Kevin O'Connell was a waste of a draft pick!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbfan12. Show tbfan12's posts

Kevin O'Connell was a waste of a draft pick!

The Pats used their 4th pick (94th overall) on him only to have him be a back up for a year and then cut him. They could have drafted a cornerback or linebacker instead. What a waste!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

Re: Kevin O'Connell was a waste of a draft pick!

I assume u are an NFL scout to be so Smart. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowtherabbit-. Show cowtherabbit-'s posts

In Response to Kevin O'Connell was a waste of a draft pick!:
    The Pats used their 4th pick (94th overall) on him only to have him be a back up for a year and then cut him. They could have drafted a cornerback or linebacker instead. What a waste!
    Posted by tbfan12
    Yup! Oh well.It happens to every team.A lot cheaper than first round QB busts,Akili Smith,Tim Couch,Cade Mcnown,Heath Shuler,Andre Ware,Vince Young,Alex Smith,and everyones favorite,"Cryin" Ryan Leaf.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

there are many busts out there,or players who look good in collage,but the NFL is a diffrent game.chad jackson,bethal johnson were very disapointing picks.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

Tedy B and Mike Vrabel were both great players for many year for the Pats, but their time was over as effective players in the NFL.  The Pats will now have a much faster, durable D than in years past.  The speed of the Pats should also be noticeable as the season progresses.  I'm excited to see what the young guys and do this season, and they should only improve.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mayosmyboy51. Show mayosmyboy51's posts

All I can say is hindsight 20-20.  Remember in 06 when we traded up to get Chad Jackson?  We could've had Greg Jennings instead, but we chose a bust.  As everyone knows, the draft is an inexact science and sometimes you hit it big like with Mayo and Seymour, or you end up with a Crable or Jackson or O'Connell now.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeepguy2358. Show jeepguy2358's posts

I agree with the above posts and will also add that O'Connell played very well last year during camp and really pushed Cassell.  If Cassell didn't have any competition, he may not have been the quarterback he ended up being in the end for us.  Granted he is not longer with us, but, oh well.  Agree though.  Hindsight is 20-20.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

don't group crable into that group just yet, let him play in the regular season before you start calling him a bust

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

if anyone could know who was going to be good/a bust consistantly they would be the head of a scouting department for the superbowl champs year after year, BB does very well if you compare him to other coaches.  The rings seem to argue BB's point that he is a good drafter.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

So far, Tyrone McKenzie is a waste of a third round draft pick too.  He was a pretty good pick, and then a week later he tore his ACL.  However, he had no record of having bad knees before the injury in minicamp.  I wouldn't blame the scouts for this.

I got the feeling that Chad Jackson had concussion problems.  His brain couldn't remember anything.  How do we know that he was a bad college pick, when maybe the NFL gave him the concussion problems? 

I don't know why O'Connell can no longer hit a barn with a football, but he can't.  Was he a bad third round pick or did he take a concussion during his NFL years?  I really don't know. 

That's why I judge drafting on the whole body of the front office's work. 

Did they pull up some great yard sale quarterbacks? Was Brady a waste of a sixth round pick?  How about Matt Cassel's price -- a seventh round pick?

Did the GM have major busts like Vernon Gholston (who I hated long before the Jets drafted him)?  Especially were the first rounders blue chips?  Richard Seymour, Ty Warren, Vince Wilfork, Jerod Mayo, Logan Mankins, all rock solid choices.  Most of the value of the draft is concentrated in the first rounders.

Just as important, did the front office pick up the types of players that aren't hardly available at any price?  Apparently JAG receivers are a dime a dozen so don't draft them, but quality defensive linemen absolutely must be drafted or else you won't have any of them.  BB drafted Jarvis Green as a fourth rounder and Ron Brace as a second rounder, in addition to the previous three road graders.  We'll see how Brace does, but in his role as FHWA-approved construction equipment he seems to have cracked the rotation just fine.

Rather than asking if ANY middle round picks fail, I'd check to see whether any of the middle round picks make the team and contributed.  Ghost was like buying 20 free yards a game, every game for 4 years running, or 1280 extra yards plus playoff yards in the bank.  BTW, how did the Bruschi pick work out?  He was a third rounder.  But Bruschi was so far back he doesn't really count anyways.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

Posted by tbfan12

O'connell needs more time to develope. Brady was a seventh round pick and turned out to be the bargain and the century, and if he continues will be in the NFL HOF. Look how many first round trip have never made it past training camp, or into year two. Now, highly drafted QBs are expected to come to camp, learn the game right away or be cut. Years ago most of the time it was expected that a young QB would haveto learn his trade from the bench and in training camp for 4-5 years before they would be given a shot at the starting position. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

Posted by tbfan12

O'connell needs more time to develope. Brady was a seventh round pick and turned out to be the bargain and the century, and if he continues will be in the NFL HOF. Look how many first round trip have never made it past training camp, or into year two. Now, highly drafted QBs are expected to come to camp, learn the game right away or be cut. Years ago most of the time it was expected that a young QB would haveto learn his trade from the bench and in training camp for 4-5 years before they would be given a shot at the starting position.

Sections
Shortcuts