Lack Of Emotion - Good or Bad?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

Lack Of Emotion - Good or Bad?

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/football/other_nfl/view/20100411out_to_mike_wright_a_wrong_patriots_super_sub_refutes_jarvis_greens_assessment/

This comes up once in a while.  Altho the article specifically refers to the emotional display of the head coach per se...my query has more to do w/ the emotion of the players on the field.

Over the past several years, it seems as if the players are fairly "emotionless on the field".  I'm not asking for a song and dance after a routine play or tackle, but it seems that a good emotional outburst after a great play/key play/game changing play would be nice - so that momentum can continue on thru the rest of the game. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Re: Lack Of Emotion - Good or Bad?

Yeah Bubba, I think we miss Tedy in that regard, someone who raises the emotion level of the team. It starts when someone makes a great play and the rest of the team feeds off of it. I think Brady is that player on the offense (or he used to be)
    but we need someone on defense to replace Tedy and Rodney as those fiery, emotional type players.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mjxg. Show mjxg's posts

I've agreed with this for the past 2 years. The only people that were fired up were the secondary. McGowan and Meriweather lit people up and they would get jacked. Other than that, everyone seemed very flat footed. TBC only got pumped when he got a sack, but being pumped 10 times for an entire season isn't going to cut it.

I've always said we need a defense with the intensity of an Ed Reed or a Ray Lewis. Note that I'm not talking skill, because both of those guys are *very* rare players, but their intensity is unmatched. We had it when Bruschi/Vrable/Seau were here, and we had it a lot in 2007 because our O gave enough of a cushion for our D to have fun and enjoy themselves, but not so much the past 2 years.

Hopefully that intensity comes back. I know Brady has it, but everyone else needs it too.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

I'm of two minds on this subject.

Intensity is a tremendous factor in a player's ability and emotion is an indicator of intensity. The ability to "fire up" your teammates -- not only with outstanding play, but also with enthusiasm -- is a useful trait.

That said, who else besides me is sick to death of marginal NFL players exploding in euphoria (and questionable dance tactics) every time they make a routine play?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsdateam. Show Patsdateam's posts

We have been a rather quiet team. But we seem to be the only team without any intensity.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

I'm not much of a rah, rah guy.  The silliness of what goes on after a routine play kills me.  Just shutup and play football.  I always like the old approach to the game.  If a guy started celebrating you made sure his life would be hell for the rest of the game.  Alas, this no longer holds true.  Celebration is expected or the team just doesn't have life.  Tell that to Butkus as well as other old time greats.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

In Response to Re: Lack Of Emotion - Good or Bad?:
    I'm of two minds on this subject. Intensity is a tremendous factor in a player's ability and emotion is an indicator of intensity. The ability to "fire up" your teammates -- not only with outstanding play, but also with enthusiasm -- is a useful trait. That said, who else besides me is sick to death of marginal NFL players exploding in euphoria (and questionable dance tactics) every time they make a routine play?
    Posted by p-mike

You mean the guy who makes one tackle AFTER the runner has gained 10 yards and he gets all stoked?? LOL.  Yeah, i'm sick of that.......

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

I'm not much of a rah, rah guy.  The silliness of what goes on after a routine play kills me.  Just shutup and play football.  I always like the old approach to the game.  If a guy started celebrating you made sure his life would be hell for the rest of the game.  Alas, this no longer holds true.  Celebration is expected or the team just doesn't have life.  Tell that to Butkus as well as other old time greats.
    Posted by garytx

Me neither. I wasn't really referring to the routine plays, but rather potential game changing plays...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mjxg. Show mjxg's posts

Yea, it's one thing being intense, energetic, and full of emotion, it's something completely different being a tool and dancing around like a fairy after making a play.

I'm not saying our guys should celebrate, but they need to bring the intensity. I watch a couple things every down:

1) how is the offense lining up?
    2) how is the defense lining up?
    3) how is each team adjusting as the QB calls out changes at the line?
    4) the execution of the play
    5) the look on our player's faces after the play is over (when I can see them)

And what I see is a lot of nothing...not happy, not sad, not angry, not intense...nothing. I see a bland face, or a tired face. I don't see determination in their eyes. I don't see anger in their eyes. I don't see that look of excitement that I used to see with some of the vets that have left or we let go. Like this:

Look at Willie's face!! You want to mess with that?!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Look at Willie's face!! You want to mess with that?!
    Posted by mjxg

no wonder manning has such a big forehead, willie brusied it up for life. LOL

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

Yea, it's one thing being intense, energetic, and full of emotion, it's something completely different being a tool and dancing around like a fairy after making a play. I'm not saying our guys should celebrate, but they need to bring the intensity. I watch a couple things every down: 1) how is the offense lining up? 2) how is the defense lining up? 3) how is each team adjusting as the QB calls out changes at the line? 4) the execution of the play 5) the look on our player's faces after the play is over (when I can see them) And what I see is a lot of nothing...not happy, not sad, not angry, not intense...nothing. I see a bland face, or a tired face. I don't see determination in their eyes. I don't see anger in their eyes. I don't see that look of excitement that I used to see with some of the vets that have left or we let go. Like this: Look at Willie's face!! You want to mess with that?!
    Posted by mjxg

For a while, I wasn't sure if I was imagining things...but, yeah....I'm glad that there are other's who don't seem to see the intensity that we have seen in the past

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

These days Willie would get a 15 yard flag for that.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

Players in one form or another reflect management and coaching. Look at Kraft and Belichick. Not exactly your ra ra guys.

The struggles from the past two seasons have nothing to do with emotion but more ability and execution so we could have players dance and celebrate but guess what? It is what it is still.

As fans, I don't mind being emotional and invested but the players should be business-like in my opinion.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME. Show NEGAME's posts

Yea, it's one thing being intense, energetic, and full of emotion, it's something completely different being a tool and dancing around like a fairy after making a play. I'm not saying our guys should celebrate, but they need to bring the intensity. I watch a couple things every down: 1) how is the offense lining up? 2) how is the defense lining up? 3) how is each team adjusting as the QB calls out changes at the line? 4) the execution of the play 5) the look on our player's faces after the play is over (when I can see them) And what I see is a lot of nothing...not happy, not sad, not angry, not intense...nothing. I see a bland face, or a tired face. I don't see determination in their eyes. I don't see anger in their eyes. I don't see that look of excitement that I used to see with some of the vets that have left or we let go. Like this: Look at Willie's face!! You want to mess with that?!
    Posted by mjxg

15 yards --15 yards for touching the QB helmet!!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

To ALL:

First off, Excellent topic to work off of here Bubba, and already posters have touched upon several different aspects regarding Intensity within This Sport and The Patriot Team which I'd like to make note of.

RE: The Modern Equivalent of NFL Players doing "An Ochocinco" on every single play...  In layman's terms, This when your team's behind by 26 points in the 4th Quarter and that team's Offensive QB while deep in their own territory targets a big-mouth WR who's been held to 3 catches all day, and as the play begins that WR catches an 8 yard throw, breaks 1 tackle & runs 10 more yards, and thus turns it into a 18 yard gain, YET the referee has to take a look at the replay in order to see IF that WR stepped outta bounds after it was just a 12 yard gain, SO that WR does a moonwalk over to the referee under the replay-hood, whips out a finskie which he had placed in his pocket for just such an occasion during pregame, unveils it to the crowd and offers it to the reviewing official...

CONCLUSION: Said player is NOT trying to be some Fiery & Emotional Lightning Rod for his teammates...said player is an imbec!le who should be fined, perhaps suspended, definately smacked around wearing just his undies while goin' through a 2-line gauntlet of his teammates, and just maybe taken out to pasture and put outta his id!ocy for the sake of this sport.

~YET...THIS instance is a far cry from A Player trying to incite his teammates to play with some, or in the case of New England's previous 2 seasons, ANY kind of emotion.
         BOTH Prairie & AP together, touched upon certain critical factors in regards to this very needed Emotional-Element On a Team, and to a degree, HOW it relates to New England's Team...

Beginning with Mike stating:
    "Intensity is a tremendous factor in a player's ability and emotion is an indicator of intensity. The ability to "fire up" your teammates -- not only with outstanding play, but also with enthusiasm -- is a useful trait."

See Prairie was on to, Such an important aspect which I wish he further detailed within the very beginning of his first sentence there, above:  "Intensity is a tremendous factor in a player's ability...".  Excellent point, BUT I believe that there's even MORE truth in the reciprocal of 2 of those terms within Mike's sentence:  "A Player's ABILITY is a tremendous factor in INTENSITY."  Ya see, Different outlook that way, thus, IT Takes a Player of a certain overall ability to be able to show intensity for that CORRECT cause, TO FIRE-UP His Team, LEAD His Team to a Win, or simply LEAD His Team to play with Desire & Passion...  Banta-Cain CANNOT get away with it, even Ty Warren CANNOT get away with it.  Ray Lewis CAN.  Teddy Bruschi COULD and DID.  In otherwords, One needs to talk the talk AND Walk the Walk...

Therefore bringing me to AP's premise:
    "Players in one form or another reflect management and coaching. Look at Kraft and Belichick. Not exactly your ra ra guys."

See AP's point CANNOT be understated here...  Like it or not, An NFL Team is the sum total of far more than simply those players who take the field to play.  YET, Those who are on the field, specifically in regards to The Pats, ARE Important...AND They're Leaderless, seemingly.  New England has a young group of core guys, and imo WITH the likes of Bruschi, Harrison, & Vrabel ALL going very quickly and on top of each other's heels, There's Been a Fizzure in those Emotional Leader Roles...a void.  Remaining, Are pretty young guys who don't carry the weight in terms of NUMBERED Years of Above Average Ability, to even get away with "Walking that Walk" IF those guys indeed were to "Talk that Talk."  Understand? 
         BUT see, Once again, Along with those extremely important guys on the field, ARE Many, Many other aspects to figure in to this "Emotional Equation."  Like it or not, These Players, just as AP states, are the sum total of several other aspects, OTHER than those guys on an NFL Field:  Schematics, Coach & Owner, and Fan Base...just to name a few.  So HOW Exactly DOES this apply to NE?  Let's see:

~Schematics:  Hmm, traditional, Bend Don't Break, very elementary 3-4 Defense...specific player skill backed more than anything by heady, weight of overall "Team Play" (knowing and counting precisely on what the guy next to you is going to do).  As of late at least, These aspects have more than trumped any sort of attacking, designed schematics & system of very specific plays for very specific individual players... 
         SUM TOTAL:  Good, but boooooring.

~Coach & Owner:  Owner, very much takes a quiet back-seat to let the far more knowledgeable NFL-wise Coach, Take the Reigns.  Coach, err-ummm, Not the most boisterous, impassioned type of personality...at least outwardly.  Luckily though, he's a control-freak who deosn't want ta have any excessive assistant help, In case that assistant heads elsewhere.  Sorta like an insanely powerful ruthlessly dead-silent Dictator, which you're totally afraid to even approach...sweet. 
         SUM TOTAL:  Good, but better for ALL else involved, To be silent & boring themselves (probably kow-tow the line of being strong & silent too).

~Fan Base:  Good Fan Base...  Oh yea, I mean:  Good Fan Base of long-time Pat's Fans who cannot get into the New Stadium.  Who Does?  Rich, yuppy pr!cks and their kids who can afford to pay and have the insider-connections, To even get Season Tickets.  BUT these guys are DIE-hard Pat's Fans since BEFORE 2003, I'll tell ya right now.  They want and trully DESERVE the best:  ZERO Losses, Max-effort from mistakeless players in every single fraction of a second of their play...  But at least they'll support them, If not with wild impassioned cheering for their Good Plays, then with spending vast money to boo and leave early when those players exhibit sub-excellent overall play.  
         SUM TOTAL:  Kids shouldn't be allowed into Gillete, and also it's really hard to decline someone's fan allegiance to their loving team that they follow simply due to the fact that they might be somewhat wealthy...So to be totally just on this one: If you make above a certain yearly income, when you show up to get into Gillette, those that don't make sh#t will tar & feather you in the parking lot.  BUT, If you're such a die-hard Pats Fan that you STILL wanna get in afterwords...you'll be tarred and feathered a second time.