Keenan Allen vs Dobson , Boyce !!!

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

Re: Keenan Allen vs Dobson , Boyce !!!

In response to PatsEng's comment:

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:

For what it's worth I think Dobson is the real deal. He has the size and speed and i think the game will slow down for him next year and you won't see the drops you saw this year.  Many receivers make a huge jump in their 2nd year as they are more comfortable in the offense and the speed of the game at the NFL level. If you look at Alshon Jeffery who is a similar type receiver with the same type of physical attributes (might be 10 lbs heavier) in his rookie year  he played in 10 games with 24 catches, 48 targets, 367 yards and 3 TD's. Dobson played in 12 regular season games with 37 catches, 74 targets, 519 yards and 4 Td's.

IMHO, based on what I saw this year i think Dobson will have a breakout year next year. As always health will play a factor, let's hope he can stay on the field.

I must admit at times Dobson has looked better than I thought he would be pre draft. I always thought he was a solid pick but I thought his ceiling was as a #2 WR. At times he looks like a low #1 type (ala Branch in the early 00's). Now I don't think he has nearly the ceiling you think he has but for different reasons. I agree his hands will get better and the game will slow down but the biggest thing I see holding him back weren't those issues. It's that he doesn't like to fight for the ball and doesn't know how to use that big body of his to block out CB's. That was a knock of his in college and it's why I thought he was a #2 type. He has the physical ability to be a #1 top 15 type WR but mentally he's afford to get dirty to get the ball. If he gets more consistent and learns to fight for the ball and use that big body of his he could be a very dangerous WR, but he has to be willing to do so and I'm not sure if he is. I just haven't seen that fight in his nature nether this year nor in college. That's what separates him and an Allen. Allen will get dirty for a ball, not sure Dobson will.

You could be correct. i have only seen the highlights from his marshall days so it's hard for me to comment on his compete level at marshall. what i noticed from him this year is that he seemed to have some indecision when running certain routes which look like might of thrown off the timing of the play. I think this will improve with a full offseason and another training camp.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

Understood - after one year we've got this one nailed.  Got it!

Who would have thought we had such incredible talent evaluaters right here on the message board huh? How these guys aren't scouts for an NFL team is pure mystery.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bungalow-Bill. Show Bungalow-Bill's posts

In response to Quagmire3's comment:

if you think Dobson hasnt shown the ability to seperate you havent been watching. Dobson is a good WR and will surpass Keenan Allen. What you failed to mention is that we not only got Dobson, but we also got Boyce Ryan and Legarret Blount in the pikcs we recieved for #1. So would you rather have Keenan Allen or Dobson, Logan Ryan, Boyce and Blount? Personally I thought Ryan had a great season. Also checking your own math above when you said Allen outperformed all 3 of our WR's; Allen = 71 catches for 1046 yards. Our 3 WR's = 76 catches for 1084 yards. Personally it bothered me much more to see DL Kendall Reyes out there playing well for the Chargers while Tavon Wilson sat on our bench!

Reuben Randle, TY Hilton or Lavonte David would look pretty good in a Pats uniform too!

The middle of that draft was sooooo bad. Tavon Wilson, Jake Bequette and Nate Ebner.  LOL thanks, BB.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

I wasn't a huge Dobson guy leading up to the draft... I could see why they took him, but I just had others rated higher.  I had DeAndre Hopkins as the #1 WR on my board, rated as a Rd 1 kid and Keenan rated #2 as a Rd 1/2 kid.

So I would've taken Keenan over Dobson on draft day and my thought on that havn't changed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Where do all the after the fact guys always come from.

Keenen Allen plays and moves just like Aaron Hernandez. That's a good thing, but at the time the Patriots still had Aaron Hernandez. 

Yes I am well aware Hern played TE and Allen plays WR.

Most of us liked hopkins. He got bench in Houston because he's apparently dumb as rocks. How do you think they would fly here in NE in this game plan specific complicated offense?

Keenan Allen fell down a lot of draft boards as draft day approached. I believe he was very early on a 1st rounder in talk. Not sure what caused that but he didn't get picked till well into the 3rd round.

Basically every other team had 2 or more chances to take him earlier and didn't.

These types of threads are always so dumb. What a player does somewhere else is no absolute indicator of what he would do in NE.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

I wasn't a huge Dobson guy leading up to the draft... I could see why they took him, but I just had others rated higher.  I had DeAndre Hopkins as the #1 WR on my board, rated as a Rd 1 kid and Keenan rated #2 as a Rd 1/2 kid.

So I would've taken Keenan over Dobson on draft day and my thought on that hasn't changed.

And your initial thoughts pre draft have now been proven out...at least in year 1 of their careers.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mcboyd22. Show mcboyd22's posts

Great points, Quagmire - totally agree. 

you think Dobson hasnt shown the ability to seperate you havent been watching. Dobson is a good WR and will surpass Keenan Allen. What you failed to mention is that we not only got Dobson, but we also got Boyce Ryan and Legarret Blount in the pikcs we recieved for #1. So would you rather have Keenan Allen or Dobson, Logan Ryan, Boyce and Blount? Personally I thought Ryan had a great season. Also checking your own math above when you said Allen outperformed all 3 of our WR's; Allen = 71 catches for 1046 yards. Our 3 WR's = 76 catches for 1084 yards. Personally it bothered me much more to see DL Kendall Reyes out there playing well for the Chargers while Tavon Wilson sat on our bench!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

In response to Low-FB-IQ's comment:

Keenen Allen plays and moves just like Aaron Hernandez. That's a good thing, but at the time the Patriots still had Aaron Hernandez. 

Most of us liked hopkins. He got bench in Houston because he's apparently dumb as rocks. How do you think they would fly here in NE in this game plan specific complicated offense?

Keenan Allen fell down a lot of draft boards as draft day approached. I believe he was very early on a 1st rounder in talk. Not sure what caused that but he didn't get picked till well into the 3rd round.

Basically every other team had 2 or more chances to take him earlier and didn't.

These types of threads are always so dumb. What a player does somewhere else is no absolute indicator of what he would do in NE.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keenan_Allen

Due to a posterior cruciate ligament sprain he sustained during the 2012 season, Allen did not work out at the NFL Scouting Combine, but did run routes at Cal's Pro Day.[5] Keenan Allen was described by draft pundits as one of the best receivers in the 2013 NFL draft, estimating that he would be picked in the later half of the first round.

On April 9, 2013, Allen attended his own pro day, where he showed his route running skills and catching abilities to numerous scouts and reporters. Due to a knee injury that Allen sustained last season, he was not at peak performance, leading to a 4.71-second time in the 40-yard dash. Allen noted that he was only at 80% health on the pro day. This lead to a drop in his projected draft position. 

Also, Yakv mentioned TJ Moe.  Moe tore his Achilles tendon not ACL.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to tanbass' comment:

Who would have thought we had such incredible talent evaluaters right here on the message board huh? How these guys aren't scouts for an NFL team is pure mystery.

I've sent an invitation to BB to join this forum so that he can garner the benefit of the collective football savvy extant the board.   Regrettably I don't think he'll join since he's too busy planning on how to screw up yet again on the upcoming draft.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I know you were on MB's draft thread last year, so the opinions  of myself, PatsEng, MB were known pre draft. I would hardly call that after the fact. 

Big deal. Every other team passes on multiple players throughout draft day but it doesn't mean squat. it's part of the draft process. What's your point here? Because 31 other teams passed on him means what? Does that justify us passing on him when WR was a big need? Many had Allen ranked higher than Dobson Including many here. Hardly after the fact.

are seriously comparing Hernandez to Allen? Maybe you could enlighten me beyond, "they move and play alike"...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I've sent an invitation to BB to join this forum so that he can garner the benefit of the collective football savvy extant the board.   Regrettably I don't think he'll join since he's too busy planning on how to screw up yet again on the upcoming draft.

Funny and stupid. Just because your not bb doesn't mean you can't evaluate players and, pick winners. Bb doesn't corner the market on talent evaluation in case you haven't noticed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

Funny and stupid. Just because your not bb doesn't mean you can't evaluate players and, pick winners. Bb doesn't corner the market on talent evaluation in case you haven't noticed.

I do thank you for referring to me as 'stupid'.  Was it really that painful to read a little sarcastic commentary?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I do thank you for referring to me as 'stupid'.  Was it really that painful to read a little sarcastic commentary?

I wasn't referring to you. Just what you said. I know you are a proud patriot and would never dishonor you that way.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I wasn't referring to you. Just what you said. I know you are a proud patriot and would never dishonor you that way.

Fair enough but was my tinge of sarcasm that much worse than some of the broad brush commentary we see here on a daily bais?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Some of us make these predictions pre-draft so please don't group us in as hindsighters. It can't be hindsight when we called it before it happened could it? You've posted on the Draft thread a couple times so you know what some of our wishes were year in and year out. You also know we don't switch names after we pick them and will fully admit to players we liked that failed (personally I liked Bequette as a sub player who looked more NFL ready than Jones but with a much lower ceiling. Completely blew that one). But, on occassion we do get things right, so forgive us if we like to have our moments in, I wish we got my guy because look at how he performed. It's the closest we'll ever get to the game we love. But, for those who like to call the draft guys "couch GM's" the fact that expert reporters have used (word for word at times) segments from the draft thread goes to show that yes we do have decent eyes for talent. Who knows with the right connections and a twist of faith I do think some (like MB) could be scouts for some teams (notice I said scout not GM). Just because you don't work in the profession doesn't mean you don't have a talent for it.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

I know you were on MB's draft thread last year, so the opinions  of myself, PatsEng, MB were known pre draft. I would hardly call that after the fact. 

Big deal. Every other team passes on multiple players throughout draft day but it doesn't mean squat. it's part of the draft process. What's your point here? Because 31 other teams passed on him means what? Does that justify us passing on him when WR was a big need? Many had Allen ranked higher than Dobson Including many here. Hardly after the fact.

are seriously comparing Hernandez to Allen? Maybe you could enlighten me beyond, "they move and play alike"...

First I was referring to the guy who started the thread.

Second it is BECAUSE I was and am always a big part of that thread I have no problem saying it.

EVeryone cooled on Allen and started talking up lots of other guys.

By the time draft came around Allen was in the mix but everyone wanted Hopkins 1st with no exceptions really. After that there was all sorts of names being focused on.

Dobson really was not one of the most poular of them but Boyce was talked about a lot. Stedman Bailey was loved. Quinton Patton, Robert Woods, and Marcus Wheaton, Da'rick Rodgers also freuently on tops of peoples lists.

How do I know? Because I keep a running spread shee t from all the previous years of the players we talk about in there, of their measurables, combine numbers, college playing stats, and most iimportantly how the majority of us in there most often speak highly of a particular player.

I think what irks people most is the folks who come around to post oh yeah we knew that guy was going to be good. And often that is true occasionally we in that thread do pick some good ones.

The problem is no one comes in going oh wow what an idiot I was I thought so in so was going to be great and he hasn't done cr@p. I am not positive but I suspect that is what bothers people.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

It's kind of goofy to whine about the your WRs out of context.

In context, all three young WRs were chosen to compete for 5th option in an offense that ad Hernandez and Gronkowski as projected focal points.  Amendola and Edelman as slots.

Why is this so hard to understand?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In response to Schumpeters-Ghost's comment:

It's kind of goofy to whine about the your WRs out of context.

In context, all three young WRs were chosen to compete for 5th option in an offense that ad Hernandez and Gronkowski as projected focal points.  Amendola and Edelman as slots.

Why is this so hard to understand?

Exactly right.

The TE's were the top targets going in most likely with I assume the expectation of being able to use Ballard as well allowing to use Hernandez as even more strictly a receiving TE/WR.

So with Allen being similar to hernadez in length and speed(4.7 ish) they probably thought Dobsons 4.37 4.4 40 speed would be a better varient but who the heck knows.

Always has to be an I told you so...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcherbrook. Show Fletcherbrook's posts

For what it's worth I think Dobson is the real deal. He has the size and speed and i think the game will slow down for him next year and you won't see the drops you saw this year.  Many receivers make a huge jump in their 2nd year as they are more comfortable in the offense and the speed of the game at the NFL level. If you look at Alshon Jeffery who is a similar type receiver with the same type of physical attributes (might be 10 lbs heavier) in his rookie year  he played in 10 games with 24 catches, 48 targets, 367 yards and 3 TD's. Dobson played in 12 regular season games with 37 catches, 74 targets, 519 yards and 4 Td's.

IMHO, based on what I saw this year i think Dobson will have a breakout year next year. As always health will play a factor, let's hope he can stay on the field.

I must admit at times Dobson has looked better than I thought he would be pre draft. I always thought he was a solid pick but I thought his ceiling was as a #2 WR. At times he looks like a low #1 type (ala Branch in the early 00's). Now I don't think he has nearly the ceiling you think he has but for different reasons. I agree his hands will get better and the game will slow down but the biggest thing I see holding him back weren't those issues. It's that he doesn't like to fight for the ball and doesn't know how to use that big body of his to block out CB's. That was a knock of his in college and it's why I thought he was a #2 type. He has the physical ability to be a #1 top 15 type WR but mentally he's afford to get dirty to get the ball. If he gets more consistent and learns to fight for the ball and use that big body of his he could be a very dangerous WR, but he has to be willing to do so and I'm not sure if he is. I just haven't seen that fight in his nature nether this year nor in college. That's what separates him and an Allen. Allen will get dirty for a ball, not sure Dobson will.

Agreed. Dobson will never be a top 10-12 WR IMO. Good number 2 though. 50-70/775/4.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

We could have had Cordelle Patterson!

Dem. Thomas a couple years ago and even Dez Bryant a few years ago....stay in first round and take first round talent!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from catbuttbuster45. Show catbuttbuster45's posts

In response to Bungalow-Bill's comment:

if you think Dobson hasnt shown the ability to seperate you havent been watching. Dobson is a good WR and will surpass Keenan Allen. What you failed to mention is that we not only got Dobson, but we also got Boyce Ryan and Legarret Blount in the pikcs we recieved for #1. So would you rather have Keenan Allen or Dobson, Logan Ryan, Boyce and Blount? Personally I thought Ryan had a great season. Also checking your own math above when you said Allen outperformed all 3 of our WR's; Allen = 71 catches for 1046 yards. Our 3 WR's = 76 catches for 1084 yards. Personally it bothered me much more to see DL Kendall Reyes out there playing well for the Chargers while Tavon Wilson sat on our bench!

Reuben Randle, TY Hilton or Lavonte David would look pretty good in a Pats uniform too!

The middle of that draft was sooooo bad. Tavon Wilson, Jake Bequette and Nate Ebner.  LOL thanks, BB.

BUST-CHISEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!~

MEOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

How's all that cat butt doing in your 'hood you 'ol NY Jets Troll? Still walking around with an old T-Shirt and a can of Chloroform in your back pocket? Still sneaking up behind the neighborhood kitties and "pouncing" on them?...you nasty boy you...

MEOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW...

Hit that kitty butt....

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from catbuttbuster45. Show catbuttbuster45's posts

In response to Fletcherbrook's comment:

Agreed. Dobson will never be a top 10-12 WR IMO. Good number 2 though. 50-70/775/4.

BUST-CHISEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!~

MEOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

How's all that cat butt doing in your 'hood you 'ol NY Jets Troll? Still walking around with an old T-Shirt and a can of Chloroform in your back pocket? Still sneaking up behind the neighborhood kitties and "pouncing" on them?...you nasty boy you...

MEOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW...

Hit that kitty butt....

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from catbuttbuster45. Show catbuttbuster45's posts

In response to mellymel1's comment:

Look....you want to engage in revisionist history when your original choice that was not picked does better then the guy the Pats picked, that's fine...it's also nothing more than " Nah, nah, I told you so" when done without any other type of context, like who was available, what type of offense they played in, how that dovetailed with ours, what kind of competition did they see, how many years did they play, how many games did they play in college, who was coming in later rounds we didn't expect would be available, what were the cap implications...and these are just a few... And all this goes without relating the fact that we lost, BADLY, the last game we played so many on these discussions are in full panic mode bourne of a depression like reaction to that loss....

Just take this stuff into effect when engaging in revisionist history...I give M-b-07 a pass because he is a true afficiando of the draft and knows it better than almost anyone here and never , to my knowledge, has not spoken the truth about a pick or the reasons for those picks...

You speak truth

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Spoiled culture of Bostonian sports fans that developed in te early 2000s. Ironically, BB started this in 2001.

Rome wasn't built in a day; the rookies weren't going to reach their potential in their first year in a complex a system as New England's. Cut them and BB some slack and let them grow...

Sections
Shortcuts