Killa In Trouble (Brady Doc on ESPN)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Killa In Trouble (Brady Doc on ESPN)

Our beloved ESPN will have, what appears to be a top notch looking documentary on Tommy Boy, the man, the myth, the legend.

April 12, 8 PM.  Going to be hard to miss, Killa.

I just watched the trailer twice.  Looks fantastic even if it is done by ESPN. Set the DVRs:

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4694510/previewing-the-brady-6-documentary

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from fishers5. Show fishers5's posts

Re: Killa In Trouble (Brady Doc on ESPN)

Look Like its going to be well done....DVR will be set

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

Nice, looking forward to it. Thanks for the heads up Russ

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Here's a trip down memory lane:

Since someone in that comments section on ESPN talked about the Pats playing the 9ers in the HOF game and how the Pats felt like they chose the right guy (Brady) over Giovanni Carmazzi, after that game, in winning 20-0....

The classic story that is Montana's induction the day before with Brady seeing his first pro related action is just great theater for this backdrop. 

I get chills thinking about Montana being there and Brady debuting.

Two things I remember watching about that game as I left work as an intern in college and saddled up to the bar with co-workers/friends on that hot August night in 2000, having ZERO expectations for the new regime in New England:

1.  I seriously thought Raymont Harris was the RB of the future. Antowain Smith turned out to be what I thought Harris could have been.  This is is hilarious to think about now.  But, Harris looked great even if it was preseason.

2.  Brady looked like a veteran.  Obviously, you had no idea, but he sort of looked like Tom Ramsey meets Roger Staubach wearing that #12.  Not sure how else to say it, other than those are the two #12s that come to mind, especially when seeing it in a Pats uni and thinking how you'd like to see a QB possibly develop. Maybe Bob Griese as a #12, too.

Brady looked like how Curtis Martin looked in 1995 when you first saw him in preseason.  Like a veteran already.

Brady started his legendary career and Raymont Harris disappeared.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/news/2000/07/31/patsniners_halloffamegame_ap/

Seems to me there was a changing of the guards in the dynasty discussion on this day:

"1999 was SF's worst record since a 2-14 mark in Bill Walsh's first year as head coach in 1979. Two years later, the 49ers won the first of their five Super Bowls. "

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from deluxbury. Show deluxbury's posts

Rusty, I take back every nasty thing I ever said about you here.   You defenitely have a passion for the Pats.  I remember that game as well and thought the same thing about Harris.  It's funny how we can all get so amped about a particular player and then they just disapear while many players that initially go unnoticed become stars. 

Can't wait for the ESPN documentory on TB!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Sounds good, thanks for the heads up.

for the record, I was at Billichecks 1st training camp when Tom was a rook. This was before it became a place for families and the whole Patriots experience wasnt up yet.  In fact I was allowed to bring my video camera and i believe the next year they banned them.  So basically I got Toms first nfl pass on camera...albiet in training camp, but it was a high arching floater down the left sideline that fell perfectly in the lap of " no name WR"  forgive me, I dont recall.

So as my story goes, I still claim to be the 1st Brady supporter, as in camp 01', I started telling a friend, this Brady kid looks good. He had the swagger, the perfect height, and he was hitting all the open guys., esp the checkdowns, something that Bledsoe had always struggled with...So seeing as tho' Bledsoe dindt impress in 00', I kept telling my friend that Tom would play that year, my words " I dont know how, but this kid is gonna be playing"  my buddy responded "Drew is a warrior, he never comes out the game" and I said" its gonna have to be some sort of fluke injury but the guy needs to play"  and so when Bledsoe went down that night in N.Y.,, I was actually making calls, telling people "I told you so" while they were panicking about our season being over.  LOL, after the Colts blowout, I said this kid can take us all the way, and it just kept building after that.  This is why I have Bradys back so much...but I fear he may one day be the next Drew...but along way from there now....for the record, I was never a big Bledsoe fan, and I knew Billicheck wouldnt stick with them for long cuz he knew he was a bum from his years in N.Y. shutting him down.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In Response to Re: Killa In Trouble (Brady Doc on ESPN):
    [QUOTE]Here's a trip down memory lane: Since someone in that comments section on ESPN talked about the Pats playing the 9ers in the HOF game and how the Pats felt like they chose the right guy (Brady) over Giovanni Carmazzi, after that game, in winning 20-0.... The classic story that is Montana's induction the day before with Brady seeing his first pro related action is just great theater for this backdrop.  I get chills thinking about Montana being there and Brady debuting. Two things I remember watching about that game as I left work as an intern in college and saddled up to the bar with co-workers/friends on that hot August night in 2000, having ZERO expectations for the new regime in New England: 1.  I seriously thought Raymont Harris was the RB of the future. Antowain Smith turned out to be what I thought Harris could have been.  This is is hilarious to think about now.  But, Harris looked great even if it was preseason. 2.  Brady looked like a veteran.  Obviously, you had no idea, but he sort of looked like Tom Ramsey meets Roger Staubach wearing that #12.  Not sure how else to say it, other than those are the two #12s that come to mind, especially when seeing it in a Pats uni and thinking how you'd like to see a QB possibly develop. Maybe Bob Griese as a #12, too. Brady looked like how Curtis Martin looked in 1995 when you first saw him in preseason.  Like a veteran already. Brady started his legendary career and Raymont Harris disappeared. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/news/2000/07/31/patsniners_halloffamegame_ap/ Seems to me there was a changing of the guards in the dynasty discussion on this day: "1999 was SF's worst record since a 2-14 mark in Bill Walsh's first year as head coach in 1979. Two years later, the 49ers won the first of their five Super Bowls. "
    Posted by BBReigns[/QUOTE]
    I remember having some high hopes for Harris and thought he was looking decent in that game. Funny thing I also remember from that night was Gerry Glanville commenting on Harris not having the burst through the hole that he once had and that once a runner looses that, it never comes back. It's funny how a trained eye can catch that right away, when you sit there and think it looks good to you.

As for Brady, I remember him rolling out after half time for a long (50 yard) pass and completion against Detroit that pre season. It was a play in which he showed pocket awareness, accuracy, arm, timing, touch and some athleticism...all the things that Bledsoe was not showing at the time.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lippa. Show lippa's posts

Got a question even if you set your DVR doesnt the station and the cable box have too be on? If so ESPN still gets the rating from you killa so its a lose lose situation  for you.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Killa In Trouble (Brady Doc on ESPN) : LMAO.....Hilarious!
    Posted by Stommmper[/QUOTE]

I would suggest you find a new boyfriend for yourself since the one you currently have, apparently, isn't working for you. lol

Phat Rex and you make a great team.  Great team.  Two aging, balding men in a basement with ice cold zimas.   Priceless.  You two enjoy spooning later today after you consummate your burgeoning love triangle.

*1979 Lawrence High graduate, Stompie.  This means you are 50 in 2011. lol!!

Stompie in 1979 whipping his Sr. year thesis in the basement he still resides in:

And Stompie today in the basement:

Looks like you lost some hair, Stompie.   Nice toy guitars you got there, too. No wonder why you couldn't hack Berklee.  lol

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Killa In Trouble (Brady Doc on ESPN) : Do me a favor, man: give me a heads up when they do a documentary on Eli. Or maybe Michael Strahan. Gotta set my dvr too!
    Posted by JintsFan[/QUOTE]

Eli blows.  You should just take the gift/luck win as just that and quietly move on, thankful as a blind squirrel that trips over a nut in the forest.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lippa. Show lippa's posts

[QUOTE]lippa that is incorrect, yes the cable box has to be on but it doesnt have to be cued up to that station. For example if I am recording two programs at once like say Family Guy on Cartnoon Network and the Tom Brady doc on ESPN my cable box can be on Carttoon network and also be recording on ESPN at the same time. And like I said, if I watched the Tom Brady Doc that night or the next day it would count towards their ratings but after 3 days it does not count so I will record it and watch it like 4 days after the fact and then I can feel a little better lol
    Posted by MVPkilla4life[/QUOTE]
          I would still have too say even if your watching  another show the cable box is still has the singmal to record so it should still give espn the ratings no matter what.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Yup.  Killa in trouble. lol

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from helterskelter. Show helterskelter's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Killa In Trouble (Brady Doc on ESPN) : I would suggest you find a new boyfriend for yourself since the one you currently have, apparently, isn't working for you. lol Phat Rex and you make a great team.  Great team.  Two aging, balding men in a basement with ice cold zimas.   Priceless.  You two enjoy spooning later today after you consummate your burgeoning love triangle. *1979 Lawrence High graduate, Stompie.  This means you are 50 in 2011. lol!! Stompie in 1979 whipping his Sr. year thesis in the basement he still resides in: And Stompie today in the basement: Looks like you lost some hair, Stompie.   Nice toy guitars you got there, too. No wonder why you couldn't hack Berklee.  lol
    Posted by BBReigns[/QUOTE]You know that could also be lazs evil twin brother Guido, or Valerie Bertinelli without her wig.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

More on this here:

Brady's Cinderella story never gets old

ESPN documentary 'The Brady 6' captures quarterback's defiant rise to the top

Reiss By Mike Reiss
    ESPNBoston.com
    Archive
    Year Of The QB: The Brady 6
    "The Brady 6" takes a look at Tom Brady's late selection in the 2000 NFL draft and the six quarterbacks taken before him.

The voice on the other end of the telephone was Tom Brady's, the words he was speaking unforgettable. This is what he said to his good friend and former University of Michigan teammate Aaron Shea: Don't forget about me.

It was 2000, and Brady was hanging on as the fourth quarterback for the New England Patriots. Shea, a fourth-round draft pick of the Cleveland Browns that year, seemed more secure.

Brady and Shea had been tight at Michigan, living in the same apartment building, but now they were embarking on their professional careers in different cities. And although Brady has seemingly always exuded confidence, maybe there was just a sliver of internal doubt as to where things were headed.

So that's what he said to Shea. Don't forget about me.

They can laugh at the memory now.

Brady's championship emergence from sixth-round draft choice -- the 199th overall selection and seventh quarterback off the board -- is an unforgettable story, one of the best in the history of the game. It will be revisited Tuesday in a documentary called "The Brady 6" to be aired on ESPN (8 p.m. ET).

"The Brady 6" refers to the six quarterbacks selected before Brady in 2000. So in addition to chronicling Brady's football journey from San Mateo, Calif., to the NFL's quarterback peak, the lives and careers of Chad Pennington (No. 18, Jets), Giovanni Carmazzi (65, 49ers), Chris Redman (75, Ravens), Tee Martin (163, Steelers), Marc Bulger (168, Saints) and Spergon Wynn (183, Browns) are also highlighted.

They could have even called it "The Brady 7," as the highly touted Drew Henson -- the quarterback Brady rotated with during parts of his senior year at Michigan -- is a big part of the story as well. Shea reflected on that up-and-down chapter of Brady's career and how Brady handled the competition with Henson with class, and said, "I think it's a big part of why he is who he is today."

[+] EnlargeTom Brady
    Icon SMIAt Michigan, Tom Brady handled the competition from fellow quarterback Drew Henson with class and increased determination, according to teammate and friend Aaron Shea.

It's also one of the main reasons Brady dropped to 199. As coach Bill Belichick explained, that was the big question the Patriots had entering the draft: If Brady was so good, why was Michigan seemingly trying to replace him with Henson?

What shines through during the hourlong documentary is how "199" has stuck with the now-33-year-old Brady, even after leading the Patriots to three Super Bowl championships and as he enters his 12th NFL season. The most powerful moment comes when Brady reflects on draft day and a long walk around his California neighborhood with his parents, and is challenged to compose himself. It is rare to see Brady, ever so polished and often guarded in his public remarks, open himself up to such emotion.

Shea has seen it before, mainly because he was there with Brady for some of the lowest moments of his career, such as the time Brady considered transferring from Michigan to Cal. "He just wasn't happy; he wasn't playing," Shea said.

But instead of leaving, Brady ultimately decided to work even harder.

"We had apartments right above each other, and I would hear him at 6 in the morning going to run the stadium stairs," Shea recalled. "He didn't tell anyone. I was probably the only one who knew that this guy was working out on his own, and then he'd come back and work out with the team."

To Shea, that's the fabric of what has defined Brady. When things were at their most challenging -- such as a spot deep on the Michigan depth chart, splitting time with Henson or life as the 199th pick -- it only seemed to drive him that much more.

That is captured throughout "The Brady 6," as are the times in which Brady's NFL rise connected with the six quarterbacks selected before him.

In the 2000 Pro Football Hall of Fame preseason game, for example, the Patriots faced the San Francisco 49ers. Carmazzi seemed overwhelmed by the moment while Brady was in his element, and their careers were soon headed in opposite directions

Of all the quarterbacks selected before Brady in the 2000 draft, none hurt Brady more than Carmazzi, because, as Shea remembered, "Tommy was a huge 49ers fan. We'd always argue who was better, the 49ers of the '80s or my '85 Bears. Joe Montana was his idol."

Brady revered Montana for many reasons, among them his ability to keep cool under pressure. Brady had a similar gift, and that's what stood out to Wynn, who was selected 16 spots ahead of Brady out of Southwest Texas State.

"I think back 10 years ago, a kid fresh out of college, and I didn't really understand what a big deal it was to play quarterback in the NFL," said the 32-year-old Wynn, who now works as an energy trader in Houston.

"I was young and naive, but you put Tom in that situation, and he had that 'it' -- he took that pressure, channeled it and didn't blink. Ten years ago, it was pretty easy to rattle me, and that's kind of what I look at him and I'm very impressed with. I can say we were in the same position, and he handled it very well, much better than me."

Wynn played two seasons in the NFL -- one in Cleveland, one in Minnesota -- before ultimately landing in the Canadian Football League. By the time he signed with the CFL, Brady had already led the Patriots to the first of three Super Bowl championships.

"One of the questions you get is, 'What would have happened if you were in New England and he was in Cleveland?' But I think he's one of those guys where it really doesn't matter," Wynn said.

"Put him in Cleveland, Minnesota, Tampa, wherever, it's going to work, he's going to find a way to get the job done. It's those intangibles that really make his career stand out. I don't mean that as a slight to his arm or his feet, but there is a lot more that goes into it."

Much of which is captured in "The Brady 6."

Shea, who played six NFL seasons and now works in suite sales for the Cleveland Browns, can now laugh at the memory of Brady once calling and reminding him not to forget him. "That was when he was Tommy Brady, not Tom Brady," he said. "But he's still the same guy."

That's why when Shea's son is born later this year, Brady will be his godfather.

Some bonds never fade, and some stories, like Brady's rise from 199, never get old.

Mike Reiss covers the New England Patriots for ESPN Boston. You can follow him on Twitter or leave a question for his weekly mailbag.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Not bitter at all.  Your point would be legit if Pats fans hadn't witnessed a dynasty and continued successes moving forward. Then, I'd be be bitter. But, I am well aware of what I am witnessing here and have no complaints.

Sports is sports.  Eli threw a duck and he helped win the game.  Great!  Before that, he was having a horrendous SB.

That said, the guy was about sent out of town before that season.  And that's the only SB he 'll ever sniff.

If his last name wasn't Manning, I am not convinced he would have been given the leash he's been given.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoNotSleepOnThePats. Show DoNotSleepOnThePats's posts

Already have this program ready to record on my DVR Tuesday night.  Can't wait!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from flutie66. Show flutie66's posts

if you really dont want to dvr it killa, http://tenyardtracker.com/   .  ive been posting this site for a while but it hasnt generated much interest. any movie, show, special, game, preview, etc. that has to do with football (nfl, canadian, international, arena) is available on this site.

EDIT: looks like signups are closed now (capped at 60,000 world wide), but they constantly prune inactive accounts

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Eli moved on, too. Back to mediocre Eli.

lol

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TampaPete. Show TampaPete's posts

I wish I could say that I jumped on the Brady bandwagon right away, but I didn't really notice him until BB sent him in for Bledsoe on Mo Lewis day. Before that, he looked OK as a long-term project, but I thought he was third on the depth chart so I was somewhat shocked that BB didn't send in Huard. I thought that Huard had had a good preseason that year and had had a decent record as a spot starter in Miami. (At the time, I was in the process of moving out-of-state so I think that I missed the Niner game.)

It was obvious right away that Brady could throw short passes much better than Bledsoe, but I was rooting for Drew to come back. I thought his experience would count down the stretch.

I have to add this. Although I rooted for Bledsoe, I wasn't unaware of his weaknesses. The thing that bothered me most about him was that it seemed he never learned to step up in the pocket so the that the tackle could push the outside rusher around him. Iirc, he would just stand there and the tackle would guide the rusher right into him. One would think that a pro QB would learn to buy a little extra time stepping up in the pocket.

Anyway, what sold me on Brady was the game that Bledsoe subbed for him when Brady was injured during the AFC Champoionship game against Pittsburgh, January 27, 2002. Although Bledsoe won the game in relief, all I could think about afterwards were the passes that Drew threw right to defenders that were dropped. Granted, Brady threw some INTs that season, but it never looked as if the pass was intended for the defender. Bledsoe finished 10-of-21 for 102 yards.

Something that stands out to me about that season was Borges criticizing Brady by saying that all he could do was dink and dunk. Then he dinked and dunked his way to a Superbowl championship throwing to guys like Redmond and Wiggins. Oh, and 8th round draft choice (198) named Troy Brown.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Well, this was very well done if it was ESPN.  A little repetitive at times, but quite good.

Nice to see the Brady 6 all praise Brady and sort of share a comraderie. No jealousy from those other QBs, which is nice to see.

It's really one of the more fascinating paths any high profile NFL player ever had when you think about it. 

Every single step Brady took advantage of very small opportunities that turned into steps into what has made him the legendary player today.

And the Montana connection is just uncanny.  It's like when you mimicked a player in your back yard as a kid and then became that player.  That just doesn't happen unless you are Wayne Gretzky trying to emulate Gordie Howe or something.

Brady did not start playing football until his freshman year and may not have even played if the kid in front of him did not quit.   Interesting nuggets like that in there.

Amazing what fate is all about. Not to try to ruin it, but BB was on there talking about how they carried 4 QBs out of 2000 camp because they didn't want to lose Brady.   How many teams carry 4 QBs?  No one does.

With NE's management having that gut feeling he had "it", they took up a roster spot in 2000, that basically changed the entire history of the NFL.

Check it out.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

How many folks noticed the show was not focused on ALL Brady, but, how he excelled when the others did not in spite of being more highly regarded by the football scouts and talking heads back when.  There was lots of high praises coming from folks who had nothing to gain by speaking.  Can you imagine if more players had that type of fire in them?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

That's why I don't buy this "Brady got married so he's not as good anymore" junk.

So immature.

The reality is, NE has been rebuilding on the fly looking to build a stability and reinvent themselves the best way possible.

I cringed when they showed Chad Jackson, Doug Gabriel and Reche Caldwell in 2006.

As great as Brady was in 2007 and last year, 2005 or 2006 may have been his most impressive seasons.

He had absolutely no one other than an aging Troy Brown in 2006.  More than impressive and is really Exhibit A as to why he's not only on Joe Montana's level now, but on Manning's level and probably beyond them.

Sections
Shortcuts