Keys To Beating The 49ers?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

Keys To Beating The 49ers?

Thoughts, people?

Aside from the usual "show Up" statements...

How do Patriots match up against the 49ers. Same or different vs. Texans?

Glad its another home game against a top tier team.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

Re: Keys To Beating The 49ers?

In response to jri37's comment:
    [QUOTE]

IMO, the strength of the niners D is the front 7. They are very comfortable playing in their base D, so early in the game I would spread them out, trying to get favorable matchups against their linebackers and play the no huddle at a pace as fast as possible. It might wear the niners d down to the point where the running game would be more effective later in the game.

Defensively I think it might be better for the pat’s to keep kaepernick in the pocket and make him beat them throwing. I am not sure they want to let him start running wild out of the pocket. Take gore out of the game and keep kaepernick in the pocket.

[/QUOTE]

so, if the 49ers front 7 are good enough to put pressure on QB w/o blitzing....and the 49ers can cover, do you think the Patriots offense will make Woodhead a large part of the offense early on the game?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

Having Vollmer, Talib, Dennard, Arrington,Spikes, Mankins,Connelly, all healthy

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Keys to beating the 49ers:

(1) Protect Brady. The 49ers haev a good pass rush especially Smith. They will likely scheme to help keep him from forcing Brady. Getting Brady time is critical.

(2) Limit turnovers: this may always be a key but it is even more true when you play a very good team.

(3) Contain Kap from hurting you with scrambles while putting pressure and making him throw earlier than he wants. This includes maintaining individual responsibilty if Kap tries to option. Hit him hard if he is trying to option.

(4) Hold gaps in the running game and tackle: You do not want to give up multiple long drives where they can use Gore a lot and mix in passes

(5) Make a play. The difference between receivers and DB dropping balls or holding on will make a huge difference.

Over the course of the game if they can find a mismatch based on scheme or personnel Brady will try to exploit it as long as it is there. Hernandez is always a potential player that way. Perhaps with double TE and Ridley and Bolden they may have some series where they can be very physical and mix in play action passes. I look for this especially in the fourth quarter. It will be more effective if the O plays a good first three quarters so that the D is not fresh and starting to get gassed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

Show u....  ummmmm ... study lots of film, put in lots of practice, listen to your coaches, get on the same page as your teammates, understand your assignment each play, focus 100% on each play, forget about the last play, do your job.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

Freezing temperature, wind and snow on Sunday night would help.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Must be able to execute in all 3 phases of the game.  How's that for a BB answer?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Colin Kaepernick is making his fifth start in the NFL.  He's running (literally running) his old college Pistol plays, which the NFL hasn't seen. 

Bill Belichick should dust off the old 2011 Denver play book.  For those of you who didn't follow Denver closely last year, they were terrible until Tim Tebow walked onto the field and won six straight games.  The last four of those games were won by four points or less, so someone had a clue by then.  The Pats studied those videos and concluded that Tebow was pretty bad if you kept him contained in the pocket every single play.  The Patriots won 41-23.  The Patriots met the Denver Tebows in the playoffs and won 45-10.  

It's possible that if Mr. Kaepernick is contained we'll discover that he, as was Tim Tebow before him, isn't Peyton Manning in the pocket.  Rookies (or, for quarterbacks, second year guys taken in the early second round) tend to have all sorts of little problems.  They look their receivers down too much.  Their play action isn't too smooth, so you can sometimes guess if they're actually passing or handing off.  They're suckers for robbers.  They might hold the football where a defensive end approaching from their blind side can swat it away.  They haven't learned to get rid of the football as quickly as they might want, and they telegraph their throws.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Keys to beating the 49ers:

(1) Protect Brady. The 49ers haev a good pass rush especially Smith. They will likely scheme to help keep him from forcing Brady. Getting Brady time is critical.

(2) Limit turnovers: this may always be a key but it is even more true when you play a very good team.

(3) Contain Kap from hurting you with scrambles while putting pressure and making him throw earlier than he wants. This includes maintaining individual responsibilty if Kap tries to option. Hit him hard if he is trying to option.

(4) Hold gaps in the running game and tackle: You do not want to give up multiple long drives where they can use Gore a lot and mix in passes

(5) Make a play. The difference between receivers and DB dropping balls or holding on will make a huge difference.

Over the course of the game if they can find a mismatch based on scheme or personnel Brady will try to exploit it as long as it is there. Hernandez is always a potential player that way. Perhaps with double TE and Ridley and Bolden they may have some series where they can be very physical and mix in play action passes. I look for this especially in the fourth quarter. It will be more effective if the O plays a good first three quarters so that the D is not fresh and starting to get gassed.

[/QUOTE]

had two fumbles vs. game vs. Texans, both good plays on the Texans part. We got lucky both times.

Yes, no turnovers is huge.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to nomadfan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

is that what the weather forecast is gonna be? :)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to bobbysu's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Looking back on the year for the 49's this game is going to be on McDaniels. If I was a 49 fan, I would feel pretty good facing the Pats. They beat some pretty good Pass Offenses this year. Packers, Lions, Saints. They cake-walked through the AFC East this year. But, the thing that strikes me funny is you can run on these guys.

Vikings ran for 146 yards, won, Giants 149 yards won, Seahawks ran for 136 yards, lost by 7, 1st game with Rams they ran for 159 yards, tied. The teams that pound them keep their Defense on the field, have the best luck. They are probably the BEST team in the NFL defending the Pass. Miami last week ran for 94 yards and they were behind.  Viking game they ran 78 plays to 49's 56, and beat them pretty good. They tired that Defense out, and they knew Peterson was the MAIN man, and still pounded them.

This is the Field Goal kicking team in the NFL, they dont care about TD's. Score the points, waste the clock, let Defense wait for you to make mistake. Giants didn't fall into the trap, into passing  them into submission.  This is a trend run on them and you will have a great chance of winning, Pass and take your chances.

[/QUOTE]

Seems like they're pretty balanced on D.  They're #2 in passing yards and #2 in rushing yards. Their takeaway/giveaway ratio isn't very good, so, I'm thinking that the Patriots are going to have to force some turnovers early in the game - AND SCORE SOME TDs.

Since the 49ers seem so balanced on the front seven and secondary - seems to me they'd want to mix things up early - see what they're getting yards on - and move the chains. McD is going to have to be on top of his game and take what the 49ers defense is giving.

In addition, the 49ers don't score as many points on the board. They're passing game is below average, but their run game is their strong suit.

Defensively, play big up front and stack the box if we need to. Make their QB beat us in the air. Don't know if the secondary will need to go as much man coverage vs. game vs. Texans.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to Paul_K's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Colin Kaepernick is making his fifth start in the NFL.  He's running (literally running) his old college Pistol plays, which the NFL hasn't seen. 

Bill Belichick should dust off the old 2011 Denver play book.  For those of you who didn't follow Denver closely last year, they were terrible until Tim Tebow walked onto the field and won six straight games.  The last four of those games were won by four points or less, so someone had a clue by then.  The Pats studied those videos and concluded that Tebow was pretty bad if you kept him contained in the pocket every single play.  The Patriots won 41-23.  The Patriots met the Denver Tebows in the playoffs and won 45-10.  

It's possible that if Mr. Kaepernick is contained we'll discover that he, as was Tim Tebow before him, isn't Peyton Manning in the pocket.  Rookies (or, for quarterbacks, second year guys taken in the early second round) tend to have all sorts of little problems.  They look their receivers down too much.  Their play action isn't too smooth, so you can sometimes guess if they're actually passing or handing off.  They're suckers for robbers.  They might hold the football where a defensive end approaching from their blind side can swat it away.  They haven't learned to get rid of the football as quickly as they might want, and they telegraph their throws.

[/QUOTE]

Good observation.  I think the patriots will indeed focus on stopping their run game in general, so, the OLB or DEs will have to set the edge.  Hoping Spikes will knock some wind out of Kaepernicks running game :)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to Paul_K's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

what's the spread on the game?

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

In response to anonymis' comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to nomadfan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

is that what the weather forecast is gonna be? :)

[/QUOTE]

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/sunday-snow-for-new-york-state/2651018

"A storm impacting the Southwest this week and the Midwest Saturday with snow, ice and rain will reach portions of New York state and New England Sunday into Monday."

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

As it is said"defense wins championships". Were it not for 2 bonehead fumbles by the same receiver vs Giants last year, these 2 teams would have met in the SB. The 49ers are not the rival enemy here. If they had won the SB, I'm sure the Pats wouldn't have felt so bad as NY beating them again after they ruined a 16-0 season 2 years ago. SF fans don't like the Giants either beating them again soundly this year. I hope NY doesn't even get in the playoffs as they say anything can happen in the playoffs and they went on to win coming in at 9-7.

49ers losing to the lowly Rams & tieing them and were only 6-3 up on Miami when a gift fumble recovery gave them a TD within the 10 yd line and at home too shows they are dominating no one on offense. I personally don't think they are as strong or have the momentum as last year until NY stopped them. Alex Smith did not lose the NY playoff game & played well this year. I'm not in love with Colin. Niners will try and play keep the ball away from Pats & Brady & slow game down. Even with a good pass defense, Brady will find an open receiver. Pats must run well too to keep pressure off pass rush.

It has been said by others above:

1. Protect Brady

2. Avoid Turnovers.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to SFBostonFan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

As it is said"defense wins championships". Were it not for 2 bonehead fumbles by the same receiver vs Giants last year, these 2 teams would have met in the SB. The 49ers are not the rival enemy here. If they had won the SB, I'm sure the Pats wouldn't have felt so bad as NY beating them again after they ruined a 16-0 season 2 years ago. SF fans don't like the Giants either beating them again soundly this year. I hope NY doesn't even get in the playoffs as they say anything can happen in the playoffs and they went on to win coming in at 9-7.

49ers losing to the lowly Rams & tieing them and were only 6-3 up on Miami when a gift fumble recovery gave them a TD within the 10 yd line and at home too shows they are dominating no one on offense. I personally don't think they are as strong or have the momentum as last year until NY stopped them. Alex Smith did not lose the NY playoff game & played well this year. I'm not in love with Colin. Niners will try and play keep the ball away from Pats & Brady & slow game down. Even with a good pass defense, Brady will find an open receiver. Pats must run well too to keep pressure off pass rush.

It has been said by others above:

1. Protect Brady

2. Avoid Turnovers.

[/QUOTE]

But the Giants did beat the Patriots in 2007, ruined the 'perfect' season - and then beat us again in the SB.  Personally, I'd like to see one more rematch, but with a different outcome :)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Protect Brady.  They have precisely the type of defense that has given us fits and made our offense look human in the past.  They can generate pressure without blitzing.  That type of defense has been our kryponite.  Brady will tear up a team that blitzes, but has had some of his worst games against D's that can get good pressure without sending extra men.  OK, he and a gazillion other QB's.

I thought the 2-game stretch against the Texans and 49ers were a great measuring stick for the Pats.  My biggest question going into the Texans game was if our D could stop a potent offense.  Mission accomplished.  I wasn't too concerned about their D because they have to blitz to generate pressure.  Brady tears up teams that blitz.  My biggest question going into the 49ers game is if our O can still be effective against this type of D; a team that can get into your face without bringing extra people in on the blitz.  This is how the Giants beat us twice.  In fact, nearly every game over the past few years where the offense struggled could be attributed to facing teams that were able to do this.  If we pass the test Sunday this team will win it all this year.  At least they will have as good a shot as anyone.  If Brady is harrassed at will and the offense struggles...I'll have my doubts that we can win it all.  We'll have to hope we don't face this type of D in the big game.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to carawaydj's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Protect Brady.  They have precisely the type of defense that has given us fits and made our offense look human in the past.  They can generate pressure without blitzing.  That type of defense has been our kryponite.  Brady will tear up a team that blitzes, but has had some of his worst games against D's that can get good pressure without sending extra men.  OK, he and a gazillion other QB's.

I thought the 2-game stretch against the Texans and 49ers were a great measuring stick for the Pats.  My biggest question going into the Texans game was if our D could stop a potent offense.  Mission accomplished.  I wasn't too concerned about their D because they have to blitz to generate pressure.  Brady tears up teams that blitz.  My biggest question going into the 49ers game is if our O can still be effective against this type of D; a team that can get into your face without bringing extra people in on the blitz.  This is how the Giants beat us twice.  In fact, nearly every game over the past few years where the offense struggled could be attributed to facing teams that were able to do this.  If we pass the test Sunday this team will win it all this year.  At least they will have as good a shot as anyone.  If Brady is harrassed at will and the offense struggles...I'll have my doubts that we can win it all.  We'll have to hope we don't face this type of D in the big game.

[/QUOTE]

Not only that, but I'm thinking their defensive backs are going to be aggressive at the line. If they do - I'm hoping the Patriots will have quick routes w/ crossing patterns w/ other receivers. I think they'll still need to run the ball to keep the defense honest.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

You keep Brady upright, we win. Don't think it's much more complicated than that.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

Protect Brady.. Do that and the Patriots will win.