Kick Returner, Who will it be?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Kick Returner, Who will it be?

This deserves it's own thread.  

I have seen some make comments about who will take over the role now that Washington got cut.  He was the second best KR last year and now is without a job, while the Pats were like the second worst at returning kicks.  Washington was actually my favorite off season signing.  

This leaves a combination of Blount, Boyce, McCourty?  They tried Slater 2 years ago but he fumbled once and never got the opportunity again.  Edleman never got a chance from my recollection, and now considering the young guys at WR I'd love to see Edleman handle all return duties.  However, I think his injury history doesn't bode well for such a role.  Boyce can fly, but will it translate to KR.  Reiss keeps posting about Blount taking on these duties.

I did read a post that Washington could always come back, but you never know and it seems they're ready to give the job to Blount.

Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

Re: Kick Returner, Who will it be?

I said in another thread earlier today I thought Boyce and Vareen would be part of the solution.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:

I said in another thread earlier today I thought Boyce and Vareen would be part of the solution.

Right - I remember reading that.  I just wonder if that's going to be a huge upgrade over what McCourty gave us.  I hope so.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

Both have done it in college I think Vareen did it in his sophmore year. I think Vareen definately has the quickness and athleticism to do the job. He may not have the breakaway open field speed but he will be explosive through that first wave. As you stated Boyce certainly has the speed for the job.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cyberknot. Show Cyberknot's posts

Boyce. They don't have anyone for Vereen's third down back role should he be injured.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

In response to Cyberknot's comment:

Boyce. They don't have anyone for Vereen's third down back role should he be injured.

Another reason to keep Washington!  I don't like his release...  Just to think both lining up in the back field on certain plays would be great to see, and the boost he would have brought to kick returns...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

shud have been washington, now right back where we were last two seasons  ...nobody to take back kicks ....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ArmyPatsFan. Show ArmyPatsFan's posts

It should be Boyce.  I've watched him for years at TCU.  The kid is a pretty good returner.  You can then free up another roster spot by not having another only special teamer (ie, Washington, Slater, Ebner, Niko, etc.).  Boyce has a lot of speed and talent.  You can back him up with Blount, Edelman and McCourty.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Agree with army patsfan....Boyce is a natural KR and his speed and quickness fit well with returning kicks. It's also a good way to insure he is activated week to week and perhaps they can work him into the offense sooner than later. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from gslinger66. Show gslinger66's posts

Hopefully Leon has stayed in the area and has a wink wink, nod nod agreement with Belichick on him coming back this week or next after the 1st game. Even thou the guy is not without flaws, he is a savvy veteran and a capable backup to Vareen.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

Did Boyce take any kickoffs in any of our pre-season games? All I remember is Washington taking most. I think you have to go with a "burner" just to have the threat.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Inokea4coolaid. Show Inokea4coolaid's posts

boyce, mccourty, blount, edelman....maybe even slater.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

I liked Leon, but he is gone. After that, Im really not impressed with anyone theyve put out there this summer, but Ive come to the conclusion that outside of Devin hester 5 years ago, noone can succeed here. We dont block for Sh*t! Leon comes here and looks like a bum?!  he still has speed so what else is it!?  We havent been good at it since 03-04. Always in the bottom 1/3 now. I still dont know what Obie does. Our regular guy had one bad year and was sent packing...

Just put Boyce back there and let him use his speed I say

Blount is not really ideal being a bigger guy, but his running style translates well to KR because he likes to cut back a lot and change directions which he is pretty good at for a big man, but can still run guys over when its time. I wouldnt mind him as the up man, but I want more speed back there. I would say Boyce and Blount.

"Take care of my B*tch, I may need her back in a couple years"

Brady to Manning after Wes signed with Denver

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

I didn't think Blount looked bad at all as a KR. I know he isn't your typical burner, but he was decent and seemed to be able to read blocks well.

However, I imagine it will either be Boyce or Vereen. Boyce is more likely as he isn't going to be seeing the field as much, so it will be less of a loss if he is injured.

Come on if you think you can take us on
    You and whose army?
    You and your cronies.

Sections
Shortcuts