Kirwan ranks Patriots 2 on NFL.com

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

Re: Kirwan ranks Patriots 2 on NFL.com

[QUOTE]m - being scheduled to be back and even cleared to be back are two things that are not the same as actually "being" back.  While the knee may be physically healed and the ligament and muscles have tested to be equally as strong as the other leg, there is a real psycholgical barrier and even "game speed" physical issue to overcome.  From all reports, however, it sounds like Brady is doing well - of course we all know not to believe anything that the patriots report.  right?
    Posted by underdogg[/QUOTE]

Yeah, you are right...The Colts were way up front on the number of surgeries that Manning had last year....and we all saw how bad he was at the beginning of the year.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

M -

1.  number of surgeries is not a reporting requirement of the league. 
    2.  If there is one thing that Belichick has taught the league, its that unless you are dishonest about your injury report like he is, he will take advantage of you.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Here's what I think would be funny:

Football players are always dealing with a seemingly endless array of nagging injuries, so how about you just list everyone on the team as "questionable" every week and leave it at that?

god . . .   I have got to find a way to stop using the phrase "endless array."

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

endless array - plethora - superfluity - full spectrum - overabundance - profusion

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 347pg. Show 347pg's posts

I like "endless array" with "full spectrum" a close second.  Sounds like you've actually counted, categorized, and arranged them in a scientific kind of way, lending credibility to the argument.  I was thinking "conglomerate", but that sounds too business-like.  Multitude and myriad are like plethora, superfluity, overabundance and profusion - vocabulary crutches for the weak-minded!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

plethora and full spectrum were my own.  the others were from a thesaurus, which surprised me because I thought they all died thousands of years ago.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

I hate the Steelers but they do have the best D in the NFL, especially at LB.  They deserve to be ranked #1 as defending SB  champs.  But the fact is this means next to nothing.  What matters for us Pats fans is a healthy Brady.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Physics. Show Physics's posts

Anyway, back on point, I don't necessarily think it is a disgrace/disrespectful to be ranking the Pats #1 or #2, as I really don't think these 'Pats' were knocked off once Brady went down with injury, either. I think the Pats always have the target on their backs regardless, same with the Colts... I don't think anyone 'looks forward' to the Pats/Colts on their schedule... I grant you, football is football and injuries happen... and in that same light, players and teams get old overnight so you need to assess teams on what they are *now*, not what they were *then*. I think this Patriots team will be 'close' to what the 2007 team was, e.g., Brady should have to rebound, but he also has more time under his belt with this Moss/Welker tandem, probably a better RB situation, etc... I'm still not sure if anyone really had a 'blueprint' for stopping the Pats O, e.g., it isn't like just any team can reproduce what the Giants did. .. never really got to see what teams would attempt. I mean, even still I think there were some trap games like Miami and that opening 'Wildcat' act that might still have beat the Pats even with Brady... so, I can't completely rule that out...

If I had to guess, I'd side with Brady coming back and the Pats being a slight favorite over any other AFC team with him. I mean, I think all I need to claim to Steelers fans is just to remind them how bad the Steelers are without Big Ben and imagine that is what the Pats are like without Brady... I think if they believed that, they'd immediately side with my logic, too...  That's just me, so that's how I'd bet if I made the trip to Delaware (don't know when that'll start up... but man those places will be packed).... I'd probably put the Giants at #2 if I thought they had a replacement for Burress (they still impressed me last season in defense of the title even though they lost to a decent Eagles team)... As a guess, I'd probably put the eventual champion of the AFC south over the Steelers with a target. I think, as always, most of this will also come down to bye weeks, so I'd tend to think it is reasonable to suggest the Pats have a solid chance at one of those with the Jets and Miami possibly taking a step back and maybe the Bills being about the same. I can't claim to have dived into teh stats of which of the legit contenders is most liekly to have the easiest path to 13 wins or so...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

That's Kirwan playing politics.  As a national correspondent you can't stiff the Super Bowl Champs without tons of bitter emails calling for your job.  No one from New England will call for Kirwan to step down, we'll just assume he's ignorant. 

Pats are #1. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Calmy. Show Calmy's posts

The Giants were the best team last year until Plax happened, road wins at PHI, PITT, AZ and they crushed BALT at home, those are the final 4 in you are scoring at home.... all this w/ out Osi who will be back and they also added Chris Canty, meaning the D-Line is stacked.  With a full pre-season to develop an offensive strategy w/out Burress I look for the G-men to be the best team again, like they were for the first 12 weeks last year.  NE/NYG round 2.......how fun would that be?? 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

Strong points calmy and since the gints beat the pats in the prior sb, could be that maybe they should be above the pats?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Calmy. Show Calmy's posts

[QUOTE]Strong points calmy and since the gints beat the pats in the prior sb, could be that maybe they should be above the pats?

Not necessarily.  W/out Plax the offense became very ordinary, so they need to show they can get back to the offensive proficiency they had w/ Burress now that he is gone.  The Giants were putting up huge numbers against good teams, they really had a pretty unstoppable attack going.  It wasn't Burress' production it was the attention he demanded, which opened up so much for other guys in the offense.  I still think the smartest thing they could do would be to get an Edwards or Bouldin but they drafted two WR's in the first 3 rounds so it looks like that is the direction they are going.  It is a brutal division and a 1st place schedule so better than 11-5 may not be realistic, but that I'll take my chances with that defense in January.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

I had a perfectly reasonable, cogent post to add to this engaging thread, but I just read underdogg's "thesaurus" joke and I'm probably going to be on the floor laughing for a while.

Carry on.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

[QUOTE]M - 1.  number of surgeries is not a reporting requirement of the league.  2.  If there is one thing that Belichick has taught the league, its that unless you are dishonest about your injury report like he is, he will take advantage of you.

1) As I recall the reports were not correct on Manning at the beginning of last year. 

2) Insert any coach into that comment and you are correct....Dungy has done the same thing.  If you deny it, then you are dumber than a rock in a raging river.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

Question of the day:

How is a raging river rock dumber than a rock?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

[QUOTE]The Giants were the best team last year until Plax happened, road wins at PHI, PITT, AZ and they crushed BALT at home, those are the final 4 in you are scoring at home.... all this w/ out Osi who will be back and they also added Chris Canty, meaning the D-Line is stacked.  With a full pre-season to develop an offensive strategy w/out Burress I look for the G-men to be the best team again, like they were for the first 12 weeks last year.  NE/NYG round 2.......how fun would that be?? 
    Posted by Calmy[/QUOTE]

The G-men lost their D Coordinator and 2 of their starting WR's and theur back up RB, they Do have a realy good D, but they are not going to be up there with NE.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

[QUOTE]Strong points calmy and since the gints beat the pats in the prior sb, could be that maybe they should be above the pats?

LOL!  That is funny!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

[QUOTE]Question of the day: How is a raging river rock dumber than a rock?

LOL!  Thanks for proving how dumb you are...re-read that again....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

Did I prove how dumb I was?  As dense as I am, please explain?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

[QUOTE]Did I prove how dumb I was?  As dense as I am, please explain?

No explanation needed..you are doing a fine job entertaining us.....

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

M - It would have been better if just had not responded, because now it looks like you really can't explain yourself. 

Sections
Shortcuts