Kevin Faulk is Slow!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

Kevin Faulk is Slow!

I'm a long time Faulk fan and he has been invaluable over the last decade to this team. Kick returns, punt returns, 3rd down back, dependable pass blocker, clutch receptions....it goes on.

Okay, now back to present day. He is a 35 year old running back coming off a torn ACL. He looked slow and got waaaayyy to many snaps yesterday. He took away from Ridley, Woodhead, and more importantly BJGE. I think Faulk had the most snaps out of any other running back and that is not okay. 

I appreciate all that he has done and how hard he has worked to comeback, but the Faulk farewell tour needs to end. Benny is the starting back on this team and he should play accordingly. Faulk is slow, not shifty, and not strong enough to warrant that much playing time.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from deluxbury. Show deluxbury's posts

Re: Kevin Faulk is Slow!

Rediculous post.  Cut the guy some slack and let him get his legs back.  It's gonna take a few weeks for his legs to be in game shape.

His valus came yesterday in blitz pickup.  Nobody does it better and they dont call Pittsburgh "Blittsburgh" for nothing!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from FishTaco64. Show FishTaco64's posts

He is a slow, 35 year old running back that had a much better yard per carry average then your boy Benny.

Faulk: 6 carries, 5.2 yard average
    Benny: 5 Carries, 1.8 yard average.

But yeah, they should have just kept anding it to BJGE and kept watching him get stuffed, setting up even more 3rd and longs.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from HaverhillBob. Show HaverhillBob's posts

I'd rather see him in the game over any other back.  Faulk is a legend.  He only makes this team better.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bspikes55. Show Bspikes55's posts

See that comment ^^^^^ is not true at all we have young guys ridley and vereen and woodhead faulk as a guy to pick up a blitz and catch a pass or too sure but as out go to guy you know what y.ou get a first round loss liek the last 2 years

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Not that fast , but still shifty enough to get it done.

I also didnt like him being featured, but more because thats a sign to the defense saying we want to run.

Besides that, i think it sais more about Benny's toe injury and the lack of trust in Ridley against a great defense...remember he sputtered against the Jets....

So I still like Faulk, but he has a role and we need fresh legs to carry the load.

Im sure the coaching staff has some plays they would like to do over again in hindsight....obviously they saw something during the bye week they thought would work, but like Bill said,"doesnt mean it will work on sunday"

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

yeah he did look slow as comapred to Vareen and Ridley

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Faulk can pick up the blitz and block better then any other back on the team.  Since he can also receive out of the backfield and run the ball pretty weel he is much better in there in the hurry up offense then any other back we have. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In Response to Re: Kevin Faulk is Slow!:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Kevin Faulk is Slow! : exactly why he's bad for the team. other teams know why he's there. he's not a running back who can beat you for />7 yards on a handoff in the backfield. other teams d know he's slow enough that they can recover if he "gets away". they do not have to respect the run.  basically, you want someone who can block at the expense of a real running game.
    Posted by seattlepat70[/QUOTE]

What?  I said he can do it all, pick up the blitz, receive out of the backfield and run the ball.  While he isn't the best runner he can still run so the D would be confused.  Is he going to stay in and block, go out for a pass or run?  He is the best at doing all three combined so it keeps the d guessing.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

Kevin Faulk did not play bad yesterday considering his injury but he did look slow. His rushing average was inflated because he was running draws when the Steelers were playing pass. It's hard to defend his blocking when he does an illegal chop block costing 15 yards when as a veteran he should have known better. Personally I would prefer Woodhead out there (he looked great against the Cowboys on that final drive) but i do not believe Faulk was a major reason as to why the Pats lost. I think the head coach thought Faulk might help in pass protection or something but it did not seem to help much (Volmer was so bad that I don't think Faulk could have done much in that department).

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]Faulk can pick up the blitz and block better then any other back on the team.  Since he can also receive out of the backfield and run the ball pretty weel he is much better in there in the hurry up offense then any other back we have. 
    Posted by TFB12[/QUOTE]

exactly why he's bad for the team. other teams know why he's there. he's not a running back who can beat you for >7 yards on a handoff in the backfield. other teams d know he's slow enough that they can recover if he "gets away". they do not have to respect the run. 

basically, you want someone who can block at the expense of a real running game.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from palookaski. Show palookaski's posts

Sure we all enjoy Kevin. Does featuring Kevin dictate that the Pats want to run? Don't think so. He's not a north south type of runner but does give Brady an extra level of blocking. Woody on the other hand - except for the blocking feature is shiftier and faster. We used Lawfirm and Woody constantly in the recent past according to down very effectively. I miss speedy and shifty Woody out there!

Using Welker as Kick/punt returner is taking a chance on injury. Edelman is the speedster that needs to return for that job - after an injury. The collective team speed of the Pats has me a bit concerned at this point. That Steeler game has really propped up some interesting threads.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Kevin Faulk is Slow! : exactly why he's bad for the team. other teams know why he's there. he's not a running back who can beat you for />7 yards on a handoff in the backfield. other teams d know he's slow enough that they can recover if he "gets away". they do not have to respect the run.  basically, you want someone who can block at the expense of a real running game.
    Posted by seattlepat70[/QUOTE]

which is why ridely should be the very  down back. multiple threat (tough yards, beakaway threat, out of the backfield threat to catch a pass), cant load up on just the pass. but we simultaneously,y need outside the #'s threat on eh field at the same time. with a te threat, outside #S threat, ridley, welker offense will not be shut down lik ewe always are against better defenses coached well. oh and i forgot, a real offensive coordinator.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

I know there are Faulk loyalists out there; which is fine. He played fine for a 35 year old RB recovering from a knee injury.

Maybe Woody and Ridley are both injured - I don't know - but neither got carries in the game. The thing with Woody and Ridley is that if the Patriots are going to run the ball, Woody and Ridley have a better chance of gaining 10 yards or more on some of their carries than Law Firm and Faulk.

We needed some of those timely longer runs, we needed some quicker crossing patterns for the WRs, we needed some screens, we needed some play action plays. We needed to dink and dunk the Steelers like Roethlisberger did to us. The difference was that the Steelers were able to get to Brady enough times - and their man-to-man coverage was really good - and we couldn't do that to them.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from EASON11. Show EASON11's posts

the posts here are foolish at best..........with TOP 40-20...........people expect miracles when you dont have the ball and when u have it you go three and out..........real fans are found when a team lose's...........AS IS THE CASE HERE.....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from VAPATRIOT. Show VAPATRIOT's posts

Kevin looked fine to me, he was one of the few positives we had all day!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Remember when Welker came back?  He looked slow too. 

A couple of things about Faulk.  When drafted he wasn't dependalbe at all.  But he found his nitch as a 3rd down back.  Over time he became a bit more than that.  He can run, catch and block when necessary.  His value cannot be over looked.  He also doesn't have a whole lot of miles on that body of his.  He can still contibute.

Make no doubt the Faulk is not the future of this team but to have a vet like this around the youth the Pats currently have can bring their games up a bit faster.  I don't think the Pats have much to worry about RB wise for a while. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

tough crowd I guess, Faulk was one of the few guys who was matching the Steelers intensity and is the best blitz pickup option.  I'm not ready to see him go, he didn't look too slow on the play to the left when he got to the corner and turned it upfield.

They were not committed to the run, don't know if that was the game plan or O'Brian went pass happy because they were trailing IDK but if they would had run the ball I'm sure BJGE would had been the primary runner.  By having Faulk start that IMO says their game plan was about the pass not smash mouth football.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2012. Show Evil2012's posts

[QUOTE]tough crowd I guess, Faulk was one of the few guys who was matching the Steelers intensity and is the best blitz pickup option.  I'm not ready to see him go, he didn't look too slow on the play to the left when he got to the corner and turned it upfield. They were not committed to the run, don't know if that was the game plan or O'Brian went pass happy because they were trailing IDK but if they would had run the ball I'm sure BJGE would had been the primary runner.  By having Faulk start that IMO says their game plan was about the pass not smash mouth football.
    Posted by Pats7393[/QUOTE]

So Teflon Tom gets a free pass. You do realize he calls half the plays himself.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from FishTaco64. Show FishTaco64's posts

Maybe Tom wouldn't have to check out so much if Bill O'Brien could call a decent game in the first place.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]the posts here are foolish at best..........with TOP 40-20...........people expect miracles when you dont have the ball and when u have it you go three and out..........real fans are found when a team lose's...........AS IS THE CASE HERE.....
    Posted by EASON11[/QUOTE]

Hey Eason, T.O.P would be better if we CONVERTED 3rd downs. Incompleteions equal clock stoppage, which equals shorter T.O.P. Succesful running mixed into a great passing game keeps an offense on the field.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

I would have rather seen a younger and faster Ridley see some carries....but Faulk did okay for coming off that injury. That being said, Why Obrien can't use more of his weapons is puzzling. This offense is just too predictable, and I think that falls heavy on Obrien. We have some amazing talent for screens, draws, etc...But Obrien keeps spreading them out, and hoping Brady will shine.

Too many teams are figuring this out, and Obrien needs to make better adjustments. If Benny is hurt....then sit him down to heal....we have so many other options.....USE THEM!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrbungle. Show mrbungle's posts

Glad to see Faulk back but, why utilize him the way BB did against the Steelers?

Faulk shines as a 3rd down back and I kept waiting to see a rotation of Woodhead, BJGE, Ridley and even Vereen along with Faulk. Who am I to second guess BB but, it seems he was to eager to let Faulk back at the expense of establishing a running game. Am I the only one that goes crazy watching the running game?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

WHERE THE HELL IS RIDLEY??????