Kraft hints at more moves coming as a result of Brady's restructure

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

Kraft hints at more moves coming as a result of Brady's restructure

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4719605/kraft-brady-getting-big-bundle-of-cash

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Re: Kraft hints at more moves coming as a result of Brady's restructure

Not to be a wet blanket, but Kraft is also selling a brand here. He isn't going to say, "Nah, we'll just sit on the cash under the cap and pocket it," which is something they've actually done in years past. 

That said, it would be exciting to see a big move. 

But I expect NE will be waiting around to nab something in the second round of cuts. I think one of the simmering stories is the fate of Freeney before his bonuses, and he seems like exactly the kind of player BB looks for as "value" on the open market. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In Response to Re: Kraft hints at more moves coming as a result of Brady's restructure:
    Not to be a wet blanket, but Kraft is also selling a brand here. He isn't going to say, "Nah, we'll just sit on the cash under the cap and pocket it," which is something they've actually done in years past.  That said, it would be exciting to see a big move.  But I expect NE will be waiting around to nab something in the second round of cuts. I think one of the simmering stories is the fate of Freeney before his bonuses, and he seems like exactly the kind of player BB looks for as "value" on the open market. 
    Posted by zbellino

With all due respect, I'm not sure why they would think that.  They just paid TB a kings ransom in bonus to save more cap.  It's still $$$ out of his pocket.
    I feel they'll spend the cap minus a little in reserves for emergencies.
    I think they are all aware TB won't be there forever and they need to make it happen, soon.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Brady has always been flexible with his contract, I'm sure making a lot of loot as an endorser helps along with a billionaire wife... still, it's nothing to scoff at, he doesn't have to take a pay cut.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

In Response to Re: Kraft hints at more moves coming as a result of Brady's restructure:
    Brady has always been flexible with his contract, I'm sure making a lot of loot as an endorser helps along with a billionaire wife... still, it's nothing to scoff at, he doesn't have to take a pay cut.
    Posted by wozzy

He didn't take a pay cut.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In Response to Re: Kraft hints at more moves coming as a result of Brady's restructure : With all due respect, I'm not sure why they would think that.  They just paid TB a kings ransom in bonus to save more cap.  It's still $$$ out of his pocket. I feel they'll spend the cap minus a little in reserves for emergencies. I think they are all aware TB won't be there forever and they need to make it happen, soon.
    Posted by pezz4pats

Oh, I don't think that they won't find uses for the money. They need to re-up Welker, and need to fill out roster spots. 

What I was saying was that he made it seem tantalizing, like "stay tuned for more" when there have been plenty of seasons where they've fizzled out and not done much. Some that I see them regretting perhaps, like 2006, when a player or two invested in could have made a huge difference. 

My point is .... I won't read too much into it .... Kraft has to sell his brand, and BUZZ sells a brand. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

You really think Kraft at this point in his life with his accomplishents would throw out some words in attempt to "sell his brand"? I think he knows his brand is already sold, the culture that he created in his organization has become the goal of other franchises.

i think he was just answering a question as honest as he could. We have been the most active team in FA so far and he expects it to continue.

Consider me sold.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In Response to Re: Kraft hints at more moves coming as a result of Brady's restructure : Oh, I don't think that they won't find uses for the money. They need to re-up Welker, and need to fill out roster spots.  What I was saying was that he made it seem tantalizing, like "stay tuned for more" when there have been plenty of seasons where they've fizzled out and not done much. Some that I see them regretting perhaps, like 2006, when a player or two invested in could have made a huge difference.  My point is .... I won't read too much into it .... Kraft has to sell his brand, and BUZZ sells a brand. 
    Posted by zbellino

Sounds like they plan on spending the $$$, just a matter of who and when.
    http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4719613/kraft-were-in-a-position-of-flexibility

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

You really think Kraft at this point in his life with his accomplishents would throw out some words in attempt to "sell his brand"? I think he knows his brand is already sold, the culture that he created in his organization has become the goal of other franchises. i think he was just answering a question as honest as he could. We have been the most active team in FA so far and he expects it to continue. Consider me sold.
    Posted by TrueChamp

Yeah. That's how you run a business. What is going to say if they aren't going to make a move? We aren't doing anything, so don't bother reading our news clips, shopping for jerseys, or going to our website? 

That's business, whether or not they move something ... he is answering questions in any form to build his brand. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In Response to Re: Kraft hints at more moves coming as a result of Brady's restructure : Sounds like they plan on spending the $$$, just a matter of who and when. http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4719613/kraft-were-in-a-position-of-flexibility
    Posted by pezz4pats

Draftees? 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In Response to Re: Kraft hints at more moves coming as a result of Brady's restructure : Yeah. That's how you run a business. What is going to say if they aren't going to make a move? We aren't doing anything, so don't bother reading our news clips, shopping for jerseys, or going to our website?  That's business, whether or not they move something ... he is answering questions in any form  to build his brand. 
    Posted by zbellino

Dude your ruining my buzz!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

They must of known at this point Light was leaning towards retirement when they restructured Brady.  That is what another 9-10 million towards the cap, I didn't know they were in Cap trouble I'm a little confused by this move if it isn't preluding to something else

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In Response to Re: Kraft hints at more moves coming as a result of Brady's restructure : Draftees? 
    Posted by zbellino

LOL!  Isn't that what they call guys hired to go to war?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In Response to Re: Kraft hints at more moves coming as a result of Brady's restructure : LOL!  Isn't that what they call guys hired to go to war?
    Posted by pezz4pats

Well, that or a vet, lol!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Not to be a wet blanket, but Kraft is also selling a brand here. He isn't going to say, "Nah, we'll just sit on the cash under the cap and pocket it," which is something they've actually done in years past.  That said, it would be exciting to see a big move.  But I expect NE will be waiting around to nab something in the second round of cuts. I think one of the simmering stories is the fate of Freeney before his bonuses, and he seems like exactly the kind of player BB looks for as "value" on the open market. 
    Posted by zbellino

Since his base was guaranteed as a signing bonus Kraft is spending the same amount of cash on Brady. Actually, if they use even 1mil more of the cap saved on another FA then that means he actually spent more money then if Brady didn't restructure to begin with, so it's not a pocket it situation.

Also they tend to go into the season with $3-6mil in cap space but they also tend to extend players throughout the year. So, by the end of the year they are usually close to the cap. At least that's what Miguels reports every year, and since reporters tend to reference Miguels I would trust it.

Kraft knows the bread and butter is to put out a winning team every year and pocketing cap space every year won't do that for you.

I'm thinking they are expecting some people to be released, or they want to extend some players (Chung, Spikes, Gronk) before they can sniff the cap expansion in 14', or they are making some room for a RFA or trade player (ala Haynesworth, Ocho last year)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillgridlocked. Show stillgridlocked's posts

If Light retires they get another $5 million in cap space.

A boatload of flexibility.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Posted by zbellino

I think there is more to it than that, but as always it is a consideration.

I think Bob shares our frustrations and sees a window closing too. I am pretty certain he is not thrilled to be in business to lose SBs either. It is not, nor has ever been his plan to simply be competitive. I have little doubt he has been demanding it be gotten right and we are currently in a crucial phase of that process.

Things have not gone the way he likes since the heady days of 2004. Spygate and epic big game failures are contrary to what he expects from his endeavor. I just don't see him being the happy camper that so many who reside in the bliss of being merely in the fight are.

Bob can certainly see, the whole word does other than some oblivious fans, that the team has a second rate D at best and has holes in other areas as well that significantly diminish its ability to hurdle the top rung.

He wants the problems fixed because he is a fan and problems hurt the business.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from quinzpatsfan. Show quinzpatsfan's posts

In Response to Re: Kraft hints at more moves coming as a result of Brady's restructure : Since his base was guaranteed as a signing bonus Kraft is spending the same amount of cash on Brady. Actually, if they use even 1mil more of the cap saved on another FA then that means he actually spent more money then if Brady didn't restructure to begin with, so it's not a pocket it situation. Also they tend to go into the season with $3-6mil in cap space but they also tend to extend players throughout the year. So, by the end of the year they are usually close to the cap. At least that's what Miguels reports every year, and since reporters tend to reference Miguels I would trust it. Kraft knows the bread and butter is to put out a winning team every year and pocketing cap space every year won't do that for you. I'm thinking they are expecting some people to be released, or they want to extend some players (Chung, Spikes, Gronk) before they can sniff the cap expansion in 14', or they are making some room for a RFA or trade player (ala Haynesworth, Ocho last year)
    Posted by PatsEng

Eng, I'm not an expert on the cap or contacts, but it looked like at the end of the article it stated brady's salary for 2013-14 were getting bumped up a little.  Are we pushing a little bit of the cap hit into the future, which is not necessarily kicking the can down the road the isn't the cap bigger under new agreement? 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

So much for the "salary cap hell" theory, we were able to save 8 million against the evil salary cap with this move without breaking a sweat.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from quinzpatsfan. Show quinzpatsfan's posts

In Response to Re: Kraft hints at more moves coming as a result of Brady's restructure : Since his base was guaranteed as a signing bonus Kraft is spending the same amount of cash on Brady. Actually, if they use even 1mil more of the cap saved on another FA then that means he actually spent more money then if Brady didn't restructure to begin with, so it's not a pocket it situation. Also they tend to go into the season with $3-6mil in cap space but they also tend to extend players throughout the year. So, by the end of the year they are usually close to the cap. At least that's what Miguels reports every year, and since reporters tend to reference Miguels I would trust it. Kraft knows the bread and butter is to put out a winning team every year and pocketing cap space every year won't do that for you. I'm thinking they are expecting some people to be released, or they want to extend some players (Chung, Spikes, Gronk) before they can sniff the cap expansion in 14', or they are making some room for a RFA or trade player (ala Haynesworth, Ocho last year)
    Posted by PatsEng

Actually got another ?

How much cap space did we acquire w brady restructure and assuming Light retires (adding $5mil) where does that put us right now approx under the cap.  Also isn't WW $9.4mill 100% cap hit, so we sign him to a new contract could we actually be under and move and if we traded him (just asking) would we save all $9.4 under the cap. 

Seems like the BOB kraft was right on we really will be in a serious position of flexiblity  with a SB appearance team, good cap space and all the draft pics we have.  Though lets not forget we lost (anderson/carter*/possibly light and Benny)  *hope to resign

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

"I think we're blessed to have the number one quarterback in the NFL," Kraft said of Brady.

I guess Bob doesn't agree with Rusty on this.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

We are a Super Bowl team thats already been the most active in FA, we have plenty of cap room and multiple early round picks.

It is a comfort knowing we have the best run organization in pro sports. The best owner, the best GM and the best coach. It sure is great being a Patriot fan!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

If Light retires they get another $5 million in cap space. A boatload of flexibility.
    Posted by stillgridlocked

Well, yes.

But given how well he played last season, I almost think I'd rather NE just kept Light instead of the savings. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

In Response to Re: Kraft hints at more moves coming as a result of Brady's restructure : Well, yes. But given how well he played last season, I almost think I'd rather NE just kept Light instead of the savings. 
    Posted by zbellino

Yeah.  Facing Mario Williams twice a year now makes it even more difficult to keep TB clean.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from quinzpatsfan. Show quinzpatsfan's posts

In Response to Re: Kraft hints at more moves coming as a result of Brady's restructure : Yeah.  Facing Mario Williams twice a year now makes it even more difficult to keep TB clean.
    Posted by nyjoseph

Maybe we still have Volmer/solder/Cannon,  Bradys got best slot WR and best TE in league, can't get to him if brady gets rid of it to quickly

Sections
Shortcuts