Lack of WR's will cost the Pats

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Spetznaz24. Show Spetznaz24's posts

Lack of WR's will cost the Pats

I realize everyone is in high spirits after yesterdays win.  Looking to next week, I still see plenty of things to worry about.  The lack of explosiveness in the passing game is a huge problem.

The lack of wide receivers / tight ends on this team is mind boggling. The whole passing game is Brady throwing to Edelman. In most cases nobody gets open.  Thompkins looks useless out there.  I know Gronkowksi is a huge part,  but the Pats should have had a backup plan for this season, especially when they knew Gronkowski wouldnt be out there for half a year and also hasn't finished a season healthy in 3 years.

It is incredibly frustrating to see the WR's that Brady has out there.  We have bottom 5 NFL talent when it comes to WR's.  Look at any roster in NFL and find even 3 teams with worse WR talent there?

Other teams constantly find WR  talent out there.  Just look at the Colts Lavon Brazill and the explosive plays he made all game. Drafted in 6th round.  Patriots cannot find a decent long threat. They cannot find a physical WR either.  The free agents they have had come in here have been busts for the most part.

Maybe there is something wrong with the  evaluation process. McDaniels went to Denver and drafted Decker and D. Thomas in same year.  Who do the Pats get?  Undrafted Thompkins or Dobson, both of whom had trouble getting open even when they were healthy. Patriots need to seriously change the way they approach the WR position.  It is time to get a big physical body out there.  Enough with the same slot WR's , that strategy hasnt worked in the playoffs.

Against the 49ers or Seahawks, the run would not work.  You cannot beat the Seahawks or 49ers with the WR's we currently have out there.  

In the offeseason the Patriots should attempt to sign E. Decker.  If not, then spend a high draft pick on a big physical WR.  It is pathetic that in his last few years in the league,  Brady has so little talent to work with. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Re: Lack of WR's will cost the Pats

Okay, did you happen to catch any games between 2001 and 2004.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cloudyandrain. Show Cloudyandrain's posts

Dosbon isn't on IR and Thomspkin will be back. Plus, we have Vereen, Ridley, and Blount.

Danny and Julius look really good.

Don't be fool, Spentaz. SD similar to the Colts was depleted  with injuries on offense and defense.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from getdrunkstupit. Show getdrunkstupit's posts

ty law.  lawyer milloy.  willie mac.  id take those players over this set.  they offset the crappy wr back in the day.  bruschi wasn't an all star but man he was a play maker. 

jamie collins could be a play maker but the pats will have him benched next season for sure. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from the-redsox-rule. Show the-redsox-rule's posts

In response to Spetznaz24's comment:

I realize everyone is in high spirits after yesterdays win.  Looking to next week, I still see plenty of things to worry about.  The lack of explosiveness in the passing game is a huge problem.

The lack of wide receivers / tight ends on this team is mind boggling. The whole passing game is Brady throwing to Edelman. In most cases nobody gets open.  Thompkins looks useless out there.  I know Gronkowksi is a huge part,  but the Pats should have had a backup plan for this season, especially when they knew Gronkowski wouldnt be out there for half a year and also hasn't finished a season healthy in 3 years.

It is incredibly frustrating to see the WR's that Brady has out there.  We have bottom 5 NFL talent when it comes to WR's.  Look at any roster in NFL and find even 3 teams with worse WR talent there?

Other teams constantly find WR  talent out there.  Just look at the Colts Lavon Brazill and the explosive plays he made all game. Drafted in 6th round.  Patriots cannot find a decent long threat. They cannot find a physical WR either.  The free agents they have had come in here have been busts for the most part.

Maybe there is something wrong with the  evaluation process. McDaniels went to Denver and drafted Decker and D. Thomas in same year.  Who do the Pats get?  Undrafted Thompkins or Dobson, both of whom had trouble getting open even when they were healthy. Patriots need to seriously change the way they approach the WR position.  It is time to get a big physical body out there.  Enough with the same slot WR's , that strategy hasnt worked in the playoffs.

Against the 49ers or Seahawks, the run would not work.  You cannot beat the Seahawks or 49ers with the WR's we currently have out there.  

In the offeseason the Patriots should attempt to sign E. Decker.  If not, then spend a high draft pick on a big physical WR.  It is pathetic that in his last few years in the league,  Brady has so little talent to work with. 

the run has a much better chance against seattle than the pass. the patriots need to pound the ball and stay with it. eventually teams will break and it will also lfree up recievers for the play action. danny a was wide open on the long pass because of the play action. the patriots shouldnt go into denver with the mind set of an air it out shootout. the wont keep up in the altitude and the d will be exhausted from the twenty secon three and outs. the patriots can impose their will on denver with the ground game and eat the clock while manning sits frustrated.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

In response to Spetznaz24's comment:

Completely clueless

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

It could. If the magic that Blount is channeling runs out, I wonder if New England has the WRs to beat even the weak Denver pass D. 

But you need to be a bit patient, injuredguys get healthy, and next year these WRs could be a lot better. These are re-treads like Lloyd, Branch II, et al. These are kids who are learning. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:

It could. If the magic that Blount is channeling runs out, I wonder if New England has the WRs to beat even the weak Denver pass D. 

But you need to be a bit patient, injuredguys get healthy, and next year these WRs could be a lot better. These are re-treads like Lloyd, Branch II, et al. These are kids who are learning. 

We don't if you're expecting long bombs for TDs. But since we don't need long bombs to score it doesn't matter

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cloudyandrain. Show Cloudyandrain's posts

Dobson and Thompskins will step up. and of course the o-line will step up.

(Yes, I mispell their names in the earlier post, I'm sorry)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from m. a. pat. Show m. a. pat's posts

Per Reiss, Dobson was still in a walking boot just a couple days ago. I don't think this bodes well for his return next week but hope I'm wrong.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

The backup plan was Hernandez, but were they supposed to know that he would go on a killing spree?

Dobson is the 8th ranked rookie in the league in reception yards this year and Thompkins 14th... they are 12th and 11th in yards per catch and both tied for 7th in touchdowns.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?seasonType=REG&d-447263-n=1&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-p=1&d-447263-s=RECEIVING_YARDS&tabSeq=0&season=2013&experience=0&Submit=Go&archive=false&conference=null&statisticCategory=RECEIVING&qualified=false

In Decker's rookie year, he had 106 yards... his second year 612 yards.  Thomas had 283 yards his rookie year, 551 his second year.  Rookies for the Pats... Dobson, 519 yards... Thompkins 466 yards... Boyce 121 yards.  Please don't let the facts get in the way of your bashing the Pats.

2012 - Wes Welker, Lloyd, Aaron Hernandez, Gronk, Edelman - 1st overall offense, 4th in passing yards

2011 - Welker, Serial Killer, Gronk, Branch, Chad Johnson, Edelman - 2nd overall offense, 2nd in passing yards

2010 - Welker, Dexter, Gronk, Edelman, Tate, Branch, Edelman - 8th overall offense, 11th in passing yards

2013 - Edelman, Amendola, Dobson, Thompkins, Vereen, Hooman 7th in overall offense, 10th in passing yards

Please don't let the facts get in your way

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Speznaz.....    The Pats are in the AFCCG for the THIRD straight year and DID IT with the receiver corps they have right now!  How is it at this point you express such concerns which have been expressed since game #1!

If we are going to bemoan anything, it is the fact the Pats WR corps do not consistently get open downfield to scare the opponents d-backs.  The success is short to middle and that is where the opponents's D concentrates.  But, that running game.. that loosens it ALL up!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from FishTaco64. Show FishTaco64's posts

This can only be a problem if the pats allow themselves to fall into a big deficit early. Which I don't think will happen.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I'm not so sure Dobson will be available for this game, if he is then that is a huge, huge plus.  Anyone read or hear about Thompkins injury from last night? Concussion?   

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to glenr's comment:

We don't if you're expecting long bombs for TDs. But since we don't need long bombs to score it doesn't matter

It's not about long bombs ... it's about 3rd and longs. Every offense faces them, and you need to convert some. 

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cloudyandrain. Show Cloudyandrain's posts

In response to DeadAhead2's comment:

In response to m. a. pat's comment:

Per Reiss, Dobson was still in a walking boot just a couple days ago. I don't think this bodes well for his return next week but hope I'm wrong.

That has nothing to do with his potential status. 

Dobson has been out for a while. His foot should be at least 80% healed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to shenanigan's comment:

Okay, did you happen to catch any games between 2001 and 2004.

^

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to FishTaco64's comment:

This can only be a problem if the pats allow themselves to fall into a big deficit early. Which I don't think will happen.

And ^

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

In response to glenr's comment:

It's not about long bombs ... it's about 3rd and longs. Every offense faces them, and you need to convert some. 

We converted 61% of 3rd downs yesterday. More than a couple were longer than 6 yards.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"We don't if you're expecting long bombs for TDs. But since we don't need long bombs to score it doesn't matter"

That's very true. I'm more of a believer in the value of "stretching a defense" than some here, but establishing the run is far more potent.

Where we do have an issue is with red zone receivers, that's where the abscence of a big body or tall dude hurts the most. But: I hope one or both of our rookies will be ready, at least Thomkins should be and maybe both.

Our injuries make this a challenge but we match up pretty well with the Broncos. 

Bring it on. :)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:

"We don't if you're expecting long bombs for TDs. But since we don't need long bombs to score it doesn't matter"

That's very true. I'm more of a believer in the value of "stretching a defense" than some here, but establishing the run is far more potent.

Where we do have an issue is with red zone receivers, that's where the abscence of a big body or tall dude hurts the most. But: I hope one or both of our rookies will be ready, at least Thomkins should be and maybe both.

Our injuries make this a challenge but we match up pretty well with the Broncos. 

Bring it on. :)

I'm just tired of the incessant doom and gloom whining. It's the same old fantasy football GM attitude that you need to punch up long yardarge reception numbers to win. It goes against the Pats stratergy of worrying about the next 1st down not the next touchdown.

The long game also doesn't do a thing for clock control. We had the ball 10 minutes longer the Indy. I'd like to see that trend continue next week

Sections
Shortcuts