Kenny Britt taking a visit to NE tmrw

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MileHighMike. Show MileHighMike's posts

Re: Kenny Britt taking a visit to NE tmrw

Got to give BB credit.  After his repeated poor drafting of WR (again last year), he is not afraid to admit his busted picks.  Now going after these average WRs to try to make up for last year's debacle to improve that poor WR group is necessary.  The strange thing, of course, is that he is doing it in the year where the draft is stacked with WR.  It's like he didn't take the time to look ahead.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MileHighMike. Show MileHighMike's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:

People think he isnt worth the risk because of off-field troubles.

why?

if he comes here it will be on a 1-2 year deal with 2 mil AAV over that span and i bet no gtd money either.

we dont have to be afraid of that crap or risk in this type of situation, if he gets arrested again, just cut him and thats the end of that. no big deal. life moves on who cares.

this isnt hernandez where we are going to tie down 40 something million and then get completely screwed. this guy Britt wont be a risk at all. bring him in, first sign of trouble, cut him. no biggie

Joe, stop looking at the $$$. Stop looking at the dead cap money if he is cut. Look at the innocent people that could be hurt while this guy, or any player for that matter is breaking the law.

sure, any player, or non player can break the law...but this player does have a history in police incidents 9 times...with 1 charge of felony pleaded down to a misdemeanor..

its not right for the team to bring him here, and if he has a situation, simply to cut him and walk away from the situation, and let others clean up the mess

The new and improved "patriot way".  BB has a tendency to double down when people question his methods.  After the A A Ron debacle, BB has now gone afer all these guys with character issues instead of cleaning up.  Arrogance, plain and simple.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Medic87. Show Medic87's posts

Live in TN now, watch every titans game ( usually don't have a choice).  I would definitely stay away from Britt,  not only because of his off the field issues, but his on the field issues as we'll. big attitude problem, takes games off,  you don't know if the good britt shows up or the non existent one.  Big time red flag!  I like his size, but that's it.  Now maybe he comes to NE and becomes a model citizen ala moss, Dillon. But I wouldn't count on it,  not enough upside IMO.

i love the lafell signing, good kid with size and speed, good hands, I thought he was undervalued and under used in CAR,  Newton always looked for smith 1st.  this may have been our best FA signing, i certainly hope so and look forward to him excelling in NE with Brady throwing to him.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Joe, stop looking at the $$$. Stop looking at the dead cap money if he is cut. Look at the innocent people that could be hurt while this guy, or any player for that matter is breaking the law.

sure, any player, or non player can break the law...but this player does have a history in police incidents 9 times...with 1 charge of felony pleaded down to a misdemeanor..

its not right for the team to bring him here, and if he has a situation, simply to cut him and walk away from the situation, and let others clean up the mess

There are always gonna be people breaking the law, consistently too. but, if this guy can help the team and can clean himself up and become what he should be, for like no $ either, why not?

and why it is the team's issue to help a player who's been arrested. that's his own business, his own consequences to deal with. not the team's.

if that is the teams stance (which the owner has stated repeatedly and pointedly that it is not), then they need to stop pointing to themselves as leaders and pillars of the community.

the 2 faced position opens them up to as much public criticism as they rcvd (but expertly deflected) with the Hern situation...

the Pats self proclaimed defense in the Hern situation of "how could we know this guy would be trouble?" is lame...and if they use it with Britt, it is simply out right lies...the legal issues with Britt are already very public

• You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

if that is the teams stance (which the owner has stated repeatedly and pointedly that it is not), then they need to stop pointing to themselves as leaders and pillars of the community.

the 2 faced position opens them up to as much public criticism as they rcvd (but expertly deflected) with the Hern situation...

the Pats self proclaimed defense in the Hern situation of "how could we know this guy would be trouble?" is lame...and if they use it with Britt, it is simply out right lies...the legal issues with Britt are already very public

well yes the Hern defense is bs.. they knew of things. which would be the same way with Britt.

I just look at this like, you want to bring in the best talent that can help you win games. and this kid could be worth a lot more than the contract may say and if he doesnt pan out the contract wont mean much. no risk high reward.

I understand they wanna be seen as leaders in the community so they cant do this i guess. but if it was me, I'd say screw it and try him. but that's just me

•  
  • You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

In response to TSWFAN's comment:

In response to TexasPat's comment:

Appears as though BB is ratcheting up the camp competition at wideout.  Kid has lots of talent but hasn't done much since he's been in the league.

The kid has talent to die for. Sure, bringing him in is a risk. But, in order to surpass Denver, risks must be taken. Bring the kid in...and let's give Tom some more raw talent to work with. We don't know whether Aaron Dobson is going to fully recover from his stress fracture issues. Britt provides insurance.

If Britt turns into the second coming of Randy Moss, than the Pats have that deep threat they need to keep defenses honest. None of their current WRs, included the newly signed Brandon LaFell, have this ability. Britt does. 

There's more to it than wins and losses however. I assume by your handle, you don't live here ( I assume Texas). I live in the same community as Hern. Lots of kids here. Ride their bikes past his house, look up to him, follow his truck when he drives thru. don't react to potential trouble, be proactive....the pats can hide behind the legal system and take zero responsibility to the Hern situation...but to state they didn't know the extent of Brits troubles would be bold face lies...

There's no question that Britt has had more than his share of off field issues.  Saw reference to him having been 'involved with police 9 times since he joined NFL.'  That's quite a bit and there's no question that any team that signs him will be taking a risk on several levels. 

I suspect that this may be one signing (if it happens) where Robert Kraft will be consulted before it becomes a done deal. 

The question in my mind:  Is the potential reward worth the risk? 

Some will say yes, others no. 

What do you say? ....I believe you are a reasonable person.

I think they have two "hard to handle" personalities in Revis & Browner.

It seems that the stuff he's been involved in has ranged from speeding to perhaps an incident where someone was stabbed.   The question, and it's a tough one, is this simply a matter of maturity or does this guy have flaws in his character that will not be possible to overcome.  It will boil down to how BB (and perhaps Kraft) evaluate this kid in person.

From afar, I'd be reluctant to sign him, particularly in light of the recent Hernandez experience.

+1

• You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to MileHighMike's comment:

The new and improved "patriot way".  BB has a tendency to double down when people question his methods.  After the A A Ron debacle, BB has now gone afer all these guys with character issues instead of cleaning up.  Arrogance, plain and simple.

This coming from the guy that roots for a team that has cheated on the salary cap, and just pulled off an unscrupulous signing of Emmanuel Sanders. Talk about arrogance...I'll show you an idiot Broncos fan every time!

Why don't you get the hell out of here, and go play with your John Elway blow-up doll. 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

In response to Medic87's comment:

Live in TN now, watch every titans game ( usually don't have a choice).  I would definitely stay away from Britt,  not only because of his off the field issues, but his on the field issues as we'll. big attitude problem, takes games off,  you don't know if the good britt shows up or the non existent one.  Big time red flag!  I like his size, but that's it.  Now maybe he comes to NE and becomes a model citizen ala moss, Dillon. But I wouldn't count on it,  not enough upside IMO.

i love the lafell signing, good kid with size and speed, good hands, I thought he was undervalued and under used in CAR,  Newton always looked for smith 1st.  this may have been our best FA signing, i certainly hope so and look forward to him excelling in NE with Brady throwing to him.

That's the big fear with him. He's a knucklehead.

I hope you're right about Lafell. I've thought Newton was an overrated passer since he came in to the league. From afar, Lafell has always just lacked something to take that next step. Hopefully it was where he was, and not who he is.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from APpats22. Show APpats22's posts

Any news on Britt?

• You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to APpats22's comment:

Any news on Britt?

nope, if the contract isnt signed today he will visit Washington per Breer

• You have chosen to ignore posts from APpats22. Show APpats22's posts

Any news on Britt?

Hopefully they sign him then. Wouldn't hurt to see what hes got.

Any news on Britt?

Hopefully they sign him then. Wouldn't hurt to see what hes got.

yep im on that boat too bring him in cheap

• You have chosen to ignore posts from MileHighMike. Show MileHighMike's posts

This coming from the guy that roots for a team that has cheated on the salary cap, and just pulled off an unscrupulous signing of Emmanuel Sanders. Talk about arrogance...I'll show you an idiot Broncos fan every time!

Why don't you get the hell out of here, and go play with your John Elway blow-up doll. 

Yes, cheated on the cap... that's even worse than cheating inthe game after being warned, then getting caught, getting fined and losing picks and almost as bad as drafting a murderer.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from xxxcrwn. Show xxxcrwn's posts

Yes, cheated on the cap... that's even worse than cheating inthe game after being warned, then getting caught, getting fined and losing picks and almost as bad as drafting a murderer.

None of this was ever proven, just conjecture by the media because Goodell destroyed the "evidence". It's quite possible he destroyed whatever he had because it amounted to nothing, & he would have been laughed at. He left it up to the media to "guess" at what had happened, & none of them were smart enough to come up with the 2nd scenario. What was Goodell hiding? We all know how even handed Goodell hands out punishment. The Jets were caught up, & were much more guilty of video taping, in the whole "scandal", yet the ex-Jet employee let them walk away unscathed. The same deal for when the Jets coaches were tripping opposing players on the sidelines. No discipline by Goodell again.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from laurienyc13. Show laurienyc13's posts

Can't we EVER have a thread when an idiot doesn't bring up "spygate" it's so old and really BORING.. Move on, and they say women always bring up the past!! Grow UP!!

• You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to TravisBean's comment:

In response to ma6dragon9's comment:

I hope you're right about Lafell. I've thought Newton was an overrated passer since he came in to the league. From afar, Lafell has always just lacked something to take that next step. Hopefully it was where he was, and not who he is.

As someone who can't help but have a casual interest in the Panthers down here, the LaFell thingy was high expectations combined with Newton learning to play the NFL level.

I will say, LaFell has taken baby steps to be better every year, which may be what BB is looking at there. Two factors are Newton's raw talent and the super high expectations of LaFell, but with LaFell progressing over his rookie deal.

Also, LaFell played with Ridley at LSU, so maybe that was taken into account in terms of having LaFell at least no one someone who was already here.

This could be a classic case of BB plucking a WR pretty cheaply on his way up, where Brady, the coaching, the system, etc, makes it a perfecty fit, where he outperforms the contract itself.

Britt, meanwhile, is a complete wildcard. Wildly talented, but immature and an off field risk.  Vet minimum with incentives only, IMO.

1 year prove it deal.

Good post Russ and I agree. Brady usually makes wr's up their game. And if Lafell has been progressing every year and maybe never reached his potential with cam running the show, it should be interesting to see what tb and mcd can get out of him. If amendola, Edelman, Lafell stay healthy, and one of Boyce, Dobson, thompkins takes a step forward, we will be improved over last year at the position. Add Gronk, Vereen, Ridley to the mix and we should have enough weapons to score points. 

What I find interesting is what the pats signed Lafell for compared to what the donkeys signed sanders for. Almost identical at a high level. 

i am curious as to why bb signed Lafell vs signing sanders? 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

As someone who can't help but have a casual interest in the Panthers down here, the LaFell thingy was high expectations combined with Newton learning to play the NFL level.

I will say, LaFell has taken baby steps to be better every year, which may be what BB is looking at there. Two factors are Newton's raw talent and the super high expectations of LaFell, but with LaFell progressing over his rookie deal.

Also, LaFell played with Ridley at LSU, so maybe that was taken into account in terms of having LaFell at least no one someone who was already here.

This could be a classic case of BB plucking a WR pretty cheaply on his way up, where Brady, the coaching, the system, etc, makes it a perfecty fit, where he outperforms the contract itself.

Britt, meanwhile, is a complete wildcard. Wildly talented, but immature and an off field risk.  Vet minimum with incentives only, IMO.

1 year prove it deal.

You call $11 mill for 3 years cheap? For a #3 WR and also known as having stonehands?  hopefully not much paid in guaranteed money and hope he doesn't cost much against the cap for this season.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Bradysgirlforreal. Show Bradysgirlforreal's posts

I agree this guy is a complete moron I've put him on ignore and everyone else should also? Not sure why he's on here? I'm sure once the "hired Hand" Manning is done we'll never hear from him again! Just imagine what he'd be posting if Denver won the SB -thank you Seattle!!!!

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Bradysgirlforreal. Show Bradysgirlforreal's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

In response to ma6dragon9's comment:

1 year prove it deal.

Good post Russ and I agree. Brady usually makes wr's up their game. And if Lafell has been progressing every year and maybe never reached his potential with cam running the show, it should be interesting to see what tb and mcd can get out of him. If amendola, Edelman, Lafell stay healthy, and one of Boyce, Dobson, thompkins takes a step forward, we will be improved over last year at the position. Add Gronk, Vereen, Ridley to the mix and we should have enough weapons to score points. 

What I find interesting is what the pats signed Lafell for compared to what the donkeys signed sanders for. Almost identical at a high level. 

i am curious as to why bb signed Lafell vs signing sanders? 

Probably because we already have Sanders his name is Edelman?

• You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

1. Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer  19h

Titans believed Britt had really grown up in the last year. Health of Britt's knees are a question, but the Rams passed him on his physical.

Expand
    2.   Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer  19h

WR Kenny Britt visited with the Rams yesterday, is with the Patriots today, and I'm told the Redskins are working on a visit for him too.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

1 year prove it deal.

You call $11 mill for 3 years cheap? For a #3 WR and also known as having stonehands?  hopefully not much paid in guaranteed money and hope he doesn't cost much against the cap for this season.

I watched some film on the guy and hope to watch more.  I don't know where the stone hands reputation has come from.  On deep routes, maybe.  But on the shorter routes he mostly runs, he caught the ball quite well.  This guy isn't much of a deep receiver, but he looks to me like a big possession-type receiver who will do well in the short and intermediate parts of the field.  I really like the signing, particularly given our weakness at TE.  I think he fills the space between move TE and true "deep-threat" outside receiver and will give us some more size in the redzone.  I'm not saying he'll be a Pro Bowler for us by any means, but I think he's a useful piece of the puzzle.  

• You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

In response to TFB12's comment:

1 year prove it deal.

I watched some film on the guy and hope to watch more.  I don't know where the stone hands reputation has come from.  On deep routes, maybe.  But on the shorter routes he mostly runs, he caught the ball quite well.  This guy isn't much of a deep receiver, but he looks to me like a big possession-type receiver who will do well in the short and intermediate parts of the field.  I really like the signing, particularly given our weakness at TE.  I think he fills the space between move TE and true "deep-threat" outside receiver and will give us some more size in the redzone.  I'm not saying he'll be a Pro Bowler for us by any means, but I think he's a useful piece of the puzzle.  

Dropped 6 of 49 recs last year, so he's not bad but not great either however as a #3 usually the catches are a bit easier because you typically aren't looking over your shoulder to see who's going to cover you. 3/11mil is quite a bit for a #3 type but lets see what the kid can do because he's still pretty young.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

True, unless Britt gets next to no guaranteed money this is an example of a red flag player you don't want to sign. Huge upside but has had 9 police incidents since he's been in the league and over the last 4 years has developed the nickname Kenny Brittle. This is a guy I'd be pissed if they sign and give him any type of real guaranteed money

• You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Got to give BB credit.  After his repeated poor drafting of WR (again last year), he is not afraid to admit his busted picks.  Now going after these average WRs to try to make up for last year's debacle to improve that poor WR group is necessary.  The strange thing, of course, is that he is doing it in the year where the draft is stacked with WR.  It's like he didn't take the time to look ahead.

This post is cute, Dobson was a fine draft pick last. You have had some real sour grapes. Celebrate the Broncos mortgage the future for now because really that is all you got.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

There are always gonna be people breaking the law, consistently too. but, if this guy can help the team and can clean himself up and become what he should be, for like no $ either, why not?

and why it is the team's issue to help a player who's been arrested. that's his own business, his own consequences to deal with. not the team's.

I don't believe the Pats ever said "how could we know this guy would be trouble?". I believe they said "how could we know this guy would murder someone?"

Big difference between pot smoking (guy could be trouble) and murder.

•  
    Sections
    Shortcuts