Kenny Britt

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: Kenny Britt

In response to zbellino's comment:

yeah man, I hear you. 

Also, if Kevin Walter were available, I'd use my Jet Blue miles to fly a NE scout out the get him. I also thought they should have kicked the wheels on Davone Bess. 

He was super cheap, @ 4yrs/$14mil. He is a veteran: 5 seasons and counting. He is consistent: 50+ every year, 60-70 catch average. He is versatile: 5'10" and plays slot and X-WR, and does PR/KR duties. He is durable: he has missed just three games his entire career. 

To re-illustrate my same point: he averages about what Britt averages for total production. 

When Britt hits FA ... he'll get around double (give or take) what Bess gets yearly. 

But someone like Bess (who isn't an FA) would have been a coup for NE this offseason, right now, as they are currently constituted. NE could have emerged from camp with three starting WRs in Edelman, Bess, Amendola, for the rookies to play through, and the insurance they so obvisouly ended up needing. 

But then, NE also, likely, hopes to transition back to a 2TE system of some kind I'm guessing. That might be why they didn't go whole hog on WRs. I don't know. 

But when I look the roster up and down, I question the 30 or so Lbers and DE's on the roster, half of whom haven't even played more than a few snaps, while the rookies look like a couple salamis hung out to cure. 

Bess would have been a good pick up too. Funny how one half way decent solid WR could have made this WR group look so much different. I know some have gotten on me for saying $1mil more but I do think what we are talking about was their plan all along but that guy was Sanders and instead of making sure they got him they tried to get cute with the contract fighting for the deal and not the player. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

No thanks.

A single catch or two made that barely ended on the ground.

A single same page mind-meld or two between Brady and his rooks.

A single pass or two more on target by Brady to wide open receiver.

Any combination of a couple of those things and there is so much less panic going on right now.

I am perfectly happy to see them stay the course and work through it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

In response to Low-FB-IQ's comment:

No thanks.

Any combination of a couple of those things and there is so much less panic going on right now.

That is where it's at

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from andyp7862. Show andyp7862's posts

No thanks.

Oh I agree. By no means am I panicked. You can see any of the threads about our WR corps and all the whining; you won't find me posting there. Still, at any position if an opportunity presents itself, I think it's worth discussing.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from theshinez. Show theshinez's posts

No thanks.

Will you be saying that when we lose a couple of games in a row due to rookies' dropped passes when we play a few good teams?  Probably not.  I'd take Britt in a second!  When well motivated, he is a really good WR.  Look at what happened with Dillon/Moss.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from theshinez. Show theshinez's posts

For a 5th or 6th Rounder that is!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

No thanks.

and if I had just picked a couple different numbers in the powerball I'd be rich right now. But, that didn't happen and nether did what you said. You have to take it for what it is because yes a couple extra catches would make a difference but a couple extra drops would mean we'd be 0-2 and I'd think you'd feel differently too. These hypothetical arguments never work because reality of what happened overrules what could have happened.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:

In response to PatsEng's comment:

[QUOTE]

Yeah, I just think it might be a bit late in the game to find that type of WR you are looking for. For me that type of guy might have been a Kevin Walterfor a year. At this point though I'm not sure who was left. That was my biggest complaint about the WRs this year. Not that they picked Amendola over Welker, I've said from the beginning, I was ok with that move provided they picked up a durable solid vet who can be a #2/3 type of WR. That's been my gripe since the beginning and now I'm worried that this groin injury is going to linger through the season. They should have shut him down for the first couple games when he injured it in the preseason but I think both he and BB took offense to the injury prone questions and they both wanted to prove something. I just hope they give him as much time as needed to get back and not push him too quickly (like having him try to practice right now, seriously why?)

[/QUOTE]

yeah man, I hear you. 

Also, if Kevin Walter were available, I'd use my Jet Blue miles to fly a NE scout out the get him. I also thought they should have kicked the wheels on Davone Bess. 

He was super cheap, @ 4yrs/$14mil. He is a veteran: 5 seasons and counting. He is consistent: 50+ every year, 60-70 catch average. He is versatile: 5'10" and plays slot and X-WR, and does PR/KR duties. He is durable: he has missed just three games his entire career. 

To re-illustrate my same point: he averages about what Britt averages for total production. 

When Britt hits FA ... he'll get around double (give or take) what Bess gets yearly. 

But someone like Bess (who isn't an FA) would have been a coup for NE this offseason, right now, as they are currently constituted. NE could have emerged from camp with three starting WRs in Edelman, Bess, Amendola, for the rookies to play through, and the insurance they so obvisouly ended up needing. 

But then, NE also, likely, hopes to transition back to a 2TE system of some kind I'm guessing. That might be why they didn't go whole hog on WRs. I don't know. 

But when I look the roster up and down, I question the 30 or so Lbers and DE's on the roster, half of whom haven't even played more than a few snaps, while the rookies look like a couple salamis hung out to cure. 

[/QUOTE]

Bess would have been a solid pick up. 

you really think the pats are primed to return to that dynamic 2 TE system? Where is the other dynamic TE we need to run it? Sudfeld? Hooman? Sounds a bit iffy. Neither of those guys (yet) are dual threat weapons. I think they will run some of it, but I don't think nearly as much as we saw with Hern here. 

How dare you question the great one (sarcasm)! Going into the season I thought our lb corps would be elite. Not so convinced after 2 Games. Spikes has barely shown up, Collins can't even get on the field, and I really hoped to see more of fletcher....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

I think this is an interesting idea.  Of course there are a few Red Flags with Britt.  There were with Talib, too when we traded for him last year.  Sometimes it pays to take a small gamble.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Every one of our rookie receivers has more upside than Kenny Britt, yeah, I said it.

Also who would you cut to bring this guy onboard?  This is the definition of grasping at straws.  

I would exercise patience, Brady made a point this week of saying how with a short week of practice last week the offense, specifically the receivers didn't have the opportunity to work on detail oriented routes etc... I'm sure it was a point of emphasis this week and they'll look much better against the Bucs.  

It still may not be perfect but you'll see progress.  We now have a defense that can hold off teams while the rookie WR's learn.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSPCB73. Show RSPCB73's posts

Wozzy, I couldn't agree more with your post.  We need to be more patient with the rookie WRs. The short week certainly did not help with the preparation for the rookies. Against the Bucs, they will have had more time with TB, and have an opportunity to execute better while facing a very good defense.

RS in 2013 World Series, Pats in 2014 Super Bow!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In response to theshinez's comment:

[QUOTE]

No thanks.

Will you be saying that when we lose a couple of games in a row due to rookies' dropped passes when we play a few good teams?  Probably not.  I'd take Britt in a second!  When well motivated, he is a really good WR.  Look at what happened with Dillon/Moss.

[/QUOTE]

The game win or loss is NEVER boiled down to a single play. 

..and yes I will be saying it. It is the right thing to do in my opinion. You should stick to thinking for yourself instead of attempting to speculate what I would think.

My expectations have not changed since the start of the season. I do not ride the emotional roalercoaster of a preseaon good or bad game or single good or bad play. For those that do, hey knock yourself out but that is not my thing.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Section136. Show Section136's posts

In response to theshinez's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

No thanks.

[/QUOTE]

The game win or loss is NEVER boiled down to a single play. 

..and yes I will be saying it. It is the right thing to do in my opinion. You should stick to thinking for yourself instead of attempting to speculate what I would think.

My expectations have not changed since the start of the season. I do not ride the emotional roalercoaster of a preseaon good or bad game or single good or bad play. For those that do, hey knock yourself out but that is not my thing.

[/QUOTE]

Thank you! I'll be right next to you. I believe this is a good group. If they develope like I think they will, we will be set for years at this position! I for one can wait to see it play out. Thanks for posting!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

[QUOTE]

No thanks.

and if I had just picked a couple different numbers in the powerball I'd be rich right now. But, that didn't happen and nether did what you said. You have to take it for what it is because yes a couple extra catches would make a difference but a couple extra drops would mean we'd be 0-2 and I'd think you'd feel differently too. These hypothetical arguments never work because reality of what happened overrules what could have happened.

[/QUOTE]

You are missing the point.

The point is not that "outcomes" could be different. The point is that perceptions of the avg fan would be.

The average fan often sways emotionally and dramatically over mostly irrelevent things compared to the big picture.

The Pats are 2-0 and everyone is panicing. If they played better and the Pats are still 2-0 people would not be, even though in the big picture they are still 2-0(the same outcome). If they played great but were 0-2 people would still be panicing, imo.

To use your example, and I do not play powerball so it might not be a good example. If I played, my expectations would be in check, play for fun and not expecting to win. Many people if they followed along, if possible, as numbers picked would then change expectations as they got every number so far and waited for the last number to be picked. I would not. I would still assume I would be losing and when the last number did not come , whatever, no big deal.

Same for the Sox this season. I went into the season as a fan saying its a transition year and whatever they do is gravy. Just because they might end up with the best record in baseball for the regular season has not changed my expectation or outlook at all. If they get swept in their first round and done it is still a widely successful season to me.

Just about everyone expected a lot of trial and tribulations for this offense this season. Lots and lots of growing pains. WIth the hope they they could survive, for the most part early on until things started to come together slowly. AND that was WITH people being healthy.

Now that those opinions and thoughts have come to fruition AND there have been a couple of injuries on top of it, it is as if people never had those original thoughts to begin with.

Everyone has their own way of following along, I simply don't subscribe to that thought process.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

No thanks.

[/QUOTE]

The point is not that "outcomes" could be different. The point is that perceptions of the avg fan would be.

The average fan often sways emotionally and dramatically over mostly irrelevent things compared to the big picture.

The Pats are 2-0 and everyone is panicing. If they played better and the Pats are still 2-0 people would not be, even though in the big picture they are still 2-0(the same outcome). If they played great but were 0-2 people would still be panicing, imo.

To use your example, and I do not play powerball so it might not be a good example. If I played, my expectations would be in check, play for fun and not expecting to win. Many people if they followed along, if possible, as numbers picked would then change expectations as they got every number so far and waited for the last number to be picked. I would not. I would still assume I would be losing and when the last number did not come , whatever, no big deal.

Same for the Sox this season. I went into the season as a fan saying its a transition year and whatever they do is gravy. Just because they might end up with the best record in baseball for the regular season has not changed my expectation or outlook at all. If they get swept in their first round and done it is still a widely successful season to me.

Just about everyone expected a lot of trial and tribulations for this offense this season. Lots and lots of growing pains. WIth the hope they they could survive, for the most part early on until things started to come together slowly. AND that was WITH people being healthy.

Now that those opinions and thoughts have come to fruition AND there have been a couple of injuries on top of it, it is as if people never had those original thoughts to begin with.

Everyone has their own way of following along, I simply don't subscribe to that thought process.

[/QUOTE]

But these are rooks the expectation should be that rooks take a year to develop at minimum. Going by those expectations there should be plans in place that you don't have to rely on them. Going by what the Pats did, their expectations for the rooks are that they should be productive within that year period. So if we are setting expectations then we should set what the team has set which is an advanced time table. Now even in that advanced time table there is a learning curve. Running wrong routes will happen, not getting both feet down happens, not knowing how to properly box out a player alright fine provided they don't repeat these mistakes. But, one thing that can't happen is the amount of drops and the jitters they've shown so far. You can afford to have those if the expectation is that their first year is a development year, but if your expectation is that they need to be productive by the end of the year then there isn't room for jitters when the lights go on. Not to mention you don't want to ruin them mentally by putting this much pressure on them causing those drops and creating doubt in their heads. So, as I said before the Pats FO should have planned better and had a durable vet in if they were going to go the route of Amendola. Now I think they are stuck which could hinder and hurt the rooks development moving forward (if they continue with the case of the jitters)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

No thanks.

But these are rooks the expectation should be that rooks take a year to develop at minimum. Going by those expectations there should be plans in place that you don't have to rely on them. Going by what the Pats did, their expectations for the rooks are that they should be productive within that year period. So if we are setting expectations then we should set what the team has set which is an advanced time table. Now even in that advanced time table there is a learning curve. Running wrong routes will happen, not getting both feet down happens, not knowing how to properly box out a player alright fine provided they don't repeat these mistakes. But, one thing that can't happen is the amount of drops and the jitters they've shown so far. You can afford to have those if the expectation is that their first year is a development year, but if your expectation is that they need to be productive by the end of the year then there isn't room for jitters when the lights go on.Not to mention you don't want to ruin them mentally by putting this much pressure on them causing those drops and creating doubt in their heads. So, as I said before the Pats FO should have planned better and had a durable vet in if they were going to go the route of Amendola. Now I think they are stuck which could hinder and hurt the rooks development moving forward (if they continue with the case of the jitters)

You are forgetting the Hernandez situation a lil bit I think? AND the fact they brought in "other" veterans.

FA and draft had finished before the Hernandez thing hit the fan didn't it? Frankly I don't know but I think folks on here have been saying that.

I don't think they were expecting to rely on them this much originally. Not from the start.

Honeslty if you had Hernandez, Amendola, and Edelman would we have seen TWO of the rookies as much as we have? If even ONE vertan was able to beat out a rookie would we be seeing ANY rookie as much as we have? Now add in Vereen as well.

There are only so many roster spots per position. If you are keeping other WR's over them then you are basically cutting them.

Heck even of the rookies the UDFA WR is the one who has connecting with TB's way of thinking the fastest. They probably were not anticipating or expecting that either??

Lastly, How do you figure you can't expect jitters when the lights go on in the beginning if you care most that they will be productive by the end of the season, after Thanksgiving is the cliche? I'm not sure I follow that logic at all. They could be awful now and also at the end or awful now and doing just fine or better at the end. I don't think what is going on now is necessarily any indicator of where they will be after Thanksgiving.

The most important thing is the 2-0 start was against division opponents. Even if there record does not end up being great but they are able to manage winning the division, can be healthy at the end with a much improved rookie receiving class then they have a "chance", to quote Seau. Just get in the dance and have a chance.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

You are forgetting the Hernandez situation a lil bit I think? AND the fact they brought in "other" veterans.

FA and draft had finished before the Hernandez thing hit the fan didn't it? Frankly I don't know but I think folks on here have been saying that.

I don't think they were expecting to rely on them this much originally. Not from the start.

Honeslty if you had Hernandez, Amendola, and Edelman would we have seen TWO of the rookies as much as we have? If even ONE vertan was able to beat out a rookie would we be seeing ANY rookie as much as we have? Now add in Vereen as well.

There are only so many roster spots per position. If you are keeping other WR's over them then you are basically cutting them.

Heck even of the rookies the UDFA WR is the one who has connecting with TB's way of thinking the fastest. They probably were not anticipating or expecting that either??

Lastly, How do you figure you can't expect jitters when the lights go on in the beginning if you care most that they will be productive by the end of the season, after Thanksgiving is the cliche? I'm not sure I follow that logic at all. They could be awful now and also at the end or awful now and doing just fine or better at the end. I don't think what is going on now is necessarily any indicator of where they will be after Thanksgiving.

The most important thing is the 2-0 start was against division opponents. Even if there record does not end up being great but they are able to manage winning the division, can be healthy at the end with a much improved rookie receiving class then they have a "chance", to quote Seau. Just get in the dance and have a chance.

I'm not forgeting Hernandez. Sure it would have changed the game but when you are relying on a injury prone player you bring in a durable solid player to back them up. That should of happened during the first FA period well before the Hernandez situation. Truthfully I don't blame them for the TE situation. That was completely out of their control and looked like a position of strength going in. However, the WR core I completely blame them for. They should have had a proper WR in. As I said with Z I think that was their plan with Sanders but got to cute and went for the deal not for the player. As for the vets they brought in yeah.... Really are you going to claim those are really players to compete for a spot? Jones was already on one leg, Jenkins with his bad knees was nicknamed molassis and was dumped by a Min team that desperately needed WRs, and Hawkins wasn't anything better than any other JAG they could have brought in. There's a difference between bringing in vets and bringing in the right vets and clearly they didn't even come close to bringing in the right vets considering none of them made it past the 70 man cut.

The only reason the UDFA is connecting with Brady the fastest because Dobson and Boyce haven't done anything and when you only have 1 other WR to throw to you have no choice but to through to Thompkins.

As for you only have so many spots, you don't want to waste a spot but I wouldn't say a durable backup WR is a wasted spot since you are relying on an injury prone WR to begin with. If you are asking who I would dump? Chris White, we have LB depth and I on't think he's good enough so I'd rather have the vet depth with lots of rooks over keeping an average STer from Buf?

If you were counting on Hernandez, Amendola, Edelman to all stay healthy you were fooling yourself. All three have issues staying on the field so you wouldn't plan on a vet backup? That makes no sense because you'll eventually pay for it.

As for your last statements, you are rolling the dice that rook WRs (who historically don't make the big jump until year two) will "much improve" is a huge gamble. One that lower teams and teams in complete rebuilds can take but you can't leave that much chance to a SB contending team. 

Lastly, you do expect jitters but jitters when you don't need to count on them can be overcome, jitters when you are consistently feeding them the ball in order to win the game can get into their heads and really hurt their development as it continues. Much easier to get over those things when you aren't relied on but when you are it can build and ruin a career.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

I'm not forgeting Hernandez. Sure it would have changed the game but when you are relying on a injury prone player you bring in a durable solid player to back them up. That should of happened during the first FA period well before the Hernandez situation. Truthfully I don't blame them for the TE situation. That was completely out of their control and looked like a position of strength going in. However, the WR core I completely blame them for. They should have had a proper WR in. As I said with Z I think that was their plan with Sanders but got to cute and went for the deal not for the player. As for the vets they brought in yeah.... Really are you going to claim those are really players to compete for a spot? Jones was already on one leg, Jenkins with his bad knees was nicknamed molassis and was dumped by a Min team that desperately needed WRs, and Hawkins wasn't anything better than any other JAG they could have brought in. There's a difference between bringing in vets and bringing in the right vets and clearly they didn't even come close to bringing in the right vets considering none of them made it past the 70 man cut.

The only reason the UDFA is connecting with Brady the fastest because Dobson and Boyce haven't done anything and when you only have 1 other WR to throw to you have no choice but to through to Thompkins.

As for you only have so many spots, you don't want to waste a spot but I wouldn't say a durable backup WR is a wasted spot since you are relying on an injury prone WR to begin with. If you are asking who I would dump? Chris White, we have LB depth and I on't think he's good enough so I'd rather have the vet depth with lots of rooks over keeping an average STer from Buf?

If you were counting on Hernandez, Amendola, Edelman to all stay healthy you were fooling yourself. All three have issues staying on the field so you wouldn't plan on a vet backup? That makes no sense because you'll eventually pay for it.

As for your last statements, you are rolling the dice that rook WRs (who historically don't make the big jump until year two) will "much improve" is a huge gamble. One that lower teams and teams in complete rebuilds can take but you can't leave that much chance to a SB contending team. 

Lastly, you do expect jitters but jitters when you don't need to count on them can be overcome, jitters when you are consistently feeding them the ball in order to win the game can get into their heads and really hurt their development as it continues. Much easier to get over those things when you aren't relied on but when you are it can build and ruin a career.

I totally understand your strong feelings about the guys they brought in who got cut in favor of the rookies. I thought they might go after the Jennings but then again you are still in "your" injury situation. 

So I admit I though they might consider Jennings but not for big money but even if they did I have to assume he would NOT be a "proper" vet with the games he has missed and injures he had been dealing with?? I believe you also were one of the guys hot for David Nelson weren't you? Is he injured or signed by anyone? He was coming of an injury wasn't he? I am not sure how durable the WR position really is?

Now as you often say, we are left with odds. What are the odds that ANY "proper" vet that meets with your approval would actually get or pick up the Patriots offensive system? It would seem 50/50 from previous experience with some WR vets getting the Patriots system while others have not. The only ones to seem to have a better than 50/50 chance have been WRs with previous experience in the system somewhere. Then even IF the vets did get it, the odds are more strongly in favor that it might still have taken them "some" time to get fully on the same page as Brady.

So they actually brought in a vet I would consider mostly pretty durable for a WR, the position in general is NOT a durable one. Michael Jenkins had two back to back 11 game seasons but before that and also last year he's played in just about every game of his career missing maybe 1 game a season on avg. I would consider that pretty durable by WR standards. However, like I expressed with the aging car example, even though previously mostly durable, the odds are against a continuation of it as it ages. PLus if he was only marjonally better or just equal to a rookie, would you have kept him just to try and make it better for the first few games even though your expecation is that he would be surpassed by the rookies sooner rather than later?

Again let's look at the odds here. You say anyone would be fooling themselves that Hernandez, Amendola, Edelman, and (I'll throw in) Vereen would go uninjured for the season. I would AGREE with that statement. However, I don't think that is what they thought. I would suspect that they thought, and still feel, that the odds of losing 3 out of 4 of those players straight out of the gate were a lot less likely to happen than they were to happen. I know I would! A possibility sure but a likelhood as far as odds go, no I would not speculate to that. I also do not classify Hernandez as strickly a TE. I have always thought of him as much a WR as TE. If, and I have no idea how they think of him, they thought anything remotely similar than you can't really forgive them for only the TE position and not the WR one as well. They brought the TE's back that knew the system. One got beat out by a rookie.

I think your discounting of Thompkins receiving praise from Brady for usually doing the right thing and being in the right place is a bit unjustified. First he beat out a number of verterans, "proper" or not, then he beat out two WR drafted higher than him. Even if he originally was getting some opportunities because there was not a lot of established depth in front of him, you still have to do the job and get it done when you get those opportunities to keep it.

To me that is like some of the posters on this board completely discounting what the defense has done because they have played two rookie QB's and, so far, weaker offenses. The bottom line is that it is all we have to go on right now. The defense was suppose to shutdown those offenses for the most part, and they did that. So they at least get credit for doing what they were suppose to, so far. Thompkins gets a lil tip of the cap for gaining the early acceptance of Brady even if he may not have otherwise even had the opportunity. That is just how I think on things.

As far as the WR's jitters getting in their head? I don't, who knows. I have not really ever subscribed to that theory. Let's hope not.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

I dont think this blog could handle another wr who is injury prone. Lol

If he is a head case we don't want him -

a Lott could possibly  depend on how the other RU grads talk

When the trade line comes it may more depend on what is going on here

and lastly is he technically a good wr? If he isn't a good route runner forget it

Pat's Fan lost in Jet Land

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

So I admit I though they might consider Jennings but not for big money but even if they did I have to assume he would NOT be a "proper" vet with the games he has missed and injures he had been dealing with?? I believe you also were one of the guys hot for David Nelson weren't you? Is he injured or signed by anyone? He was coming of an injury wasn't he? I am not sure how durable the WR position really is?

Now as you often say, we are left with odds. What are the odds that ANY "proper" vet that meets with your approval would actually get or pick up the Patriots offensive system? It would seem 50/50 from previous experience with some WR vets getting the Patriots system while others have not. The only ones to seem to have a better than 50/50 chance have been WRs with previous experience in the system somewhere. Then even IF the vets did get it, the odds are more strongly in favor that it might still have taken them "some" time to get fully on the same page as Brady.

So they actually brought in a vet I would consider mostly pretty durable for a WR, the position in general is NOT a durable one. Michael Jenkins had two back to back 11 game seasons but before that and also last year he's played in just about every game of his career missing maybe 1 game a season on avg. I would consider that pretty durable by WR standards. However, like I expressed with the aging car example, even though previously mostly durable, the odds are against a continuation of it as it ages. PLus if he was only marjonally better or just equal to a rookie, would you have kept him just to try and make it better for the first few games even though your expecation is that he would be surpassed by the rookies sooner rather than later?

Again let's look at the odds here. You say anyone would be fooling themselves that Hernandez, Amendola, Edelman, and (I'll throw in) Vereen would go uninjured for the season. I would AGREE with that statement. However, I don't think that is what they thought. I would suspect that they thought, and still feel, that the odds of losing 3 out of 4 of those players straight out of the gate were a lot less likely to happen than they were to happen. I know I would! A possibility sure but a likelhood as far as odds go, no I would not speculate to that. I also do not classify Hernandez as strickly a TE. I have always thought of him as much a WR as TE. If, and I have no idea how they think of him, they thought anything remotely similar than you can't really forgive them for only the TE position and not the WR one as well. They brought the TE's back that knew the system. One got beat out by a rookie.

I think your discounting of Thompkins receiving praise from Brady for usually doing the right thing and being in the right place is a bit unjustified. First he beat out a number of verterans, "proper" or not, then he beat out two WR drafted higher than him. Even if he originally was getting some opportunities because there was not a lot of established depth in front of him, you still have to do the job and get it done when you get those opportunities to keep it.

To me that is like some of the posters on this board completely discounting what the defense has done because they have played two rookie QB's and, so far, weaker offenses. The bottom line is that it is all we have to go on right now. The defense was suppose to shutdown those offenses for the most part, and they did that. So they at least get credit for doing what they were suppose to, so far. Thompkins gets a lil tip of the cap for gaining the early acceptance of Brady even if he may not have otherwise even had the opportunity. That is just how I think on things.

As far as the WR's jitters getting in their head? I don't, who knows. I have not really ever subscribed to that theory. Let's hope not.

I was never really a Jennings guy. I thought if for the right price I'd like him but I knew he was going to cost more than they would pay.

I also wanted Nelson, I fully admit, but that was prior to when they signed Jones and Amendola. I do think you can absorb and try out injury prone players. Doesn't hurt to bring them in camp or even on the 53man, provided and it's a big one that you have someone durable who can carry the load or take over if they get injured. Nelson would have been a #3 WR so if he got injured it wouldn't have been a larger drop off. However, once it was clear they were moving forward with Amendola as their #1 I jumped off the Nelson band wagon in favor of a more durable guy.

The guys I wanted were Sanders, Welker (honestly thought there was plenty of room for both Welker and Amendola even back then), Walters (seems like a good #3/4 option as a durable vet), and even though I didn't think about it as Z mentioned Bess would have been a good pickup. All of which were productive vets who didn't have "freak" or nagging injury issues year to year.

As for Jenkins, from the day they signed him I was scratching my head. He looked done after his surgery and the only reason he got play last year was there was no one else in Min. I didn't like the signing and the only time I even thought he'd have an outside shot at the 53 was after OTA's with good reports but that changed quickly after the first preseason game.

What I don't get is why they didn't think 3 of 4 would get hurt. All the guys listed missed multple games at times. Some of them missing half seasons or more. Chances are all the injures would overlap at some point. Even if 2 are out that's still a pretty major lose in production. Why fill your starting lineup with injury risks and hope that most of the time more than half of them will be on the field. That's just poor planning.

With Thompkins, I think he has ability to be a good #2 maybe even a #1, however, he needs a lot of work before he reaches that point. Don't get me wrong when I say he is the only one to throw to but if this was 06' for instance he might be the 3rd or even 4th WR on the team, not the #2 WR. That's what I mean. He's not starter quality yet and clearly nether are the other rooks. So being the best option left doesn't always mean you are a good option at this point.

Not sure were the D came into the discussion. I'm still in a holding pattern with them until Atl. They did what they were suppose to do but they haven't faced a playoff caliber O yet either. So while I like what I'm seeing I'm waiting until Atl to make a comment towards their abilities.