Kerry Rhodes and Bernard Pollard were better fits than Adrian Wilson

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Re: Kerry Rhodes and Bernard Pollard were better fits than Adrian Wilson

Something about Pollard smells. He has been on a ton of team but is fairly talented, why is that?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

Something about Pollard smells. He has been on a ton of team but is fairly talented, why is that?

he is toxic in the locker room apparently....i still would have liked to see the pats sign him, but im not going to complain about wilson.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to UD6's comment:

Who really knows which of these will be better.  Wilson fits Belichick's MO.  Aging veteran with a solid track record.  The issue is that it every time he's done this the past last half decade, the acquisitions haven't worked out.

RESPONSE: Stop babbling!! "The issue is that it every time he's done this the past half decade, the acquisitions haven't worked out." LOL!!! What "aging veterans" are you referring to, whom the Pats have brought in during the past 5 years? Other than Sean Springs back in 2009, there's none that I'm aware of. The issue here is that the Pats signed a 33 year old relic...when 28 year old Bernard Pollard, who led the SB champion Ravens in tackles last season, was available.   

Regardless, the pats have a good enough core b/c the personnel choices have been solid enough.

RESPONSE: Again...you show your ignorance! The Pats' secondary sucks. It sucks precisely because of the poor personnel choices that BB has made. The Pats' #1 draft choice in 2007, FS Brandon Meriweather, bombed...and is a Redskin, only by the grace of taking a recent pay cut. CB Terrence Wheatly, the Pats' 62nd overall pick in 2008, is out of football. Injury prone SS Patrick Chung, the Pats' 34th overall pick in 2009, couldn't cover a jar of jelly. He's now an Eagle. CB Darius Butler, the Pats 41st overall pick in 2009, was awful. He's was released and, I believe, is still with your Colts. The Pats' 33rd overall pick in 2011, CB Ras-I Dowling, can't get on the field due to a littany of injuries. The Pats 48th overall selection last year, safety Tavon Wilson, appears to be nothing special. By the grace of God, BB scored Aqib Talib for a 4th rounder last year...and Alfonzo Denard in the 7th round, last year. Talib is an UFA. Denard may face a jail sentence...or at least a league suspension.         

The question is, however, are their current choices/decisions the difference between just going to the playoffs and winning the superbowl.

RESPONSE: Do you see 33 year old relic Adrian Wilson, who was being phased out of the Cardinals' "D" last season, as the answer at SS? Or, would 28 year old "Brute Bernand" Pollard have been a better cog?

Tom Brady, nearly alone, will get the pats to the playoffs, especially considering the bumbling others in their division, but do these decisions make you think they are going over the top or just treading water?

RESPONSE: No way that the Pats will sniff another SB until they fix their secondary, and find a consistent pass-rusher.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

I don't want Pollard...not even for FREE!!!

What the FK is the obsession with him? He was involved in 4 significant Patriot injuries, so sign him? We already had Meriweather who could hit hard, but was AWFUL, why sign an older version?

Pollard couldn't stick with KC for god's sake! HE IS NOT GOOD! A.. he does, ALL HE DOES is hit people hard, often illegally. Fk him. Good luck signing on as a backup somewhere.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

Pollard is a big hitter, lousy cover guy, locker room cancer. I wouldn't want him on my team. Kerry Rhodes is OK. Wilson is OK, both are past their prime. Neither is a sure bet. They like Wilson better. You don't. I'm going with them.

Don't Question BB is a Jets fan and a message board cancer, by the way....

Exactly... IMO fit is the last thing that fans can evaluate better than the team leaders themselves. They own the vision for the team and the understanding of the culture. You need to be an insider to evaluate fit. 

Abilities? That's okay for fan banter. It's more subjective. Many here have their own athletic experiences. Most, of course, simply over estimate the scope of relevance of their experiences, but can get a few things right.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from millergrnv. Show millergrnv's posts

In response to DontQuestionBB's comment:

Both Rhodes and certainly Pollard would have been better fits for this NE D.  But for some reason, we go after the benchwarming Wilson who can cover anyone.  Oh well, at least the Pats signed Arrington and got rid of Wes.

Who's to say that the Patriots won't go after the likes of Kerry Rhodes. Free Agency isn't over and there is a draft that is upcoming as well.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

Pollard is a big hitter, lousy cover guy, locker room cancer. I wouldn't want him on my team. Kerry Rhodes is OK. Wilson is OK, both are past their prime. Neither is a sure bet. They like Wilson better. You don't. I'm going with them.

Exactly... IMO fit is the last thing that fans can evaluate better than the team leaders themselves. They own the vision for the team and the understanding of the culture. You need to be an insider to evaluate fit. 

RESPONSE: LOL!!! Yeah, right. Which team won the SB last year? Who led that team in tackles? Who caused RB Stevan Ridley to fumble, and knocked him out of the AFC title game? Which SS makes Wes Welker wake up the the middle of the night, in a cold sweat? Which SS is in his prime, Wilson, or Pollard?

Abilities? That's okay for fan banter. It's more subjective. Many here have their own athletic experiences. Most, of course, simply over estimate the scope of relevance of their experiences, but can get a few things right.

RESPONSE: When does common sense enter into the discussion? Wilson is soon to be 34 years old. Pollard is 28. Which player had a better year last year...Wilson or Pollard? Which player reminds you more of Rodney Harrison, when he first came to NE...the aged Wilson, or Pollard?   

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:

RESPONSE: LOL!!! Yeah, right. Which team won the SB last year? Who led that team in tackles? Who caused RB Stevan Ridley to fumble, and knocked him out of the AFC title game? Which SS makes Wes Welker wake up the the middle of the night, in a cold sweat? Which SS is in his prime, Wilson, or Pollard?

RESPONSE: When does common sense enter into the discussion? Wilson is soon to be 34 years old. Pollard is 28. Which player had a better year last year...Wilson or Pollard? Which player reminds you more of Rodney Harrison, when he first came to NE...the aged Wilson, or Pollard?   

Wilson reminds me of Harrison a helluva lot more than Pollard. 

You're really being outrageous right now.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Re Pollard, he's the football equivalent of Mike Torrez, for those who go back a few years. Right place, right time, marginal talent. Cashed in with the team he beat and lost a lot of ballgames after that. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

In response to dreighver's comment:

Texas Pat is a fantasy football fan, nfl gm/nfl reporter wannabee who probably is a Jets fan. Don't pay him any mind, outrageous statements are his stock in trade. He tends to see a player make one or two good plays against the Pats and states BB was stupid not to sign them. Nevermind that those players weren't very good in any other games in their carreers, BB is just stupid.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Can someone explain the love for Pollard? Is it simply because he took out our players? I honestly don't understand. He's a liability in coverage, doesn't wrap up so tends to bounce off strong players, is a locker room cancer (lead a strike over practice time), and will be on his 4th team in 8 years for a reason. He's the Gregory of SS's. We have Wilson who's a heavy hitter but wraps up and is a leader. Wilson isn't great in coverage anymore but at least gives you as much if not more then Pollard. I'm glad we got Wilson over Pollard

I've said the same thing.  Pollard is a career journeyman with a talent for injuring Patriots.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Who really knows which of these will be better.  Wilson fits Belichick's MO.  Aging veteran with a solid track record.  The issue is that it every time he's done this the past last half decade, the acquisitions haven't worked out.

RESPONSE: Stop babbling!! "The issue is that it every time he's done this the past half decade, the acquisitions haven't worked out." LOL!!! What "aging veterans" are you referring to, whom the Pats have brought in during the past 5 years? Other than Sean Springs back in 2009, there's none that I'm aware of. The issue here is that the Pats signed a 33 year old relic...when 28 year old Bernard Pollard, who led the SB champion Ravens in tackles last season, was available.   

Regardless, the pats have a good enough core b/c the personnel choices have been solid enough.

RESPONSE: Again...you show your ignorance! The Pats' secondary sucks. It sucks precisely because of the poor personnel choices that BB has made. The Pats' #1 draft choice in 2007, FS Brandon Meriweather, bombed...and is a Redskin, only by the grace of taking a recent pay cut. CB Terrence Wheatly, the Pats' 62nd overall pick in 2008, is out of football. Injury prone SS Patrick Chung, the Pats' 34th overall pick in 2009, couldn't cover a jar of jelly. He's now an Eagle. CB Darius Butler, the Pats 41st overall pick in 2009, was awful. He's was released and, I believe, is still with your Colts. The Pats' 33rd overall pick in 2011, CB Ras-I Dowling, can't get on the field due to a littany of injuries. The Pats 48th overall selection last year, safety Tavon Wilson, appears to be nothing special. By the grace of God, BB scored Aqib Talib for a 4th rounder last year...and Alfonzo Denard in the 7th round, last year. Talib is an UFA. Denard may face a jail sentence...or at least a league suspension.         

The question is, however, are their current choices/decisions the difference between just going to the playoffs and winning the superbowl.

RESPONSE: Do you see 33 year old relic Adrian Wilson, who was being phased out of the Cardinals' "D" last season, as the answer at SS? Or, would 28 year old "Brute Bernand" Pollard have been a better cog?

Tom Brady, nearly alone, will get the pats to the playoffs, especially considering the bumbling others in their division, but do these decisions make you think they are going over the top or just treading water?

RESPONSE: No way that the Pats will sniff another SB until they fix their secondary, and find a consistent pass-rusher.

TP - sometimes you are an idiot just for the sake of it, but hey its your world, but lets see -

Springs, A Thomas, Galloway, F. Taylor, Crumpler, Moss (2nd time), W Allen, Stallworth, Lloyd (if they don't keep him), Ocho, Bodden, Haynesworth.  That ought to do it. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

I think TP may be back on the pipe. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Both Rhodes and certainly Pollard would have been better fits for this NE D.  But for some reason, we go after the benchwarming Wilson who can cover anyone.  Oh well, at least the Pats signed Arrington and got rid of Wes.

Don't know about Rhodes...but Pollard was the guy that BB should have signed. Wilson is a relic.

We didn't win Super Bowl's by filling our team with poor leaders, locker room cancers, unintelligent guys, and ultimately, average players.

"We" didn't win SBs with old guys who are washed up, either. You're showing your ignorance. Pollard was a team leader in Baltimore. He's hardly stupid, as you imply. At age 28, he's in his prime...and is a better player than the 34 year old Wilson. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

TP - sometimes you are an idiot just for the sake of it, but hey its your world, but lets see -

Springs, A Thomas, Galloway, F. Taylor, Crumpler, Moss (2nd time), W Allen, Stallworth, Lloyd (if they don't keep him), Ocho, Bodden, Haynesworth.  That ought to do it. 

Talk about idiots...we're talking secondary, fool! Will Allen didn't even make the team Bodden was in his prime. Stick with your Ponies...or that Horseface. Leave discussions about the Patriots to Patriot fans, who have some idea of what they're talking about.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

Don't know about Rhodes...but Pollard was the guy that BB should have signed. Wilson is a relic.

We didn't win Super Bowl's by filling our team with poor leaders, locker room cancers, unintelligent guys, and ultimately, average players.

"We" didn't win SBs with old guys who are washed up, either. You're showing your ignorance. Pollard was a team leader in Baltimore. He's hardly stupid, as you imply. At age 28, he's in his prime...and is a better player than the 34 year old Wilson. 

I'd argue Wilson is still the better player, but that's neither here nor there. What I will say is that Pollard lead a locker room mutiny in Baltimore due to too much practice time. That's not a leader or someone to surround young players with. That's not someone you take on a SB winning team. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

Also, your claim that Wilson is washed up, what are you basing that on? Did you review game tape of him from last season? Are you an NFL scout?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

I think TP may be back on the pipe. 

Is that the best you can do, Dog(ggggg)??? LOL!!!!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gravelten4. Show Gravelten4's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

Lots of opinions out there on virtually every Pats related topic (and some non-Pats related) and I don't see any reluctance at sharing them by any poster on the board.

Now to the basic premise of the thread:  I understand your position, now may I ask why you see it that way?  I happen to think Wilson is an excellent fit, brings much needed veteran leadership and experience and by all accounts still has something left.  There's the basis for my view.  Yours?

surely you know the core group of individuals of which I speak. It was not meant as a generalized statement. It does not take much for some posts to slide into an abyss of septic spew. It only takes two my brother. You been around for enough years to know that. All I was saying...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Also, your claim that Wilson is washed up, what are you basing that on?

RESPONSE: It's based on the fact that the guy will be 34 years old this fall. It's also based on the fact that the Cards were phasing him out of their defense, last year. 

Did you review game tape of him from last season? Are you an NFL scout?

RESPONSE: Are you?? I don't think you need to be Vince Lombardi to know that a guy playing a young mans' game at age 34 is past his prime...especially when he's coming off a bad season. That, compared to a 28 year old terror in his prime, who led the SB champs in tackles last year, and always plays well against the Patriots.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

RESPONSE: It's based on the fact that the guy will be 34 years old this fall. It's also based on the fact that the Cards were phasing him out of their defense, last year. 

RESPONSE: Are you?? I don't think you need to be Vince Lombardi to know that a guy playing a young mans' game at age 34 is past his prime...especially when he's coming off a bad season. That, compared to a 28 year old terror in his prime, who led the SB champs in tackles last year, and always plays well against the Patriots.  

It's difficult for me to value your personnel evaluation skills when you call Bernard Pollard a "terror in his prime". The guy is an average SS. Wilson, regardless of his age is still the better player in my opinion. That's all we're disussing here... opinions. We shall see how Wilson turns out... I'm going to remain optimistic and expect him to bounce back to his '11/'12 form. You realize this guy was the #2 safety in the NFC at age 32. I'm also not convinced the Cards were using him the right way last season.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to jri37's comment:

I'm sorry I didn't get your credentials. Are you the Pro Player Evaluater of Scouting for the Pat's? Based on this assessment you must of watched thousand of hours of film on each player to identify their strenghts to determine how each player fits in schematically to what the Patriot philosophy is on D? Right?

Excuse me...I didn't gey your credentials. But, we all know that BB is never wrong...right? Brandon Meriweather, Terrence Wheatley, Patrick Chung, Darius Butler, Sean Springs, Shawn Crable, Kevin O'Connell, Brandon Tate, Taylor Price, Ron Brace, Chad Jackson, Chad Ochocinco, Duane Starks, Ras-I Dowling...need I go on?  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

In response to jri37's comment:

I'm sorry I didn't get your credentials. Are you the Pro Player Evaluater of Scouting for the Pat's? Based on this assessment you must of watched thousand of hours of film on each player to identify their strenghts to determine how each player fits in schematically to what the Patriot philosophy is on D? Right?

Excuse me...I didn't gey your credentials. But, we all know that BB is never wrong...right? Brandon Meriweather, Terrence Wheatley, Patrick Chung, Darius Butler, Sean Springs, Shawn Crable, Kevin O'Connell, Brandon Tate, Taylor Price, Ron Brace, Chad Jackson, Chad Ochocinco, Duane Starks, Ras-I Dowling...need I go on?  

And all you're doing is sitting in your chair speculating over who would be better. Belichick isn't perfect, but I value his opinion and credentials over yours, who seems to think that the winningest team over the past decade can do no good.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

It's difficult for me to value your personnel evaluation skills when you call Bernard Pollard a "terror in his prime". The guy is an average SS.

RESPONSE: Well...this "average" SS led his team in tackles, despite playing the second half of the season with broken ribs. What kind of a year did Wilson have in 2012?

Wilson, regardless of his age is still the better player in my opinion. That's all we're disussing here... opinions.

RESPONSE: If that's how you feel...fine. But, what are you basing your opinion on...your feelings? Your wishes? Your hopes?  

We shall see how Wilson turns out... I'm going to remain optimistic and expect him to bounce back to his '11/'12 form. You realize this guy was the #2 safety in the NFC at age 32. I'm also not convinced the Cards were using him the right way last season.

RESPONSE: I hope you're right. In the meantime, Pollard will sign with Denver, the Jets, or Miami...and will continue to be a thorn in the Patriots' side.

Sections
Shortcuts