Kenny Britt

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

Kenny Britt

I heard yesterday that the Titans are pretty much through with Kenny Britt. I get that we're going to the full youth movement and a veteran is not going to come in and save the day but this is a unique Talib-like situation from last year. Disgruntled player and a team that's done with him, one-year rental situation. He's been injury-prone as well but when healthy, we have seen him make plays in the NFL. There's the whole Rutgers connection as well. Could be a situation where a change in scenery and some familiarity brings out better in a player. Thoughts?

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

Re: Kenny Britt

ap, I actually had the same thoughts yesterday.  My roommate is a Titans fan and basically said Britt is completely in the doghouse and they will probably get rid of him.  His lack of effort (supposedly he hasn't been blocking for sh*t) will not sit well with BB, but maybe a change of scenery and playing for a legit contender will be the motivation he needs?  Lord knows he has the talent and methinks that if we were to grab him, he would be a great addition to the WR corps.

Very much like the Talib situation from last year.  Imagine a healthy Gronk, healthy Amendola, Britt, and a more-groomed Dobson/Thompkins/Boyce at the end of the season?  That offense would be dynamic as hell.  Wishful thinking though.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Might be worth taking a look at. Amendola is getting conflicting reports about whether he will need surgery or not and honestly if it's that close and he/they try to rush it back there is a good likelyhood it will actually tear completely. Given the rooks still need time to develop (given most rooks at least a year if not more) and injury issues with both Amendola and Edelman, having that extra vet might be a wise option if the price is right. For someone like Britt I'm guessing that should be a 6th or so.

I swear by lil 10 pound bearded baby Jesus

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

Britt is like crack, just say no!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

In the case, what could Britt have done that Kembrell hasn't? I don't think BB would care; as put its, "I'm going to do what's best for the team."

"The night is darkest just before the dawn. And I promise you, the dawn is coming." --- Harvey Dent

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to apdynasty23's comment:

In the case, what could Britt have done that Kembrell hasn't? I don't think BB would care; as put its, "I'm going to do what's best for the team."

"The night is darkest just before the dawn. And I promise you, the dawn is coming." --- Harvey Dent

How about catch the ball?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

You mean like Welker did to win the superbowl against the Giants? Oh, but wait...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

Forgot to mention, he would have to see the field during a game and I doubt that would happen.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to rtuinila's comment:

Forgot to mention, he would have to see the field during a game and I doubt that would happen.

You mean like Boyce? 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Well, Kenny Britt isn't exactly old. But then, he adds only a little. 

Ne's offense will be new to him. Not as new as it is to NCAA players like Dobson, Thompkins, and Boyce, but new. 

And he is a headcase. And he is fragile. 

To be frank, given his abilities. I'd rather NE just stand pat. 

If they are brining in a vet, I would want a 'value' vet, who is good for chemistry, etc, and cheap. Or I would want a legitimate game changing threat, who would start regardless of what the rookies do. 

Adding a guy like him, to this volatile mix, seems like asking for trouble. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

You mean like Welker did to win the superbowl against the Giants? Oh, but wait...

Yep much happier with Amendola. It's almost impossible to miss a catch on the bench.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

HE WENT TO RUTGERS.  SIGN THIS BEAST IMMEDIATELY.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:

Ne's offense will be new to him. Not as new as it is to NCAA players like Dobson, Thompkins, and Boyce, but new. 

If they are brining in a vet, I would want a 'value' vet, who is good for chemistry, etc, and cheap. Or I would want a legitimate game changing threat, who would start regardless of what the rookies do. 

Yeah I can agree with this. Not sure I'd want another injury prone player to the mix but I do think they need to at least bring in another vet and take some pressure off of Edelman and esp the rooks. Hopefully they have resolve but don't want it to turn into a Bard situation and have the kids turn into mental cases by tossing them in the fire too quickly 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

Rutgers Product, 30th pick of the 2009 draft, 6'3"and 4.47 in the 40 yd dash.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

You mean like Boyce? 

Boyce is a heck of a lot closer than Britt would be.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

Yep much happier with Amendola. It's almost impossible to miss a catch on the bench.

Now you are learning! See, you can replace someone that catches the ball when they get injured with someone else that catches the ball, but someone that drops the ball...not so much.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

HE WENT TO RUTGERS.  SIGN THIS BEAST IMMEDIATELY.

Haha. Touche. Boston Scarlet Knights. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Based on what I've read the guy strikes me as too big a P.I.T.A. for this team.  Plenty of talent but personality like a bent sh*tcan.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Yeah I can agree with this. Not sure I'd want another injury prone player to the mix but I do think they need to at least bring in another vet and take some pressure off of Edelman and esp the rooks. Hopefully they have resolve but don't want it to turn into a Bard situation and have the kids turn into mental cases by tossing them in the fire too quickly 

Hey PE,

I agree with a lot of what you are saying. 

Yeah, Bard comes to mind immediately when I think about this. Baseball is different than football, but the principle of overloading a rookie or young player with expecations and adjustments is the same. Bard, who was good out of the gate, then struggled, was on the receiving end of consistent and urgent corrections to his mechanics. He would have to change them, often times in games and under pressure, always between appearances, and he wasn't given the time to develop a solid muscle memory for his stable of pitches. There is a breaking point where too much information, too quickly, can actually hurt a player's ability to retain information. Bard reached that limit, and now he is a reclamation project in the minors. 

I'll liken it to students cramming. When students study for a big exam all night, it is bad. Even if they retain enough information in the short term to pass, they will have worse percentages than if they had studied slowly. And even if they answer a question correctly once on test day, it's more likely that they'll forget it later. If the rookies are just making mistakes (and they are) over and over, but you keep sending them immediately onto the field afterward, it can be actually r3tard their growth, because it's exactly like cramming.  

For NE I guess, anyone mediocre would do as a stand in WR. Even a redux of Molasses Mike for a week or three. It's like this: get someone to stand there and be a WR if these kids need to come off the field for a few series a game. I get why Britt is attractive. He has a lot of skills. But in this mix, with NE's needs, he is a no-go for me. NE needs a durable, cheap, vanilla, nice-guy WR (imo) on the short term. In last year's roster, he might have been a way better add, but as it stands for me:

1.) Britt is a bad fit: He is a lot of flash on deep routes. What NE needs is a steady 'chains' guy without DA and Gronk. They aren't looking to add a guy like Britt, who is a nice piece to add to a complete roster that is missing a deep threat. 

2.) He is a bad value (likely) because he is a deep threat. Players like that tend to have artificially inflated value as against how many plays they actually are going to get for an offense that is struggling to merely make first downs. I know this isn't always the case, but it's often the case. If Britt adds 700 yards and 4 TDs average to an offense at 18YPC, he'll usually make more than a WR who adds 700 yards and 4 TDs at a modest 13 YPC. The difference is the 13YPC will get you a lot more catches and conversions, that will allow you to build experience and rhythm as a team. 

3.) He has attitude issues (bad for rookies).

4.) He is injury prone, when NE needs a durable guy. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Hey PE,

I agree with a lot of what you are saying. 

Yeah, Bard comes to mind immediately when I think about this. Baseball is different than football, but the principle of overloading a rookie or young player with expecations and adjustments is the same. Bard, who was good out of the gate, then struggled, was on the receiving end of consistent and urgent corrections to his mechanics. He would have to change them, often times in games and under pressure, always between appearances, and he wasn't given the time to develop a solid muscle memory for his stable of pitches. There is a breaking point where too much information, too quickly, can actually hurt a player's ability to retain information. Bard reached that limit, and now he is a reclamation project in the minors. 

I'll liken it to students cramming. When students study for a big exam all night, it is bad. Even if they retain enough information in the short term to pass, they will have worse percentages than if they had studied slowly. And even if they answer a question correctly once on test day, it's more likely that they'll forget it later. If the rookies are just making mistakes (and they are) over and over, but you keep sending them immediately onto the field afterward, it can be actually r3tard their growth, because it's exactly like cramming.  

For NE I guess, anyone mediocre would do as a stand in WR. Even a redux of Molasses Mike for a week or three. It's like this: get someone to stand there and be a WR if these kids need to come off the field for a few series a game. I get why Britt is attractive. He has a lot of skills. But in this mix, with NE's needs, he is a no-go for me. NE needs a durable, cheap, vanilla, nice-guy WR (imo) on the short term. In last year's roster, he might have been a way better add, but as it stands for me:

1.) Britt is a bad fit: He is a lot of flash on deep routes. What NE needs is a steady 'chains' guy without DA and Gronk. They aren't looking to add a guy like Britt, who is a nice piece to add to a complete roster that is missing a deep threat. 

2.) He is a bad value (likely) because he is a deep threat. Players like that tend to have artificially inflated value as against how many plays they actually are going to get for an offense that is struggling to merely make first downs. I know this isn't always the case, but it's often the case. If Britt adds 700 yards and 4 TDs average to an offense at 18YPC, he'll usually make more than a WR who adds 700 yards and 4 TDs at a modest 13 YPC. The difference is the 13YPC will get you a lot more catches and conversions, that will allow you to build experience and rhythm as a team. 

3.) He has attitude issues (bad for rookies).

4.) He is injury prone, when NE needs a durable guy. 

Yeah, I just think it might be a bit late in the game to find that type of WR you are looking for. For me that type of guy might have been a Kevin Walter for a year. At this point though I'm not sure who was left. That was my biggest complaint about the WRs this year. Not that they picked Amendola over Welker, I've said from the beginning, I was ok with that move provided they picked up a durable solid vet who can be a #2/3 type of WR. That's been my gripe since the beginning and now I'm worried that this groin injury is going to linger through the season. They should have shut him down for the first couple games when he injured it in the preseason but I think both he and BB took offense to the injury prone questions and they both wanted to prove something. I just hope they give him as much time as needed to get back and not push him too quickly (like having him try to practice right now, seriously why?)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Yeah, I just think it might be a bit late in the game to find that type of WR you are looking for. For me that type of guy might have been a Kevin Walter for a year. At this point though I'm not sure who was left. That was my biggest complaint about the WRs this year. Not that they picked Amendola over Welker, I've said from the beginning, I was ok with that move provided they picked up a durable solid vet who can be a #2/3 type of WR. That's been my gripe since the beginning and now I'm worried that this groin injury is going to linger through the season. They should have shut him down for the first couple games when he injured it in the preseason but I think both he and BB took offense to the injury prone questions and they both wanted to prove something. I just hope they give him as much time as needed to get back and not push him too quickly (like having him try to practice right now, seriously why?)

[/QUOTE]

yeah man, I hear you. 

Also, if Kevin Walter were available, I'd use my Jet Blue miles to fly a NE scout out the get him. I also thought they should have kicked the wheels on Davone Bess. 

He was super cheap, @ 4yrs/$14mil. He is a veteran: 5 seasons and counting. He is consistent: 50+ every year, 60-70 catch average. He is versatile: 5'10" and plays slot and X-WR, and does PR/KR duties. He is durable: he has missed just three games his entire career. 

To re-illustrate my same point: he averages about what Britt averages for total production. 

When Britt hits FA ... he'll get around double (give or take) what Bess gets yearly. 

But someone like Bess (who isn't an FA) would have been a coup for NE this offseason, right now, as they are currently constituted. NE could have emerged from camp with three starting WRs in Edelman, Bess, Amendola, for the rookies to play through, and the insurance they so obvisouly ended up needing. 

But then, NE also, likely, hopes to transition back to a 2TE system of some kind I'm guessing. That might be why they didn't go whole hog on WRs. I don't know. 

But when I look the roster up and down, I question the 30 or so Lbers and DE's on the roster, half of whom haven't even played more than a few snaps, while the rookies look like a couple salamis hung out to cure. 

Sections
Shortcuts