Kubiak Fired

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from FishTaco64. Show FishTaco64's posts

Re: Kubiak Fired

I never understood how he lasted through all those those 6-10, 7-9, and 8-8 seasons. Year in and year out, they were highly touted as a breakout team, stacked with talent...only to go nowhere. Then once Manning goes down, they are finally able to grab control of a very weak division for two years. Whoop-de-do.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigPapi61. Show BigPapi61's posts

Living in Houston I have listened to the bashing of this man for weeks. Firing him with no hope of salvaging this season was a classless move. The team has a ton of talent yet play like overpaid spoiled children. Honestly with their talent Houston would have to try to lose 10 in a row. Firing Kubiak may have saved his life as this team is enough to give anyone a stroke.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Could be a suck for clowney in the works.  Watt and clowney together could make for an interesting pass rush. 

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

In response to DeadAhead's comment:

No way he quit.  Also, coaches contracts are guaranteed. NO need for severance packages.

It has just been reported by Ian Rapoport that the Texans position is that there was a "disconnect" between Kubiak and the front office.  This is the info I was looking for.

In short, they are throwing him under the bus, while making injury excuses, which tells me they can't even get their story straight.

McNair said this is not a "long term rebuilding" situation and GM Rick Smith said "we need to figure out what went wrong". McNair is dumb.

The reason why you keep losing all these close games is because your depth isn't there. It hasn't been built internally yet. The Jets made this same mistake.  You can't just skip the harder teambuilidng part.

Rapoport then said Kubiak had some say in some recent draft picks, but they haven't had poor drafts anyway. So, this is a clear scapegoating 101 situation by McNair and Smith.  

Smith should be fired.  He's done a poor job on salary allocation and building the back end of his roster. He is the GM, not Kubiak.  While they have a load of top end roster talent, they also don't have much depth nor has Smith made any well priced FA signings in recent years.

I highly doubt Kubiak held a gun to SMith's head and told him to give Ed Reed that money. They basically committed more to Reed instead of just keeping GLover Quin.

It's pretty sad that I can lay out what they did wrong, but they don't or don't claim to know what their issues are.

The best decisions SMith has made was walking from Mario Williams (he should have tried to deal him in 2011) and picking JJ Watt.

Watt was an easy choice, though.  Kubiak needed to go, but not like that. It makes them look bad.

All of those type of contracts are guaranteed against firing, not against quitting. You quit and you lose everything. Otherwise folks would work a day then quit.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Exactly as I said;

The Houston Texans, who own the league's worst record at 2-11, fired coach Gary Kubiak on Friday.

Expected by some to contend for a Super Bowl berth this season, the Texans rallied to win their first two games but have lost a franchise-record 11 straight since.

Owner Bob McNair said defensive coordinator Wade Phillips will serve as interim coach."This has been a very disappointing year," McNair said. "We started with such high hopes. To have this string of losses is unacceptable.

"We normally would wait until the end of year to evaluate our staff; under these extreme circumstances thought best to start the process now."

Kubiak's health also has been an issue this season. He suffered a transient ischemic attack, or "mini-stroke," on Nov. 3 while walking off the field at halftime of the Texans' 27-24 loss to theIndianapolis Colts. He returned to the team after missing one game.

Houston endured its latest loss Thursday night, falling to the Jacksonville Jaguars 27-20, a game in which the Texans committed 14 penalties for 177 yards. The Texans have set an NFL record with seven straight losses by seven points or less, according to the Elias Sports Bureau.

"What's taken place with this organization is unacceptable,'' general manager Rick Smith said. "We've got three weeks of an evaluation process left and we've got to right the ship.'"

Kubiak, 52, was in his eighth season, having coached the Texans since 2006. He posted a 61-64 record with the franchise. He was the fourth-longest tenured coach in the league, behind Bill Belichick, Marvin Lewis and Tom Coughlin.

"I want to thank Bob McNair and his family for giving me my first head coaching opportunity in the National Football League," Kubiak said in a statement. "Bob has treated me with the utmost class and respect throughout my career with the Texans. I am appreciative of him for bringing me back to Houston to coach my hometown team.

"I want thank the players and coaches for all the work they have put in during my years with the Texans. Though we came up short this season, the work, effort and sacrifice they gave me and this organization over the last eight seasons is not to be taken for granted. I want to wish them all the best."

[+] EnlargeKubiak Troy Taormina/USA TODAY Sports The NFL-worst Texans fired coach Gary Kubiak on Friday.

The first head coach to lose his job this season, Kubiak was on the hot seat following the 2010 season as well, when the Texans went 6-10. However, he rewarded McNair and general manager Smith for their patience in him, guiding the Texans to back-to-back AFC South titles the next two seasons and winning the league's coach of the year award in 2011.

McNair said the decision to fire Kubiak -- who signed a contract extension through 2014 last season -- was a hard one.

"It was difficult for me because I think so much of Gary,'' McNair said. "We're here to have a winning culture and this year has not contributed to that.''

The roster seemed to be in place to make a run in 2013 after the Texans sent an AFC-high nine players to the Pro Bowl after last season. The club features a top-level running back in Arian Foster, two of the game's better defenders in J.J. Watt and the oft-injured Brian Cushing, a solid left tackle in Duane Brown and a still-effective Andre Johnson at wide receiver.

McNair stopped short of saying he expected a Super Bowl win or appearance but did say before the season this was the most talented team in franchise history.

Quarterback has been an issue this season, as veteran Matt Schaub has struggled. When Schaub suffered an ankle injury in a 38-13 loss to the St. Louis Rams in Week 6, a smattering of home fans cheered. Schaub eventually lost his starting job to Case Keenum. On Thursday night, Schaub replaced a struggling Keenum in the third quarter.

Texans' Past 3 Seasons Category 2011-12* 2013 W-L 22-10 2-11 PPG 24.9 19.2 Opp PPG 19.0 26.9 TO diff +19 -14 *Won back-to-back AFC South titles

McNair said during Friday's news conference that Keenum would be the starter for the rest of the season.

"Case is going to be the quarterback, and give him a chance to see how he can perform," McNair said. "Jury is still out. He's shown flashes of brilliance and then shown some rookie mistakes. Improve, eliminate those and continue some of the outstanding play, and see if he can be a starting QB in the NFL."

McNair also said that despite the tough season, the Texans expect a quick turnaround.

"We expect to be right back in playoff contention next year," McNair said. "This is not a long-term rebuilding process."

It could be argued that things started to go bad for the Texans last season. They entered a Monday night game at New England with an 11-1 record but were hammered by the Patriots 42-14. They lost three of four to end the regular season, then won a playoff game for a second straight season before losing again to New England in the divisional round, 41-28.

In addition to Kubiak, the Texans also terminated the contract of special teams coach Joe Marciano. The team promoted Bob Ligashesky from special teams assistant to special teams coach.

Information from The Associated Press contributed to this report.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

It's amazing how dumb RKrap is.  It doesn't matter what they say publicly. It matters what the truth is.

Ian Rapoport said there was a disconnect between Rick Smith as the GM and Kubiak. Kubiak was given some GM power in recent years and now they're trying to imply that is why he is being let go.

The fact is, some of their best players got hurt and they lack quality depth like most teams in this league.

Thems the facts.

It would also explain WHY Ed Reed was benched AFTER Wade Phillips stepped in for Kubiak. Maybe Kubiak told Smith to go get Ed Reed.

Then again, Smith is the GM and is a big boy and needs to know how to do his job properly.

I shouldn't know more than RIck Smith. 

Hiya poodle boy!

Dumbo, the disconnect is that Smith wanted to play for next year, see what he had with some players, and play for the number 1 draft choice. Kubiak wanted to win every last meaningless game. That was the disconnect

Texans regrouping, analyzing for next year, not trying to win games. Kubiak was not coming back regardless if Houston won out. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to melswitt's comment:

In response to rkarp's comment:

In response to pcmIV's comment:

In response to TexasPat's comment:

It's Week 14...not mid-season. But you're right...it does seem kind of pointless to fire Kubiak now.

Consider the following scenario (incredibly unlikely, but possible): The Texans win their next 3 games.  That is 2 wins against playoff teams and a 3rd win against an average divisional foe.  That puts more pressure on ownership to retain Phillips as HC.  Now maybe they view that as a good thing (which would make them stupid), but given Wade's track record I wouldn't want him as HC.  If they kept Kubiak they could fire him no matter how the last 3 games play out and then have no obstacles to hiring whoever they want.

Disagree. Wade can win out and still has no chance.

The message is very clear. Next year starts today and no one is safe. 

They did Kubiak a favor. He wasnt coming back and now he can get 100% healthy for an OC job next year.

They did Kubiak a favor by embarrassing him and asking him to get a carboard box and clear out his desk a month after having a stroke as we approach the holidays here?

My god are you a piece of work.

He was there for what 7 years? I think he deserved to finish the year out.  Houston is not making the playoffs and 3 more weeks of games isn't going to improve Kubiak's chances at new OC job somehere next year.

What a ridiculous comment, which is not surprising considering the source.

The one who needs to be canned is their GM.   Start there.  Kubiak clearly needed to be replaced, but to let him go like that is ridiculous.  Wade Phillips is not better than Kubiak and Houston has no chance at a wild card.

We also don't need to see Wade Phillips get "try outs" when he's been a failed coach NUMEROUS TIMES.

What a crock.  Wade Phillips is Norv Turner. He's Rex Ryan.   Good coordinators don't always make good head coaches.

My poodle continues to sniff my butt! 

Wade is not getting a try out. He has zero shot. New season with all spots open starts today. 

Kubiak gets welcome relief and also plans for health and future opp's. Best for the team, best for the man

I am not your poodle, dumbo. Tell us again how Hooman is done for the year. lmao

Some are saying above that it's a "try out" for Wade Phillips and that's just silly.  He's been around for years with multiple other coaching jobs that he sucked at whether it be in Denver, Buffalo or Dallas.

Houston was classless in not just waiting until the end, quietly going about their business for a new coach, etc who will bring in his new staff, etc.  They didn't need to embarrass the guy, especially being there for 7 years and just experiencing a stroke.  Christ, sometimes firings like that can be be an easy lawsuit for an employee.

I would can Rick Smith and interview Pioli.   I would then see if Gruden wants to coach again and pay him big bucks, assuming Gruden doesn't want to have each the GM and coaching gigs.

I'd like that just to get rid of Gruden's smirking puss off TV games...then all we'd have to do is get rid of Mike Terrible-ico..ONLY POSSIBLE ON ESPN!

I am hearing Gruden is 1A and Shanahans are 1B....(Waswing ton will insist on firing JR and SR will resign rather than part with JR)

Also hearing Gruden is interested to come back, and interested in working with a young QB

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from AyyyBoston. Show AyyyBoston's posts

In response to melswitt's comment:

It's amazing how dumb RKrap is.  It doesn't matter what they say publicly. It matters what the truth is.

Ian Rapoport said there was a disconnect between Rick Smith as the GM and Kubiak. Kubiak was given some GM power in recent years and now they're trying to imply that is why he is being let go.

The fact is, some of their best players got hurt and they lack quality depth like most teams in this league.

Thems the facts.

It would also explain WHY Ed Reed was benched AFTER Wade Phillips stepped in for Kubiak. Maybe Kubiak told Smith to go get Ed Reed.

Then again, Smith is the GM and is a big boy and needs to know how to do his job properly.

None of us should...lmao

"The eyes don't lie"..amazing what you see on the actual playing field versus what you hear "experts" saying sometimes trying to "explain" what you just saw on the field.

I agree.  

It's why I sit back and smile every August and Sept when the anti-BB media tries to act like NE is fading and the haters/trolls all buy into it.  

The media just wants to attach themself to a new, fresh team and to avoid having to compliment BB and the PAts.

The other night Mike Mayock called the Pats the most improved team. I think what he means by that is the club is trending up.  Sure, they're dinged up on D, but the fill ins have done an admirable job.

THe offense is now balancing itself out and playing better. What else is new? BB has a team trending up because it is built from 1-53 well, while others can't or won't try to do it.

Dan Dierdork, during the Pats/Houston game itself, made mention of this.

Houston just hosted NE for their home SB all giddy with their coach returning and BB and the Pats just yet again left another AFC franchise in the dust.

I wonder if Pitt will can Tomlin?

That's one of the reasons I like BB...he values every player on the team and builds up depth throughout the roster. If he didn't, the D would be getting shredded every game after the loss of Wilfork, Kelly, and Mayo.

Some teams will/can try to get top heavy...and maybe it will work. However, it is much riskier because then you are banking on health and consistent production from all your top players. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Thems the facts.

Hiya poodle boy!

Dumbo, the disconnect is that Smith wanted to play for next year, see what he had with some players, and play for the number 1 draft choice. Kubiak wanted to win every last meaningless game. That was the disconnect

Texans regrouping, analyzing for next year, not trying to win games. Kubiak was not coming back regardless if Houston won out. 

That is not what Rapoport is saying.  That was NOT the disconnect. The disconnect is clearly rooted earlier than just what Kubiak wanted to do for 3 more games and to tank or not to tank.   I trust Rapoport, not speculation by some writer who doesn't have the right info.

I realize Kubiak was not returning which is why canning him with 3 games to go is moronic and classlesss.

You're so naive, gullible and just are not very bright which is why you struggle so badly thinking for yourself and being able to read between the lines.

Wade Phillips benched Ed Reed.  Or, Rick Smith did, while Kubiak was laying in a hospital bed. Do the math.

Ed Reed lost snaps before Kubiak missed a game;

ProFootballFocus.com

Reed's snap count has diminished greatly this year, and he played just 13 snaps in his final game with the Texans in Week 10.

According to Pro Football Focus (subscription required), he played fewer than 30 snaps in just one game from 2008 to 2012, and that was the season finale in 2012 against the Bengals, when theRavens already had their playoff spot locked up. He fell below 30 snaps twice in his seven games with the Texans.

He has battled knee and hip problems this year and had fallen to the third-string spot at safety for the Texans. He was backing up Shiloh Keo and rookie D.J. Swearinger, and now he'll be backing up Allen, Bush, Dawan Landry and maybe even Jaiquawn Jarrett with the Jets.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Thems the facts.

Hiya poodle boy!

That is not what Rapoport is saying.  That was NOT the disconnect. The disconnect is clearly rooted earlier than just what Kubiak wanted to do for 3 more games and to tank or not to tank.   I trust Rapoport, not speculation by some writer who doesn't have the right info.

I realize Kubiak was not returning which is why canning him with 3 games to go is moronic and classlesss.

You're so naive, gullible and just are not very bright which is why you struggle so badly thinking for yourself and being able to read between the lines.

Wade Phillips benched Ed Reed.  Or, Rick Smith did, while Kubiak was laying in a hospital bed. Do the math.

1) you have no clue, nor do you know more than Smith. Bwahahahahahaha!

2) Ian Rap is ok, but no one knows more about that entire division than Paul Kuharsky. 

Case closed. You are bludgeoned again.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

They did him a huge favor firing him now. He can go home for the holidays and get paid to do it. He has a chance to get away from this train wreck of a season and continue to recuperate rather than working 80 hours a week in a lame duck job. He must be enormously relieved to get away from that. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

They did him a huge favor firing him now. He can go home for the holidays and get paid to do it. He has a chance to get away from this train wreck of a season and continue to recuperate rather than working 80 hours a week in a lame duck job. He must be enormously relieved to get away from that. 

1000% correct. He is paid thru the 2014 season. He can also get an OC job next season and draw 2 salaries. 

His main focus should be to get healthy, and come Feb/March talk to other teams. 

There is no sense in him staying on these last few weeks as lame duck. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

I never understood the point of firing a coach midseason.  It just opens you up to an assistant potentially winning a few games and then there being pressure to make said assistant the HC even if he isn't the best guy for the job.  Granted there is a snowball's chance in hell that happens with Wade, but I still think it's pointless.

Phillips is getting an interview to be the permanent head coach. lol

Unreal.  I blame it all on Ed Reed. lmao

They need to can that crapball GM who doesn't understand teambuilding and salary allocation. Look at the players they've lost in recent years due to poor cap allocation (Winstone, Barwin, Quin, etc).

I realize Arian Foster is a stud RB, but he should have traded him, fleeced whoever, and then just turned it over to Ben Tate and some other draft pick prospect or something.

To me, an RB stud like a Peterson, Chris Johnson, Foster, etc, is a suicide to a team.  You end up being forced to pay a ton and it can really skew your formula.  WR and RB may be sexy positions, but the key is not to pay for them.

The QB, you kind of have to pay now, which makes the drafting and player development that much more important.

You pay Ed Reed 6 million out of desperation and to drum up excitement, but your player development and salary allocation has been poor overall off the lockout.

I think last year was their best team and now it's going to take a turn for the worse. They should sell off their best players, get a legit GM in there and figure out what coach they want to pay.

You gotta pay for a coach in this league.  KC finally just did it.

If they try to trade watt I think BB should be all over that!  

Sections
Shortcuts