Kirwan ranks Patriots 2 on NFL.com

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcuff-uk. Show jcuff-uk's posts

Kirwan ranks Patriots 2 on NFL.com

In Pat Kirwan's power rankings he ranks the Pats behind the Steelers giving the reason that "If the Patriots had secured a veteran outside linebacker, they would have been considered for the top spot."

Thanks Pat;)

Full article here: http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d810536b4&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

Re: Kirwan ranks Patriots 2 on NFL.com

In Pat Kirwan's power rankings he ranks the Pats behind the Steelers giving the reason that "If the Patriots had secured a veteran outside linebacker, they would have been considered for the top spot." Thanks Pat;) Full article here: http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d810536b4&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true
    Posted by jcuff-uk

So all the Pats have to do is sign Willie or Colvin and we will be first on his list?  LOL!

He is entitled to his opinion, but the Pats were 11-5 with a back-up QB.....we have upgraded both the secondary and the Offense....(could be as good as the 2007 record breaking O)....

This should be a fun year.....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

M- you seem p.o.'d with Kirwan's ranking.  please elaborate.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

The Steelers won the Super Bowl and still have a better defense than the Pats (on paper and in reality). They deserve their ranking until some team ousts them from the playoffs. The Steelers also had a brutal schedule last year. I don't see Indy faltering because of the loss of coaches and Harrison; they still win the South. Norv Turner is not a good coach, therefore, as usual the Chargers have all the talent to win it all, but will struggle to win their division (I believe its a Charger "good year" :meaning they'll win the division and at least ten games. Everyone talks about the Eagles being the team to beat in the NFC East , but the Giants had a good draft and still have a great defensive line. The Pats will win the AFC East.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

Hannah - we'll see about the colts.  I am hoping for 11 wins - expecting more like 10 without poring over the schedule.  Will that be enough to get them into the playoffs? 

As of today, no AFC playoff team seems better than they were last year.  The pats are better if only because of Brady (I think the jury is out on the secondary).  But, I expect a 4 game adjustment for Brady.  That said, if the pats win those games than the adjustment really doesn't matter. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

Hey I'm not worried about the Steelers being the only team ranked ahead of us now.  Figure the last two times we met in the playoffs in Pittsburgh the Pats emerged victorious.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

M- you seem p.o.'d with Kirwan's ranking.  please elaborate.
    Posted by underdogg

No, I am not P.O'd at his decision.....he is entitled to his opinion....but his explanation for the Steelers is also what NE does very well....

I am not buying that any veteran OLB would make that big of a difference.....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Hannah - we'll see about the colts.  I am hoping for 11 wins - expecting more like 10 without poring over the schedule.  Will that be enough to get them into the playoffs?  As of today, no AFC playoff team seems better than they were last year.  The pats are better if only because of Brady (I think the jury is out on the secondary).  But, I expect a 4 game adjustment for Brady.  That said, if the pats win those games than the adjustment really doesn't matter. 
    Posted by underdogg

I really can't see Matt Schaub in the AFCCG in 2010. I don't see the Colts running away with the division so much as I don't see anyone stepping up to knock them off .

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

Hannah - you and I see it alike.  Colts aren't getting better but none of the others are good enough to beat them (I hope).  I think the Titans (while still possibly playoff material) had a one year wonder year at 13-3. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

Pittsburgh s*cks.  Brady could beat them with one leg.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

Hannah - you and I see it alike.  Colts aren't getting better but none of the others are good enough to beat them (I hope).  I think the Titans (while still possibly playoff material) had a one year wonder year at 13-3. 
    Posted by underdogg

Watch out for Houston.....seriously.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

M - there is some talk about Houston, and they have beaten the colts. 

I don't believe the top tier teams have gotten better except for the pats simply by getting brady back. 

There are some mid tier teams that have gotten better and I think Houston may be one.  That said, they have to take the division and I don't know if they have that mentality yet. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

The Texans will s uck until they get themselves a better head coach. They have build a good defense but they dont have the coaching to exploit how good their D could be. They need to go out and get a good defensive coach.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Posted by underdogg

I think the Titans secondary had an incredible year in 08. I see that being an anomaly. It seems like everyone was getting INTs (Griffin, Finnigan et al) and I can't see that happening again. Whoever replaces Haynesworth, simply put, will not be as good as Haynesworth was the last few years (best DT in football ?), the pass rush won't be as good, even though they drafted Marks. The key is stopping the running game (tough to do with White and Johnson) and make Collins beat you with a mediocre receiving corps.

As previously stated I am not entirely sold on Schaub. Cassel had a better year and he hadn't played since high school. Yeah I know Schaub was injured, but I can't see him beating superior defenses (SD, Pitt, Tennessee) in the playoffs or the reg. season. Jacksonville has no Taylor, thus allowing defenses to focus on Jones-Drew and making Garrard beat you. The O Line should be better (Monroe, Britton), but again their QB is David Garrard.

I think Brown will help Peyton and Addai. Not sold on Gonzalez, just yet. The Colts brass has to hope Moala or someone not named Sanders will help stuff the run.

The Pats have Jacksonville's 2nd round pick so a nice 5-11 or 6-10 record would do just fine, thank you.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from JulesWinfield. Show JulesWinfield's posts

Nothing for either of our teams to be upset about in that Power ranking.  Legitimate concerns.  But one thing that no one seems to say is that Brady's medical status is a question mark.  We all expect to see him out there, but there really isn't a stellar history of complete recoveries from ACL surgery within a year.  Most players can return the next year, but they're not really the same until two years removed.  Brady's liable to experience pain that affects his play, or lose mobility, or simply be less accurate because of all the time and effort spent rehabbing the knee (rather than throwing passes).  Who knows?  I wouldn't say that the Pats stand out from the grouping of hopefuls until I see that Brady is going to be a better-than-average QB this year...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Physics. Show Physics's posts

As everyone else has noted, it is easy to default the Steelers to #1 because of winning the SB and seeing not much of the landscape change too much. I think it fair to suggest that the Pats should be the 'favorites' according to Vegas, which is more of the general public consensus mixed with population density...

That is, I think it reasonable to suggest that if you ask a casual NFL fan right now, flat out, pick between either the Pats with Brady back, or the Steelers, I think the Pats probably get more backers nationwide because Brady and BB carry a bit more weight than Tomlin and Ben.  People might not *want* the Patriots to win, but I don't think fans think about these Steelers in the way fans/teams would be think about playing against the Brady-led Pats (aging D and all).  Personally, I'm still more frightened by Peyton Manning than anyone else in the league, because great QBs are really the showstoppers in the NFL and I think a smart QB always gives your team a chance. Big Ben still has not convinced me he's at that level just yet, as tough as he is. That is, I still think the fact the Steelers missed out on facing Tenn in the playoffs last season was a *huge* deal. That Chris Johnson injury was not something trivial. As much as I don't want to believe in the Titans, they played tough all year when they needed to and I think were the best team in the AFC. They may not win as many games, but I like that style of play. I think they were the first team I've seen in that division that really took it to the Colts when it mattered. They also hammered the Steelers as I recall. I would suppose as an NFL fan, I'm upset I didn't get to see that rematch in the playoffs... It is like in 2007 when the Chargers upset the Colts in that wild game (often overlooked because of the Pats-Gianst Superbowl)... a part of me was thinking the Colts were still the better team, had some really dumb plays, and should have never lost to a Rivers-less and LT-less Chargers, and this is going to really give the Pats a much less difficult AFC title test than they would have normally gotten... As much as I like the Chargers, I simply would have rather had the Colts won and taken their best shot (which probably would have been better that following week after regrouping)... call me old fashioned.

Also, people talk about the Steelers D, but this is a D that *didn't* necessarily fare well against the 2007 Patriots, and as I recall, went into that 2007 game with a lot of talk (Anthony Smith?). They did better than most, however and held up for a while. Still, in any case, it really doesn't matter because Pats and Steelers fans as much as anyone know how injuries and back-up QBs can derail a season or potentially cost one's team a Superbowl. I mean, we've seen how bad the Steelers are without Big Ben, and he's not nearly given the same credit as Brady is (unfairly, as BB is a great QB in terms of winning/value), but then we shouldn't discount just how much better the  Pats offense is with Brady just because Cassel did 'well'..

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

phys - without being to simple, I subscribe to the defense wins championships maxim.  I think that is how the pats generally won theirs and why they did not win them after. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

I really can't see Matt Schaub in the AFCCG in 2010. I don't see the Colts running away with the division so much as I don't see anyone stepping up to knock them off .
    Posted by JohnHannahrulz

Sounds almost like the second coming of the AFC West but with 1 more win for the division winner.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

In Pat Kirwan's power rankings he ranks the Pats behind the Steelers giving the reason that "If the Patriots had secured a veteran outside linebacker, they would have been considered for the top spot." Thanks Pat;) Full article here: http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d810536b4&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true
    Posted by jcuff-uk

AND.....???? Training camps haven't opened yet, the first real sweat has yet to drop, the first snap from center has yet to be taken, the first season ending injury hasn't occured in a meaningless game yet. WHO CARES?

The Squealers won the SB, and they are the best until proven otherwise. That plus a piece of cake schedule. Sure the Pats wemnt 11-5 without Brady. But, all 5 losses were to AFC opponents, 4 of which made the playoffs. NOT a good sign. Talk to me when we're 1/2 way through the season.   

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

phys - without being to simple, I subscribe to the defense wins championships maxim.  I think that is how the pats generally won theirs and why they did not win them after. 
    Posted by underdogg

Wow, even though the Pats D is ranked in the top 10 nearly every year in the past 10 years?

Your reasoning makes no sense...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

Nothing for either of our teams to be upset about in that Power ranking.  Legitimate concerns.  But one thing that no one seems to say is that Brady's medical status is a question mark.  We all expect to see him out there, but there really isn't a stellar history of complete recoveries from ACL surgery within a year.  Most players can return the next year, but they're not really the same until two years removed.  Brady's liable to experience pain that affects his play, or lose mobility, or simply be less accurate because of all the time and effort spent rehabbing the knee (rather than throwing passes).  Who knows?  I wouldn't say that the Pats stand out from the grouping of hopefuls until I see that Brady is going to be a better-than-average QB this year...
    Posted by JulesWinfield

Phillip Rivers, Carson Palmer?  Both had less time than Brady to recover and both had good a good year the following season.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Physics. Show Physics's posts

Posted by underdogg

I'd agree, as it is clear the years the Pats 'had it', they generally won. I wouldn't overlook 2007 with the Pats, however... it is easier to liken that team to the Rams of a few years back... incredible offense, overlooked quality D down the stretch... I mean, I give the Giants credit, but I still think most casual fans would agree that their win was a lot like the Pats first Super Bowl... The Pats D played well enough to win in the playoffs, although as I noted before, I think they would have been tested by a healthy Indy instead of a beat-down Chargers roster (who still showed up for a while).. I mean, that Indy - Chargers 2007 game was about as atypical as I've seen for the Colts... I don't know if I can totally credit the Chargers for that one... The Colts just played horrible, it seemed..

As for the Steelers, yeah, I guess it is hard to judge them because Ben has often underwhelmed me in big games, but it is obvious the Steelers are horrible without him, too... Granted, I always look QB-outward with teams, not Defense-outward...  IMOP, and obviously I expect some disagreement, I've generally felt with the two Steelers Super Bowls, he's only really beat one solid team/QB without huge flaws in the playoffs, the Colts in Indy, and admittedly, that game was an incredible test. I don't like lumping it all on Ben, esp. that year, but that is what we all do with Brady now, so I'll go with it w/r to Ben and the Steelers.... Obviously, the Pats screwed that one up for him as well, giftwrapping a game to Denver... That is to say, does the national impression not look a lot different of Ben if he walks into Foxboro and beats the Pats that year after also walking into Indy and beating Peyton (with special shout out to 'beating' Palmer/Kitna...)? I certainly think so... I mean, if anything, the Pats loss at Denver probably cost Ben a very good shot of being legitimately considered in the same class now as Brady and Manning.. Odd, huh? Really, you go through Palmer(#3), Manning(#1a), then Brady(#1b), hard to look at that and call it a 'cheapie' if you then also beat Seattle in the SB with probably QB (#6) at that time..

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

Yes, I really don't think Ben is as good as the qb's you mentioned, but he is a winner, and he doesn't need to be as good with the rest of the team being as good as they are.  Steelers look much more like the pats of the winning years than that of the team the pats currently have constructed. 

Jules - I tend to agree with you although there are some ways to get athletes back quicker these days.  I thought Brady had 2 ligament damages which would prolong recovery a bit, but on the ACL alone, the historical way to repair it is by taking a center piece of the patellar tendon from the affected knee and using it to replace the shreded ACL.  These days, there are some docs (for athletes in particular) that are taking the patellar tendon from the unaffected knee.  While this damages a good knee (somewhat, and also apparently has moral implications) it is less trauma to the bad knee and recovery is speeded up.  I've seen people walk normally one week post op after using this technique.  I'm not suggesting they were healed, but walking normally that quickly was shocking to me. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

Yes, I really don't think Ben is as good as the qb's you mentioned, but he is a winner, and he doesn't need to be as good with the rest of the team being as good as they are.  Steelers look much more like the pats of the winning years than that of the team the pats currently have constructed.  Jules - I tend to agree with you although there are some ways to get athletes back quicker these days.  I thought Brady had 2 ligament damages which would prolong recovery a bit, but on the ACL alone, the historical way to repair it is by taking a center piece of the patellar tendon from the affected knee and using it to replace the shreded ACL.  These days, there are some docs (for athletes in particular) that are taking the patellar tendon from the unaffected knee.  While this damages a good knee (somewhat, and also apparently has moral implications) it is less trauma to the bad knee and recovery is speeded up.  I've seen people walk normally one week post op after using this technique.  I'm not suggesting they were healed, but walking normally that quickly was shocking to me. 
    Posted by underdogg

Merriman had less time to recover from his knee surgery and he is scheduled to be back by the beginning of the season.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

m - being scheduled to be back and even cleared to be back are two things that are not the same as actually "being" back. 

While the knee may be physically healed and the ligament and muscles have tested to be equally as strong as the other leg, there is a real psycholgical barrier and even "game speed" physical issue to overcome.  From all reports, however, it sounds like Brady is doing well - of course we all know not to believe anything that the patriots report.  right?

Sections
Shortcuts