Kevin Ware injury

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

Re: Kevin Ware injury

In response to 42AND46's comment:

In response to IrishMob7's comment:

In response to RidingWithTheKingII's comment:

Something isn't quite right medically, IMO, for that to happen. He jumps everyday for 2 hours in practice.  No contact, nothing. And his weight wasn't off and he didn't step on Thornton.

Exactly what my mom said.  She thought that he had to have some type of bone cancer in order for it to break that cleanly and that terribly.

Just an absolutely awful scene.  It did not look real; it was almost like it was photoshopped.  Poor kid.

I sent it over to my sister and she didn't want to look at it after she read about it, but she said that to me. Same deal.  She didn't mention cancer or anything, but that something wasn't quite right. It could be his bone development where that has more potential to occur than most humans and it just happened to occur, etc.

It's somewhat odd to have a break like that without contact or some kind of uneven landing area like skiing  or something, but he didn't roll the ankle or anything, so she said something wasn't quite right if it broke clean at that spot.

Don't know anything about it, but I am just taking that opinion because she is a doctor.

Yeah, it could be anything.  Either way, it shouldn't have happened.  Just a freak accident.  They were talking on ESPN how it would be up to a year of recovery.  I'd say that's a pretty hasty guestimate.  If I were this kid, I would just be thankful if I could regain the ability to run/jump normal again, let alone the ability to play at a high athletic level.  

One of my buddies broke his leg that resulted in a compound fracture.  He had a foot long steel rod implanted into his leg and still isn't nearly the same as he was before.  This was 4 years ago, too.  Let's hope Ware's recovery process is more of a success than my friend's was.

sadly that is what probably hurts the kid (and his teammates) more than the injury itself-the idea that his athletic career might be over

Yup.  I can't imagine having such a bright future in athletics only to have it taken away at the blink of an eye.  He's only a sophomore, too.  

Also, I've heard on several occasions that, with a freak injury such as his, you don't actually feel any pain until the next day because your body releases so many chemicals at the time of the injury that you fall into shock and not feel anything.  After watching that, I beg to differ.  It hurt me just to watch.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

this injury was worser than Marcus Lattimore injury don`t u think?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

In response to PATSchampsSB's comment:

Way worse dude.  This was a compound fracture.  His leg literally twisted around and was dangling like an ornament on a Christmas tree.  Did you see the footage that showed the bone out of the skin?  Oh my goodness, I wish I could take back those 5 seconds of watching that. 

Lattimore's was ugly, though.  I'd much rather a ligament tear(they aren't that big of a deal anymore with how much medical technology/rehab has progressed) than a compound fracture coupled with a broken leg.  These injuries are lifelong effects considering they'll have to insert many steel rods just to put the leg back together.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

Way worse dude.  This was a compound fracture.  His leg literally twisted around and was dangling like an ornament on a Christmas tree.  Did you see the footage that showed the bone out of the skin?  Oh my goodness, I wish I could take back those 5 seconds of watching that. 

Lattimore's was ugly, though.  I'd much rather a ligament tear(they aren't that big of a deal anymore with how much medical technology/rehab has progressed) than a compound fracture coupled with a broken leg.  These injuries are lifelong effects considering they'll have to insert many steel rods just to put the leg back together.

Yeah dude, I agree with you this injury was terrible, and maybe this kid will never recover from this. Wish him the best.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I'm not going to post the picture here but if you can handle it here is a hi-res pic of it to see just how bad that was...

Not for those with a weak stomach..  Warning.. can not be unseen!

http://i.imgur.com/HPgt4xu.jpg

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

I'm not going to post the picture here but if you can handle it here is a hi-res pic of it to see just how bad that was...

Not for those with weak stomachs..

Dude, this is horrible...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

i actually thought brady's injury in the 08 opener was pretty nasty too...his knee bent pretty badly and he shredded mcl and acl...nothing like theisman or this kid but still gave me the willies a bit

any time a knee or joint bends the wrong way i can feel it even thru the tv

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

Not for those with a weak stomach..

no thanks

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

6-8 months recovery time, How can anyone come back from that?  He is only a sophmore.  Will he be able to play again??

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

6-8 months recovery time, How can anyone come back from that?  He is only a sophmore.  Will he be able to play again??

will he be able to walk normally again? that before any athletics

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

I think it`s almost impossible to this kid play at professional level again, people thought that Lattimore wouldn`t play football again after his injury and he came back and will play in the NFL... but this injury was a lot worse than Lattimore`s, It`s hard to imagine this kid playing again...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I think it`s almost impossible to this kid play at professional level again, people thought that Lattimore wouldn`t play football again after his injury and he came back and will play in the NFL... but this injury was a lot worse than Lattimore`s, It`s hard to imagine this kid playing again...

Man, that is sad.  Hope he is doing well in school especially if he might not ever be able to play again with dreams of a NBA career and money.  It will be interesting to see if  the discussion of college players should be getting paid comes up as a hot topic again because of this possible career ending injury.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

If I were him, I'd learn how to play like Nash

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Pray for this kid... horrible injury OMG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Os7HP7F60vo

i didnt see it (and glad), saw the game later. 

petino said he almost threw up.

what a heart on that kid. he says to his team 12 times,  i'm good. you need to go out and win this game. dont worry about me im good. win the game.

petino, said the only reason they could play is because he said it 12 times to them.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

First the injury.  In terms of its graphic nature the absolute worst sports injury I've ever seen.  Had to have been extraordinarily painful.  Don't wish to speculate on why it happened the way it did.  TFB12, the high res pic was helpful and your warning before opening was a good move.  Thank you.

In terms of what Ware said after the injury - what an amazing young man. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

That was crazy! Worst thing Ive seen live before. Made me think about stop playing ball because i never knew you could break your leg rolling an ankle like that but let me just offer some perspective. My Brother who is into sports medicine was talking to me last year about all the nba players who wear low tops now. They like them to run faster but they are bad for your ankles and they just tape them up. The problem with taping and low tops, is if you are gonna sprain your ankle, now you may protect the ankle, but force and pressure is gonna give way to something so the break just moves up where you are not taped. Most likely he was taped, without high tops and a regular ankle roll moved up and caused a break above the ankle. So low tops lead to high ankle sprains and possible the worst which we saw last night. I couldnt believe what I saw...smh

All you ballers, throw them track shoes away and get a real pair of B-ball sneakers.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

good thing though is clean breaks like that usually heal up good. He should be able to walk fine and possibly still play depending on how bad it was. They will fuse the bone together, cast him up for 8 months but the pain must have been unbearable. I tore my patella tendon while playing and it hurt like a B*tch. Couldnt stand up or walk and it was a year and a half rehab. Didnt think I could play again but after 2 years I was back at it. That was in 07. Ive been playing for the last 4 years now.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

That's some interesting info, TripleOG. 

Everyone compares Ware's injury to that of Bears running back Michael Bush when he snapped his leg as a running back for Louisville.  Here is what he tweeted out while watching the game yesterday...

Michael Bush   @michaelbush29

Oohhhh s@#t (changed original word to fit forum rules) I just cried. I feel so bad. #flashback of myself. Anyone if he needs anything please let me know. #teamware

9:43 PM - 31 Mar 13

--------------------------   

Michael Bush  @michaelbush29

I can't even get myself together. I don't even wanna watch the rest of this game. His life just change

10:03 PM - 31 Mar 13

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

debating whether i can stomach looking at that picture or not

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to redsoxfan94's comment:

That is a decision you will have to make on your own, lol!!  I was going to post the hi-res picture but thought I might be in bad taste due to those who don't wish to see it.  It probably would have been deleted anyways.

One thing for sure.. It is an amzing picture just from the standpoint of what a horrible accident it was from doing what he has done a thousand times in his career playing basketball.  And then to take it even a step further...what an amazing thing the human body is knowing that an injury like that can be fixed and heal to the point to where a person will be able to walk and run again.. simply amazing!  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from danemcmenamin. Show danemcmenamin's posts

In response to danemcmenamin's comment:

I'd put it down to sheer bad luck rather than anything else, not that i'm an expert but just considering other injuries i've seen. Welker's knee is a good one you can make 1000 cuts and on number 1001 his ACL tears in a non contact injury. In saying that however the fact it was a bone is really strange possibly unnoticed stress fractures or stress fractures diagnosed as something else...possibly shin splints. Really terrible no matter what way you slice it, I hope he's ok doesn't look good though

The turf at that stadium is actually removed when they go on the road (non back to back home games), so it has more to do with that than anything else.

The turf isn't settled. Arizone does the same thing, which has been a major complaint and may have been changed since Welker (or others) have blown out their legs in Arizona and Houston at a higher rate that other fields.

But, this was a clean broken leg, not ligament related.

Welker's was an ACL, not a break. 

Why are you talking about the turf?, Welker got unlucky that day that's all. Lots of other players took to that field and lots of them made cuts and most likely some of them even made cuts in that area and none of them blew out their knee. In fact Welker made 2 cuts on the same play one tore his knee up the other didn't. The turf didn't even seem to tear up, his knee just gave up. You and your arrogance, you ignore the good rationale i've used for the injury and focus on a small insignificant part of what i've written and you wonder why people don't like you. 

Your rationale is terrible, do you really think a kid that as you said jumps for 2 hours a day in practice wouldn't notice if he had bone cancer, that's idiocy. You're talking about something you know little about and talking out of your a ss on here like you're a doctor. In a month i'll have a bonefide degree in matters such as these and you'll still be a sad man playing armchair doctor on an internet forum and quite badly at that

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to redsoxfan94's comment:

It's tough to look at and I wouldn't recommend it if you're troubled by graphic images of a tough injury.  But as TFB12 says, it's your decision.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from thehub. Show thehub's posts

Wow! I saw it a fews times already but this pic is amazing. I hope the kid is ok soon. I worry about his health. Bones don't break like that by jumping and landing. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

That was crazy! Worst thing Ive seen live before. Made me think about stop playing ball because i never knew you could break your leg rolling an ankle like that but let me just offer some perspective. My Brother who is into sports medicine was talking to me last year about all the nba players who wear low tops now. They like them to run faster but they are bad for your ankles and they just tape them up. The problem with taping and low tops, is if you are gonna sprain your ankle, now you may protect the ankle, but force and pressure is gonna give way to something so the break just moves up where you are not taped. Most likely he was taped, without high tops and a regular ankle roll moved up and caused a break above the ankle. So low tops lead to high ankle sprains and possible the worst which we saw last night. I couldnt believe what I saw...smh

All you ballers, throw them track shoes away and get a real pair of B-ball sneakers.

The dude was wearing basketball sneakers when he broke his leg. By the high res photo from TFB, the shoe looks like a hi-cut (that or I am so old, I don't even know anymore what a hi-cut bball sneaker looks like nowadays). 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

In response to thehub's comment:

Wow! I saw it a fews times already but this pic is amazing. I hope the kid is ok soon. I worry about his health. Bones don't break like that by jumping and landing. 

well either there was something wrong there previously or that is just one extremely freaky accident. seemed like a pretty routine landing for that kind of a thing to happen.

Sections
Shortcuts