tons of unanswered questions like you bring up.

I am just saying I see potential in both Dobson and Boyce. It's there. Unpolished as it may be, they can be good #2-3 guys. What we are missing is at imposing #1 presence. If you had a legit #1 and added Dobson and Boyce to that mix, its a good set of receivers. Gronk when healthy is That guy. Uncoverable unless you want to bear hug him in the end zone. Re,ember when Gronk was playing, the offense looked much different. The swing and miss on amendola just complicates matters. Because if Danny played to his contract, then letting Edelman walk would be ok. A receiving corps of Gronk, Dobson, amendola, Boyce, thompkins is pretty good. Thompkins in my mind is a 4-5 guy. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Kenny Stills was the better fit over Boyce.

Marlon Brown was a better free agent than KT. I liked KT early on but he disapperead with the rest of our young guys while a bunch of other rookies played all year and into the playoffs while we put our guys on the inactive list so we could activate Austin  Freeeeeking Collie.....

Keep whistling by the grave yard folks. You will be dead before you see another title

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Dobson = Dropson

Ryan = unknown but looked like garbage against the Broncos

Boyce = waterboy

Blount = Doesn't appear too hard to stop when defenses try

vs

Allen = that kid is awesome

I'll take Allen.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Kenny Stills was the better fit over Boyce.

Marlon Brown was a better free agent than KT. I liked KT early on but he disapperead with the rest of our young guys while a bunch of other rookies played all year and into the playoffs while we put our guys on the inactive list so we could activate Austin  Freeeeeking Collie.....

Keep whistling by the grave yard folks. You will be dead before you see another title

[/QUOTE]

Okay. Maybe, but Boyce had a productive career at TCU, more so than Stills. Boyce I thought at the time was a solid 4th round pick. Still do. Everyone evolves differently, we haven't seen the best from boyce yet. You got to like his size, speed and quickness. He was built to play the slot ideally and be that possession receiver we need. 

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

For what it's worth I think Dobson is the real deal. He has the size and speed and i think the game will slow down for him next year and you won't see the drops you saw this year.  Many receivers make a huge jump in their 2nd year as they are more comfortable in the offense and the speed of the game at the NFL level. If you look at Alshon Jeffery who is a similar type receiver with the same type of physical attributes (might be 10 lbs heavier) in his rookie year  he played in 10 games with 24 catches, 48 targets, 367 yards and 3 TD's. Dobson played in 12 regular season games with 37 catches, 74 targets, 519 yards and 4 Td's.

IMHO, based on what I saw this year i think Dobson will have a breakout year next year. As always health will play a factor, let's hope he can stay on the field.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

"you got to like his size"

not really. I actually thought he was bigger from watching college film. I was dissapointed at how small he looked on the field. Here is the thing. Folks raved about his speed. I know football is more than that. Having a bigger college impact means nothing as weve seen in the past. So its about fit. Its the same thing with chad Jackson over Greg Jennings. Jackson was more productive but was a BUST and Jennings would have been the better fit, IMO.

Still has better hands and runs better routes and looked more NFL ready. He was starting outside for DREW BREES and stayed there all  year and was a great complimentary piece. Boyce to me is just a slot WR with speed. Dont we have like 4 slot WRs on this team already? I would have preffered a sure thing over a speed merchant. Redshirt year vs impact player. Not even close. Dobson may never reach his potential if brady loses patience and KT will probably be cut in camp next year like Rkarp suggested. Im not thrilled, sorry. end of the year none of them were there for us. The gamble DID not pay off. Hopefully Dobson breaks out next year after a year of learning. He is the only guy I see cutting as a real threat

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Allen had far and away the best year for a rookie WR.  Props to him.  His season was not the norm.  Terrance Williams and Allen were drafted in the 3rd round so the OP's rant about trading down is ridiculous.  Dump this thread.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:
    [QUOTE]

For what it's worth I think Dobson is the real deal. He has the size and speed and i think the game will slow down for him next year and you won't see the drops you saw this year.  Many receivers make a huge jump in their 2nd year as they are more comfortable in the offense and the speed of the game at the NFL level. If you look at Alshon Jeffery who is a similar type receiver with the same type of physical attributes (might be 10 lbs heavier) in his rookie year  he played in 10 games with 24 catches, 48 targets, 367 yards and 3 TD's. Dobson played in 12 regular season games with 37 catches, 74 targets, 519 yards and 4 Td's.

IMHO, based on what I saw this year i think Dobson will have a breakout year next year. As always health will play a factor, let's hope he can stay on the field.

[/QUOTE]

I must admit at times Dobson has looked better than I thought he would be pre draft. I always thought he was a solid pick but I thought his ceiling was as a #2 WR. At times he looks like a low #1 type (ala Branch in the early 00's). Now I don't think he has nearly the ceiling you think he has but for different reasons. I agree his hands will get better and the game will slow down but the biggest thing I see holding him back weren't those issues. It's that he doesn't like to fight for the ball and doesn't know how to use that big body of his to block out CB's. That was a knock of his in college and it's why I thought he was a #2 type. He has the physical ability to be a #1 top 15 type WR but mentally he's afford to get dirty to get the ball. If he gets more consistent and learns to fight for the ball and use that big body of his he could be a very dangerous WR, but he has to be willing to do so and I'm not sure if he is. I just haven't seen that fight in his nature nether this year nor in college. That's what separates him and an Allen. Allen will get dirty for a ball, not sure Dobson will.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Understood - after one year we've got this one nailed.  Got it!

Sections
Shortcuts