Kraft: "WE Offered Welker a Better Contract Than Welker Got. That is Sad"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Kraft: "WE Offered Welker a Better Contract Than Welker Got. That is Sad"

we wanted him back.

amendola was our backup option.

interesting.....

kraft, welkers deal is a 1 year 6 mil deal. he can be cut after the year.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Re: Kraft:

r u seeing/hearing this?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

we were willing ot go above market value.

his rep misrepresented to him what the market for him was.

he will count 4 mil toward cap this year and 8 mil next year. In another year, when it’s going to be a tight cap, that’s a lot of money.  theres no guarantee he will not be cut before year 2.

he would have gotten 8 mil hear the first year and 16 mil over 2 year withincentives

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:

he will count 4 mil toward cap this year and 8 mil next year. In another year, when it’s going to be a tight cap, that’s a lot of money.  theres no guarantee he will not be cut before year 2.

he would have gotten 8 mil hear the first year and 16 mil over 2 year withincentives

That's a bold statement to make. What were his incentives? How much were they worth? What would his signing bonus and salaries have been?

It's one thing to say it, it's another to prove it. Just like Welker's agent maintaining the pats didn't want him. Very easy to say.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to ma6dragon9's comment:

In response to bredbru's comment:

That's a bold statement to make. What were his incentives? How much were they worth? What would his signing bonus and salaries have been?

It's one thing to say it, it's another to prove it. Just like Welker's agent maintaining the pats didn't want him. Very easy to say.

yeah, id guess the agent and the pats are playing pr.

i havent seen anywhere the actual incentives. id doubt theyd put that all out there dragon.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Mike Reiss @MikeReiss

Opinion: Robert Kraft's unprecedented barrage on Wes Welker's agents a case of 2 years of frustrations boiling over.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

It will not go away.

Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer

So in the end, the Patriots are accusing Welker's reps of misreading the market, and Welker's reps are accusing NE of refusing to negotiate.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Cards on the table here, guys.  As I've said on other threads, if it comes down to a 'who-do-you-believe' scenario then I'm with Robert Kraft.  Widely respected throughout NFL by both ownership and players.  That said, I really think it's time to put the Welker thing to bed and move on.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from LittleTimmy31. Show LittleTimmy31's posts

At this point, does it really matter? Again people, let it go.....WW is gone, get over it!!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

The agent will never say they screwed up. If what RK said is true it sounds as if WW was trying to get the Pats to offer him the package again but was a day late and he was also going around his agent.

iMHO I believe the agent played chicken with the Pats and screwed up big time. Since they misread the Pats and the market. Worst of all they misread the Pats and the fact that they have a market number for every position and player. If WW took the original contract he would not now be playing to make incentives.

if he gets hurt even for one or two games the incentives become a long shot.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:

The agent will never say they screwed up. If what RK said is true it sounds as if WW was trying to get the Pats to offer him the package again but was a day late and he was also going around his agent.

iMHO I believe the agent played chicken with the Pats and screwed up big time. Since they misread the Pats and the market. Worst of all they misread the Pats and the fact that they have a market number for every position and player. If WW took the original contract he would not now be playing to make incentives.

if he gets hurt even for one or two games the incentives become a long shot.

It was the Pats who were offering him incentives.  The deal he got with Denver is guaranteed at least for the first year. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

No one knows what the incentives may have been and without the incentives it was 2 year 10 million.  Lets say the incentives included % of plays on the field.  Who controls that?  What if the incentives included 115 catches while the pats control the % of plays on the field. 

I don't care who you are, you don't become as successful as Kraft has become without knowing how to negotiate, when to hold and when to fold, and how to spin public perception. 

What Kraft is spinning isn't completely accurate and isn't completely inaccurate, but I do believe they offered the agent a take it or leave it deal.  If not, things wouldn't have happened so quickly. 

By the way, what the hell happened to Kraft's face.  He looks like he got in a fight with some parking lot asphalt, and lost.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

Cards on the table here, guys.  As I've said on other threads, if it comes down to a 'who-do-you-believe' scenario then I'm with Robert Kraft.  Widely respected throughout NFL by both ownership and players.  That said, I really think it's time to put the Welker thing to bed and move on.

I believe both sides actually. I think the Pats correctly called the market and would not budge on it. They obviously felt burnt by Welker signing the tag last year instead of working something out long term and wasn't willing to pay the extra above market because they took last years tag into account. Welkers agent most likely way overvalued the market and when he didn't hear the numbers he wanted most likely didn't come back with numbers on his own which forced the Pats hands to go after Amendola. It might have been the case where the Pats didn't think Welker would come back with an offer and Welkers agent didn't think the Pats would move so quickly on their second option.

Either case to me it's clear Amendola was the second option not the first so that means to me they thought more highly of Welker being on the team and it didn't happen. Does Amendola have the potential to be at least equal if not slightly better then Welkers production, maybe... but a sure fire upgrade like some proclaimed no, especially if he was considered the second option

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to UD6's comment:

No one knows what the incentives may have been and without the incentives it was 2 year 10 million.  Lets say the incentives included % of plays on the field.  Who controls that?  What if the incentives included 115 catches while the pats control the % of plays on the field. 

I don't care who you are, you don't become as successful as Kraft has become without knowing how to negotiate, when to hold and when to fold, and how to spin public perception. 

What Kraft is spinning isn't completely accurate and isn't completely inaccurate, but I do believe they offered the agent a take it or leave it deal.  If not, things wouldn't have happened so quickly. 

By the way, what the hell happened to Kraft's face.  He looks like he got in a fight with some parking lot asphalt, and lost.

Why are you still here?!! At least Kraft didn't cut Brady when Brady blew out his knee, where is Peyton? 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Who cares, BB finally realized that they were in a bidding war with themselves. 

No one wanted Welker but them, only one other team made a move on him when he was let go and that wasn't even a contender. It was a ticket selling move, the guy had to beg Denver for an audience. 

Tom Brady made Wes Welker, not the other way around. The Patriots will endure without Welker, Welker WILL NOT catch 100 balls in Denver. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

Agree with some of these posts!  TIME TO MOVE ON!  We got PLAN B according to Krafty...so be it.  Now bring in MORE defensive players...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

I remember seeing Manning and Irsay standing side-by-side in a tearful and heartfelt farewell press conference.  I'd say the decision to part ways couldn't have been more amicable and mutual given the turmoil of the prior year and how the Polian's left the colts virtually bereft of talent. 

Is that what we're getting from Kraft and Welker's agent? 

But that's beside the point. My comment was not at all to disparage Welker or Kraft but rather to call it like I see it. 

Did you happen to see Kraft's interview?  He had like 3 or 4 pretty raw and large scratches on his face. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:

Who cares, BB finally realized that they were in a bidding war with themselves. 

No one wanted Welker but them, only one other team made a move on him when he was let go and that wasn't even a contender. It was a ticket selling move, the guy had to beg Denver for an audience. 

Tom Brady made Wes Welker, not the other way around. The Patriots will endure without Welker, Welker WILL NOT catch 100 balls in Denver. 

Well, IF D. Thomas and or Decker go down, Wes will catch over 100 balls.  So, if he catches 90 - is that a bad season?  ....  IF all their WRs stay healthy, their offense will be very effective.  We saw what MOSS- Welker combo here led to....Crazy numbers.  Welker is a very good football player, I know even Brady would disagree with you on that. 

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

[Quote]

I remember seeing Manning and Irsay standing side-by-side in a tearful and heartfelt farewell press conference.  I'd say the decision to part ways couldn't have been more amicable and mutual given the turmoil of the prior year and how the Polian's left the colts virtually bereft of talent. 

But that's beside the point. My comment was not at all to disparage Welker or Kraft but rather to call it like I see it. 

Did you happen to see Kraft's interview?  He had like 3 or 4 pretty raw and large scratches on his face. 

[/Quote]

No one cares how you see it! =D

Man, you are a tool. Do you think we were all anxiously awaiting to hear what UD6 had to say on Welker's departure from the Patriots? =D

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

Good Grief!

PHOENIX -- Patriots owner Robert Kraft disclosed Monday that he has a pre-cancerous stage of melanoma, as he had red marks on his nose, cheek and lip while speaking with reporters.

"You should see the other guy," he joked, before urging those around him to consider having their skin examined.

After having his face examined by a dermatologist, Kraft was given a medical cream to apply over the last few weeks. He will continue doing so through the end of the month.

"It was just small spots and you couldn't see them," he said. "Hopefully it makes it go away."

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In response to jri37's comment:

Doggg your agenda is showing again.

In your first sentence you chastise everyone for not knowing what the incentives are but in the next sentence you have no problem making those supositions yourself.  Pot meet kettle...

As far as Kraft spinning public perception???? If that was the case it would have been through unamed sources to whoever they use to get their "spin" out. Kraft and BB never go public themselves to explain things. When this happens and it  is rare then it is usually to correct some misconception or in this case perhaps the truth.

As far as Kraft's face is concerned it is reported it is a melanoma.

Jri - you may call it chastising if you wish, but if that's where you are going, then the chastising isn't about not knowing the incentives, its about taking either of these guys' comments at face vaue.  The devil is in the details, and for deals not done, those generally are never known. 

And I disagree with you on the spinning public perception.  Spin is no more "authentic" than when it comes from the source itself.  I think the reason that Kraft is doing this is because 1) he's getting backlash and 2) he publicly said he wanted welker to be a patriot for life.  Typically a comment like that isn't attached to an unsaid "as long as he takes our offer without negotiation". 

Kraft didn't need to get out there on this.  That he has allows it to continue to be a story that can be rebutted by the other side.  Ultimately, I think the other side is saying that Welker wanted to be a patriot but expected a little more work from the team, and that didn't happen. 

Sorry about the Melanoma.  Hopefully its not too serious and something he can overcome. 

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

jri - every team gets backlash all of the time.  I haven't seen any comments from Belichick on this subject, only Kraft.  And I believe that Kraft's responses are because 1) he's at the owners meetings (in public) where he is subject to reporters questions, and 2) because he said before this thing blew up that he wanted Welker to be a Patriot for life. 

As for the contracts, the devil is in the details that we don't know.  Kraft is saying 2 and possibly 16.  Welker is saying 2 and 10.  If the incentives are such that they are controlled by how much time Welker spends on the field and how he produces, then those are not player friendly incentives. 

I believe reason that Kraft is so out front on this is because unlike other vets the pats have let go, everyone believes that Welker has been nothing if not a team guy and has outplayed his contract as much as anyone.  The little guy is saying pay the man.  He's proved his worth.  Kraft looks like a guy who is insensitive to that performance.  Right or wrong, that's the perception.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts