Koppen

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ben-umass. Show ben-umass's posts

Koppen

While other-worldly at blitz pickup and sliding protection schemes, Koppen's never been a strong run blocker. Factor in Koppen's age and uncertainty at the guard position, how can this team have a dominant running game if we can only run off-tackle?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Re: Koppen

If Light and Mankins resign there is no need to think the running game will be worse than last year. More importantly Belichick may have replaced 60% of the starting offensive line in less than three years (Vollmer, Cannon and Solder) and I think a center is taken (3rd or 2nd round in 2012) in the next draft. Don't discount the value of the blocking we get from Gronk and Crumpler (and the new kid from Marshall) both proved more than adequte as blockers. I am more concerned with blocking assignments and calls that Koppen makes on the line than the quality of protection. If Koppen, and the older players, on the line can get the young players on the same page then I have the utmost confidence in the this line to perform well. With Tom Brady as QB, pass-protecting is still more important the run-blocking. I still think we have to see what kind of running styles (sweeps vs. off tackle or screen pass to RBs) we get from Vereen and Ridley.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jamiemerrick. Show jamiemerrick's posts

In Response to Re: Koppen:
    [QUOTE]If Light and Mankins resign there is no need to think the running game will be worse than last year. More importantly Belichick may have replaced 60% of the starting offensive line in less than three years (Vollmer, Cannon and Solder) and I think a center is taken (3rd or 2nd round in 2012) in the next draft. Don't discount the value of the blocking we get from Gronk and Crumpler (and the new kid from Marshall) both proved more than adequte as blockers. I am more concerned with blocking assignments and calls that Koppen makes on the line than the quality of protection. If Koppen, and the older players, on the line can get the young players on the same page then I have the utmost confidence in the this line to perform well. With Tom Brady as QB, pass-protecting is still more important the run-blocking. I still think we have to see what kind of running styles (sweeps vs. off tackle or screen pass to RBs) we get from Vereen and Ridley.
    Posted by JohnHannahrulz[/QUOTE]

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jamiemerrick. Show jamiemerrick's posts

In Response to Re: Koppen:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Koppen :
    Posted by jamiemerrick[/QUOTE]

Agree they will stick with Koppen this year given the young players they need to integrate and the short offseason. Would not be surpised to see Mike Brewster (c) of Ohio State as our late first round pick next year. Although high for a centre he will have a solid first round grade.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from FishTaco64. Show FishTaco64's posts

Yea, I think Koppen sticks for this year with his replacement being drafted early next year, giving the Pats their O-line for the futue:

Solder, Mankins(hopefully), Drafted Center, Cannon, Vollmer

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

My concern regarding the O Line is Light coming back. Why ? because Solder might not be able to handle the LT position immediately. If want a player to play RT, I draft him in the 3rd round not the first. As previously stated protecting Brady's blindside is one the most important jobs on this team and I really don't want to see someone that is a turnstile (at all) at the position. I keep thinking Cannon could end up being a great value pick like Vollmer (only at OG).

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Connelly is a good guard and YES he could end up being a good center. And yes Koppen is old.

Losing Mankins CERTAINLY hurts the running game. BUt am thrilled with the young linemen. Blocking should at least be fine and probably a strength. I expect Vereen to be very good as a rookie. Hoping the same for the big back that followed. I expect the running game is taken to the next level. If so it will make Brady more effective and allow the D to do their thing a little more.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZachRudy. Show ZachRudy's posts

There is a distinct possibility that Koppen's replacement may already be on the Pat's roster.  You know the Pats love to develop their O-linemen.  The current back up (at least listed on Patriots.com) is Ryan Wendell.  I did not realize it until I looked it up but Wendell got in 15 games last year.  Wendell was used mostly at guard in short yardage situations with Dan Connelly as the full back.

Another option on the Patriot's roster is Thomas Austin.  He was an all ACC lineman at Clemson and split time at guard and center. 

I was really hoping the Pats would draft a center this year in the first couple of rounds.  That would allow the player to gain experience behind Koppen and be ready to take the reigns next year.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dna53. Show dna53's posts

Koppen can't handle the top notch NT anymore...here's good site http://60maxpowero.com/index.html