Krafts comments prepping fans for a Talib departure?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

Krafts comments prepping fans for a Talib departure?

Although kraft stated he would like to bring Talib (and Edelman) back, this comment in his interview seems telling: “It's not like we have unlimited funding,” Kraft said. “[Talib] wasn't on the field a lot of the time since he's been with us. It's a balance, of us balancing all that out and what is he worth. I think he's happy here and would like to be here. We're happy with him and we'd like to have him here. Now it's just about doing business, and that's our intent.”

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4758449/kraft-loading-up-stratgey-not-for-me?ex_cid=espnapi_public

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from teegee. Show teegee's posts

Re: Krafts comments prepping fans for a Talib departure?

In response to Quagmire3's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Although kraft stated he would like to bring Talib (and Edelman) back, this comment in his interview seems telling: “It's not like we have unlimited funding,” Kraft said. “[Talib] wasn't on the field a lot of the time since he's been with us. It's a balance, of us balancing all that out and what is he worth. I think he's happy here and would like to be here. We're happy with him and we'd like to have him here. Now it's just about doing business, and that's our intent.”

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4758449/kraft-loading-up-stratgey-not-for-me?ex_cid=espnapi_public

[/QUOTE]

Too injury prone. Other team will give bigger bucks. Dennard and Ryan may have to do.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Got to hand it to Kraft - he is the unltimate business man - in that article he said he always spends to the cap (when he doesn't), how we COULD go for it all (but we won't and haven't more than once in the past ten years), how the Ravens didn't make the playoffs this year (but won the Super Bowl last year), how undrafted free agent defensive linemen did well for us and the bottom half of the roster is so important (when we finished nearly last in run defense, didn't even touch Peyton Manning in the afc title game, or Flacco last year and had to try out 30 different undrafted free agents from September till November before we could find one that could take on blocks).

Just like last year, the year before, the year before, the year before, the year before and several years before that he is telling fans NOT to get excited, we will not be going for it again. We will ride out Tom Brady until there is nothing left and when he leaves and we start to lose...and Patriot Place goes empty...then we will go for it. That's the way his business is run...why spend and "go for it" when you don't have to? When your coach and QB can get you 12 wins before getting punched in the face by teams that DO go for it in the playoffs. This guy doesn't have to go for it anymore - we have won Super Bowls and we win regualr season games with Brady and Belichick - the stadium is full.

He mentions variables and injuries...the unkown, the unpredictable fortunes of NFL teams, etc...bottom line, the teams that go for it have more...they have a better chance. We just watched it happen 3 out of the last 4 years to us in the playoffs (Denver, NY and Baltimore) all went for it and they all beat us in the post season...two of them won Super Bowls and Denver may be the third. It's not about winning Super Bowls around here anymore, it's about business, that's it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to PhatVirgin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I read it as leverage/negotiating in public before the lawyers get around the table. Meaning we want you back - but only at a discount because you're injured a lot.

[/QUOTE]

pretty much and a smart move by Kraft. I'd want the right guy back but only for short term and only on a heavily incentive laden deal based on time on the field and how much he can actually give on the field (80% Talib because of nagging ijures is not worth $5mil a year)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Countering all the questions in the media.  Just because a player "may be" a fan favorite, doesn't mean the team goes all out to keep them.  It is business.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Sounds like the Welker comments as I remember them.  We'd really love to have the guy, but funds are limited . . .

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Truthfully, I saw RK's comments and my thought went from Talib is 90% coming back to Talib is 20% coming back. 

The Pats have placed a value on him and won't go above it. Period. Another team will offer more and that will be that. Expect the Skins to be in on him.

Touched on this topic the other day. When have the pats extended themselves on a player in the Bb era other than Mankins and Vince, and both were with tremendous acrimony and Vince was franchised to start the negotiations. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

Truthfully, I saw RK's comments and my thought went from Talib is 90% coming back to Talib is 20% coming back. 

The Pats have placed a value on him and won't go above it. Period. Another team will offer more and that will be that. Expect the Skins to be in on him.

Touched on this topic the other day. When have the pats extended themselves on a player in the Bb era other than Mankins and Vince, and both were with tremendous acrimony and Vince was franchised to start the negotiations. 

You might be right. I can't say I'm broken up about it. Let's move on from this guy already (Talib, not Kraft).

I want to hear from someone who wants to re-sign Talib and who is down on Amendola because he's "injury prone." They're the same guy when it comes to getting hurt. In fact. if you ask me Amendola puts Talib to shame when it comes to playing with pain. Talib gets dinged, he's done for the day.  Amendola will gut it out, at least he'll try.

Also, I also want someone who's down on signing Adrian Wilson for $1.3 mil to justify a $12 mil guarantee/restructure for Wilfork.

Where do you stand on VW? You want him back, fine. But don't say now that you hope he's back and then complain when they re-sign him and he can't play and they're stuck with a bunch of dead money.

You want to gamble on old guys or you don't. I say move on unless he'll take vet minimum. Get a younger fat guy. There will be one out there.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bustify. Show Bustify's posts

It might be true. The Patriots are pretty tight against the cap this off-season due to the Hernandez deal. I'm sure they have a price in mind for Talib, and if he does not agree to it, he is gone.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bustify. Show Bustify's posts

In response to DeadAhead2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Maybe. I think he's just posturing a bit.  He does stuff like this every year and he usually ends it by saying "it takes both sides to come together".

Wouldn't read too much into this stuff.  The market will dictate if they can get close on the number they have in mind. If it's soft again which I think it will be, that favors NE's leverage with him.

If he's looking for some big deal, then NE can move on.

[/QUOTE]

And who will replace Talib if that happens? Everyone has seen the Patriots D become swiss cheese when Talib leaves the game...

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking1. Show harleyroadking1's posts

pay the man

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to rkarp's comment:

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You might be right. I can't say I'm broken up about it. Let's move on from this guy already (Talib, not Kraft).

I want to hear from someone who wants to re-sign Talib and who is down on Amendola because he's "injury prone." They're the same guy when it comes to getting hurt. In fact. if you ask me Amendola puts Talib to shame when it comes to playing with pain. Talib gets dinged, he's done for the day.  Amendola will gut it out, at least he'll try.

Also, I also want someone who's down on signing Adrian Wilson for $1.3 mil to justify a $12 mil guarantee/restructure for Wilfork.

Where do you stand on VW? You want him back, fine. But don't say now that you hope he's back and then complain when they re-sign him and he can't play and they're stuck with a bunch of dead money.

You want to gamble on old guys or you don't. I say move on unless he'll take vet minimum. Get a younger fat guy. There will be one out there.

[/QUOTE]

Well I was one of those guys and I'll say the same thing I said about Talib as I did about Amendola. If they sign him better spend money and get him a proper vet backup and if you do sign him make sure it's not for big money and little to no guaranteed.

As for A. Wilson vs Wilfork. I'm for extending Wilfork because he's such a big part of the team and we know he fits the system. A. Wilson was such a question mark in that regard and in a position that they had Gregory who is an average SS vs Wilfork where they have no one. I know Gregory isn't much but we didn't need to sign A. Wilson to survive. Would it have been nice to get an upgrade, of course but they weren't willing to spend for that upgrade. Wilfork on the other hand they have no one. Even if they draft high the draft pick is still a question mark so it's either you go into the season with the UDFA's (who failed after a handful of games) or you go in with a bunch of unknowns. Wilfork might be a gamble but if healthy he's at least not an unknown

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

He will be back.  Whenever Kraft makes it sound like a player will be back that player is usually gone.. and vice versa.

Talib will be back.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kjfitone. Show kjfitone's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

i just hope they use their first round pick and draft a decent player in the first round. they wont be making much of a splash in free agency this offseason so it would be nice to have a strong draft. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

Kraft isn't filthy rich because he's an average negotiator. A politically and financially responsible statement is required of him at this point. Anything other than that right now would be a strategic gaff. Business, simply buisiness 

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

Kraft is rich because he married a gargoyle with money.  Funny how the second she dies his 30 something skank shows up in the owners booth.

OH! I'm sure you would've done something like wait a few years to hit some younger azz after all that time with a"gargoyle"????? Yeah sure! YOU GO ROBERT, 

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts