Lack of Pass Rush?...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Lack of Pass Rush?...

Beyond that, Manuel was simply getting the ball out of his hands too quickly for the Patriots defense to get pressure. According to Pro Football Focus, Manuel got the ball out of his hands in less than 2.5 seconds on 14 of his 30 drop-backs. A quick-hitting, timing offense like the West Coast offense run by the Bills will always cause problems for a defense trying to get pressure.

Not too many sacks happen within 2.5 seconds, so I guess that's why we didn't see any sacks.  Still they need to get some pressure on the QB.    

Anonymis found this article by the way....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

Re: Lack of Pass Rush?...

Just to add and it is only an opinion. I thought they made Spiller the focus of what they were trying to take away. Add that to the quick release and it could account for the lack of pressures.

That being said C jones needs to win some indivisual battles and be a constant threat on the pass rush and a playmaker when he gets there.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

a BB defense is a read and react defense...so when the game plan calls for containing Spiller first, Jones and Nink both have to insure the edge first and then get after the qb. they cannot simply get after the qb leaving the edge available to Spiller, or BB pulls them (not that there is anyone behind them that can play yet). JOnes has the ability to put up Mathews or Ware type of sacks/pressures, but BB does not want him playing that style...

in addition, when the Pats do send more than 4 after the QB, the back side is too vulnerable with this DB play...the Woods TD happend when the PAts sent 5 to pressure the QB...

Pats simply do not have the personel in the back 4 defensively to play a pressure the QB game..nor does BB want a cover corner. He wants a corner that can tackle, set the edge, jam at the LOS, and then cover....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

a BB defense is a read and react defense...so when the game plan calls for containing Spiller first, Jones and Nink both have to insure the edge first and then get after the qb. they cannot simply get after the qb leaving the edge available to Spiller, or BB pulls them (not that there is anyone behind them that can play yet). JOnes has the ability to put up Mathews or Ware type of sacks/pressures, but BB does not want him playing that style...

in addition, when the Pats do send more than 4 after the QB, the back side is too vulnerable with this DB play...the Woods TD happend when the PAts sent 5 to pressure the QB...

Pats simply do not have the personel in the back 4 defensively to play a pressure the QB game..nor does BB want a cover corner. He wants a corner that can tackle, set the edge, jam at the LOS, and then cover....

Good points. What was your take on buchannon's play from last week? Surprised, he seemed to crack the lineup more frequently than Collins.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

I didnt notice the speed at which he was getting it out,but I did recognize his poise and ability to diagnose plays back there. He is no Vick but he CAN run and so I dont think the plan was ever to rush him, rather contain him and the rushing lanes. So all In all, The plan was to keep Spillar from going off and keeping EJ in the pocket. Plan worked, but our turnovers made it close. I would expect a lil more pressure tommorow only because the Jets dont have that dynamic runner to account for, but Geno being able to run means they wont blitz that much either.

I expect a bit more pressure vs Geno, but u cant blitz and let him escape contain. I expect more passive play calling and letting Geno make mistakes on his own. Defense should shut down run and make life hard on him. This Game SHOULD be Won by the Run game and our Defense. Like Old School football posed' to be        

"Take care of my B*tch, I may need her back in a couple years"

Brady to Manning after Wes signed with Denver

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

I didnt notice the speed at which he was getting it out,but I did recognize his poise and ability to diagnose plays back there. He is no Vick but he CAN run and so I dont think the plan was ever to rush him, rather contain him and the rushing lanes. So all In all, The plan was to keep Spillar from going off and keeping EJ in the pocket. Plan worked, but our turnovers made it close. I would expect a lil more pressure tommorow only because the Jets dont have that dynamic runner to account for, but Geno being able to run means they wont blitz that much either.

I expect a bit more pressure vs Geno, but u cant blitz and let him escape contain. I expect more passive play calling and letting Geno make mistakes on his own. Defense should shut down run and make life hard on him. This Game SHOULD be Won by the Run game and our Defense. Like Old School football posed' to be        

"Take care of my B*tch, I may need her back in a couple years"

Brady to Manning after Wes signed with Denver

And there it is...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

Good points. What was your take on buchannon's play from last week? Surprised, he seemed to crack the lineup more frequently than Collins.

It's tough to rotate Collins in with guys like Hightower, Spikes & Mayo playing every two downs and Mayo and Hightower playing all game even in the nickel packages. It's easier to play Buchanan cuz DEs will get tired when playing a higher tempo O like Buffalo

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I think the plan with Buchanon is to ease him in and have him ready to play by about game 10...I can see him building his snap count weekly. I think Bequette is holding a spot until either Francis or Cunningham is back (or both)

I watched the game a second time on tape and did not notice that Collins played a single snap...but then saw he played ST's....based on the game that Fred Jackson had, I am surprised that Collins did not play. I was disappointed in the coverage by the Pats LB's

I also thought Gregory played well. He is what he is...but at least in the Bills game, what he is capable of doing, he did well. I also thought it was telling that when Arrington was on the outside, the Bills went right after him (and scored despite top side help from McCourty)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:

It's tough to rotate Collins in with guys like Hightower, Spikes & Mayo playing every two downs and Mayo and Hightower playing all game even in the nickel packages. It's easier to play Buchanan cuz DEs will get tired when playing a higher tempo O like Buffalo

I see your point but if Collins has skills there is always a way to get him on the field.

simple to move Hightower to end and insert collins inside. Buchannon came in so did he sub for jones? Someone went off the field. And, Hightower has about 20 lbs on buchannon and has played with his hand in the dirt while at Bama.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:

oh i agree with you completely. He just didnt get why Collins wasnt on the field and im assuming thats BB's thought process. I would love to see Hightower rushing off the end and get Mayo-Collins as your nickel LBs since they say Collins played safety in college and Spikes has always struggled on 3rd down pass coverage. i'd even like to see Collins even come off the edge and blitz as well since he did that in college also and he is known for his speed as a LB

I see your point but if Collins has skills there is always a way to get him on the field.

simple to move Hightower to end and insert collins inside. Buchannon came in so did he sub for jones? Someone went off the field. And, Hightower has about 20 lbs on buchannon and has played with his hand in the dirt while at Bama.

i completely agree with your point i would love to see hightower on the end rushing and get mayo-collins as your nickel LBs since its a known fact spikes struggles on 3rd down. i would also like to see Collins rush of the edge as well sicne he did that in college also

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

Sacks are for the fantasy 'fans'. The important number was 1. That's the amount of scoring drives the defense allowed. Besides that the Bills never got close enough to kick a FG. The other 7 points ( I'm not counting the fumble run back ) were scored on a short field after a turnover.

Of course Babe will tell you it was all the D's fault that the game was close.

Evil's work computer name ( don't tell the boss )

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to glenr's comment:

Sacks are for the fantasy 'fans'. The important number was 1. That's the amount of scoring drives the defense allowed. Besides that the Bills never got close enough to kick a FG. The other 7 points ( I'm not counting the fumble run back ) were scored on a short field after a turnover.

Of course Babe will tell you it was all the D's fault that the game was close.

Evil's work computer name ( don't tell the boss )

perfect comment

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

[outside, the Bills went right after him (and scored despite top side help from McCourty)

[/QUOTE]

Please See

Nice X's and O's Breakdown w/ Pics of Bills Game

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I don't know? The game I watched looked like there was Chandler getting some pressure and everybody else just dissapeared - it was the first game - there's a long way to go and our two defensive tackles were probably gased from the heat. At one point I saw both Wilfork and Kelly on a knee right before the ball was snapped trying to catch a breath...can't blame them.

I imagine there will be many many changes as to how we'll be generating pressure going forward. I would expect to see Buchanon on the other side of Jones soon - also I'd like to see Collins play a Mark Anderson type of situational roll. Hopefully Armstead will play (and be effective) and Kelly will help. In the end though, I just don't think we did enough...I've felt this way for the past three off seasons. Hope I'm wrong.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

I don't know? The game I watched looked like there was Chandler getting some pressure and everybody else just dissapeared - it was the first game - there's a long way to go and our two defensive tackles were probably gased from the heat. At one point I saw both Wilfork and Kelly on a knee right before the ball was snapped trying to catch a breath...can't blame them.

I imagine there will be many many changes as to how we'll be generating pressure going forward. I would expect to see Buchanon on the other side of Jones soon - also I'd like to see Collins play a Mark Anderson type of situational roll. Hopefully Armstead will play (and be effective) and Kelly will help. In the end though, I just don't think we did enough...I've felt this way for the past three off seasons. Hope I'm wrong.

Honest concerns,   We haven't been a great blitz team, we haven't seen Collins , it's where re at the end of the season

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

If the pats re going to blitz at all this season, tomorrow nights game is the time to do it. Geno smith had a decent first outing, but was sacked 5 times and only completed 3 of 20 when blitzed. Time to bring the heat and do it sexy rexy style. Plus Kerley is out. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

If the pats re going to blitz at all this season, tomorrow nights game is the time to do it. Geno smith had a decent first outing, but was sacked 5 times and only completed 3 of 20 when blitzed. Time to bring the heat and do it sexy rexy style. Plus Kerley is out. 

Interesting stat on geno Amnd the blitz, I also don't know how good the jets are in picking it up. would love to see it, if nothing more to let future teams worry about it

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

BB hasn't sent extra rushers to start a season since 08. Every year we slowly work it into our system. We will see extra rushers more often as the year goes on.  

"Defense Wins Championships"

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

I'll echo the sentiment that BB's #1 task was to contain Spiller and Buffalo's running game.  The #2 task was to contain Manuel from taking off and running.  Manuel is an excellent runner and doesn't need that much NFL experience to run the ball, but he's a rookie passer. 

The defense was hoping that Manuel would toss the ball to a few unfortunate receivers who were about to have their lights knocked out.  At least one of those violent crunches resulted in a Buffalo fumble, and Buffalo's receivers may have gotten a bit more nervous as the game wore on.  Other typical rookie mistakes include looking your receiver all the way down the field, having your snap count guessed, not pump-faking sometimes and not selling the option that well.  BB gave Manuel plenty of opportunity and Manuel responded by only putting 14 points on the board all game. 

The New York Jets have nowhere near the equal of Spiller at tailback, and some of their linemen aren't that solid.  Geno Smith is an excellent runner.  In the Tampa Bay game, Smith didn't do well at all when the pressure came.  Against the mighty (with the emphasis on might, as in, they might be ok, might not) Tampa Bay defense, the Jets could get 3.1 yards per run.  They averaged 4.9 yards per pass.  The Jets were sacked backwards for a whopping 42 yards -- young Mr. Smith has a consistent tendency to run the wrong way. 

So, the Patriot defense needs to contain Smith but it will really help matters if one blitzer gets loose and runs straight at him.  That's why I expect considerably more emphasis on the pass rush.

D’Brickashaw Ferguson was surprisingly horrid Sunday against the pass rush and also as a run blocker, plus he had two penalties.  Inquiring minds want to know if he'll get better within four days.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

We are going to need a better pass rush than we had against the Bills, but you have to make allowances for running quarterbacks also. I'm ok with what I saw for the first weekend along those lines. 

I'm not going to bash the defense until I see a lot more from them. I don't consider them a championsip-caliber defense right now, but we don't need them to be that until the weather gets a lot colder. :)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I agree.  This guy is a rookie and isn't going to be able to get the ball out as quick as Manuel did last week.  BB needs to blitz this rookie and get a little creative and throw some things at him that he hasn't seen yet.  

Sections
Shortcuts