Lafell as hybrid TE?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from FillmoreWest. Show FillmoreWest's posts

Lafell as hybrid TE?

Although he is no Hernandez, maybe the Pats have plans to use Lafell in the hybrid TE role?

He is a good blocker, has good size, and he's a better receiver than Hooman...

It wouldn't have to be official or anything but he fits the mold of Belichick's type:

a versatile hybrid player so a defense has no idea what's coming...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Re: Lafell as hybrid TE?

I do think he could do some of the same things as Hernandez.  He's not going to be quite the FB/H-back/TE Hernandez was, but as a large, blocking receiver he can definitely play near the LOS.  He's probably got a bit more deep potential than Hernandez, so what I see is a broad area of overlap between skills, with Hernandez being a bit more effective in traditional TE/H-back roles, while LaFell could be more effective in traditional outside WR roles. 

We'll see, but I the addition of LaFell does, in my mind, make the "move TE" less critical.  I'd rather see the Pats pick a second traditional style TE (who can back up Gronk and start when Gronk is out) and use LaFell as the big receiver that Hernandez often was. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

I keep telling people Lyerla is a super steal but their knees keep buckling because the kid got caught blowing some toot and buys into a conspiracy theory. Dumb, but typical of the drama queen crowd.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

The kid is 6'2" 210lbs, I don't think he's any type of size to be a TE. I know he played it randomly in Car but that was random spot time. He's a WR that has some good blocking ability, much like Edelman is a WR with some QB and DB ability, much like Hooman has some FB ability, and much like Arrington has some DE pass rushing ability (actually this last one is the most appropriate). LaFell is a in an emergency, if there is no other options are available break glass and he can fill in as a TE for a short period. But just like I wouldn't want to see Edelman covering on the outside or Arrington lining up in Nink's spot I wouldn't want to see LaFell moving inline to block for Brady.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I agree. Lafell needs to come in and learn the offense and get on the same page as TB. Period. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I keep telling people Lyerla is a super steal but their knees keep buckling because the kid got caught blowing some toot and buys into a conspiracy theory. Dumb, but typical of the drama queen crowd.

[/QUOTE]

Kraft came out and said no on Britt in public, I highly doubt they are calling D Jax today to see how much to sign him, and considering a fair portion of their fansbase is within an hours drive of where the conspiracy theory took place it would be a stupid business choice to bring that kid in with a suit full of red flags. The fact that he quit on his team and tried to run from the cops when they caught him shows he has no drive and no respect for authority. He's not a type of player you want to have in your locker room nor one that you want on your team for fear of suspension. Rather not waste the pick on him period.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

The kid is 6'2" 210lbs, I don't think he's any type of size to be a TE. I know he played it randomly in Car but that was random spot time. He's a WR that has some good blocking ability, much like Edelman is a WR with some QB and DB ability, much like Hooman has some FB ability, and much like Arrington has some DE pass rushing ability (actually this last one is the most appropriate). LaFell is a in an emergency, if there is no other options are available break glass and he can fill in as a TE for a short period. But just like I wouldn't want to see Edelman covering on the outside or Arrington lining up in Nink's spot I wouldn't want to see LaFell moving inline to block for Brady.

I agree they are not going to convert him to TE.  However, I do think he could make the move TE that everyone is calling for to replace Hernandez less critical.  Personally, I like the idea of the Pats taking a traditional TE in the draft who can spell Gronk when Gronk is hurt (i.e., half of every season) and can also be used in two-TE formations, as we used to do when Watson and Graham were both on the team.  This would be different from the Hernandez-Gronk combo where Hernandez was that hybrid player who was a little bit FB, a little bit TE, and a little bit WR.  While a Hernandez-type would still be very nice to have, I think LaFell gives us a guy who can run underneath routes like Hernandez did, taking advantage of his size rather than his quickness as our 8-million midget slot receivers do. He won't be a TE, but his size gives us the option to forego drafting a move TE and instead get a guy who can replace Gronk. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I agree they are not going to convert him to TE.  However, I do think he could make the move TE that everyone is calling for to replace Hernandez less critical.  Personally, I like the idea of the Pats taking a traditional TE in the draft who can spell Gronk when Gronk is hurt (i.e., half of every season) and can also be used in two-TE formations, as we used to do when Watson and Graham were both on the team.  This would be different from the Hernandez-Gronk combo where Hernandez was that hybrid player who was a little bit FB, a little bit TE, and a little bit WR.  While a Hernandez-type would still be very nice to have, I think LaFell gives us a guy who can run underneath routes like Hernandez did, taking advantage of his size rather than his quickness as our 8-million midget slot receivers do. He won't be a TE, but his size gives us the option to forego drafting a move TE and instead get a guy who can replace Gronk. 

[/QUOTE]

So we are essentially talking about using him as a slot receiver not as a TE. If you are talking specifically using him as a slot WR who can be checked inside to block then you are talking more of a A. Boldin role. But, LaFell playing actual TE roles is pushing it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Kraft came out and said no on Britt in public, I highly doubt they are calling D Jax today to see how much to sign him, and considering a fair portion of their fansbase is within an hours drive of where the conspiracy theory took place it would be a stupid business choice to bring that kid in with a suit full of red flags. The fact that he quit on his team and tried to run from the cops when they caught him shows he has no drive and no respect for authority. He's not a type of player you want to have in your locker room nor one that you want on your team for fear of suspension. Rather not waste the pick on him period.

[/QUOTE]

Wow, a kid doing some dope tried to run from the cops? That's unheard of.

Hey, did he assault the cops? Because if he did something like that then you surely wouldn't want him on your team, right? LMAO

I guess freedom of speech must not be an attribute Kraft embraces. Bob and Bill can be as dumb as they want about this, and somebody else can grab this amazing talent for next to nothing.

Check this

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

There is another problem with your theory.  Lyerla isn't that great when he is on the field (ie, not suspended or kicked off of the team).  Good player, not great. definitely not worth the headache.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

So we are essentially talking about using him as a slot receiver not as a TE. If you are talking specifically using him as a slot WR who can be checked inside to block then you are talking more of a A. Boldin role. But, LaFell playing actual TE roles is pushing it.

[/QUOTE]

Yep . . . exactly, I think we're thinking alike.  LaFell is probably a slot more than a perimeter receiver--though he's a large slot rather than the small slots we've typically used and therefore a bit closer to move TE than a slot like Edelman could be.  I tend to look at all the eligible positions (RB/FB/TE/WR) existing on a sort of continuum.  LaFell falls closer to TE than slots like Edelman/Amendola do, but not as close to TE or H-back and FB as Hern did. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

Hey, did he assault the cops? Because if he did something like that then you surely wouldn't want him on your team, right? LMAO

I guess freedom of speech must not be an attribute Kraft embraces. Bob and Bill can be as dumb as they want about this, and somebody else can grab this amazing talent for next to nothing.

Check this

[/QUOTE]

Don't give me that Babe. It's a business. Public perception is a large part of the business aspect and free speech doesn't translate to public perception and you know this. You think a single business in Boston would hire someone who went public on news stations that the marathon bombers were setup? Of course not. Freedom of speech means you can say what you want it doesn't mean that people can't hold it against you and businesses know this. Try it though, try going to a news paper or news station and start going off about how the 9-11 bombers were faked, how school shootings aren't real, and how the marathon bombers are innocent and see how long your company keeps you. It wouldn't be for long because of the bad press they would get from it. No one could stop you from saying it however, they have every right not to keep you employed if it hurts their business either.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

This Lyerla talk reminds me of Matt Jones when he came out of Arkansas. All these crazy measurables, questionable character, unknown commodity (to some extent) on the football field. Dud.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to FillmoreWest's comment:

Although he is no Hernandez, maybe the Pats have plans to use Lafell in the hybrid TE role?

He is a good blocker, has good size, and he's a better receiver than Hooman...

It wouldn't have to be official or anything but he fits the mold of Belichick's type:

a versatile hybrid player so a defense has no idea what's coming...

Good thought. It appears to be a possiblity. LaFell has some size, and is considered to be one of the best blocking WRs in the game.   

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

There is another problem with your theory.  Lyerla isn't that great when he is on the field (ie, not suspended or kicked off of the team).  Good player, not great. definitely not worth the headache.

[/QUOTE]

Well worth the trivial headache. Learn the game.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Check this

[/QUOTE]

Don't give me that Babe. It's a business. Public perception is a large part of the business aspect and free speech doesn't translate to public perception and you know this. You think a single business in Boston would hire someone who went public on news stations that the marathon bombers were setup? Of course not. Freedom of speech means you can say what you want it doesn't mean that people can't hold it against you and businesses know this. Try it though, try going to a news paper or news station and start going off about how the 9-11 bombers were faked, how school shootings aren't real, and how the marathon bombers are innocent and see how long your company keeps you. It wouldn't be for long because of the bad press they would get from it. No one could stop you from saying it however, they have every right not to keep you employed if it hurts their business either.

[/QUOTE]

Like I said; Kraft may not care much for free speech or the free expression of ideas.

You know, not everybody gobbles up every scrap of BS the establishment serves up like the sheeple do.

If he believed in UFOs would that disqualify him as well? What if a guy had said there were no WMDs in Iraq years ago, should that have kept BB from signing him?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

if Lyera falls to the 6th-7th I would take a flyer on him. give him a behavior/performance based contract.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to natesubs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

if Lyera falls to the 6th-7th I would take a flyer on him. give him a behavior/performance based contract.

[/QUOTE]

thats only time i would say yes to him

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

Lyerala isn't worth a draft pick , not to this organization...if Lyerla was, then we'd be 1st in line for a kid who the police in LA says is NOT a gang member, Jackson....

LaFell is a WR...period...

The fact he was used in some formations by the Panthers speaks more to their TE situation after Olson than anything else.