Kick off strategy

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Kick off strategy

One of the more interesting things in the game last night was Detroit's kick-off strategy.  They seemed to be purposely shortening the kicks to get the Pats to try a return.  But their kick off coverage was great (starting five yards closer to the goal line really helps this year) and they were able to pin the Pats around the 15 everytime the Pats took it out.  We may see more of this from other teams this year.  Tate would have been better to have taken a knee everytime he got the ball in the endzone, no matter how close to the goal line he was. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsrkillers. Show patsrkillers's posts

Re: Kick off strategy

I liked what the lions did on kickoffs,its exciting to know that thier will be kick returns and not just touch backs.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Yeah if a team can cover the kick it's great strategy. Looks like its one of the things Detroit has worked out.

looks like the intern outcoached the master last night.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In Response to Re: Kick off strategy:
    I liked what the lions did on kickoffs,its exciting to know that thier will be kick returns and not just touch backs.
    Posted by patsrkillers

The interesting thing, though, is that if teams can regularly do what Detroit did last night, the incentives for taking the ball out of the endzone have flipped. Under the old rule, receiving teams wanted to take the ball out because the odds were you'd get past the 20-yard line.  Now it may be that taking the ball out is a liability because you'll only get to the 15 or so on average. If that's the case, look for receivers to try to let balls get in the endzone before they pick them up so they can take a touchback instead of having to run the ball out.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsFanVA33. Show PatsFanVA33's posts

The Lions played/used the kickoff like a punt (ball higher and not as long)... a subtle adjustment it seems would be to move an additional couple of blockers up to get an earlier block on the kickoff cover guys, in this situation no longer can they let the covergage team come to them. Blockers will have to be aggressive creating earlier disruption to the coverage team and then the returner must be quicker (Edelman) with shorter strides rather than fast (Tate) with longer strides; Tate has now become even more expendable becaue his long strides no longer work as a returner.

This is going to be interesting to see how teams make adjustments throughout the season.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

The counter strategy would be to have a returner with a quick burst, like Edelman, back there.  Tate takes to long to get going.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

No doubt kick returners are going to start looking a lot more like punt returners.  I think though, you are going to see a lot of receiving teams taking knees even when kicks barely make it into the endzone.  The number of touchbacks is going to increase not only because it's easier for the kicker to kick it deep into the endzone or through the endzone, but also because receiving teams are going to prefer touchbacks whenever they can take them. In some cases, they may not even catch a ball landing in front of the endzone if they are sure it will bounce into the endzone and they can down it (safely) once it enters the endzone.  This, of course, has risks, though, because the ball is live and the kickers can score a touchdown if they can down it first.  

A lot of interesting strategic possibilities I guess . . . but still probably a less exciting play than it was under the old rule. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I'm sure BB has thought through all the possibilities.  (So has Rex Ryan for that matter, I assume.) But in preseason they are going to test assumptions and test players, so they are not always going to do what they believe is best to win.  BB kept running Tate out of the endzone because he wanted to see what Tate could do with the coverage team getting downfield so fast. He also put in Edelman at KR to test how a punt returner performed.  In the regular season, he may just tell his guys to take knees. But in preseason he's going to experiment a bit.  That's the point of preseason. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimmytantric. Show jimmytantric's posts

Two of his returns started from the 2-3 yard line-not able to take a knee. Interesting stategy from Detroit. I think we'll see others teams do the same!    In Response to Kick off strategy:
    One of the more interesting things in the game last night was Detroit's kick-off strategy.  They seemed to be purposely shortening the kicks to get the Pats to try a return.  But their kick off coverage was great (starting five yards closer to the goal line really helps this year) and they were able to pin the Pats around the 15 everytime the Pats took it out.  We may see more of this from other teams this year.  Tate would have been better to have taken a knee everytime he got the ball in the endzone, no matter how close to the goal line he was. 
    Posted by prolate0spheroid

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from norichcrybabies. Show norichcrybabies's posts

I was kicked of because of the hurricane but was wondering if this topic would come up.  Turns out it IS possible to bring strategy to the kicking game.  I'm telling you, this is really going to open up a REAL coaching position for special teams coaches.  I think we're going to see some real innovation this year...  as teams adjust to the kicks, they'll start directional poochy type kicks.  Gonna be fun to watch what they come up with!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

This is a strategy that'll work really well for places where weather won't be a factor. Once we get winds, precipitation, or cold involved, entirely different strategies will need to be used.

Sections
Shortcuts