Kraft describes Brady’s future as a “dual decision”

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Kraft describes Brady’s future as a “dual decision”

I don't see TB in Patriots uniform in 2015.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/02/krafts-describes-bradys-future-as-a-dual-decision/

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Re: Kraft describes Brady’s future as a “dual decision”

That "productive" statement is a killer.  Brady may think he is productive, but, if the team doesn't, he is gone.  There have been players let go who may have continued to be productive but not for the money that player wants.  But, I think in Brady's case, he has been playing for the Pats at a discount for years.  Only his last contract put him at, or near, the top of the NFL QB pay scale when other, less succesfull, QBs were getting paid more than him.  At some time in his career he may have thoughts of personal success, monetarily and professionally, over team which gives him pause to move on, ala Manning. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In response to agcsbill's comment:

That "productive" statement is a killer.  Brady may think he is productive, but, if the team doesn't, he is gone.  There have been players let go who may have continued to be productive but not for the money that player wants.  But, I think in Brady's case, he has been playing for the Pats at a discount for years.  Only his last contract put him at, or near, the top of the NFL QB pay scale when other, less succesfull, QBs were getting paid more than him.  At some time in his career he may have thoughts of personal success, monetarily and professionally, over team which gives him pause to move on, ala Manning. 

bill, think about this. If BB determine TB does not add value, what other team will?

any team that shows interest will havehave to have a very good o-line. I can't see T getting faster in 2 years.

best thing is TB retires or takes a backup role, hangs on a QB coach with a chance to be OC of the Patriots someday

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Put yourself in Brady's shoes. He's not stupid. He's seen the bust after bust picked in the draft by BB for years. He knows the window is closing as well as we do. After this contract is up he just might want to go somewhere that has built a team with a good rather than a mickey mouse defense and an above average running game. (not to mention a fan base with some appreciation that actually knows how to yell)

I hope he retires a Patriot, but I fear unless BB makes much better decisions in the next 2 years Brady might well go win a SB for somebody else and we will be in full rebuild mode.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to kansaspatriot's comment:

bill, think about this. If BB determine TB does not add value, what other team will?

any team that shows interest will havehave to have a very good o-line. I can't see T getting faster in 2 years.

best thing is TB retires or takes a backup role, hangs on a QB coach with a chance to be OC of the Patriots someday

LOL

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

HOFers don't loose it that quickly unless injuries are a factor. They're just too good at it. Brady will still command big bucks after 2 years. Frankly, adding it all up, I think HE will want to leave.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

Wow - tempest in a teapot. Of course Brady evaluates himself every year and the team does the same, just like every other player on a roster in the NFL.

Farve was a special situation and except for one year in MN every team that hired him after he left GB regretted it. 

Manning was a special situation - coming off serious injury and a lost year, and a team with a huge payment due and with as close to a sure thing QB to draft with their #1 pick.

Brady's own boyhood idol ended his playing days out of SF when the team determined it had a better player at QB (in the form of a fellow hall of fame QB.) He had a few good years but no SBs after he left.

And tell me the team Brady is going to sign with that has as good a chance to get to a SB as the Pats? The obvious ones are already locked in to younger good QBs with the excpetion of Denver - and they signed Manning.

I think Brady and the Pats sit down next offseason and come to a contract extension as long as 2013 is good for him. I would not be surprised if it has a little less guaranteed yearly money than the current deal he is on. It will probably have a big final year salary that is not guaranteed so the total number is at the top of the heap as a face saving measure, but I don't think you guarantee $20M/year for 4 years to a 38 year old QB. He is a great QB, but he is probably not quite as good as he was a few years ago. Mind is better, but body is not.

I also think Brady may decide in the next few years he has had enough. He has two kids that get more interesting every year and money is not a motivating factor - he is set for life.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

A lot of Brady evaluation going on these days.  Understandable.  Brady hasn't exactly been special in recent years.  When charged with carrying the team, he has fallen flat. 

He's clearly better now than he was when he was winning superbowls (example: 2 MVP's), but his excellence hasn't been realized in an SB victory, and, in fact, has resulted in much less success than those magical SB years. 

If it doesn't beg a question it should. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

2 years is a long time. no one knows what he sit ability-wise or mindset of brady will be in 2 years.

and then on the mgt side there's ability, where the team is in the process, potential sb chances, setting up for after brady.

time and ability in 2 years are the wildcard. no one knows what things will look like then till much closer to then.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

I have read a couple of writers/analysists who believe Brady's talent has diminished some.  Let's say this is so.  If he's on the downside of his career we should see a speed up here in the next year or two.  And if this does happen I can easily see Brady go bye, bye.  If he continues as is he isn't going anywhere.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In order to sign the needed free agents THIS year, meaning Vollmer, Wes and Talib, Brady, Vince and Mankins need to restructure. Restructure means turn some money into a cash bonus, and defer salary cap money into future years of a contract. Brady has only 1 future year. The Pats can turn only $5 million this year into upfront cash, but that defers Brady's last year cap hit to $28 million. Brady has no future years to defer to. The solution is to EXTEND Brady. You saw what Manning signed for. Do the Pats extend Brady into his 40's at $20 million against the cap? 

What Kraft is saying is will Brady extend for a deal that fits the Pats salary cap needs, even though it can't be competitive with the Manning, Bree's and Flacco signings. 

Vince is into his 30's, 350 plus pounds, playing way too many snaps due to no one else on the roster to spell him ( hello Ron Brace). How much longer and how much do you pay Vince? 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I don't see Kraft's statement as anything more than a semantic variation of what he's said all along.  Of course it's a dual decision and it's always been understood that a player's productivity is the driver of his retention value.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

I don't see Kraft's statement as anything more than a semantic variation of what he's said all along.  Of course it's a dual decision and it's always been understood that a player's productivity is the driver of his retention value.

Kraft started his negotiations with Brady with these comments

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

If I'm a coach. GM or owner and I see a kid like Kapernick come out who can sit in the pocket and heave deep missles to WRs, then can run like a gazelle when he needs to I'm gonna find the next kapernick. he is the new QB prototype. he plays in the old style pocket QB ability, and can run-he's the best of both worlds.

heck we even saw Flacco escape our defense and make a long run, he's not as fast as Kapernick, but that play killed us.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to UD6's comment:

A lot of Brady evaluation going on these days.  Understandable.  Brady hasn't exactly been special in recent years.  When charged with carrying the team, he has fallen flat. 

He's clearly better now than he was when he was winning superbowls (example: 2 MVP's), but his excellence hasn't been realized in an SB victory, and, in fact, has resulted in much less success than those magical SB years. 

Zip it troll. Esiason and Sharpe just said he was the GOAT before the Raven's game. But that's not "special" in your warped world. Get a clue and go brush up on your "harmless college prank" routine.

Here's a clue for you. He's been "carrying" this team for years.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

If I'm a coach. GM or owner and I see a kid like Kapernick come out who can sit in the pocket and heave deep missles to WRs, then can run like a gazelle when he needs to I'm gonna find the next kapernick. he is the new QB prototype. he plays in the old style pocket QB ability, and can run-he's the best of both worlds.

heck we even saw Flacco escape our defense and make a long run, he's not as fast as Kapernick, but that play killed us.

Running QBs have a short life expectancy. It's always fun to watch the arm your team depends on involved a numerous train wrecks, right? Learn the game.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

Running QBs have a short life expectancy. It's always fun to watch the arm your team depends on involved a numerous train wrecks, right? Learn the game.

We'll see. kapernick didn't seem to have a problem this year

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to UD6's comment:

Awww UD is feeling a bit insecure again that his beloved Manning might be eclipsed by Brady and Brady's greater playoff success.  Brady may not have won the Super Bowl the last two years, but he piled up three more playoff wins while Manning went one and done as usual. Three and two is better than zero and one.  

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

They never do.... for a while.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

babe, they key is he doesn't run all the time, like Vick does.

I don't want a QB that runs alot, as it puts wear and tear on his legs and knees.

It would be nice to have some escape mobility, when the o-line breaks down.

We have no deisgned play like a bootleg,  or QB keeper, our best QB run play is a QB sneak.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to HelloItsMeAgain1's comment:

HOFers don't loose it that quickly unless injuries are a factor. They're just too good at it. Brady will still command big bucks after 2 years. Frankly, adding it all up, I think HE will want to leave.

Once again you are wrong, it must get tiring. Not to mention it's "lose" not "loose".

From espn.com

One of the uncomfortable truths about quarterbacks headed into their late 30s is that the cliff of performance decline can seemingly come out of nowhere in a relatively short amount of time.

Dan Fouts led the league in yards per attempt (YPA) at age 34 then only two years later had the second lowest YPA mark of his career. He called it quits after that season.

Dan Marino led the league in net yards per attempt when he was 35 years old. In each of the next three seasons, he failed to top the 7-yard YPA mark, a statistical feat that happened to him only once prior to 1996.

Fran Tarkenton led the league in touchdown passes and passer rating in 1975 at the age of 35. Two years later, his numbers saw a significant decrease and that drop-off culminated in a 1978 schedule that saw Tarkenton throw 32 interceptions and rank 25th in passer rating on his way to graduating into a broadcasting career.

Do you actually think before hitting the "add your post" button??

Favre, Elway, Moon, Montana, Young and Staubach all put up great years post age 35. Moon made the pro-bowl 5 times and Favre 3 times after that age. LMAO@U.

Pull your head out of your rump and get a clue troll.

Do you actually think?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

babe, they key is he doesn't run all the time, like Vick does.

I don't want a QB that runs alot, as it puts wear and tear on his legs and knees.

It would be nice to have some escape mobility, when the o-line breaks down.

We have no deisgned play like a bootleg,  or QB keeper, our best QB run play is a QB sneak.

A QB that can run is a great asset. But they still have to be a great passer or it is moot. Kapernick is yet to prove conclusively he is a top passer. Looks good so far, but so does Alex Smith with that team. And we all know he is nothing special.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

In response to HelloItsMeAgain1's comment:

Once again you are wrong, it must get tiring. Not to mention it's "lose" not "loose".

From espn.com

One of the uncomfortable truths about quarterbacks headed into their late 30s is that the cliff of performance decline can seemingly come out of nowhere in a relatively short amount of time.

Dan Fouts led the league in yards per attempt (YPA) at age 34 then only two years later had the second lowest YPA mark of his career. He called it quits after that season.

Dan Marino led the league in net yards per attempt when he was 35 years old. In each of the next three seasons, he failed to top the 7-yard YPA mark, a statistical feat that happened to him only once prior to 1996.

Fran Tarkenton led the league in touchdown passes and passer rating in 1975 at the age of 35. Two years later, his numbers saw a significant decrease and that drop-off culminated in a 1978 schedule that saw Tarkenton throw 32 interceptions and rank 25th in passer rating on his way to graduating into a broadcasting career.

Do you actually think before hitting the "add your post" button??

Favre, Elway, Moon, Montana, Young and Staubach all put up great years post age 35. Moon made the pro-bowl 5 times and Favre 3 times after that age. LMAO@U.

Pull your head out of your rump and get a clue troll.

Do you actually think?

all of those guys werent afraid to run it themself on 4th down and 2 with 10 minutes left in the game and their teams down two scores.

25. This post has been removed.