Last Chance for Ras-I Dowling

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Re: Last Chance for Ras-I Dowling

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

Problem with Ras has become.... even if he puts up a good year, the shadow of injury hovers around the guy and you just can't say about him..... "one CB position solid? - check!"

It's going to take at least a couple of healthy seasons to consider him reliable.

Ditto Spikes...maybe that's why he's not at OTAs.  No need to risk injury until he has to.  Unlike Dowling, Spikes has proven to be an impact player when he's on the field.  But his injury history will give pause when it comes to re-signing him. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to Getzo's comment:

Unlike most.. I am excited knowing this is our back-up outside CB...  That's good news even if he has not stayed healthy... behind him we got Logan training to take the spot from him who was a top 50 talent...

IMO the secondary is going to be the best it has been since SB years.  Possible the same can be said about our front 7.  

Lets hope so because right now this statement just looks like what Ive been hearing every year. Do you mean SB years as in the one we lost just 2 years ago. OR as in like 2007 when we lost, or do you mean "winning" SB years like Almost 10 years ago? Dont mean to attack your post, but what exactly warrants the statement "THIS" year??  Is it A.Wilson giving you confidence he will fix everything, because outside of that, I dont see this secondary being any different, on paper or in theory.  I feel like we will be around 25th or lower pass defense as usual and 1op 15 run D and our Pass Rush needs to improve. Our secondary hasnt changed much. Arrington is still here and is being paid as a starter if u didnt know

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to RallyC's comment:

Problem with Ras has become.... even if he puts up a good year, the shadow of injury hovers around the guy and you just can't say about him..... "one CB position solid? - check!"

It's going to take at least a couple of healthy seasons to consider him reliable.

Babe, you are truly a fool. 2-years would be over half of the average career length of an NFL player. One good year is one good year! A second good year is a bonus. Now log off and go take your nap. Its after Noon already. 

Is this what McCourty told you?  LMAO!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

Babe, you are truly a fool. 2-years would be over half of the average career length of an NFL player. One good year is one good year! A second good year is a bonus. Now log off and go take your nap. Its after Noon already. 

Nice! But I didn't realize that McCourty really played a whole season......

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Nice! But I didn't realize that McCourty really played a whole season......

I dont know what you mean. I am talking about his rookie year. Started every game, went all-pro but it wasnt an indicator of what his future here would be. That was my point. In light of MANY people here who refused to give Revis credit by citing he has to do it over X amount of years, I have to call it straight. If u werent one, than obviously you are excluded, but it was a silly argument. I guess I see Babes point and yours as well.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

between talib and dowling we might have one healthy solid CB.  I will be very excited if they both can stay healthy. 

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

RAs is big, fast, he can tackle, he can cover. He isnt reliable, due to injury. If it isnt meant to be with the Pats, I surely see some one taking a chance on him. To say it his "last chance", I assume the OP meant with the Pats, not with the NFL

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from millergrnv. Show millergrnv's posts

In response to ZeeOff's comment:

In response to millergrnv's comment:

All I got to say about Ras-I Dowling is this is the last chance for him. He's been on the injury report more than he has on the football field. He has the size (6-1, 210 lbs.) at corner, but he's been injured. Hopefully he realizes that he's running out of chances or he'll be viewed as a wasted of a pick. 

If Ras-I is on the football field more than on the injury report, he gives himself a chance.

So I guess all he has to do is to decide not to get hurt again. Someone should pass this secret information on to Gronk, Hernandez, and Amendola.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Unlike most.. I am excited knowing this is our back-up outside CB...  That's good news even if he has not stayed healthy... behind him we got Logan training to take the spot from him who was a top 50 talent...

IMO the secondary is going to be the best it has been since SB years.  Possible the same can be said about our front 7.  

Lets hope so because right now this statement just looks like what Ive been hearing every year. Do you mean SB years as in the one we lost just 2 years ago. OR as in like 2007 when we lost, or do you mean "winning" SB years like Almost 10 years ago? Dont mean to attack your post, but what exactly warrants the statement "THIS" year??  Is it A.Wilson giving you confidence he will fix everything, because outside of that, I dont see this secondary being any different, on paper or in theory.  I feel like we will be around 25th or lower pass defense as usual and 1op 15 run D and our Pass Rush needs to improve. Our secondary hasnt changed much. Arrington is still here and is being paid as a starter if u didnt know

No problem man and you have every right to question it.  I predicate my reasoning starting with Talib.  I think he is motivated and will have a full year of Pats D under his belt.  He is a true number 1 CB even though not shut down.  Dennard looks like he can hold down the other side as a solid number 2, and hopefully will make strides going into year 2.  When these guys took over last year I actually felt confidant in our secondary again.  Not scared everytime a QB threw the ball. 

Then whether or not some of us want to believe it, Arrington graded out as a top 3 slot corner.  As long as he stays inside that makes a big 3 at the corner spots.  Now if Dowling stays healthly and back-ups a CB spot - that adds solid depth.  Throw in Logan Ryan who was a top 50 talent in this years draft and that adds even more depth.

I know BB doesn't believe in FS and SS but...Adrian Wilson is an upgrade at the SS spot.  McCourty will be all systems go as a fulltime FS in training camp, and I think he Developes his skills there instead of taking reps at CB and safety.  Tavon Wilson will add to the fire and played well outside of the Seattle game.  So I see improvement all around at the saftey position.

I see this as the Pats best secondary since the winning SB days.... This is my honest no homer opinion.  I mean just look at it on paper.

Wilson              McCourty

Dennard          Arrington              Talib

Looks promising to me. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

The OP said:  "Hopefully he realizes that he's running out of chances or he'll be viewed as a wasted of a pick."

= Classic!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

Agree with Getzo, I think finally we will see a quality D on the field this year. The good news is Reiss has singled Ras-I out twice now (latest today) for his performance in OTA's. Not training camp or games yet but its a start.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

No problem man and you have every right to question it.  I predicate my reasoning starting with Talib.  I think he is motivated and will have a full year of Pats D under his belt.  He is a true number 1 CB even though not shut down.  Dennard looks like he can hold down the other side as a solid number 2, and hopefully will make strides going into year 2.  When these guys took over last year I actually felt confidant in our secondary again.  Not scared everytime a QB threw the ball. 

Then whether or not some of us want to believe it, Arrington graded out as a top 3 slot corner.  As long as he stays inside that makes a big 3 at the corner spots.  Now if Dowling stays healthly and back-ups a CB spot - that adds solid depth.  Throw in Logan Ryan who was a top 50 talent in this years draft and that adds even more depth.

I know BB doesn't believe in FS and SS but...Adrian Wilson is an upgrade at the SS spot.  McCourty will be all systems go as a fulltime FS in training camp, and I think he Developes his skills there instead of taking reps at CB and safety.  Tavon Wilson will add to the fire and played well outside of the Seattle game.  So I see improvement all around at the saftey position.

I see this as the Pats best secondary since the winning SB days.... This is my honest no homer opinion.  I mean just look at it on paper.

Looks promising to me. 

Ok, Thanks for the response. I wasnt trying to be a d*ck, just wanted to hear how u felt. After clarification of "winning SB years" I think I can agree the potential is there. I just cant get too excited yet until I go to camp and see how it plays out. I think my opinion of Arrington is in the minority here. I do like his tacking abilit and agressive style of play. I dont like his man to man skills and he seems only suited to excel in zone, IMO.  I think the conundrum for me is A.) Yes, our secondary got much better with Talib, Dennard starting and playing mostly man/press which allowed us to blitz more and that started to change our defense. This doesnt work as well w/Arrington on the field as he is suited for zone. b.) if Dennard goes out and Arrington starts, he will get burned. The fact he graded out as a good "slot CB" is skewed by playing our weak division towards the end of the year. I noticed most of Arringtons improvements during last wks, but he got burnt a lot early. So in essence, what Im saying is a good to great Slot WR will still eat Arringtons lunch and one inury and he is outside getting waxed! I would ideally like to see Dowling and Talib outside with Dennard inside(giving us 3 man/press Cbs) and have arrington as the 4th DB, but 4mill/yr sais otherwise.

I do like what I see on paper, barring injuries, but thats not settling enough for me in June I guess. At the end of the day, if this Pats team still cannot pressure anybody, its all moot, IMO. I agree that McCourty should be ready to excel at FS if he stays there strictly and A.W. should provide the physical presence this team has been missing since Rodney, so I will say Im excited about those 2 things, but outside of that,. Talib is still an injury risk and we saw how we looked once he went down. Lets hope for the best

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Looks promising to me. 

Ok, Thanks for the response. I wasnt trying to be a d*ck, just wanted to hear how u felt. After clarification of "winning SB years" I think I can agree the potential is there. I just cant get too excited yet until I go to camp and see how it plays out. I think my opinion of Arrington is in the minority here. I do like his tacking abilit and agressive style of play. I dont like his man to man skills and he seems only suited to excel in zone, IMO.  I think the conundrum for me is A.) Yes, our secondary got much better with Talib, Dennard starting and playing mostly man/press which allowed us to blitz more and that started to change our defense. This doesnt work as well w/Arrington on the field as he is suited for zone. b.) if Dennard goes out and Arrington starts, he will get burned. The fact he graded out as a good "slot CB" is skewed by playing our weak division towards the end of the year. I noticed most of Arringtons improvements during last wks, but he got burnt a lot early. So in essence, what Im saying is a good to great Slot WR will still eat Arringtons lunch and one inury and he is outside getting waxed! I would ideally like to see Dowling and Talib outside with Dennard inside(giving us 3 man/press Cbs) and have arrington as the 4th DB, but 4mill/yr sais otherwise.

I do like what I see on paper, barring injuries, but thats not settling enough for me in June I guess. At the end of the day, if this Pats team still cannot pressure anybody, its all moot, IMO. I agree that McCourty should be ready to excel at FS if he stays there strictly and A.W. should provide the physical presence this team has been missing since Rodney, so I will say Im excited about those 2 things, but outside of that,. Talib is still an injury risk and we saw how we looked once he went down. Lets hope for the best

No doubt.  And I actually agree with a lot of your assessment.  It's time for this Pats D to be good again.  It's been 6 years since they put something on the field to cheer about.  Whether that was by design (bend don't break), or talent.... doesn't matter. 

Bottom line to me is that the arrow is pointing up for sure IMO.  No hope, wishing, or sugar coating.  I see a lot of talent on this D for the first time in a long time.