Keys to the Game

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Keys to the Game

Besides the ever true turnover issue (not giving them up while forcing the other team to give some up)...

1. Pass blocking. Pass blocking. Pass blocking. If TB does not get hurried he will eventually find one of his receivers. It might be Edelman often. It could be a solid game from KT. It could be a big play from Boyce or Dobson. But the key is giving TB time.

2. Ridley (and Blount) and the O line generating a solid game on the ground. It will allow play action to help give TB time but more than that it will help move the chains, get scoring opportunities and give the Jets fewer opportunities.

3. Pass rush... Pass rush... this implies both pressuring Smith AND keeping him from running while with scrambles. It might take occasional blitzes. It would be nice to see Jones and Kelly and Nink and maybe Buchanan (?) or Hightower or Spikes to come up big in this.

Sure there are other things one could pick out but I think these three are key in my view.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

Re: Keys to the Game

#3 is key. Unlike last week there the Jet's don't have a threat like C J Spiller. All the defensive focus and pressure should be directed at the rookie QB. harrass him confuse him and force him to make quick decisions.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:

#3 is key. Unlike last week there the Jet's don't have a threat like C J Spiller. All the defensive focus and pressure should be directed at the rookie QB. harrass him confuse him and force him to make quick decisions.

The Patriots are pretty vanilla, they will likely try to contain the QB in the pocket so that he does not run for large yards. They're okay with giving up passing yards between the 20s. It would be nice if they tried to do more....

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from thehub. Show thehub's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:

What he said plus BB will take away his first read or comfort guy based on last weeks film work. If Smith has a big game this week the Pats season is in trouble. There is no reason (no running game) that Smith should play well.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

28 pass attempts or less and we win this game. Going away.

Always the basics, No Turnovers, Good Tackling, Stupid Penalties, Great Special Teams.

Just win, Baby!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

52 pass attempts last week, ridiculous, almost lost. McDaniels is starting to tick me off.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Considering the run game consists of Dr. Fumbles and The Spare Parts while the receiving corps consists of a special teams guy and a bunch of guys with no experience, I think Brady should just try to QB Sneak it down the field for the entire game to get into field goal position.

The defense needs to play tough and hopefully try not to go 2 for 2 in allowing rookie QBs to record over a 100 on the QB Rating scale.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

On pass rushing, keep your lanes to contain Geno Smith but always try to get one guy after the quarterback.  Smith was an utter disaster when pressure was applied. 

For starters, the poor kid runs the other way.  Smith lost 42 yards in sacks last Sunday against the Bucs, who were 7-9 last year, and this was a home game for the Jets.  Smith ran out of the back of the endzone untouched in preseason.  Honestly, I'd run the other way too, but nobody pays me to be an NFL quarterback.  When Smith did throw under pressure he didn't do well at all. 

Patriots defenders need to expect rookie quarterback mistakes.  Is Geno Smith telegraphing where he's throwing the ball with his eyes?  Is he setting up his receivers for big football-popping crunches over the middle, as rookie E.J. Manuel did at times?  Is he preferring to throw to one guy?  Is his limited repertoire going to be a problem for him?  Can you guess his snap count?  Can you find a last-second defensive shift that he can't handle yet?

Brady simply has to not throw the ball in Cromartie's direction.  Cromartie has gotten good.  Most rookie cornerbacks such as Shoulder Milliner (torn labrums too often flare up, and then players get shy of contact on the field) make rookie mistakes.  Kyle Mini-Me Wilson will often be on the field (they're starting a rookie over Wilson) and Short-Arm is a known exploitation spot.  I don't expect that much running against the Jets' good front line, not until the Jets overcompensate for Brady shredding their backfield.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Chip Kelly said a good thing the other day, while listening to radio on SVP and Russillo, he considers 3 yards or less pass attempts part of running game. Great Coach Bill Walsh, had same philosophy. Wish McDaniels would consider this more. More long plays are because of miss tackles than bombs.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:

52 pass attempts last week, ridiculous, almost lost. McDaniels is starting to tick me off.

did we even try a pass action pass?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

be careful...you might get backlash from coaching/BB apologists....lol Laughing

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

Chip Kelly said a good thing the other day, while listening to radio on SVP and Russillo, he considers 3 yards or less pass attempts part of running game. Great Coach Bill Walsh, had same philosophy. Wish McDaniels would consider this more. More long plays are because of miss tackles than bombs.

isn't it ultimately up to BB?

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

It may be simplistic but I thin the key to the game is scoring more points than the Jets. I really don't care how many yards they give up, how many first downs or any of a hundred other stats. I just care about the Pats scoring more points and enjoying the unfolding of the game as they do it.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to Paul_K's comment:

On pass rushing, keep your lanes to contain Geno Smith but always try to get one guy after the quarterback.  Smith was an utter disaster when pressure was applied. 

For starters, the poor kid runs the other way.  Smith lost 42 yards in sacks last Sunday against the Bucs, who were 7-9 last year, and this was a home game for the Jets.  Smith ran out of the back of the endzone untouched in preseason.  Honestly, I'd run the other way too, but nobody pays me to be an NFL quarterback.  When Smith did throw under pressure he didn't do well at all. 

Patriots defenders need to expect rookie quarterback mistakes.  Is Geno Smith telegraphing where he's throwing the ball with his eyes?  Is he setting up his receivers for big football-popping crunches over the middle, as rookie E.J. Manuel did at times?  Is he preferring to throw to one guy?  Is his limited repertoire going to be a problem for him?  Can you guess his snap count?  Can you find a last-second defensive shift that he can't handle yet?

Brady simply has to not throw the ball in Cromartie's direction.  Cromartie has gotten good.  Most rookie cornerbacks such as Shoulder Milliner (torn labrums too often flare up, and then players get shy of contact on the field) make rookie mistakes.  Kyle Mini-Me Wilson will often be on the field (they're starting a rookie over Wilson) and Short-Arm is a known exploitation spot.  I don't expect that much running against the Jets' good front line, not until the Jets overcompensate for Brady shredding their backfield.

collins only got 2 snaps last week....

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts