Kraft on Offseason Moves, "We're going to spend to the cap.." And a golden nugget for Rusty.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

Kraft on Offseason Moves, "We're going to spend to the cap.." And a golden nugget for Rusty.

Article featured on ESPN Boston. Kraft discusses the Brady deal, and has some interesting stuff to say throughout. I'm glad to hear Kraft say the following: "But this move, strategically, helps us be in a position to win. We're going to spend to the cap. Tom knows that it's not like whatever we don't pay him we're putting in the Kraft family pocket. He gets it, and now he's rooting for us to make the right decisions in building the team."

And lastly, a golden nugget for Rusty: "By the way, I have heard that it's been reported Tom made demands about who he wanted us to sign. Absolutely not. It never happened."

----------------------------------------------------

Patriots owner Robert Kraft details how quarterback Tom Brady's contract extension came to fruition in this week's "Monday Morning Quarterback" piece on SI.com, calling it a "real deal" that both sides will live by. 

Kraft tells Peter King the extension was something he had been thinking about for three or four years. 

"I was probably wearing my fan hat as much as anything else," Kraft says in the piece. "I just didn't want to ever see this become like Joe Montana leaving San Francisco, Emmitt Smith leaving Dallas, Brett Favre leaving Green Bay, Peyton Manning leaving Indianapolis. If Tom Brady played out this current contract and left us, there was no doubt in my mind that someone out there would pay him top dollar, and they should, for his ability, his leadership and his unselfishness. 

"I was just trying to stay ahead of the curve. If we were going to have to pay him elite-quarterback money and have elite-quarterback cap numbers, I just didn't think we would be able to build a team. We don't want to have a team where we're paying 18 to 20 percent to a player on the cap. I wanted to do something elegant that would work for everybody. I had been talking to him off and on for maybe 18 months, about how I wanted him to finish his career here, and about how we both have to be smart about it. I just really want him to end his career a Patriot.'' 

Kraft and Brady flew from Massachusetts to Los Angeles five weeks ago, according to King, and had plenty of time to discuss the idea of this type of contract. 

"I am glad we are able to take negotiations out of this relationship for the next five years," Kraft tells King. "Look, I don't know what's going to happen in the next five years. No one can know. But this move, strategically, helps us be in a position to win. We're going to spend to the cap. Tom knows that it's not like whatever we don't pay him we're putting in the Kraft family pocket. He gets it, and now he's rooting for us to make the right decisions in building the team. By the way, I have heard that it's been reported Tom made demands about who he wanted us to sign. Absolutely not. It never happened." 

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4740464/kraft-talks-brady-deal-in-mmqb

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Re: Kraft on Offseason Moves,

Very interesting piece.  So maybe, just maybe, this was a true win/win where neither Brady nor Kraft had a hidden agenda.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

Just read that.  Interesting article to say the least.

If you continue reading, it points out TB has basicically been underpaid for his career. averaging 5M under Payaton.

He made 8 M in 2007. WOW! 

Makes me wonder if we see the FA signings of that year to come, with obvious needs in the receiving and secondary talent.  Should be fun to watch.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I don't believe Brady has any final say on player personal decisions but on the same note I'm a bit on Rusty's side that he can give his input on who he'd like to keep around. It's naive to think Brady doesn't get some say in who he wants to throw to, but that doesn't mean he gets final say. I'm sure BB says, who did you like this year and Brady gives him feedback. But, if the numbers don't match up then BB will just say, we tried Brady but he wanted more then we could offer so we're moving on.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

If I were Tom Brady and had the kind of relationship he seems to have with both Kraft and Belichick I think I'd offer my opinion in that regard.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

I have no doubt that Brady and Kraft broached the subject of quid pro quo when they discussed Tom's extension.  I am sure Mr. Kraft gave Tom assurance enough that the team would do what it could to bring Welker back.  But the Pats aren't about to be held hostage to the requirement that Welker be re-signed as part of a deal for Brady.  What we've seen to date is that Welker and the Pats disagree about his market value, and it takes both sides to get an extension done.  There is no way Kraft would give up his team's negotiating leverage with Welker as part of a deal with Brady.  And if he did, he's not about to admit it and give Welker's agent the upper hand.   

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

We've all seen video clips from a football life where TB is sitting across from BB discussing what team defenses are doing and what they could do in response.

If BB listens to TB in that regard you don't think his opinion  holds merit and value to BB on the subject of who he trusts and feels comfort with throwing the ball to?

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

nice article, but that "golden nugget" you are referring to, is nothing.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to dreighver's comment:

Article featured on ESPN Boston. Kraft discusses the Brady deal, and has some interesting stuff to say throughout. I'm glad to hear Kraft say the following: "But this move, strategically, helps us be in a position to win. We're going to spend to the cap. Tom knows that it's not like whatever we don't pay him we're putting in the Kraft family pocket. He gets it, and now he's rooting for us to make the right decisions in building the team."

And lastly, a golden nugget for Rusty: "By the way, I have heard that it's been reported Tom made demands about who he wanted us to sign. Absolutely not. It never happened."

----------------------------------------------------

Patriots owner Robert Kraft details how quarterback Tom Brady's contract extension came to fruition in this week's "Monday Morning Quarterback" piece on SI.com, calling it a "real deal" that both sides will live by. 

Kraft tells Peter King the extension was something he had been thinking about for three or four years. 

"I was probably wearing my fan hat as much as anything else," Kraft says in the piece. "I just didn't want to ever see this become like Joe Montana leaving San Francisco, Emmitt Smith leaving Dallas, Brett Favre leaving Green Bay, Peyton Manning leaving Indianapolis. If Tom Brady played out this current contract and left us, there was no doubt in my mind that someone out there would pay him top dollar, and they should, for his ability, his leadership and his unselfishness. 

"I was just trying to stay ahead of the curve. If we were going to have to pay him elite-quarterback money and have elite-quarterback cap numbers, I just didn't think we would be able to build a team. We don't want to have a team where we're paying 18 to 20 percent to a player on the cap. I wanted to do something elegant that would work for everybody. I had been talking to him off and on for maybe 18 months, about how I wanted him to finish his career here, and about how we both have to be smart about it. I just really want him to end his career a Patriot.'' 

Kraft and Brady flew from Massachusetts to Los Angeles five weeks ago, according to King, and had plenty of time to discuss the idea of this type of contract. 

"I am glad we are able to take negotiations out of this relationship for the next five years," Kraft tells King. "Look, I don't know what's going to happen in the next five years. No one can know. But this move, strategically, helps us be in a position to win. We're going to spend to the cap. Tom knows that it's not like whatever we don't pay him we're putting in the Kraft family pocket. He gets it, and now he's rooting for us to make the right decisions in building the team. By the way, I have heard that it's been reported Tom made demands about who he wanted us to sign. Absolutely not. It never happened." 

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4740464/kraft-talks-brady-deal-in-mmqb

if I am a pats fan I am glad to hear my owner say all this

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKing's comment:

I am confused how that's a "golden nugget" for me.  I never said Brady "demands" on who to bring in.  I said his feedback is taken into account by BB.

I am sure all the great QBs have that kind of a relationship with the GM or coach in terms of who they throw the ball to.

Kraft is talking about Brady and Welker's relationship with that quote. 

yes Brady just tells his head coach what offense he will run whether his coach likes it or not

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to redsoxfan94's comment:

hi rusty!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Ignore the giants fan Russ...he like always is trying to get a rise and contribute nothing. 

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

Ignore the giants fan Russ...he like always is trying to get a rise and contribute nothing. 

completely untrue...i do contribute and hae been doing so for a long time, usually with on-topic serious comments

the idea that i have a little fun sometimes or call out an obnoxious know-it-all blowhard who needs it does not change that fact

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to 42AND46's comment:

hi rusty!

how can you be taken seriously if you keep calling me rusty? thats so ignorant, and to think you consider yourself an intelligent human being....ugh.

anyways, i didnt explain. but the reason the "nugget" is meaningless is because it doesnt prove anything that we didnt already know. we all knew the qb didnt make personell decisions, but when you invest so much in a qb like a brady, or manning, etc...you ask their opinions on subjects. im sure kraft, BB, and Brady have discussed the welker situation and most likely discussed it while brady was signing his new contract.

RSF I am only having a little fun but u have to admit: the fact that u always seem to agree with queenie (and here yet again) and never call him out (he is victim/blameless it seems) and always seem to take the ones challenging him or putting him in his place to task-starts to look awful curious

add in that queenie has been known to have about 150 different accounts with new ones popping up all the time it seems and why is it so strange me and yes others wonder sometimes?

and true to form not only do u back him here but u manage to call out the one thing in the OP that realets to him-the "golden nugget" and offer nothing else...that seems like a personal defense to me...why not ignore it or comment on the rest of the OP which is a lot more important and speaks directly about ur team? funny u jump right up to only defend queenie and attack that and only that in the OP

sorry, but I go 50/50 ur rusty

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

I am confused how that's a "golden nugget" for me.  I never said Brady "demands" on who to bring in.  I said his feedback is taken into account by BB.

I am sure all the great QBs have that kind of a relationship with the GM or coach in terms of who they throw the ball to.

Liar,you said that and more.

In response to murghkhor's comment:

What are you guys smoking.

Brady has REPEATEDLY said he is not involved with front office. He is not involved with coaching. He is not involved with personnel decisions. Blah blah. He even said that if he was Branch would never have left in 2007. He says that none of those decisions are upto him and that his opinion is not even sought. He says his job is to play with whatever personnel are available since managing the cap and everyone's salary and expectation is a complex task. Infact he tried to get involved when it was Branch and was told to buzz off and that this is not an area he needs to get involved in. BRADY IS NOT PART OF THE FRONT OFFICE. 

Baloney. You don't think Brady has a say in what WRs they go after?  He did after 2006, demanding BB make amends for sending Branch away for a 1st and Brady dealing with Caldwell as a #1.

Result? Moss and Welker, for a 2nd, 4th and 7th.

It does't matter what Brady says publicly. I would say the same thing, but there is no way they randomly pick him WR or TE talent as a way to tick him off or where he doesn't want to play with certain guys, but BB says "too bad".  The money is a different discussion.  BB is not going to put a WRs contract demands above the team, yes. That much is true.  Look at the Welker deal right now.  Welker is now under pressure to come to terms.

Brady runs a West Coast hybrid offense that has unfortunatey morphed more so into this shotgun spread thing, which means certain WRs can't fit here.

And this.....

You have Brady making more room for his buddy Welker, which means if Wes were to leave, he looks like he made the wrong choice.

And ludicrous statements like TB "DEMANDS  Woody be on the field"

LOL  Half your posts are about TB's selfish demands and how he is hurting the team with them.  Do you deny this?

Not denying TB probably has input but you act like he's a spoiled little brat that refuses to play unless he gets his way.  In fact, you've said as much.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

completely untrue...i do contribute and hae been doing so for a long time, usually with on-topic serious comments

the idea that i have a little fun sometimes or call out an obnoxious know-it-all blowhard who needs it does not change that fact

Well look on the bright side. At least you are a legend in your own mind even if the rest of us don't  think very highly of you.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

He should be banned for the constant spamming.   The mods won't do it for whatever reason.

the reason may be really very simple: even though I am a giants fan and ur a pats fan they don't like posters who are obnoxious, who routinely call names, make personal attacks and disparagements, turns every thread into an argument and fights with just about everyone, pats fan or no, except ur alter-egos, and has as such been banned a dozen times-yet is somehow always the victim or being singled out

maybe that's why i stay and u go...often?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to pezz4pats's comment:

Liar,you said that and more.

In response to murghkhor's comment:

What are you guys smoking.

Brady has REPEATEDLY said he is not involved with front office. He is not involved with coaching. He is not involved with personnel decisions. Blah blah. He even said that if he was Branch would never have left in 2007. He says that none of those decisions are upto him and that his opinion is not even sought. He says his job is to play with whatever personnel are available since managing the cap and everyone's salary and expectation is a complex task. Infact he tried to get involved when it was Branch and was told to buzz off and that this is not an area he needs to get involved in. BRADY IS NOT PART OF THE FRONT OFFICE. 

Baloney. You don't think Brady has a say in what WRs they go after?  He did after 2006, demanding BB make amends for sending Branch away for a 1st and Brady dealing with Caldwell as a #1.

Result? Moss and Welker, for a 2nd, 4th and 7th.

It does't matter what Brady says publicly. I would say the same thing, but there is no way they randomly pick him WR or TE talent as a way to tick him off or where he doesn't want to play with certain guys, but BB says "too bad".  The money is a different discussion.  BB is not going to put a WRs contract demands above the team, yes. That much is true.  Look at the Welker deal right now.  Welker is now under pressure to come to terms.

Brady runs a West Coast hybrid offense that has unfortunatey morphed more so into this shotgun spread thing, which means certain WRs can't fit here.

And this.....

You have Brady making more room for his buddy Welker, which means if Wes were to leave, he looks like he made the wrong choice.

And ludicrous statements like TB "DEMANDS  Woody be on the field"

LOL  Half your posts are about TB's selfish demands and how he is hurting the team with them.  Do you deny this?

Not denying TB probably has input but you act like he's a spoiled little brat that refuses to play unless he gets his way.  In fact, you've said as much.

hey pezz...what do u think? I say 50/50 RSF is rusty

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

Well look on the bright side. At least you are a legend in your own mind even if the rest of us don't  think very highly of you.

well the opinion of one giants fan is equal to the opinion of 10 pats fans so i will take solace in this patslifer!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

hi rusty!

how can you be taken seriously if you keep calling me rusty? thats so ignorant, and to think you consider yourself an intelligent human being....ugh.

anyways, i didnt explain. but the reason the "nugget" is meaningless is because it doesnt prove anything that we didnt already know. we all knew the qb didnt make personell decisions, but when you invest so much in a qb like a brady, or manning, etc...you ask their opinions on subjects. im sure kraft, BB, and Brady have discussed the welker situation and most likely discussed it while brady was signing his new contract.

RSF I am only having a little fun but u have to admit: the fact that u always seem to agree with queenie (and here yet again) and never call him out (he is victim/blameless it seems) and always seem to take the ones challenging him or putting him in his place to task-starts to look awful curious

add in that queenie has been known to have about 150 different accounts with new ones popping up all the time it seems and why is it so strange me and yes others wonder sometimes?

and true to form not only do u back him here but u manage to call out the one thing in the OP that realets to him-the "golden nugget" and offer nothing else...that seems like a personal defense to me...why not ignore it or comment on the rest of the OP which is a lot more important and speaks directly about ur team? funny u jump right up to only defend queenie and attack that and only that in the OP

sorry, but I go 50/50 ur rusty

and Poof!  Redsoxfan dissapears!  lol,. Glad im not the only one who noticed.....smh