Kenny Britt taking a visit to NE tmrw

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Re: Kenny Britt taking a visit to NE tmrw

In response to PatsEng's comment:

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to TFB12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to TravisBean's comment:

[QUOTE]

As someone who can't help but have a casual interest in the Panthers down here, the LaFell thingy was high expectations combined with Newton learning to play the NFL level.

I will say, LaFell has taken baby steps to be better every year, which may be what BB is looking at there. Two factors are Newton's raw talent and the super high expectations of LaFell, but with LaFell progressing over his rookie deal.

Also, LaFell played with Ridley at LSU, so maybe that was taken into account in terms of having LaFell at least no one someone who was already here.

This could be a classic case of BB plucking a WR pretty cheaply on his way up, where Brady, the coaching, the system, etc, makes it a perfecty fit, where he outperforms the contract itself.

Britt, meanwhile, is a complete wildcard. Wildly talented, but immature and an off field risk.  Vet minimum with incentives only, IMO.

1 year prove it deal.

You call $11 mill for 3 years cheap? For a #3 WR and also known as having stonehands?  hopefully not much paid in guaranteed money and hope he doesn't cost much against the cap for this season.

[/QUOTE]

I watched some film on the guy and hope to watch more.  I don't know where the stone hands reputation has come from.  On deep routes, maybe.  But on the shorter routes he mostly runs, he caught the ball quite well.  This guy isn't much of a deep receiver, but he looks to me like a big possession-type receiver who will do well in the short and intermediate parts of the field.  I really like the signing, particularly given our weakness at TE.  I think he fills the space between move TE and true "deep-threat" outside receiver and will give us some more size in the redzone.  I'm not saying he'll be a Pro Bowler for us by any means, but I think he's a useful piece of the puzzle.  

[/QUOTE] 

Dropped 6 of 49 recs last year, so he's not bad but not great either however as a #3 usually the catches are a bit easier because you typically aren't looking over your shoulder to see who's going to cover you. 3/11mil is quite a bit for a #3 type but lets see what the kid can do because he's still pretty young.

[/QUOTE]

In the (admittedly small) sample of plays I looked at, he ran out of a lot of bunch formations where he was the underneath guy.  That does make it a bit easier to get open as the coverage tended to focus on the guys going deeper. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to rtuinila's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Joe, stop looking at the $$$. Stop looking at the dead cap money if he is cut. Look at the innocent people that could be hurt while this guy, or any player for that matter is breaking the law.

sure, any player, or non player can break the law...but this player does have a history in police incidents 9 times...with 1 charge of felony pleaded down to a misdemeanor..

its not right for the team to bring him here, and if he has a situation, simply to cut him and walk away from the situation, and let others clean up the mess

[/QUOTE]

There are always gonna be people breaking the law, consistently too. but, if this guy can help the team and can clean himself up and become what he should be, for like no $ either, why not?

and why it is the team's issue to help a player who's been arrested. that's his own business, his own consequences to deal with. not the team's.

[/QUOTE]

if that is the teams stance (which the owner has stated repeatedly and pointedly that it is not), then they need to stop pointing to themselves as leaders and pillars of the community.

the 2 faced position opens them up to as much public criticism as they rcvd (but expertly deflected) with the Hern situation...

the Pats self proclaimed defense in the Hern situation of "how could we know this guy would be trouble?" is lame...and if they use it with Britt, it is simply out right lies...the legal issues with Britt are already very public

[/QUOTE]

I don't believe the Pats ever said "how could we know this guy would be trouble?". I believe they said "how could we know this guy would murder someone?"

Big difference between pot smoking (guy could be trouble) and murder.

[/QUOTE]

Britt had a felony charge lawyered down to misdemeanor. 

If the guy is in his house smoking pot, I have no problem, although the NFL does. But Britt has been in DUI situations and events with knives. 

No thanks

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Joe, stop looking at the $$$. Stop looking at the dead cap money if he is cut. Look at the innocent people that could be hurt while this guy, or any player for that matter is breaking the law.

sure, any player, or non player can break the law...but this player does have a history in police incidents 9 times...with 1 charge of felony pleaded down to a misdemeanor..

its not right for the team to bring him here, and if he has a situation, simply to cut him and walk away from the situation, and let others clean up the mess

[/QUOTE]

There are always gonna be people breaking the law, consistently too. but, if this guy can help the team and can clean himself up and become what he should be, for like no $ either, why not?

and why it is the team's issue to help a player who's been arrested. that's his own business, his own consequences to deal with. not the team's.

[/QUOTE]

if that is the teams stance (which the owner has stated repeatedly and pointedly that it is not), then they need to stop pointing to themselves as leaders and pillars of the community.

the 2 faced position opens them up to as much public criticism as they rcvd (but expertly deflected) with the Hern situation...

the Pats self proclaimed defense in the Hern situation of "how could we know this guy would be trouble?" is lame...and if they use it with Britt, it is simply out right lies...the legal issues with Britt are already very public

[/QUOTE]

I don't believe the Pats ever said "how could we know this guy would be trouble?". I believe they said "how could we know this guy would murder someone?"

[/QUOTE]

If the guy is in his house smoking pot, I have no problem, although the NFL does. But Britt has been in DUI situations and events with knives. 

No thanks

[/QUOTE]

Hernandez also had the bar fight incident in college.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

No thanks

[/QUOTE]

Agree.  It's just a risk that we don't need to take.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

No thanks

[/QUOTE]

Hernandez also had the bar fight incident in college.  

[/QUOTE]

That fight resulted in a shooting with the victim fingering Hern. All public info and in police docs. But the Pats didnt know, right? So someone is dead, or maybe a few are dead, but the Pats cut Hern and are eating the dead cap money, so they are off the hook. 

Please. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to TFB12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to TravisBean's comment:

[QUOTE]

As someone who can't help but have a casual interest in the Panthers down here, the LaFell thingy was high expectations combined with Newton learning to play the NFL level.

I will say, LaFell has taken baby steps to be better every year, which may be what BB is looking at there. Two factors are Newton's raw talent and the super high expectations of LaFell, but with LaFell progressing over his rookie deal.

Also, LaFell played with Ridley at LSU, so maybe that was taken into account in terms of having LaFell at least no one someone who was already here.

This could be a classic case of BB plucking a WR pretty cheaply on his way up, where Brady, the coaching, the system, etc, makes it a perfecty fit, where he outperforms the contract itself.

Britt, meanwhile, is a complete wildcard. Wildly talented, but immature and an off field risk.  Vet minimum with incentives only, IMO.

1 year prove it deal.

[/QUOTE]

You call $11 mill for 3 years cheap? For a #3 WR and also known as having stonehands?  hopefully not much paid in guaranteed money and hope he doesn't cost much against the cap for this season.

[/QUOTE]

I watched some film on the guy and hope to watch more.  I don't know where the stone hands reputation has come from.  On deep routes, maybe.  But on the shorter routes he mostly runs, he caught the ball quite well.  This guy isn't much of a deep receiver, but he looks to me like a big possession-type receiver who will do well in the short and intermediate parts of the field.  I really like the signing, particularly given our weakness at TE.  I think he fills the space between move TE and true "deep-threat" outside receiver and will give us some more size in the redzone.  I'm not saying he'll be a Pro Bowler for us by any means, but I think he's a useful piece of the puzzle.  

[/QUOTE] 

Dropped 6 of 49 recs last year, so he's not bad but not great either however as a #3 usually the catches are a bit easier because you typically aren't looking over your shoulder to see who's going to cover you. 3/11mil is quite a bit for a #3 type but lets see what the kid can do because he's still pretty young.

[/QUOTE]

In the (admittedly small) sample of plays I looked at, he ran out of a lot of bunch formations where he was the underneath guy.  That does make it a bit easier to get open as the coverage tended to focus on the guys going deeper. 

[/QUOTE]

A high % (approx 75%) of his routes were from the slot position according to PFF.    With TFB's being known for his high velocity short and intermediate passes you worry a little about the hands.  Hope the guy works out, I like the height he adds.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Any news out of this visit?  Considering what happened recently, nothing happened, I guess.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

The fact he impersonated a Red Sox player when stopped by the police he should be a Pat.  LOL

Joke.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

My only question is can he play the X WR! Because I'm sure the Patriots are now writing all kinds of language in their contracts to protect themselves against being hammered by the cap for signing questionable characters. The 7.5 mil in dead money they were stuck with after AH's arrest won't happen again.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

My only question is can he play the X WR! Because I'm sure the Patriots are now writing all kinds of language in their contracts to protect themselves against being hammered by the cap for signing questionable characters. The 7.5 mil in dead money they were stuck with after AH's arrest won't happen again.

[/QUOTE]

For the right price, he'd be a good gamble: http://www.patspulpit.com/2014/3/15/5513590/brandon-lafelll-a-patriot-kenny-britt-next

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

In response to agcsbill's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to digger0862's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Nice player. Former Tennessee Titans 1st rounder out of Rutgers.

[/QUOTE]

Is there something in the water at Rutgers, like a Patriots prospect potion?

[/QUOTE]
     Ironically, New Jersey produces more than it's share of football players. In particular, the Jersey North Catholic League with Bergen Catholic (Brian Cushing) , Don Bosco (2009 National Champion), St. Joe's (McCourty's) supplies tons of talent to division 1. BC has been a big recipient of it's lineman.

I ask myself why? The schools recruit heavily from surrounding counties, offer full scholarships, have top coaching and play in national games on TV. They develop the talent well.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

[QUOTE]

True, unless Britt gets next to no guaranteed money this is an example of a red flag player you don't want to sign. Huge upside but has had 9 police incidents since he's been in the league and over the last 4 years has developed the nickname Kenny Brittle. This is a guy I'd be pissed if they sign and give him any type of real guaranteed money

[/QUOTE]

Ex-Patriot WR Randy Moss thinks that signing Britt could be a great move...provided that he stays out of trouble: http://nesn.com/2013/02/randy-moss-believes-kenny-britt-could-become-elite-without-off-field-issues/

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from CubanPete. Show CubanPete's posts

I like Britt. He's got talent. He'd be a great player if the racist cops stop harassing him.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Albert Breer @AlbertBreer 3m

Kenny Britt completed his visit with Patriots, left w/o a deal. Both Rams, Pats have shown an interest in signing him. Visits Redskins next.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

True, unless Britt gets next to no guaranteed money this is an example of a red flag player you don't want to sign. Huge upside but has had 9 police incidents since he's been in the league and over the last 4 years has developed the nickname Kenny Brittle. This is a guy I'd be pissed if they sign and give him any type of real guaranteed money

[/QUOTE]

Ex-Patriot WR Randy Moss thinks that signing Britt could be a great move...provided that he stays out of trouble: http://nesn.com/2013/02/randy-moss-believes-kenny-britt-could-become-elite-without-off-field-issues/

[/QUOTE]

He's the ultimate low risk / high reward guy.  You make none of it guaranteed, and build incentives...kind of like what they did with Moss his first year. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That's some pretty big if's though, if he gets his mind right, if he stays out of trouble, if he lives up to his promise. Like I said no guaranteed sure worth a shot but those if's are mighty massive considering his history already.