Kirwan's Analysis

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Re: Kirwan's Analysis

Well Russ...lets just consider 2006 forward. This about the time, actually a year before the defensive rebuild began...and still ongoing I might add. Since that time, our defenses have ranked statistically lowest in the nfl in many categories. Over the course of that 6-7 years, bb has hit on almost every first rounder with the exception of maeriweather, Maroney and you could add to a degree mccourty because he was never intended to play safety and I wonder just how bad of a cb he would continue to be beyond his second year had he stayed in the position.  I would say mccourty is a decent safety, not so great a corner. So, that's 2.5 picks of the first round that in my estimation didn't work as intended. 2.5 picks over a 6 year span, removing 2008 because we lost our first. I would also consider the mccourty pick something bb had to do given how many CBS we missed on years prior. 

how about round 2? This is where things really get ugly. Do I have to remind you how many corners and now with the departure of Chung and the reach with Wilson, safeties we didn't hit on? Chung, Wilson (jury out), dowling, Wheatley, butler. 5 picks for the secondary just in round 2, and who of them is either still here or any good? And, Chung, butler and dowling are all high 2nd round picks, dowling and Chung bordering 1st rounders. Now, I know u will say everyone hits and misses and I agree. My point is some of these picks, like dowling and Wilson for example were known reaches or had injury histories and one would wonder why the selection at all at that point in the draft. And this is just the secondary. Throw in Cunningham, brace too. What is odd is that these are all defensive players were picked by a defensive genuIs. Defensive genius as coach I agree ....not as a talent evaluator nor GM. 

round 3 doesn't look so great either. His saving grace is he has got some good picks in round 4-7 and UDFAs. One could argue that the necessity to have so many udfa and late rounders on the team is a direct result of missing so often in the early rounds. 

I think bb is a masterful coach. I think he manages the cap very well while winning. I don't think he is a great talent evaluator, nor drafter, anwin mixed bag of results in FA. We win in the regular season due to Brady and bb. We that've a hard time in the post season because both of them lay eggs and we just don't have the quality of player on the roster in certain positions that count. At least my estimation. If you want to call me a moron fine. I don't know how u dispute known draft or FA blunders which in my mind set us back considerably. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

Well Russ...lets just consider 2006 forward. This about the time, actually a year before the defensive rebuild began...and still ongoing I might add. Since that time, our defenses have ranked statistically lowest in the nfl in many categories. Over the course of that 6-7 years, bb has hit on almost every first rounder with the exception of maeriweather, Maroney and you could add to a degree mccourty because he was never intended to play safety and I wonder just how bad of a cb he would continue to be beyond his second year had he stayed in the position.  I would say mccourty is a decent safety, not so great a corner. So, that's 2.5 picks of the first round that in my estimation didn't work as intended. 2.5 picks over a 6 year span, removing 2008 because we lost our first. I would also consider the mccourty pick something bb had to do given how many CBS we missed on years prior. 

how about round 2? This is where things really get ugly. Do I have to remind you how many corners and now with the departure of Chung and the reach with Wilson, safeties we didn't hit on? Chung, Wilson (jury out), dowling, Wheatley, butler. 5 picks for the secondary just in round 2, and who of them is either still here or any good? And, Chung, butler and dowling are all high 2nd round picks, dowling and Chung bordering 1st rounders. Now, I know u will say everyone hits and misses and I agree. My point is some of these picks, like dowling and Wilson for example were known reaches or had injury histories and one would wonder why the selection at all at that point in the draft. And this is just the secondary. Throw in Cunningham, brace too. What is odd is that these are all defensive players were picked by a defensive genuIs. Defensive genius as coach I agree ....not as a talent evaluator nor GM. 

round 3 doesn't look so great either. His saving grace is he has got some good picks in round 4-7 and UDFAs. One could argue that the necessity to have so many udfa and late rounders on the team is a direct result of missing so often in the early rounds. 

I think bb is a masterful coach. I think he manages the cap very well while winning. I don't think he is a great talent evaluator, nor drafter, anwin mixed bag of results in FA. We win in the regular season due to Brady and bb. We that've a hard time in the post season because both of them lay eggs and we just don't have the quality of player on the roster in certain positions that count. At least my estimation. If you want to call me a moron fine. I don't know how u dispute known draft or FA blunders which in my mind set us back considerably. 

I agree with most of this, however I would have to disagree with BB not being a great evaluator of talent - I think he knows talent, he can see it, etc. I just think Bill fell in love with the deal/chase, getting value, trading back to pick up more assets and endding up with reaches. I think this burned him - I think he fully expected player X to be there in a group of 15 similarly rated players and more times than not he wasn't - instead we ended up getting the Cunninghams of the world. I also think he drafted for need a bit too much in the second round - old GMs will tell you to never draft for need high. I can see the need to draft for need with players leaving and getting hurt, but I think it burned us...we still need the same players after years of drafting for them...we reached.

I think most NFL coaches know how to evaluate talent and I think most can do it at an incredible level. When I was younger I was watching BB's first preseason game here, it was in Ohio - we had a free agent runner from the Bears carrying the ball for us - he was a known player and I was excited to watch him. I thought the guy did alright in the game...nothing too fancy...some power, ran low, etc. Well the announcer (Gerry Glanville) watched him for two seconds and said he looks like he had lost a step (lost his burst), the other announcer had no clue...neither did I...the next day Belichick cut him. Now here's a guy (Glanville) that is basically a former goof ball coach and yet he was able to see that a power back had lost a step based off a few 3 yard runs into the hole. I think most of them can do that - especially if Glanille can. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Dear Rust,

One more thing regarding "salary cap hell"...is salary cap hell when you are an organization that cannot keep players that are young and good...or is it when they decide to cut old, high priced, ineffective players? Or is it the constant scary shifting of players on and off a roster...ruining continuity?

Please explain - I'm confused about if we possibly previously were in "salary cap hell" at one point, because we too lost young and supurbly talent players at key positions, that we have not yet been able to replace (Seymore, Asante Samual). Does that mean we were poorly managed because we could not "afford" to retain such players? Then there was the case of not being able to "afford" a young Deion Branch (boy we could of used him that year when we had Reche Caldwell dropping balls in the AFC championship game...ugh). So are mismanaged teams/poor cap managers judged on their ability to retain young, top of the line talent? Or are they judged on how they sign a guy to ludicrous contracts - keep them until they get old - then cut them on the last year of their deal...saving the team 10 million in a matter of minutes? Because to me it seems like a wiser thing to sign these guys to outragious contracts and then cut them when they become old and ineffective...like Green Bay did with Woodson...like the Giants did with Canty...like the Lions did with Van Bosch....saving millions...using players. We could of signed  Asante, Branch and Seymore...we would of won another Super Bowl...and we could of dumped them on the street when we were done with them.

I think it's ok to make mistakes, so therefore I'm happy we have had the decade we did, because we still won a lot of game despite the fact that we could of won more if we hadn't screwed a few things up. It's ok. What is not ok, is saying Belichick is the best GM of all time and then calling everyone else stupid because they don't agree with you. We had the most draft selections of any team over the last five years...we've had more cap space than many teams over the last five years...yet our defense has been consistently ranked with the lowest  units in the NFL over that time frame. Not good.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Your analysis is maybe only flawed by focusing on picks in a vacuum. 

You focus on BB as a talent evaluator and then try to determine that narrowly focusing on what happens here in NE with the Patriots.

You would need to focus on what he has done with his picks and FA's against what every other organization has done over the same span of time. If you do not then its irrelevent in my opinion. While I do not believe he would come out number 1 with all things included it would not suprise me to find that he came out in the top 10 although i have no idea of that.

Also, someone did actually do the leg work in recent years to determine which organization had the most number of players drafted still active in the league, when the report/analysis was done. It was the Patriots, at the time.

If you are going to judge someone on their pure talent evaluation, I think you have to unquestionably give the nod to the organization that identifies talent more consistently than others. Meaning the organization with the most active players in the league that was drafted by them.

Whether they ultimately work out long term for your team or not is irrelevent to their pure talent and potential for making it in the NFL is some capacity or role.

...just my opinion

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to ClarkGriswold's comment:

In response to Low-FB-IQ's comment:

Your analysis is maybe only flawed by focusing on picks in a vacuum. 

You focus on BB as a talent evaluator and then try to determine that narrowly focusing on what happens here in NE with the Patriots.

You would need to focus on what he has done with his picks and FA's against what every other organization has done over the same span of time. If you do not then its irrelevent in my opinion. While I do not believe he would come out number 1 with all things included it would not suprise me to find that he came out in the top 10 although i have no idea of that.

Also, someone did actually do the leg work in recent years to determine which organization had the most number of players drafted still active in the league, when the report/analysis was done. It was the Patriots, at the time.

If you are going to judge someone on their pure talent evaluation, I think you have to unquestionably give the nod to the organization that identifies talent more consistently than others. Meaning the organization with the most active players in the league that was drafted by them.

Whether they ultimately work out long term for your team or not is irrelevent to their pure talent and potential for making it in the NFL is some capacity or role.

...just my opinion

They won't do that. They live in a bubble and have never left the Boston area.  They clearly don't have friends who are fans of other teams either.

They either purposely leave out those contexts (other teams by comparison) either by design or they are that irrational.

No one said a word about BB's drafts the years they won SBs.  That's the difference. Since Brady got his toys in 2007, NE has lost TWO SBs, one off a lockout where all that was needed was better QB and offensive play.

None of this "BB has traded back too many times and ruined my life" rhetoric would exist if Tom Brady was better in his last 2 SBs or just better in the postseason in general. Patrick Chung doesn't play offense.

Look at the arrogance and immaturity of their comments, too. Mt Hurl just literally said:

"We could have signed Seymour and Samuel."  This proves he doesn't get economics and finances and shouldn't even be involved in these threads, because that kind of a comment proves he doesn't even get it.

BB is without question the best GM of the cap era. They keep saying he isn't, but they refuse to name someone who has the better resume. Then, when they say Brady is the reason BB is great, I can point to Brady's horrendous last 3 AFC Title games.

3 rings in 4 years, 2 additional SBs where his offense/QB underperformed to no fault of his as a GM, and hopefully they can make runs at a couple more.

Truth is you're blaming the wrong guy in all of this (Brady), instead you should be focusing on the defensive side of the ball that has been in the process of being "rebuilt" for the last five years. LMAO! Five years! We tried to "rebuild" our defense with the likes of...Haynesworth, Bants Cain, Springs, Leigh Bodden, Shaun Ellis, Steven Gregory, Jonathan Fenene, Butler, Chung, Dowling, Cunningham, and countless others that aren't even worth mentioning. None of that was Brady's fault...sorry:( 

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Seahawks #1 in the article. But how can it be? Russ is never wrong, he said so many times (well maybe once he was wrong about Chung)

yet Russ said only yesterday;

Pete Carroll will never win a SB.  I am glad you think that bozo is NFL material. Most humans do not.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Wow. The mods deleted my last response to Mt Hurl?  Yet, Hurl, RKarp, PHat Rex, Ricky, Schumpters Ghost as trolls are all allowed to run amuck on here?

Quite the little setup you have here, Mt Hurl. Troll, troll some more, then when someone has you absolutley cornered in a debate, run to the mods for protection. Isn't that interesting.

I really get you upset, don't I? Why? It's only football. Is it the fact that you are proven wrong bother you that much? I know you have been banned by specific comments and posts you've made about me - sadly I never got a chance to read the posts because they were removed so quickly (along with you). So take it easy salary cap manager...relax...you don't want to find yourself having to open up another account.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

You're not blaming TB but you single out HIS performance.  Dohhh!

Are you for real or some kind of computer program whose only purpose is to disrupt and hijack every single thread with your ignorance?  Really?

There is no defense of this d ickless D for the past 5 years.  They have done nothing but sucked the life out of an otherwise good team.

Do you know how many points Flacco would have scored in the SB without a defensive pick, a ST TD, or a 8 possession game?  14, yup that's right 14.  THAT is exactly what TB had to deal with in his SB quest.  No defensive help, only hinderance.  No picks, never leaving the field,  penalties to negate fumble recoveries and no game winning goal line stand and the worst starting field position in SB history.  NOTHING!!!

Who is to blame for that? The guy you continously deem as not responsible.  The guy who drafts  and collects FA's as if they were antiques at a flea market.

The guy who has tried to replace a hand full of players for the past 6 years and has failed miserably with each draft pick being replaced every other year  ( cut in their rookie contracts) and each FA lasting a season (if that) or maybe two.

They replaced BRNCH with an OLDER BRANCH for cripes sakes.  Not one single FA or draft pick( that worked) to replace him.  NOT ONE!

We are not even talking about replaing probowlers with probowlers.  We are talking about replacing probowlers with several failures who can't even stick or contribute, at all!

That is what Hurl is talking about, dumb azz. replacing guys like Samuels, Branch, Seymore, with failure after failure and $$$$ to find all these failures and the inability to replace even one of these guys in the past 6 yrs with one guy that can even contribute for a year.

Itr's musical freaken chairs with 3 seats and 30 guys, so far, trying to fill them.  UGH!

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Hello! Let me introduce myself, I'm PKL (pat Kirwan lover). As PKL I will continue to demonstrate my stupidity regarding a certain hall of fame quarterback Tom Brady. Did you all know that Tom is a poor game manager and the reason why we haven't won a Super Bowl in nearly ten years?? He is - and he's also spoiled. If only we had more guys like Patrick Chung and Rasi Dowling...we would win it all!!!! I'm telling you...just ask Pat.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to pezz4pats' comment:

Are you for real or some kind of computer program whose only purpose is to disrupt and hijack every single thread with your ignorance?  Really?

There is no defense of this d ickless D for the past 5 years.  They have done nothing but sucked the life out of an otherwise good team.

Do you know how many points Flacco would have scored in the SB without a defensive pick, a ST TD, or a 8 possession game?  14, yup that's right 14.  THAT is exactly what TB had to deal with in his SB quest.  No defensive help, only hinderance.  No picks, never leaving the field,  penalties to negate fumble recoveries and no game winning goal line stand and the worst starting field position in SB history.  NOTHING!!!

Who is to blame for that? The guy you continously deem as not responsible.  The guy who drafts  and collects FA's as if they were antiques at a flea market.

The guy who has tried to replace a hand full of players for the past 6 years and has failed miserably with each draft pick being replaced every other year  ( cut in their rookie contracts) and each FA lasting a season (if that) or maybe two.

They replaced BRNCH with an OLDER BRANCH for cripes sakes.  Not one single FA or draft pick( that worked) to replace him.  NOT ONE!

We are not even talking about replaing probowlers with probowlers.  We are talking about replacing probowlers with several failures who can't even stick or contribute, at all!

That is what Hurl is talking about, dumb azz. replacing guys like Samuels, Branch, Seymore, with failure after failure and $$$$ to find all these failures and the inability to replace even one of these guys in the past 6 yrs with one guy that can even contribute for a year.

Itr's musical freaken chairs with 3 seats and 30 guys, so far, trying to fill them.  UGH!

Hi there, Pezzy!  Hey, what did you think of Pat Kirwan's analysis?  Is BB a big meanie, still?  Awww.

I just told you what I think.  BB has tried to replace a handful of players with dozens of failures.  That's what I think.

I really don't care about other teams (GM's) track records are.  I am concerned with this team. 

The inability to replace guys on this team is mind blowing. 

Have you looked at a list of FA signings and draft picks over the past 6 years and see who actually stuck?  What, 5-7%?  UGH  That's a whole lot of wasted $$$$ and a whole lot of missed opportunity and a whole lot of years without any kind of continuity.

There are a few reasons why this team has remained competitive for years and the constant turn-over of the D and the recievers ISN'T one of them.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Hi there, Pezzy!  Hey, what did you think of Pat Kirwan's analysis?  Is BB a big meanie, still?  Awww.

I just told you what I think.  BB has tried to replace a handful of players with dozens of failures.  That's what I think.

I really don't care about other teams (GM's) track records are.  I am concerned with this team. 

Have you looked at a list of FA signings and draft picks over the past 6 years and see who actually stuck?  What, 5-7%?  UGH  That's a whole lot of wasted $$$$ and a whole lot of missed opportunity and a whole lot of years without any kind of continuity.

There are a few reasons why this team has remained competitive for years and the constant turn-over of the D and the recievers ISN'T one of them.

Maybe we've entered this "salary cap hell" rusty enjoys so much? Imagine that, we enter "salary cap hell" by signing cheap crap that took up space as Brady was left to carry this team on his shoulders for the past three seasons.

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to 42AND46's comment:

Well, a thread on its own has to be started at this point to slap RKrap and Cupcake's incredbile belligerence with their embarrassing lack of knowledge on the salary cap and reality of what poor management of the cap means for teams.  If they each weren't so wrong and yet so arrogant about not admitting how wrong they've been, this probably wouldn't be necessary.

Compare those clubs they rave about being superior to how BB has handled things, and it's night and day.

Basically, everything I've said recently on this board is reflected in Kirwan's analysis. Teams to stuggle? Ravens. Yep. Giants. Yep. Saints. Yep.  We know about the Jets and Cowboys pending disasters, but the usual playoff suspects may not be playoff teams in upcoming seasons due to poor management under the cap.

Thank you again, BB.  What we're witnessing is greatness in terms of personnel and cap management in this era.

The time has come for RKrap and Mt Hurl/Cupake to back off and admit that their unhealthy disdain for BB and with the Pats not winning a Sb every year, blaming him exclusively, is their own mental instability.

The rest of us fans will absolutely enjoy BB positioning this team for another deep playoff run in 2013:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/21663914/power-teams-for-2013-five-in-best-position-to-dominate

The Super Bowl ends the 2012 season and it's time to look at the 2013 business season. In the modern NFL, teams are built and torn down in the supposed offseason. The truth is there is no offseason in the NFL.

When summer camp opens the rosters are basically set and teams are simply practicing for the upcoming games.

Clubs with salary cap issues like the New York Jets and Dallas Cowboys are up against some tough odds to build a team ready to win in 2013.

Even the world champion Baltimore Ravens have hurdles to get over to replenish their roster and get Joe Flacco under contract. Franchising Flacco sounds easy enough, but that tag would wipe out the salary cap space they have and leave nothing to sign their own unrestricted free agents. Tough choices have to be made, and Steve Bisciotti told me personnel meetings are already under way.

More on NFL Column Pete Prisco
    Power Rankings: Ravens finish No. 1, but they won't stay thereRelated links

More NFL coverage

Teams like the New York Giants are already doing some house cleaning with the release of Ahmad Bradshaw, Chris Canty and Michael Boley, but cutting players for cap reasons doesn't mean the talent released has been replaced. There will be plenty of players on other teams released in the coming weeks.

There are 10-12 teams projected to be over the salary cap of $121 million will flood the veteran pool and make it a buyers' market in 2013. Money and cap space are real power in the coming months. If your favorite club doesn't have its ducks in order things could get rough.

To improve in 2013, teams need to grow from this point not go backwards because of cap issues, the lack of draft picks, the loss of coaches, players and the constant need to get younger.

I looked at all 32 teams and arrived at the top five in the best shape to go forward in 2013 from a football and business sense.

The criteria I used included:

• How good was the team in 2012?

• How many returning starters are already under contract?

• Is there a franchise quarterback under contract?

• How much salary cap space do they have at this point?

• Are the head coach and coordinators back for another season?

• How many significant players have five or less years of experience?

• How many veterans needed to be released for salary cap, age or injury reasons?

• Do they have a full complement of draft picks?

Taking a look at teams with these eight criteria as the barometer can put into perspective how realistic it is for a franchise to be ready for the 2013 season.

Here are my top five franchises poised to make a run in 2013 because they have the personnel, money and infrastructure in place. Keep in mind salary cap space fluctuates almost on a daily basis.

1. Seattle: The Seahawks won 11 games in 2012, return 20 starters and found their franchise QB in Russell Wilson. They also have close to $18 million in salary cap space. There are 15 significant players with five or less years of experience and they have eight draft picks. Seattle did lose its defensive coordinator to the Jaguars, but Pete Carroll is a defensive-minded coach. This team is in a great situation to start extending solid young players on their roster. GM John Schneider is an aggressive deal maker, and a few trades could bring the Seahawks even more draft picks or players to one of the youngest teams in the NFL.

2. San Francisco: The 49ers won 11 games in 2012 and almost won the Super Bowl. They return 19 starters, found their franchise QB in Colin Kaepernick but have only have $4 million to $5 million in salary cap space. They have nine significant players with five or fewer years of experience and have 11 draft picks in 2013. With extra picks in Rounds 3, 5, 6, 7, GM Trent Balke can move up if he sees players of value. It would be hard to have 11 draft picks make this roster in 2013, but that's a good problem to have coming off a Super Bowl run. If Alex Smith is traded, the Niners will have even more picks and cap space to work with this spring.

3. New England: The Patriots won 12 games in 2012. They have 19 returning starters, Tom Brady is under contract and they have about $18 million in cap space. They have 14 significant players with five or fewer years of experience but only five draft picks at this point. Bill Belichick is always capable of creating more draft picks by moving down in rounds. The Patriots will find bargain veterans in the post-draft period of free agency and have the money to sign as many as they want.

4. Green Bay: The Packers won 11 games in 2012, have 20 returning starters, Aaron Rodgers is still under contract and they have a modest $7 million in salary cap space. They have 12 significant players with five or fewer years of experience and seven draft picks.

5. Denver: The Broncos won 13 games in 2012, return 18 starters, Peyton Manning is under contract and they have close to $17 million in cap space. They have 10 significant players with five or fewer years of experience and all seven draft picks. Denver did lose its offensive coordinator to San Diego, but Manning acts like the coordinator anyway.

Teams such as Atlanta, Indianapolis, Cincinnati and Houston were all considered for the top five but fell short in one area or another when compared to these five team above. The Bengals have close to $50 million in cap space but will they use it? Indianapolis has $40 million in cap space but only four draft picks and lost its offensive coordinator.

Note that good franchises like the Steelers, Giants and Saints have cap issues that might set their rosters back at a time when the top five teams are moving forward.

•  

you just never stop do you?

first of all the Giants are releasing players from a SB Championship team, the core of which remains in place. See, that's how you do it and how any good organization does it. Thats why Eli and Cruz and JPP and Nicks and Rolle (need i go on?) will all be there-weeee bit harder to replace them

Second of all, exactly who have the Giants released that will "hurt" them next season? Exactly who that can't be replaced? Canty? Bradshaw? who exactly?

And don't you have the brains to think they have players ready to take their place or will draft their replacements, as Jerry Reese has shown he is so capable of?

Jeez this is Football 101 stuff...roster turnover is the only constant in the NFL and was even before ur sacred cap due to no guraranteed contracts and the attrition/short lifespan of players in so physical a sport.

You still don't get it and won't acknowledge it no matter how many times I have to tell you: the Giants have been drafting and building teams the same way long before their was a cap so the cap hasn't had that much effect on how they do business and how they build a team.

For the thousandth time since George Young in 1979 at the very least they are basically conservative with years and money in contracts, do not sign FA very often (and almost exclusively not the big name high price ones), draft the best athlete regardless of position, move up or down to stockpile picks and will replace vets with rookies at key positions if and when neceassary

In other words everything they taught Bill Bellichick when he was here, especially Parcells

it just never ends no matter many times ur shown to be  wrong

You're not conceding that the Giants are done next year, are you, Jints? The NFC East is theirs for the taking. The Eagles are going nowhere with Michael Vick as their starting QB. The Cowboys are disfunctional under the "leadership" of their self proclaimed GM, Jerry Jones. The Redskins likely ruined the career of RG III. They'll have to run a more traditional style of offense next season, to protect his gimpy knee.   

Which brings us to the G-men. True, they have plenty of holes to fill...with their greatest needs being on their defensive and offensive lines. That's where they should seek help in the draft. Though WR Victor Cruz is a very good slot receiver and a fan favorite...he's not worth upsetting the teams' salary structure to pay him the kind of money that he's seeking. Nor is Hakeem Nicks worthy of breaking the bank on. He's too injury prone. Eli Manning can and will make due with lesser receivers, so long as he's adequately protected.      

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to LessPhatRex's comment:

In response to mthurl's comment:

Maybe we've entered this "salary cap hell" rusty enjoys so much? Imagine that, we enter "salary cap hell" by signing cheap crap that took up space as Brady was left to carry this team on his shoulders for the past three seasons.

Rusty is just concerned that the team was so dependant on 1 receiver, Welker.  Not like in the Glory days of 2001 when there was no 'primary' receiver.  Please disregard Troy Browns 100 catches.  Most of those were targeted to others and Brown either stepped in front caught tipped passes.

Priceless!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

Name the 24+ people he's brought in that haven't worked since the transition season of 2009.

Thanks.

You just said "dozens", which means multiple dozen, so name the 24+. 

NE was 14-2 in 2010.  Brady deer in the headlights in the playoffs, 4 rookies starting on D couldn't bail him and the offense out.

NE was 13-3 in 2011 off a lockout and were IN THE SB.  Did you like Brady's Safety, INT or less than strong throw to Welker wide open? I didn't. Every Pats fan I know didn't. It would have been otherworldy if that gassed D held to bail Brady out, but they didn't.

NE was 12-4 in 2012. Brady was awful yet again in another AFC title game, his 3rd bad home AFC title game in row. 13 points were scored, which means the D needed to hold to 12 points or was directly responsible for needing to cause at least 2 turnovers to set Brady and the offense up deep in Baltimore territory. Isn't that swell.

I'll tell you what I did like in this past SB.

A defensive pick to set a a short field resulting in 7 pts, A ST TOUCHDOWN, a goal line stand and a 13 possession game allowing offenses opportunities to score.  That was special!

Wait, was it really that special?  Isn't that what teams do?  Nevermind!

Oh, Crusty.  It would be much, much, easier to list the draft picks and FA's that actually worked out (for 2 years) in the past 6 years out of approx 80-90+ players drafted and picked up, than it would to list the 75+ failures.