Kraft Publicly Speaks About Welker

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Re: Kraft Publicly Speaks About Welker

Don't know the context of the comments, it's hard to place them in a context from a few words on Twitter.  But it's probably safe to say that from owner on down the Pats didn't think Welker was worth the bringing back unless it was for the contract that they reportedly offered him.  End of the day, the market spoke and Denver was the high bidder (if you rule out the 3rd team that supposedly bidding too).  

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

It seems there was no compromise on either side of the bargaining table.  Sometimes the best move is to move on -- and I mean for both sides.  To overpay Wes at the expense of the team was never going to happen, and at least they got a guy here in Amendola who can fit into their system.  No sure things, but it's not like the Pats had no plan B.  I still think they need to add another WR or two (a re-signed Lloyd or Edelman) and maybe draft a WR too. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I admit to not being totally objective, but I'm more inclined to accept Rober Kraft's word on any matter such as this.  He's one of the most highly regarded owners in the league at all levels.  I don't think we'll ever know for certain if what the Pats offered was a 'better deal' than what Wes got in Denver.  One thing I do know: all of it is history and it is indeed time for both sides to move on.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

I agree ATJ.  Kraft went into detail in a Mike Reiss article about the offers and the Pats' rationale for moving on.  I don't think he'd make that up to save face or for PR.  I think both sides got to a point where the circumstances led to a parting of ways.  Too bad, but it happens.  For us to sit here and question the move as fans, fine.  But I have no doubt Kraft and BB put a lot more thought into the whole situation armed with a lot better information than we have. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to CablesWyndBairn's comment:

I agree ATJ.  Kraft went into detail in a Mike Reiss article about the offers and the Pats' rationale for moving on.  I don't think he'd make that up to save face or for PR.  I think both sides got to a point where the circumstances led to a parting of ways.  Too bad, but it happens.  For us to sit here and question the move as fans, fine.  But I have no doubt Kraft and BB put a lot more thought into the whole situation armed with a lot better information than we have. 

A perspective that seems to get lost in this forum from time to time.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

So what.. Tony Mazz is so used to being lied to by Red Sox ownership that he now thinks Bob Kraft is a liar too.. Sry but Kraft has given us no reason not to believe what he says, and until he does im gonna take what he says as being the truth. 

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

it seems like the details are getting clear now. the Pats offered welker a contract that would have reached $8.5mil this year, we dont know details or following years. that was before the free agency period. his agents saw what harvin got and decided to shoot for that number. they clearly told that to the pats and they decided to move on. during the "legal tamepring period" they reached an agreement with amendola, believing that welker would either get close to what he wanted or wait around for awhile and hope that happened. they couldnt risk losing both players, so they pulled the trigger on amendola when free agency started. meanwhile, nobody was offering wes what he wanted. so he took the best offer on the table (denver) and went back to the pats hoping they would up the ante a little bit. but by that time (as kraft said, a day too late), they had already locked up amendola. so no new contract was offered. thats what welker's agents are refering to when they say he didnt get an offer and wasnt wanted back.

so in the end, neither side got what they wanted. really disappointing. now time to move on.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKing's comment:

In response to ATJ's comment:

Didn't you know that Mr Hurl, Bdbeu and Pezzy, etc, are much smarter and better as GMs than BB?

lol

Well, Welker lasted a lot longer than your boys, Lloyd and Ocho.  Seems they are the problem (with long term contracts to boot).  That and BB's drafting and replacing Bust #1 with BUST # 2 and replacing BUST # 2 with BUST # 3................

Don't think it was Welkers fault BB used him as their # 1 for years now.  Seems that was coaches decision. 

Or did TB hold a glock to BB's head  and tell him that's the way it was gonna be?   

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

King lowers the hammer. Don't hurt 'em man. 

"Reiss said Welker was looking for 8 and 3 years.     That's at least 6 million over the life of a 3 year deal"

BOOM!

Can we move on now? 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Russ...why don't you call in to the show and blast these idiots.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

p.s. I am a bit of a Felger guy (though he has his problems), not a Mazz guy as he is sackless and never stands up to Felger, except in rare instances of obscure baseball trivia. 

But I will say both these guys lost respect from me (what small amount they had) by throwing Reiss and Bob Kraft under the bus. At some point you have to assign some credibility to folks who have earned it and who provide specific details to back up their points. 

With their extreme stance Felger and Mazz are essentially saying there is no need for reporting because they won't believe any of it. That's weak.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to pezz4pats' comment:

In response to ATJ's comment:

Didn't you know that Mr Hurl, Bdbeu and Pezzy, etc, are much smarter and better as GMs than BB?

lol

Well, Welker lasted a lot longer than your boys, Lloyd and Ocho.  Seems they are the problem (with long term contracts to boot).  That and BB's drafting and replacing Bust #1 with BUST # 2 and replacing BUST # 2 with BUST # 3................

Don't think it was Welkers fault BB used him as their # 1 for years now.  Seems that was coaches decision. 

Or did TB hold a glock to BB's head  and tell him that's the way it was gonna be?   

Ocho had the longest reception for the team in SB 46. Too bad he wasn't used more, Welker less, and BJGE more.

Maybe Wes would have a ring if he played better in postseasons. Truth hurts, but he's never really played well against the better Ds, and it's not all totally his fault. The O Line got outplayed in SB 42.

Face it, no one player is above this team. Not Wes Welker, not Tom Brady.

Patriots have business and that's putting together a team of 53 to try to win a title.

Welker had the most receptions in both games.  Yes, it is unfortunate he dropped a couple of big ones but make no mistake, the offense was designed around him and the TE's that couldn't stay healthy, thus the less talented receivers (trash).

They sure didn't get to the SB because of all those other non factors you want to call receivers.  BB bought the groceries and they are now in the sewer with the rest of the human waste.  If the team can't beat the better D's, look no further than the guy who brought em.     Does a team of 53 include the bottom 5 D, also???? 

That D hurt the O worse than any drop Welker made.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Wes allowed himself to deal from a position of anger and the belief he wasn't appreciated here. He thought his deal should have been re-worked 3 years ago, he was furious over benching regarding the "toe" interview and he was pizzed at being benched the first 2 games of the year this past season.

He was correct on all three....

However, don't cut off your nose to spite your face. As it turns out he could have stayed and would have been paid more here.

Anger and revenge lead one to make poorly thought out decisions. Someday Wes will realize he allowed business and anger to intermix.

I'm gonna miss him but life stops for nobody.........

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"Felger is a girly tool. I did like how he would call Jeremy Jacobs a crook, but to seriously compare Kraft to Jacobs is a disgrace."

I did not hear that (I tend to only catch small segments of their show in between appts) but that is WAY out of line. 

"Kraft explains himself very well.  Kraft also said he used to get too attached to players, overpay and the team would be .500 or worse (Pre Belichick)."

Kraft to me has enormous credibility. If you listen to Red Sox ownership for example and how they spin everything, that's not Bob Kraft. It may be that he is just used to doing deals in an honest way but he provides the context for these things and it's hard to say he has no credibility or to dismiss his position. 

Again, it's time to move on. In a year's time we should have a very clear idea of who won this particular stare down. I'd still rather have Welker but that's only because I'm wary of bringing on another offensive player with injury history but- his injuries were freakish so hopefully he has a great year and changes in particular our red zone offense.

"Listen to Mazz's whiny voice.  Oh my is tha bad or what?" His columns are even worse, you can hear his whine as you read.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

I was one that at first really couldn't comprehend why a team would get rid of a guy averaging 110 catches a year....obviously this doesn't seem very sensible. At first I felt outraged.

I must admit I'm starting to come around. As much as I liked Wes as a player, I am starting to see that the Pats are just changing directions. One thing I think we all can admit is that there did need to be change in order to be more successful in the post season. Is getting rid of Wes the change that's needed? I hope so....but only time will tell. I think injuries have been a huge factor (Gronk) in a few post season fails.

As far as whose fault it is that they lost Wes? At this point, what's done is done, so I just don't care anymore why it happened. I just want to see this team do what it takes to win. If that means Welker not being here....so be it.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I think for the people that think Kraft isn't trying to do some damage control and perhaps isn't distorting facts a little tincy bit here and there don't live in this area. You can't even walk down the street without people saying how the Patriots let Welker go. People are asking why. A lot of people don't even know who Danny Amendola is - hell outside of Brady, Welker is the most recognizable piece of the franchise. Women love this guy...guys wear his shirt. The Patriot's fan base is a lot larger than the 200 posters on Boston.com, Kraft has to save face on this...this is his business...Welker was a big part of that.

Kraft would be beyond stupid as a business man to come out and say we didn't really want this guy...we felt there was a price we were willing to go and we weren't going to go any higher. Just because all you ticket holders don't understand what happens to 32 year old receivers, doesn't mean that we don't. Trust us - we know what we are doing - you don't. Thanks.

If he had said that, there would be trouble. He may of had to sell one of his hellicopters.   

Sections
Shortcuts