LaRon Landry to visit Patriots Friday

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from nightrider495. Show nightrider495's posts

LaRon Landry to visit Patriots Friday

I know there are many that don't like the idea, however, at the right price, this guy is a difference maker. He would bring a lot more physicality to our defense, Recievers would be pretty nervous catching the ball across the middle with both Landry and Chung there. LaRon is still pretty young. I say the Pats give it a shot, so long the price is right.

http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/rap_sheet/index.php/2012/03/15/patriots-set-to-receive-a-visit-from-ex-redskins-safety-laron-landry/

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Re: LaRon Landry to visit Patriots Friday

No thanks, I heard that he will be in a wheelchair by time training camp starts and he may not live past 2012.....lol

But yeah, Everyone knows how I feel about this situation. You have to do your due dilligence, kick the tires on this one. Its a no Brainer,

For thos that wanna say he is too jacked, or doesnt have much agility. Guess what?  He will be playing the S/LB Hybrid Rover here so Im not worried about that. If he has a clean bill of health or even has a chance to play after week 6, you do it.

One of the biggest issues we have in the secondary is a lack of Intimidation and its why we give up so many yards because Wr's run around wild not worried about being hit because we are never in position..

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

I don't see how this improves our range problem.  He's more like a Polamalu or Chung type where he is a traditional SS. He would add another physical presense, and he does go sideline to sideline well on angles and whatnot, but I am not sure he solves the range issue we have.

Add in potential cost, and his injury issues, and I am not sure.

I am sort of laughing at the Jets also looking at him.   Who on earth would want to play for the Jets?  Philly is looking at him, too, but I don't know how they have any cap room left at this point either.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

yay someone to fill the harrison role!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Maybe BB is just driving up the price for the NYJ?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

Could very well be.  We'll see. 

Mario Williams currently holding the Bills hostage by putting the screws to Buffalo, using other teams' interest as leverage to get a better contract.  Miami also rumored to be one of the other teams for Mario Williams.

Of course, our friend Underpants doesn't believe in this inter-division subterfuge activity. lol

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkvWvO0RQ2U

Guy sure looks like he has range to me.

The first hit on the highlight reel is from last year and the one I referred to as being a lethal, legal hit that I would take everytime over an INT. That was on a Rb too, just imagine what Wr's would think after being hit like that.

Like I said, I dont wanna act like his agent, but why you wouldnt want this guy is beyond me.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from nightrider495. Show nightrider495's posts

I was thinking about all these pundits that are saying LaRon doesn't fit well with Chung. Well, maybe he will be Chung's replacement seems he will be due a new contract next year. Should Bill get LaRon for a decent deal, it would probably come in cheaper than if we re-signed Chung. Not much age difference between the two. Landry is the faster and stronger player of the two. Makes sense to me. Just my opinion though.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

The same could be said for Steve Gregory and their interest in him.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PuPirate. Show PuPirate's posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkvWvO0RQ2U

-Landry has always has HAD BIG ARMS just check video n videos from LSU.

-Laron would be the Ihedigbo UPGRADE N DOES NOT PLAY THE FREE SAFETY as CHUNG DOES see the Patriots depthchart

http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/depth/_/name/ne/formation/4-3-defense

-He actually is better in coverage then ppl give credit for.

-WHAT qualifies anyone to say he will lose flexibilty at his current size?? ANYone thats serious about staying in shape knows that is BULL #Myth

-He is even more of a playmaker Chung, who I also like as a player and who also missed games over past 2 years. That is the nature of that position! Even with HARRISON. Oh how fast ppl forget smh. #DEPTH

WE NEED PLAYMAKERS with physical Capability (Wilfork, FANNENE, Anderson, LANDRY) NOT just SOLID (or GREAT)CONSISTENT GUYS (Carter, Chung, Ninkovich, Flecher, etc)

)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Thank You Pupirate for another perspective.  All I ask is that people speak on experience, not what they hear.

Like I said, People see the guy with his shirt off and freak out,. He has been jacked up for a while.

In the clips I posted, he dominated the Packers game and was shown covering Jennings very well on one play where he tried a double move. Is he Ideal in coverage, Maybe not, but what SS is??   Roy Williams had a hell of a career but he couldnt cover the slowest FB.  This guy has all the tools to be a great safety. Besides the injury concerns, everything is hogwash, B.S. because none of us have seen him in person recently or worked him out. Let the team decide that.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In Response to Re: LaRon Landry to visit Patriots Friday:
    I was thinking about all these pundits that are saying LaRon doesn't fit well with Chung. Well, maybe he will be Chung's replacement seems he will be due a new contract next year. Should Bill get LaRon for a decent deal, it would probably come in cheaper than if we re-signed Chung. Not much age difference between the two. Landry is the faster and stronger player of the two. Makes sense to me. Just my opinion though.

Posted by nightrider495

Both of them seem to spend their fair share of time in the trainer's room, so I guess it's good to have depth. Frankly I'd be OK with a lesser name with smaller biceps that is more dependable.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PuPirate. Show PuPirate's posts

In Response to Re: LaRon Landry to visit Patriots Friday : Both of them seem to spend their fair share of time in the trainer's room, so I guess it's good to have depth. Frankly I'd be OK with a lesser name with smaller biceps that is more dependable.
    Posted by Muzwell

Look I (and many other pats fans) think its time to get a BETTER MIXTURE of players. We CANNOT have a 53 man Roster FILLED OF Cerebral-Type players who are (Physically) INCAPABLE of carrying out wat BB needs on D. We NEED some EXPLOSIVE, BIG-PLAY, BIG HIT (I understand AND/OR MISS) Pllayers types ON BOTH DEFENSE AND OFFENSE to be MIXED INTO the FOLD n put us OVER THE TOP. This guy (Landry) has always been a GYM head!! BACK in LSU he benched press of 425 pounds with a 500-pound squat, in addition to a 286-pound power clean. At the NFL Combine, Landry ran an impressive 4.37 40-yard dash time with a 37.5” vertical jump. WHEN SINCE HAS THAT EVER BEEN AN BAD THING TO HAVE THAT SORT of WORK-ETHIC??? IF he's injured last season WAT else besides WATCH FILM and WORKOUT can he do to DEMONSTRATE he is seroius about his profession?? He has more abilty tyhan both Chung and Gregory Period. His PEDIGREE IS > CHUNG , Just LIKE HARRISON's wAS > LAWYER (who I also LOVED) #UPGRADE

Fans sometimes tend to just need a Player/Story (Welker, Woodhead) who (has "lesser" biceps) they can Relate TO smh!! THEy seem to VILLIFY players (Landry, Wilt, etc) who they CANNOT relate!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from GadisRKO. Show GadisRKO's posts

Landry = physical, hard hitting presence at SS. Takes great angles, makes clean and hard tackles, breaks up passes and is very athletic, very fast, very strong. Assuming his achilles heals, he could thrive with BB putting him in the position to maximize his skill set.

I will be ecstatic if we sign him. Chung and Landry at safety? hot damn!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from getdrunkstupit. Show getdrunkstupit's posts

I WANT HIM ON THE TEAM YESTERDAY

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from getdrunkstupit. Show getdrunkstupit's posts

get as many safetys  signed for offseason. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from nightrider495. Show nightrider495's posts

Bill seems to like rotating players a lot and keeping them fresh. Who knows. I just think he could be an excellent value add myself. We all know Bill and the word "value" too.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Hey Eng, here is a nice article that makes us both look right.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/37076/all-right-lets-talk-about-laron-landry

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

Posted by nightrider495

LaRon Landry in a use of The Big Nickel type of D, given NE's personell...might look, just- well, pretty nasty.

When your CBs are such solid and willing tacklers, and you combine this with- Mmmm, I'll show ya how the biggest area of weakness with the deployment of a Big Nickel (i.e. small overall personell size on D, in this front), Just MIGHT look, IF NE had Landry.

4-2-5 Defense.

4 D-Linemen
    Spikes & Mayo- 2 LBs
    McCourty (now with knowledge of FS assignments), Moore, Arrington- 3 CBs
    Landry & Chung- 2 SSs

Alot of balancing can be done in this set-up, both in terms of versatility of players, versatility of looks, shoring up shortcomings of this defensive design IF you have just the right specific personell to place inside this scheme...  Might be pretty dang nice.  Such a decent sized corp of guys who are also very physical at LB and in the Secondary portions of this scheme (which they are, and actually would be, here in this set-up)- No longer rules out the idea of placing an excellent pass-rushing 4-3 DE next to Vince on 1 side of the 4 man front...a guy who CAN get to the QB, but a guy whom even IF he was just 1 inch shorter, and 15 pounds lighter than some other DE (but was much better at getting after the QB), ya mighta not initially wanted to place in such a small schematic grouping of personell, otherwise. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Hey Eng, here is a nice article that makes us both look right. http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/37076/all-right-lets-talk-about-laron-landry
    Posted by JayShizzle45

lol good article Jay. I honestly don't think either of us are wrong right now. If he's 100% healthy and back to his form then he could be a low cost steal and you are right. If he's not 100% and the Achilles is still affecting him and his new bulk partial limits his ability then I'm right. Considering he can go either way means until we see him on a field we both can be right and wrong at the same time.

Personally I see this team as a SB contender with a couple of additions so I don't want to use cap space and roster space on a maybe guy, that's all I care about. I'd rather have Gregory as a known because I know what he can give and I can plan around that. Right now I can't plan around Landry and that's a scary thing if he's going to cut into a chunk of cap space that can be used for other players to upgrade other positions. If we went 10-6 or 11-5 last year and got knocked out in the first round then I'd be more willing to take a chance but not after coming off a SB lose with a good shot at returning

But as the article suggests if they can get him at an extremely low base high incentive deal I would take him and he's worth the risk. The issue comes with Rex and his love for heavy hitter and big names. What if Rex gives him $3mil guaranteed for 1 yr to match Meri's deal for a yr? I'm not willing to risk $3mil of cap space (a little more then what Fanene is costing us in cap this year) on Landry. <$1mil with incentives that could boast it to $2-3mil sure I'd do it but I have a feeling he'll get a better deal some place else

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

He's worth a 1 year, incentive based, low risk contract for sure.  If it comes down to the Pats or Jets, I'd think he'd favor BB over Ryan although he'd have the brighter lights of New York.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Agreed.

We have the same thoughts on this, the only difference is I dont think Landry can command a bunch of money.

We agee in that it would be dumb to invest  a lot of money for a guy who is hurt.

I think if its just down to 2 teams he would pick us over the Jets. He is a former # 5 pick so he has made money and by the way he plays when healthy, I know he loves football. Maybe a change of scenery would help. Either Way I trust our staff not to overpay for ANY defensive player because they are too cheap,,lol

Its on offense I worry about them overpaying.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In Response to Re: LaRon Landry to visit Patriots Friday : Look I (and many other pats fans) think its time to get a BETTER MIXTURE of players. We CANNOT have a 53 man Roster FILLED OF Cerebral-Type players who are (Physically) INCAPABLE of carrying out wat BB needs on D. We NEED some EXPLOSIVE, BIG-PLAY, BIG HIT (I understand AND/OR MISS) Pllayers types ON BOTH DEFENSE AND OFFENSE to be MIXED INTO the FOLD n put us OVER THE TOP. This guy (Landry) has always been a GYM head!! BACK in LSU he benched press of 425 pounds with a 500-pound squat, in addition to a 286-pound power clean. At the NFL Combine, Landry ran an impressive 4.37 40-yard dash time with a 37.5” vertical jump. WHEN SINCE HAS THAT EVER BEEN AN BAD THING TO HAVE THAT SORT of WORK-ETHIC??? IF he's injured last season WAT else besides WATCH FILM and WORKOUT can he do to DEMONSTRATE he is seroius about his profession?? He has more abilty tyhan both Chung and Gregory Period. His PEDIGREE IS /> CHUNG , Just LIKE HARRISON's wAS /> LAWYER (who I also LOVED) #UPGRADE Fans sometimes tend to just need a Player/Story (Welker, Woodhead) who (has "lesser" biceps) they can Relate TO smh!! THEy seem to VILLIFY players (Landry, Wilt, etc) who they CANNOT relate!!

Posted by PuPirate

You're either drunk or just a WEIRD dude, but I will risk a REPLY.

I think Landry is a good PLAYER. I frankly don't CARE, how much WEIGHT he can lift. But my LARGER point is he is often INJURED. It doesn't matter if he's a workout WARRIOR or if he has a CHAMPIONSHIP PEDIGREE, if he can't stay on the FIELD. We're not talking about show DOGS here. CAPICHE?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Asher77. Show Asher77's posts

In Response to Re: LaRon Landry to visit Patriots Friday : lol good article Jay. I honestly don't think either of us are wrong right now. If he's 100% healthy and back to his form then he could be a low cost steal and you are right. If he's not 100% and the Achilles is still affecting him and his new bulk partial limits his ability then I'm right. Considering he can go either way means until we see him on a field we both can be right and wrong at the same time. Personally I see this team as a SB contender with a couple of additions so I don't want to use cap space and roster space on a maybe guy, that's all I care about. I'd rather have Gregory as a known because I know what he can give and I can plan around that. Right now I can't plan around Landry and that's a scary thing if he's going to cut into a chunk of cap space that can be used for other players to upgrade other positions. If we went 10-6 or 11-5 last year and got knocked out in the first round then I'd be more willing to take a chance but not after coming off a SB lose with a good shot at returning But as the article suggests if they can get him at an extremely low base high incentive deal I would take him and he's worth the risk. The issue comes with Rex and his love for heavy hitter and big names. What if Rex gives him $3mil guaranteed for 1 yr to match Meri's deal for a yr? I'm not willing to risk $3mil of cap space (a little more then what Fanene is costing us in cap this year) on Landry. <$1mil with incentives that could boast it to $2-3mil sure I'd do it but I have a feeling he'll get a better deal some place else
    Posted by PatsEng

Your post gave me interesting thought on BB.

He is all about being rational and solid in his choices, the Anti Snyder. But i think this is only as far as it keeps us in the hunt for a SB year after year.

It seems that BB is just dying to be the BEST team, not just next year but historicaly, and so he should. He wants to destroy. He continualy goes for the unsafe play if it has any chance of working out ( provided our team stays in contention year in and out ). Look at Rodney, Moss, Ocho, Haynesworth, Dillon.

Thinking this way I see zero chance that BB goes for Gregory over Landry given the fact that without both we still would be SB contenders. Landry has the higher upside potential and thats what BB cares about more than safety in the end.

BB is a cold and calculating tactitian with an unmitigated desire to embarass and destroy.
    The Vader references are very apt.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Landry seems to be a better version of what Chung is.  I like Chung but he tends to get dinged up.  Maybe between both of them they have at least 1 guy who can play at the line of scrimmage consistently.  You'd think Landry would command too much money to be a "depth" guy or a 1A SS.  They need a more dynamic guy to play FS more than they need a better but more injury prone version of Chung. 

Sections
Shortcuts