King Says Pats Looking to Trade Up to Top 10

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from sday4x45. Show sday4x45's posts

Re: King Says Pats Looking to Trade Up to Top 10

He wants to get ahead of the Denver or KC possible picks.....one of his guys is focused on who he wants....what is Pioli looking at in the draft??? My guess is he wants to beat him to the punch.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BradyHasMoreRings. Show BradyHasMoreRings's posts

If they are moving up this high then i think there are 4-5 players they target.

Tyson Jackson
    Aaron Maybin
    Brian Orakpo
    Aaron Curry (IF he slips)
    maybe Andre Smith

But i really think they are focused on one of those top 4 OLB/DE hybrids

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dx7. Show dx7's posts

[QUOTE]If they are moving up this high then i think there are 4-5 players they target. Tyson Jackson Aaron Maybin Brian Orakpo Aaron Curry (IF he slips) maybe Andre Smith But i really think they are focused on one of those top 4 OLB/DE hybrids
    Posted by BradyHasMoreRings[/QUOTE]

No one from the Belichick coaching tree wants to select a OLB/DE hybrid as high as the top ten. There simply aren't any worth taking that high. It's too much of a risk to project that a DE can play OLB in the 3-4 scheme. 

However, I could see them selecting Jackson but as a 3-4 end like Seymour. Although, I don't think he'll be there at 8 or 9.

-- dx

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from patpscyho. Show patpscyho's posts

If they move up, #9 seems like the best scenario because GB is actively seeking to exit the top 10. Their priority is not LB/OL which you see stocked on top of the draft. 

One has to think about the leaked information, by the other teams executives as to disclosing the Patriots attempt to move up; I can't see this as anything other than active sabotage in terms of attempting to reveal Patriot strategy as much as possible.

Surely BB takes into account the strong possibility of this happening, in which case, do we see this as a smokescreen? Or is this reveal a non-factor? All interesting scenarios. Tomorrow is going to be a great day, no matter what.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Andre Smith? you guys really think he would be the target if we moved up?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

Looking forward to tomorrow. I can see us making a lot of moves in this draft. Trading up, trading picks for next year, even the potential of trades for players.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from wafostermisionero. Show wafostermisionero's posts

two words: Smoke. Screen. BB is messing with rival GMs

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kmaxx. Show Kmaxx's posts

One more day!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from sfpat. Show sfpat's posts

Lance Zierlein of the Houston Chronicle in his mock draft predicts the Pats will trade with Jax and select Crabtree.  He's a pretty astute NFL writer and is uncanningly accurate with bold predictions like this (he called Albert Haynesworth to Washington three days before the start of free agency).  Makes one wonder

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]what are you saying. oher is gonna be a bust.
    Posted by jiminycricket[/QUOTE]

No I'm not, but not a top 10 pick.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from thehub. Show thehub's posts

[QUOTE]Andre Smith? you guys really think he would be the target if we moved up?
    Posted by MVPkilla

I second that - no way he moves up for Smith. GB would love to beat BB at his game again. BB picked chad  Jackson by moving up and GB picked Jennings.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerh5. Show jerh5's posts

[QUOTE]Lance Zierlein of the Houston Chronicle in his mock draft predicts the Pats will trade with Jax and select Crabtree.  He's a pretty astute NFL writer and is uncanningly accurate with bold predictions like this (he called Albert Haynesworth to Washington three days before the start of free agency).  Makes one wonder
    Posted by sfpat[/QUOTE]
    I hope he's wrong. IMO, wide receivers are too risky to take this high in the draft. Not to mention there are alot of rumblings about his attitude.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

[QUOTE]Lance Zierlein of the Houston Chronicle in his mock draft predicts the Pats will trade with Jax and select Crabtree.  He's a pretty astute NFL writer and is uncanningly accurate with bold predictions like this (he called Albert Haynesworth to Washington three days before the start of free agency).  Makes one wonder
    Posted by sfpat[/QUOTE]I don't know who Lance Zierlein is,but if you read my post on this thread you'll see I explained why it has to be Crabtree and I'll even throw in the fact that SF who is picking at 10 will take him if he drops to that spot.He was originally rated the #1 player in the entire draft by all the so called guru's.He is the only player that the Patriots would gamble on in that area of the draft,if they wanted one of the Hybrid DE/OLB's they would trade up to the 15-18 area if they had a preference.Most of the players in this draft After #10 are all pretty much the same guy some just playing a different position.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

Posted by sfpat[/QUOTE]

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/peter_king/04/24/draft/index.html?eref=si_writers the jags have turned down the pats offer.its possible at no.9,but i dont think it will happen.unless a team is desperate to move out.teams want more then what the point system says.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

If they are moving up theday before the draft then it is to get in between a constellation of players and away from the no-man's land of #23.

My guess is that Andre Smith or Orakpo would be the targets there, without the outside chance of nabbing Jenkins or Raji.

But those would be the guys. My pick would be Rak Daddy.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Only if the Patriots get a bargain, and only if the right guy is available at the right spot.

Actually, there's a 30% chance the whole thing is a smokescreen.  You notice that the trades weren't actually made?  Maybe the Patriots want the Jets to snooker them out of another Vernon Gholston.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

[QUOTE]Only if the Patriots get a bargain, and only if the right guy is available at the right spot. Actually, there's a 30% chance the whole thing is a smokescreen.  You notice that the trades weren't actually made?  Maybe the Patriots want the Jets to snooker them out of another Vernon Gholston.
    Posted by Paul_K[/QUOTE]
    http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afceast/0-7-116/Report--Patriots-trying-to-trade-into-top-10.html

it could be.they are in discussions with two teams,and one has said no.still plenty of time.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]Only if the Patriots get a bargain, and only if the right guy is available at the right spot. Actually, there's a 30% chance the whole thing is a smokescreen.  You notice that the trades weren't actually made?  Maybe the Patriots want the Jets to snooker them out of another Vernon Gholston.
    Posted by Paul_K[/QUOTE]

You could be right Paul. Its' not like the Patriots to tip their hand. If they really wanted to move up, I would think that they would have offered a good enough package of picks to get it done.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BradyHasMoreRings. Show BradyHasMoreRings's posts

[QUOTE]No one from the Belichick coaching tree wants to select a OLB/DE hybrid as high as the top ten. There simply aren't any worth taking that high. It's too much of a risk to project that a DE can play OLB in the 3-4 scheme.  However, I could see them selecting Jackson but as a 3-4 end like Seymour. Although, I don't think he'll be there at 8 or 9. -- dx
    Posted by dx7[/QUOTE]

granted that jerad mayo wasnt a hybrid type but no one thought we were taking mayo that high up. People had him projected bottom half of the 1st round. with the pats and thier pick no one ever knows what they will do. IF and thats a big if they trade up, i still think they take one of them hybrids.They also could just leave them at the DE position and draft barwin at 34. That gives them flexability and if they move up and get one of these guys it might be to replace someone on the front 3. (contracts )(which i hope isnt the case)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from OscarGamble. Show OscarGamble's posts

Zierlein's dad is Offensive Line coach for the Steelers. I know the guy; he's pretty plugged-in on the draft and NFL issues. But I'd be surprised if they're trading up to get Crabtree, as WR is typically a good value later, deep position, in most drafts. That in mind, the last time I recall BB trading up was 2006; a low-second and third to move to the top of the second round, then drafting the legendary Chad Jackson. That manuever was a complete bust, obviously. My guess is, if they move up, it will be for Smith (or one of the Top 3) at the difficult-to-fill LT position, though I doubt any of 'em will still be around at #10. But as it is, with 6 of the top 100, there's almost certainly not enough roster spots to accomodate them all, much less the remaining picks. They'll definitely make trades but, IMO, the priority will be to set themselves up for the 2010 draft, rather than trading up for one particular player tomorrow.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]...I'd be surprised if they're trading up to get Crabtree, as WR is typically a good value later, deep position, in most drafts. That in mind, the last time I recall BB trading up was 2006; a low-second and third to move to the top of the second round, then drafting the legendary Chad Jackson. That manuever was a complete bust, obviously. My guess is, if they move up, it will be for Smith (or one of the Top 3) at the difficult-to-fill LT position, though I doubt any if 'em will still be around at #10. But as it is, with 6 of the top 100, there's almost certainly not enough roster spots to accomodate the all, much less the remaining picks. They'll definitely make trades but, IMO, the priority will be to set themselves up for the 2010 draft, rather than trading up for one particular player tomorrow.
    Posted by OscarGamble[/QUOTE]

I can't see the Pats trading up into the top 10 unless they can get Andre Smith, BJ Raji, or Tyson Jackson.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

NFL Network has a mock that projects Curry falling out of the top 10, if this happens the Pats will be calling.  We could give up 23 and 34 and pickup the safest pick in the draft.  Curry is the can't miss guy, still can pickup a good OLB rusher type in the second or third.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Pats. That is the point of moving up to #9. 1-5 stinks because none of these players are truly super-blue chip types.

But 8-10 rocks because you get the guy that falls.

Orakpo, Curry, Monroe, Smith. All of these guys could potentially fall down to #8 or #9. That is a heady class of player right there. And that leaves out guys like Raji and Jackson.

I would be ecstatic if New England nabbed Curry falling. He is very versatile and could play inside or outside. He could play in Vrabel's spot off the bat for starters, even if he is a somewhat more natural fit inside. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from OscarGamble. Show OscarGamble's posts

If they trade up it'd have to be for a tough to fill position like LT or anywhere along the Defensive Line. Curry will probably be terrific but it seems like you can always find quality players in the mid-rounds at LB. I wouldn't trade up just to draft a LB. The Pats still have last year's 3rd round pick (Crable), along w/ Pierre Woods, Guyton, Vince Redd, so there is some depth, albeit unproven. Yoy could wait for that position, IMO. A trade would be for Orakpo, maybe Tyson Jackson (only 4.5 sacks last season @ LSU?!) or one of the three LT's (Andre or Jason Smith & Eugene Monroe).

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]If they trade up it'd have to be for a tough to fill position like LT or anywhere along the Defensive Line. Curry will probably be terrific but it seems like you can always find quality players in the mid-rounds at LB. I wouldn't trade up just to draft a LB. The Pats still have last year's 3rd round pick (Crable), along w/ Pierre Woods, Guyton, Vince Redd, so there is some depth, albeit unproven. Yoy could wait for that position, IMO. A trade would be for Orakpo, maybe Tyson Jackson (only 4.5 sacks last season @ LSU?!) or one of the three LT's (Andre or Jason Smith & Eugene Monroe).
    Posted by OscarGamble[/QUOTE]
    The tackles will be gone, that's part of the reason these guys are falling or projected to fall out of the top 10.  I have been looking at what tackles are there at 23 or in the second. are there are still some good names that can sit and learn for a year and come in.  Even in the third you can get a LT.  You can find guys in later rounds at LB but not one that will be able to start day 1 like Curry.
    At 23
    Eben Britton
    William Beatty

2nd Round:
    Jamon Meredith
    Phil Loadholt

3rd Round:
    Troy Kropog who I think would be a stud given the right situation.
    Gerald Cadogan