Kevin Williams

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Kevin Williams

I haven't seen a thread of him, sorry if there is one, but I guess he was saying a day or two ago that he wanted to play in NE or said something like "NE call me"

and well, today he is in for a visit... per Rapoport.. Interesting, this guy 2-3 years ago was a beast, now, eh... but if he's cheap sure why not in case Easley, Wilfork and Kelly aren't ready yet..

Check out my Pats/Sports Blog:

http://joepatsfan.blogspot.com/

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Re: Kevin Williams

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000356296/article/new-england-patriots-host-kevin-williams-for-visit?campaign=Twitter_atl

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

Yeah, I was just about to post this after I saw it on Reiss's feed.  He's definitely fallen off in terms of production but I would bring him in to camp for a look.

I always love to see seasoned, respected veterans want to come here to play for a ring.  It speaks volumes about what not only the Patriots organization is about, but what BB brings as a coach.  More depth at DT can't hurt; bring him on!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bustify. Show Bustify's posts

In response to IrishMob7's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Yeah, I was just about to post this after I saw it on Reiss's feed.  He's definitely fallen off in terms of production but I would bring him in to camp for a look.

I always love to see seasoned, respected veterans want to come here to play for a ring.  It speaks volumes about what not only the Patriots organization is about, but what BB brings as a coach.  More depth at DT can't hurt; bring him on!

[/QUOTE]

Excellent post. More competition at DT can't hurt...bring him in as a camp body, and if he shows more  than some of the other guys, then give him a shot as a back up DT.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Hey why not? He should come cheap and it doesn't appear as if he is coming off and injury. He's a big guy and we certainly need some beef up front.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

Lol.  Bustchise just told us yesterday that no vets play for little and want to be here.

The jets are apparently the hot landing spot.  Lol

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from stegall85. Show stegall85's posts

I'd like to see the Pats give Kevin Williams a chance. Older guy now but very solid and consistent player.

Similar maybe to Tommy Kelly at this stage but probably a little better against the run and a little better than Kelly overall thoughout their careers.

Armstead wasn't on the filed at OTA's today and I'm wondering if the interest in KW might be more connected to that than as depth for Wilfrok, Kelly etc. Maybe Armstead tweaked something, but as others have said he should be flying around after all the time off he's had....concerning.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

As long as he's got something left why not! Looks like a spot just became available with "YETI" Armstead not practicing yet again with nobody having info about why.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from m. a. pat. Show m. a. pat's posts

I've liked this guy since his days at Ok. State and he was a terror at the DT position for quite a while. He's also been very durable and has only missed a handful of games in an eleven year career. It's always wise to be looking for more depth. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from stegall85. Show stegall85's posts

In response to m. a. pat's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I've liked this guy since his days at Ok. State and he was a terror at the DT position for quite a while. He's also been very durable and has only missed a handful of games in an eleven year career. It's always wise to be looking for more depth. 

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, 6 time pro bowler, may have been the best all-around DT in the game a few years ago and as you say very durable.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Worth a look of course, great bring him into camp but wonder how much he has left. Also 11 years in the league is a lot of wear on the tires. All that wear might build up to an injury at 33 much like Kelly last year. I'd be cautious to bring him in unless you are confident Easley will be ready by Oct or if you have a ton of faith in 1 of Siliga, Jones, or Vellano. Either way those 3 that people were falling over themselves over most likely only 1 if any will make it out of camp if they move forward with Williams.

I swear by lil 10 pound bearded baby Jesus

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from stegall85. Show stegall85's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Worth a look of course, great bring him into camp but wonder how much he has left. Also 11 years in the league is a lot of wear on the tires. All that wear might build up to an injury at 33 much like Kelly last year. I'd be cautious to bring him in unless you are confident Easley will be ready by Oct or if you have a ton of faith in 1 of Siliga, Jones, or Vellano. Either way those 3 that people were falling over themselves over most likely only 1 if any will make it out of camp if they move forward with Williams.

[/QUOTE]

He would be solid depth, if the price is reasonable. It's true he's has logged a lot of miles but he's also been basically an every down starter for a long time without missing many games and he's generally played at a high level.

Wilfork, Kelly, Easley, Williams, Siliga.....maybe C.Jones. Solid group.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

In response to stegall85's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He would be solid depth, if the price is reasonable. It's true he's has logged a lot of miles but he's also been basically an every down starter for a long time without missing many games and he's generally played at a high level.

[/QUOTE]

That is beyond solid. That would be a great mix of experience and youth.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from stegall85. Show stegall85's posts

In response to DougIrwin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yeah.

The Pats are shaping up nicely from a depth perspective. Shouldn't get ahead of ourselves too much I suppose, they haven't signed KW yet and could use another TE but overall I agree it's a good mix of young talent with a wave of solid experienced vets being added either by way of return from injury or FA.

Anderson and hopefully Will Smith, these are solid guys to have in back-up capacities.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yeah.

The Pats are shaping up nicely from a depth perspective. Shouldn't get ahead of ourselves too much I suppose, they haven't signed KW yet and could use another TE but overall I agree it's a good mix of young talent with a wave of solid experienced vets being added either by way of return from injury or FA.

Anderson and hopefully Will Smith, these are solid guys to have in back-up capacities.

[/QUOTE]

If you compare how BB builds his team to how Elway does it, the depth factor really stands out.  The media fawns over 1 or 2 FAs signed on D, but look at BB so far.  

If you flipped the script last year with say Denver coming to Foxborough with their B Squad vs our A Squad, the Pats would have blown them off the field, putting up 40+ with ease.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

The problem is at 33 the chance of injury increases drastically. With your 2 main starters coming off pretty big injures and a rook who might need a year to recover, a 33 yr old clearly on the very backside of his career might not be great depth. Different story if Kelly and Wilfork were younger and not coming off major injures but that's not the situation as last year proved, with aging players.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from stegall85. Show stegall85's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

The problem is at 33 the chance of injury increases drastically. With your 2 main starters coming off pretty big injures and a rook who might need a year to recover, a 33 yr old clearly on the very backside of his career might not be great depth. Different story if Kelly and Wilfork were younger and not coming off major injures but that's not the situation as last year proved, with aging players.

[/QUOTE]

I'm cautiously optimistic about Easley healthwise but if he does need a year to recover then a guy like KW is a good fill-in. I'm fine with letting these guys battle it out for spots. If a couple young guys emerge and can take over the lead roles then so much the better but nice to have experienced depth.

Talent is talent. The Pats are fairly young overall and I don't see it as a bad thing to add some older depth. He would still have to win the job like everyone else. He's used to playing a lot of snaps so maybe in a rotational capacity he does well.

For what it's worth I have a buddy who may be close to being the world's most avid Viking fan and a season ticket holder and he maintains Williams has still got some good football in him. If fairly cheap it would be a good move.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from stegall85. Show stegall85's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yeah.

[/QUOTE]

If you compare how BB builds his team to how Elway does it, the depth factor really stands out.  The media fawns over 1 or 2 FAs signed on D, but look at BB so far.  

If you flipped the script last year with say Denver coming to Foxborough with their B Squad vs our A Squad, the Pats would have blown them off the field, putting up 40+ with ease.

[/QUOTE]

I actually think the Pats have gained more on a net basis this off season than Denver. If both Ware and Talib are healthy I'd certainly take them over Phillips and DRC but as we know health is a big question with Talib.

Phillips had I think 10 sacks last year so even if Ware is healthier and doubles his production from 6 sacks last year that's only a marginal upgrade at a more expensive price.

Denver's offense is built around that fast paced efficient short passing game. Obviously Manning is the key but for it to work as well as last year he needs a number of good options to throw to. They lost their #2 and 4 pass catchers in Decker and Moreno and I'd be a little worried about Welker given the combo of age and concussions.

Lots of variables but I like the Pats chances in the AFC.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Elway knows what kind of team he is building. Their window is 2-3 years as long as Peyton can noodle the ball around. All of Elway's off season's moves will look stupid if Ware is over the hill (very probable), Talib cant play in January (I hope), and TJ Ward follows up his run in with the law again and becomes an off-field problem.

If that happens, Denver fans wont be happy especially after Elway let Decker walk. That offense will not be the same this year. Yes, Demaryious and Julius are forces but Welker is way done after all the concussions llast year from MAnning's ducks. Their outside WR will be a rookie, Latimer, who I like but Rookies cant match Dekcer's 1200 & 8 production from last year.

Our defense matches up very nicely with their offense now. Revis on D. Thomas, Browner on J. Thomas, Dennard or Arrington on WW and Dennard/Arrington/Ryan on the rookie or Andre Caldwell.

Hopefully all those defensive FA pieces fall apart so we can score at will on them again, if Gronk is healthy.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SportsGenius1. Show SportsGenius1's posts

The Patriots one upped the Broncos all off season. They signed Talib the Patriots answered by signing The so called best CB in the game in Revis, They rushed out to sign Demarcus Ware, the Patriots signed Browner to neutralize any receiver of size. The Broncos signed TJ Ward and the Patriots countered with a drop LB Anderson, The Broncos are a good team and so are the Patriots. Each team lost valuable pieces Denver lost Moreno,Bailey, Decker and a couple of Offensive linemen. The Patriots lost Spikes, Fletcher, Talib , Blount, and Mulligan from last years team. I am more familiar with the players the Patriots brought in as reinforcements. If they add more depth they will win the offseason by a landslide, right now they improved on paper but it has to translate to on field production. Williams would be a decent piece to add as he is familiar with D-Line coach Brendan Daly. I'm also a proponent of signing one of the two TE's available Finley or Keller provided they can pass a physical and they are not looking for the moon salary wise.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to SportsGenius1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Patriots one upped the Broncos all off season. They signed Talib the Patriots answered by signing The so called best CB in the game in Revis, They rushed out to sign Demarcus Ware, the Patriots signed Browner to neutralize any receiver of size. The Broncos signed TJ Ward and the Patriots countered with a drop LB Anderson, The Broncos are a good team and so are the Patriots. Each team lost valuable pieces Denver lost Moreno,Bailey, Decker and a couple of Offensive linemen. The Patriots lost Spikes, Fletcher, Talib , Blount, and Mulligan from last years team. I am more familiar with the players the Patriots brought in as reinforcements. If they add more depth they will win the offseason by a landslide, right now they improved on paper but it has to translate to on field production. Williams would be a decent piece to add as he is familiar with D-Line coach Brendan Daly. I'm also a proponent of signing one of the two TE's available Finley or Keller provided they can pass a physical and they are not looking for the moon salary wise.

[/QUOTE]

Did you just call Mulligan a valued loss? Almost anyne could match what he did.. that wasn't a loss, probably a blessing..

Also, losing Spikes was no biggie either, he was a coverage liability. Mayo is a Pro Bowler and Hightower and Collins are projecting up and even if they falter the PAts have Anderson who can step in and play 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

I'll really like this move..,,, if it works. But if it doesn't work I really won't like it. Know what I mean.

[object HTMLDivElement]

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bungalow-Bill. Show Bungalow-Bill's posts

Rusty licking BB's toes ... Check

Sarcastic, irrelevant comment from true champ ... Check

All that's left now is for wozzydoo to pencil them in as the greatest defense of all time and inevitable Super Bowl winners and we'll call it a day on this one.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SportsGenius1. Show SportsGenius1's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:

In response to SportsGenius1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Did you just call Mulligan a valued loss? Almost anyne could match what he did.. that wasn't a loss, probably a blessing..

Also, losing Spikes was no biggie either, he was a coverage liability. Mayo is a Pro Bowler and Hightower and Collins are projecting up and even if they falter the PAts have Anderson who can step in and play 

[/QUOTE]Any player who's able to grasp the offense is a valued loss Mulligan was asked to be an inline blocking TE to fill the void of the injured Gronk, ask Brandon LaFell how difficult this offense is! As for Spikes he was a solid 2 down LB'er, yes he was a headache for BB at times but he played an important role on the team after Mayo went down, so yes he too was valuable. Each piece to any team carry a certain amount of value. Even the guys you don't like.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

I totally understand your point, because when you think about it we are talking about a defensive line that consists of a NT that is 33 and coming off a major (potentially career ending injury), a 33 year old defensive tackle coming off a torn ACL, a first round rookie coming off a torn ACL, a defensive end coming off a torn ACL and MCL at 33 years old...those are things to worry about. You can also add in Armstead who is coming off a history of serious health problems and was MIA in OTA's last month.

When you add the whole thing up we potentially may have to roll out Vellano, Jones and Silga again - and that's not good enough.

I think what will happen is that half the guys in the first paragraph will make the team, or at least half the guys will contribute/play well enough. I think the other half will either get cut, or make the team out of desperation for lack of depth, and go on to play as shells of their former selves. I'm thinking Vince will be solid, but obviously not what he used to be (which is ok). I'm thinking Easley will be playing by October (and I'm hoping playing well). And I think Smith and Kelly won't be the same...with one of them not making the team.