Notice: All Boston.com forums will be retired as of May 31st, 2016 and will not be archived. Thank you for your participation in this community, and we hope you continue to enjoy other content at Boston.com.

Kraft: "WE Offered Welker a Better Contract Than Welker Got. That is Sad"

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Re: Kraft:

there is no evidence of what Wes asked for, only speculation.Based on what he was offered and signed for, there is reason to believe that Wes would have accepted 3/$15;

$6M signing bonus.

2013-$2.5M

2014-$3.0M

2015-$3.5M

Cap hit 2013-$4.5M. 2014-$5M. 2015-$5.5

Based on Hartline, Jennings, Amendola numbers, the Pats would have been lauded for signing Wes to 3/$15

The financials would have been very similar to Amendola. They would have had Wes for 3 years. I do not see the Pats paying amendola after 3 years. He will be extended or released. So similar $$$, similar years, the Pats took Amendola over Wes. Do they think Amendola is better? Amendola is younger, but they would have Wes and Amendola for the same 3 years.

It appears Wes agents tried to negotiate with the Pats. It is stated the Pats made 1 offer, and did not budge or counter.

The facts are the Pats read the market on Wes very well. Wes and his agent did not. But the Pats now have a worse WR situation than they had last year (so far) due to approx $1.75M per season over the next 3 seasons.

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrtm70. Show mrtm70's posts

In response to UD6's comment:

The pats cap isn't an issue.  Brady made sure of that.  And giving welker an extra million per year for 2 years in a counter offer to keep him wasn't going to upset that.  Especially given that Amendola's # will be around that for the first couple of years.

But what you clearly keep missing is that this "counter-offer" never happened because WW & his Agent waited too long to get back to the Pats about the Pats "possibly" giving WW a counter-offer & by the time they did, the Pats had decided they couldn't wait on WW any longer and signed Dany Amendola so that they wouldn't loose him also from other interested teams since they felt they were going to most likely loose WW as well because of how negotiations with WW had already gone.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Waited too long??  For one of the team's top 2 offensive players in the last decade? 

This again proves my point.  Kraft was disnigenuous with his statement that he wanted Welker to be a patriot for life.  Those kind of attestations deserve 24 hours.  I remind you that the pats paid Amendola the same per year as welker got from the broncos and likely would have accepted from the pats. 

2 million over 2 years. 

Anyway - I think I am done on the subject.  I've worn it out.

Kraft wanted Wes, but at his price.  Kraft didn't want him badly enough to pay any more. This may be wise--we'll see what happens--but Welker got something from Denver he liked better and went there.  That's just the risk you take whenever you negotiate.  Some deals never work because the parties just can't find common ground and don't want he deal badly enough to make the required compromises.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=9070512

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Waited too long??  For one of the team's top 2 offensive players in the last decade? 

This again proves my point.  Kraft was disnigenuous with his statement that he wanted Welker to be a patriot for life.  Those kind of attestations deserve 24 hours.  I remind you that the pats paid Amendola the same per year as welker got from the broncos and likely would have accepted from the pats. 

2 million over 2 years. 

Anyway - I think I am done on the subject.  I've worn it out.

Oh look at you trolling again.  People keep focusing on the supposed trivial difference between what Wes got with the Broncos and what the Patriots offered.  THAT COMPLETELY MISSES THE POINT.  When that contract was offered the Patriots had already signed Amendola.  Why?  Because as it has already been reported numerous times by Reiss, Holley etc. Welker's representatives were insisting on a contract that was consistent with a 15 million dollar signing bonus (at the minimum) for the 24 months since Welker and NE first entered negotiations all the way through the legal tampering period this year.  That was a nonstarter for NE so when the tampering period ended they immediately signed Amendola presumably under the assumption that there was a chance that Welker was going to walk AND because despite his injury history he is younger, more athletic and could potentially be a more versatile piece in the offense.

So by the time Welker and his agent realized they had totally misread the market the Patriots had already brought in his replacement.  So then the question of offering him another contract is not just what money he is going to get paid, but how much of the team's budget they want to devote to the WR position. Despite all of this they offered him a contract that paid him more money up front AND had the potential for a larger payout.  Some people thought the incentives were steep, but this again misses the point.  The first is that if Welker continues to perform at the level he has the past few seasons he could easily get the 2 million dollars people are whining about.  More importantly if the team is going to put more money on the WR position you better dam well believe they should only pay if they are going to get their money's worth. 

Finally people keep talking about Amendola's contract.  The only way he even sees most of that money is if he is productive AND healthy (via the guaranteed money and clauses about health).  If both of those things happen then IT WAS A BETTER DEAL THAN KEEPING WES because he would be a longer term solution.  Is bringing in Amendola a risk?  Sure, but sometimes you have to take risks.  It is the nature of the dam business.  Learn the game you pathetic troll.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

What is the point of debating a troll?  His agenda requires that he defend his position and ignore the facts.  Will miss Welker.  I'm glad the Pats did what they needed to do.  Welker will be great for the Broncos

Sections
Shortcuts