Last 3 4th quarters, Opponents 35, Pats 6.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Last 3 4th quarters, Opponents 35, Pats 6.

nuff said

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

Re: Last 3 4th quarters, Opponents 35, Pats 6.

But at least they are outscoring opponents in OT 3-0!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to FrnkBnhm's comment:

But at least they are outscoring opponents in OT 3-0!

:)

i'll take whatever i can get at this point

:)

thanks

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

That's a rate of 46 points a game given up. Horrible. And only an 8 points a game rate for scoring. Also horrible.

Good thing we have staked the D to good leads in most of these or we would be really screwed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Something needs to be done with the play calling on this team, it's horrendous on both sides of the ball come the 4th.

The D is so much better when they are aggressive earlier in the game, I don't understand why they keep falling back into loose zones late into the game. The secondary isn't getting any better so why not attack more? Are they afraid of giving up more points in the 4th? Wish I can say more but seriously it's night and day with this team when they are passive verses aggressive

The O needs to simplify. That last drive showed what they use to do. Dink and dunk, take what the D gives you and drive the field eating 5-10 yards at a time. But for some reason, excluding that last drive, I see Brady throwing more low % throws in the 4th then in the rest of the game. I'm not sure what the play calling is but these 10+ yd attempts on almost every pass in the 4th needs to stop. If that isn't bad enough they are becoming extremely predictable in the 4th too. 1st down is a pass in the 10-15yrd range for Welker or Gronk, 2nd is a run, 3rd is a shot down the fiel of 10+ yrds. Rinse and repeat until you punt. I don't want to see gimmick plays late in the game but whatever happended to simple slants, hooks, out posts that would get you 4-6yds? And mixing in random draws on any down? Remember seeing Faulk get a draw call on 3rd and 6th while they were trying to close out games and it worked a good amount of the time.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

I agree Pats. The playcalling has been atrocious.

McDaniels has been a major disappointment most of the time. He hasn't seemed to bring anything special to the team. All his cutesy gimmick plays have failed. I look at this game, and see that brady led them down the field midway through the first...and McDaniels doesn't try to stay AHEAD of the curve, he abandons the run for long stretches and puts too much on Brady. He got back to a more balanced attack later in the game, but the running game needs consistent reps to wear the D down, get the OLine going, and get the RB into some kind of groove. They don't do that. Well, they did for 2 straight games, and ripped off 500 yards which I thought the team would continue to do. It's like Brady is his cocaine...eventually he gets to a point and that's ALL he wants.

Ridley needs to be given more opportunites to make some catches. He has 6 on the season. When he's on the field, they run it, or the D doesn't need to cover him. He had one bad drop last week, and they didn't throw it to him at all this week. In limited opportunities he seems to catch the ball fine for the most part, so I don't understand why they don't throw it to him more. I'm not talking 5 or 6 targets...but 2 or 3 could make a huge difference in how opponent's D views him.

To that end, Woodhead catches it fine...but him running it does nothing good. Woodhead has 14 catches in his limited reps, which is fine. He has 46 rushes for only a 3.5 average. Not good enough to justify using him as much as they do. He's too small and easy to tackle. His elusiveness is nothing compared to a guy like Faulk. Faulk averaged 4.2 for his career, and in 06, 07, 08, and 09 he averaged 4.9, 4.3, 6.1 and 5.4. He played in 9 total games in 10/11, so I discounted those. THAT'S why a guy like Faulk was effective. Everyone knew he was a very good pass catcher, but he was an effective runner as well and was used appropriately. Woodhead should get maybe 5/6 touches a game. Not 10, and not 4 in the only drive in OT. The only way younger guys get better is by having a little confidence, or taking a chance, and letting them get some reps and build that confidence and gain some experience. Woodhead is maxed out as far as production, and seeing him out there that much just isn't good football.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sml1210. Show sml1210's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Something needs to be done with the play calling on this team, it's horrendous on both sides of the ball come the 4th.

The D is so much better when they are aggressive earlier in the game, I don't understand why they keep falling back into loose zones late into the game. The secondary isn't getting any better so why not attack more? Are they afraid of giving up more points in the 4th? Wish I can say more but seriously it's night and day with this team when they are passive verses aggressive

The O needs to simplify. That last drive showed what they use to do. Dink and dunk, take what the D gives you and drive the field eating 5-10 yards at a time. But for some reason, excluding that last drive, I see Brady throwing more low % throws in the 4th then in the rest of the game. I'm not sure what the play calling is but these 10+ yd attempts on almost every pass in the 4th needs to stop. If that isn't bad enough they are becoming extremely predictable in the 4th too. 1st down is a pass in the 10-15yrd range for Welker or Gronk, 2nd is a run, 3rd is a shot down the fiel of 10+ yrds. Rinse and repeat until you punt. I don't want to see gimmick plays late in the game but whatever happended to simple slants, hooks, out posts that would get you 4-6yds? And mixing in random draws on any down? Remember seeing Faulk get a draw call on 3rd and 6th while they were trying to close out games and it worked a good amount of the time.

They get a lead in the 4th quarter, but go into prevent defense AND OFFENSE.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to sml1210's comment:

I wouldn't say tossing bombs consistantly on O in the 4th is prevent. I'm not sure what is going on with that honestly. I think they might be pushing to much knowing that the D is a wet paper bag so they feel like they must score and take to many chances with quick strikes when the mentality should be to chew clock and just move the chains with 3 downs not with 1 every play

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

I wouldn't say tossing bombs consistantly on O in the 4th is prevent. I'm not sure what is going on with that honestly. I think they might be pushing to much knowing that the D is a wet paper bag so they feel like they must score and take to many chances with quick strikes when the mentality should be to chew clock and just move the chains with 3 downs not with 1 every play

Too many 1st and 2nd down run plays for 1 yard gains taking no time off the clock. They are trying to extend plays and YES, score because the D is a wet paper bag. 

Giving the ball back is not an option when only ahead by 2 scores.  Even if they had 2, 5 minute drives in the 4th, that wouldn't be enough as the opposition rarely needs 4 minutes to score 2 TD's.  See Joe, Russel, Mark, Peyton.........Montana

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

That's a rate of 46 points a game given up. Horrible. And only an 8 points a game rate for scoring. Also horrible.

Good thing we have staked the D to good leads in most of these or we would be really screwed.

Only on planet Babe does the offense scoring 6 points somehow reflect on the defense.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from sml1210. Show sml1210's posts

In response to pezz4pats' comment:

Too many 1st and 2nd down run plays for 1 yard gains taking no time off the clock. They are trying to extend plays and YES, score because the D is a wet paper bag. 

Giving the ball back is not an option when only ahead by 2 scores.  Even if they had 2, 5 minute drives in the 4th, that wouldn't be enough as the opposition rarely needs 4 minutes to score 2 TD's.  See Joe, Russel, Mark, Peyton.........Montana

Go back and look at the game tape. McDaniels get way too conservative in his play calling with a lead. As soon as he gets up 10-13 points in the second half, the foot comes off the gas.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

6 points? thats just flat out awful......obviously the 35 points allowed isnt something to be happy about either.....but 6 points? disgraceful

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

Oh, jeeze.  I guess the fact that they were ALWAYS ahead  by 9-13 points late in the 4th, has nothing to do with that.  Do the 3 qtrs prior not count?  Or the fact that they actually played NFL defenses, while the opposition was busy scoring points for the majority of the 4th?

Also I believe they WON 2 of three of those due to the leads going onto the 4th, where the D tried their best to give the games away.  Oh yeah, let's not count the Bills game where they score 45 in the second half and on 6 of their last 7 drives.

Do we want them to score more in the 4th, he!! yea,  should they HAVE TO, when they always have a 2 score lead,  he!!...NO!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

In response to pezz4pats's comment:

Oh, jeeze.  I guess the fact that they were ALWAYS ahead  by 9-13 points late in the 4th, has nothing to do with that.  Do the 3 qtrs prior not count?  Or the fact that they actually played NFL defenses, while the opposition was busy scoring points for the majority of the 4th?

Also I believe they WON 2 of three of those due to the leads going onto the 4th, where the D tried their best to give the games away.  Oh yeah, let's not count the Bills game where they score 45 in the second half and on 6 of their last 7 drives.

Do we want them to score more in the 4th, he!! yea,  should they HAVE TO, when they always have a 2 score lead,  he!!...NO!

most of the time scoring isnt the only problem, they cant even get a first down!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

The defense did what they needed yesterday. The offense had a poor game (17 points in regulation against what has not been a good defense this year - 21st in the NFL in terms of points allowed), but the defense was good enough. Sure they may have made Sanchez look better than he is, but when they had to the stopped the Jets: first holding them to a FG after the McCourty fumble (and not even allowing a first down which would have left the Jets run out the clock) and then forcing the fumble in OT to win the game.

I thought we wanted to see the Patriots win a game when the offense played poorly and that is exactly what happened.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

I think they are attacking what the other team is giving them.

Desparate teams that are down in the 4th pack the line and middle of the field and take their chances deep against the Pats. That is one reason why the run and short passes start looking harder in the 4th.

The Pats unfortunately have yet again a terrible time taking advantage of one on one coverage deep. They don't seem to be able to execute. They should work with Lloyd a bit, he seems to have trouble running under balls, would rather hold back and dive. Maybe put Slater in for the deep threat..I think they gave up on him to early in this role.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

Hopefully this doesn't turn into another offense vs defense thread. Let's be honest here, we have problems on both sides of the ball and the coaching has bee suspect too. Fortunately the defense came up big at the end of the game and in overtime. The offense did too. There is hope.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to redsoxfan94's comment:

most of the time scoring isnt the only problem, they cant even get a first down!

They lead the league in 1st downs by a landslide.  oooppps I forgot the 1st, 3 quarters don't count.  My bad.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

In response to redsoxfan94's comment:

They lead the league in 1st downs by a landslide.  oooppps I forgot the 1st, 3 quarters don't count.  My bad.

Yeah we had over 30 first downs against Seattle. Fat lot of good it did when you go 1 for 6 in the red zone. Fat lot of good first downs do when they don't translate to points. We can get a million first downs between our 20 and the opponents 40 and still lose every game.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

In response to glenr's comment:

Yeah we had over 30 first downs against Seattle. Fat lot of good it did when you go 1 for 6 in the red zone. Fat lot of good first downs do when they don't translate to points. We can get a million first downs between our 20 and the opponents 40 and still lose every game.

The Pats 'bend but don't break' defense at its best was famous for allowing lots of yards between the 20's. I guess just shooting for the end zone before you get in the red zone is the answer!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

How about just not going 3 and out every 4th quarter posession

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

what about this latesty gaff. Tom to Lloyd, 1st down, game over,...oh wait. Lloyd pushed off so its 2nd 20. Right at that moment all bets are off. Whatever u do is futile and anyone that expect Brady to convert a 3rd and 16 with the game on the line knowng you want to kill the clock is clueless about football.

Most of the failures can always come back to Coaching and even B.B. sias it every game and people still want to give BIll a pass. He even admitted he messed up the too many men and had to call time out...or not enough I dont know. He always sais there is no other qb he would rather have so I wonder if he would have rather have Ty Law instead of Arrington or Rodney instead of Chung...lol

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

The O needs to be able to run the ball. In all 3 losses and this barely a win, they couldn't.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

what about this latesty gaff. Tom to Lloyd, 1st down, game over,...oh wait. Lloyd pushed off so its 2nd 20. Right at that moment all bets are off. Whatever u do is futile and anyone that expect Brady to convert a 3rd and 16 with the game on the line knowng you want to kill the clock is clueless about football.

Most of the failures can always come back to Coaching and even B.B. sias it every game and people still want to give BIll a pass. He even admitted he messed up the too many men and had to call time out...or not enough I dont know. He always sais there is no other qb he would rather have so I wonder if he would have rather have Ty Law instead of Arrington or Rodney instead of Chung...lol

Miserable penalty. Puts them in a 1st and 20 hole on the crucial drive to put the game away. Utterly stupid. But it seems Lloyd can't get any separation without doing that.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to glenr's comment:

How about just not going 3 and out every 4th quarter posession

That would be nice Rusty. But what do you expect when we can't run the ball?

Sections
Shortcuts